Why are so many excluding milk from their diet?

Options

Replies

• HeyMissNya
    HeyMissNya Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    rca27801 wrote: »
    I don't get it. I can understand not liking milk, but to exclude it solely because of dieting purposes? Am I missing something.

Milk is such an easy way to get in your protein. Fairlife milk provides me with 13 grams of protein per cup. If you love milk, I don't see any reason to stop drinking it.

I like milk, it just doesnt like me back, so Im experimenting with alternatives like almond/coconut/rice, especially unsweetened and low calorie versions.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Puss is gross, don't you know and cow's milk is full of it.
    yannie100 wrote: »
    Other than that, it's totally gross and not meant for human consumption.
    I always thought milk was nasty no matter the flavor

Yep this basically

I do drink almond / coconut milk with my cereal in the morning

so no cheese or ice cream? sad

Oh I do have cheese. I was eating goat cheese in my salad as I answered this post. :)

But goat's milk is free from pus. Good to know.

I don't drink the milk. I eat the cheese, which tends to have further pasteurization which destroys a lot of the bacteria. Any rate, goat cheese is easier on my stomach and that's what I go by.

Pus isn't bacteria. "Pus" is just a name for dead white blood cells. Pasteurization certainly isn't bringing them back to life.

For that matter, basically every animal product contains some quantity of dead white blood cells, because all animal tissue has some kind of blood supply.

All milk of all species contains it, too, since mammary ducts are a potential entry point for bacteria and thus the body is required to be able to mount an immune response against invasion.
  • Cyndiaquino
    Cyndiaquino Posts: 72 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I like having more calories for other foods. Instead of milk I will use Almond milk. Only 30 calories for 1 cup. I don't like the taste of milk, I would only use it in cereal, oatmeal, etc. Switching to Almond milk doesn't bother me.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

Yep this basically

Oh I do have cheese. I was eating goat cheese in my salad as I answered this post. :)

I don't drink the milk. I eat the cheese, which tends to have further pasteurization which destroys a lot of the bacteria. Any rate, goat cheese is easier on my stomach and that's what I go by.

Pus isn't bacteria. "Pus" is just a name for dead white blood cells. Pasteurization certainly isn't bringing them back to life.

For that matter, basically every animal product contains some quantity of dead white blood cells, because all animal tissue has some kind of blood supply.

All milk of all species contains it, too, since mammary ducts are a potential entry point for bacteria and thus the body is required to be able to mount an immune response against invasion.

Dead white blood cells in your food ... no, sorry, doesn't sound any more appetising than pus to me.

Also, there's a reason why they carry out 'pus counts' (somatic cell counts) .... farmers are penalised for high counts and rewarded for low ones, and if the count is too high then the milk is deemed unfit for human consumption.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    If I drink milk with pus, can I stop taking probiotics?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Yep this basically

Dead white blood cells in your food ... no, sorry, doesn't sound any more appetising than pus to me.

Also, there's a reason why they carry out 'pus counts' (somatic cell counts) .... farmers are penalised for high counts and rewarded for low ones, and if the count is too high then the milk is deemed unfit for human consumption.

Is it really any less appetizing-sounding or a more ridiculous statement than 'dead plant embryos in your food' if I were anti-nut/seed?

I suppose for maximum shock value I should rephrase to 'dead plant fetuses' or some such. And I'm sure someone can find a gif to suit.

It's a cell. Cells are in all living things. If you eat anything that's ever been alive, you're eating live or dead cells. Nothing makes a white blood cell more or less disgusting or appropriate to eat than a plant cell or a yeast cell or a skin cell or a muscle cell.

ETA: This thread is just ... it explains a lot.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Yep this basically

Is it really any less appetizing-sounding or a more ridiculous statement than 'dead plant embryos in your food' if I were anti-nut/seed?

I suppose for maximum shock value I should rephrase to 'dead plant fetuses' or some such.

It's a cell. Cells are in all living things. If you eat anything that's ever been alive, you're eating live or dead cells. Nothing makes a white blood cell more or less disgusting or appropriate to eat than a plant cell or a yeast cell or a skin cell or a muscle cell.

But propaganda sounds so much more convincing when one tries to use gross words to describe things that don't fit their agenda.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I just drink a cup of milk a day. I consider anything more to be a waste of calories.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »

Yep this basically

I suppose for maximum shock value I should rephrase to 'dead plant fetuses' or some such.

But propaganda sounds so much more convincing when one tries to use gross words to describe things that don't fit their agenda.

Ot but this reminds me of people who say the red liquid from red meat is blood and call medium-rare, etc bloody so they cook it more to get rid of the blood. No, no,no. It is not blood.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Grew up in dairy country. Worked in dairies. Milked cows.
    Leaving this thread before the ignorance blinds me. Don't believe everything you read, folks, especially if it comes from that lunatic Food Babe.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I like having more calories for other foods. Instead of milk I will use Almond milk. Only 30 calories for 1 cup. I don't like the taste of milk, I would only use it in cereal, oatmeal, etc. Switching to Almond milk doesn't bother me.

But almond milk is nothing more than strained nut-water.

• mellyo77
    mellyo77 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Completely irrelevant to the thread question but I have seen comments about milk being pus....uhm regardless of whether its dead cells blah blah....if you are turned off by consuming pus....wouldn't you be absolutely loath to eat flesh ? Sometimes I wonder about people. I'm not vegan either before the comments start...just curious at the logic
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I love milk but I am watching saturated fats. I used soy milk in my cereal because the rest of the family wont drink 1% or skim milk
  • mellyo77
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

But almond milk is nothing more than strained nut-water.

mmmmm nut water :*<3
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    dn02qbcaeta7.jpeg

• 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I love all dairy, I just can't eat or drink it. a14.gif
  • mellyo77
    Options
    YES! @ ^^^^^
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    mellyo77 wrote: »
    Do you have to bust a nut to get nut juice, or is it simply a matter of squeezing them?
  • mellyo77
    Options
    mellyo77 wrote: »
    Do you have to bust a nut to get nut juice, or is it simply a matter of squeezing them?

Either or I would assume, put the nuts in a blender and blend them with a really sharp blade and then put them in cheese cloth and squeeze the *kitten* out of them....sounds delicious
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Yep this basically

But... Steak is flesh cut off a dead cow. Eggs are little baby chicks who never had a chance. Foods with probiotics (like yogurt, sauer kraut, kimchi) are literally full of bacteria. Have you read about how many bacteria and parasites are living all over us and inside of us??? The whole slew of theories about gut health centers around what type of bacteria we have in our digestive system and if we are feeding them properly. There are viruses floating in the air and sitting on just about every surface you touch. There are dust mites in your bed, eating your dead skin cells.

Life is dirty. And if you think about it too much, it will give you the permanent willies.

That's why I drink alcohol too. It helps me think less about that sort of thing, and hopefully kills some of the little buggers on the way down. :naughty: