Why are so many excluding milk from their diet?

Options

Replies

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I just don't want to drink my calories is all. Unless it is a real drink.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Humans the only adult animal on the planet that drinks milk...that should tell you something...

Wow, that has to be the most ridiculous answer on this thread yet.

"Humans are the only adult animal on the planet that "insert just about anything humans do here". If we didn't do the things humans do, we wouldn't be here, chatting on this fabulous bit of technology. Which is, by the way, yet another thing that only humans do.

Not true

9mczs3mgoryy.jpeg

Yeah, but can it read sheet music? ;)
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Milk does a body good. Cookies do not (enjoyment, yes, health, no). I like the two together. I will have milk but not as much as I would like (I would drink about a half gallon a day if I let myself). Its a great source of protein, calcium and vitamin d. It also has a lot of calories. I try to save it for days when I don't have much of an appetite and need to get my calories up. Some people like it, some don't.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Well, there certainly are a lot of people with lactose intolerance, judging by how many mention it, so it's obvious that from a health point of view dairy products definitely aren't suitable for everyone. Some say consuming dairy negatively affects their skin, for others it's their digestive system that suffers, but many go on to mention the problems improved or disappeared completely when they stopped eating dairy.

Apart from health reasons, I think the main reason to cut dairy from your diet completely is the ethical one. Vegans won't financially support the meat/egg/dairy industries because of bad practices in farming resulting in cruelty and unnecessary suffering inflicted on many farm animals (especially intensively farmed ones) but also because there are plenty of healthy alternative foods available to eat instead.

Whether it's hens, chicks, dairy cows and their calves or animals raised for meat, many of them are denied sometimes even their most basic needs. Since animals are conscious beings (experience hunger, thirst, pain, emotions etc) they deserve at the very least better treatment.

Anyway, here's an amusing little something from vegansidekick.com:

Omnivore: OMG, vegans are so self-righteous! You think you're better than other people.
    Vegan: No I don't. I just don't want to harm animals.
    Omni: Yeah well, you just do that because you think it makes you right, and then you feel proud of yourself.
    Vegan: Er yeah, that's called having a conscience. What's the alternative? Do what I know is harmful and then feel bad about it?
    Omni: Yeah.

:smile:

I know, I know, I know. You told us this already. Many times.
  • betzd189
    betzd189 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Last 3 to 4 hours energy and keeps me full
  • betzd189
    betzd189 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    With Gnc lean 25 shakes
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I excluded it when doing whole30 an discovered it was responsible for a lot of digestive issues so I have no dairy now, I dont miss milk as I have almond milk instead but I really miss greek yoghurt :(
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Actually when I study nutrition in college, our professor told us that the human body was never designed to drink cows milk. And the dairy industry is lying to the general public because calcium that is in milk cannot be digested by the human body. It is marketing ploy. They get away with this because it's true calcium is in milk but they fail to tell the general public that calcium in cow's milk cannot be digested by the human body.

We were not "designed" to do most of the things that we do.

• TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    I couldn't care less what anyone else eats, but living creatures are hurt in the farming of plant foods too.

I'm sure you couldn't care less about a lot of things, but since the OP is asking why so many exclude milk and I have what I see as justifiable reasons for excluding it from my own diet, there's my opinion.

Re the plant food farming, vegansidekick says:
    While there will be casualties in crop farming and, while vegans would prefer it not to be so, it is the least harmful thing most people can do. To feed animals to the age of slaughter it requires many times more plants to be harvested than if we just ate plants ourselves. You might argue that we could instead just eat exclusively grass-fed animals who do not require grain, but this is entirely impractical. First, most 'grass-fed' animals are not fed 100% grass anyway, and, secondly, it's not sustainable at all to try to feed 7 billion people exclusively on 'grass-fed' meat. There isn't the space available for such a thing, and good luck living exclusively off meat and nothing else.

• TrickyDisco
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    I know, I know, I know. You told us this already. Many times.

Ah, resorting to the old 'you keep harping on about this' line now, are we? It's not many times yet, but as and when these subjects arise then, yes, I'll be voicing my opinion along with everyone else's, including the well-repeated ones, because there'll often be someone new interested in reading all our different opinions for the first time. Yours included, don't you agree?

• Ajocal18
    Ajocal18 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I don't care for plain milk at all. I LIVE for cheese and sour cream. Unfortunately I recently discovered I am intolerant. None of the vegan replacements come close all I taste is nutritional yeast blech. Bless their heart for trying but I think I'll just live dairy free until they come up with a replacement that taste remotely like cheese or sour cream.

That being said I feel amazing being dairy/ gluten free and can't believe I spent so many years poisoning myself. I know that all people don't respond the same however there are a large number of people who are intolerant and I think that MIGHT be evidence that its not good for people as a whole. Its possible people who aren't intolerant are just intolerant to a lesser degree than I was and don't notice. I mean I was walking around chronically bloated and tired for 24 years and never linked it together so who knows.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    lol. Now it's "poison". This stuff never ends.
  • Ajocal18
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

I do not think dairy is poison in general , I have been told by my primary care physician my body is unable to process dairy and negatively impacts my health so yes to myself and other intolerant people its akin to poison.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ajocal18 wrote: »

I do not think dairy is poison in general , I have been told by my primary care physician my body is unable to process dairy and negatively impacts my health so yes to myself and other intolerant people its akin to poison.

Whatever. It's just so ridiculously dramatic. You have lactose intolerance and PCOS. Okay. Sucks for you and I'm sorry for that. Still doesn't make milk or gluten "poison" unless you are just trying to be overly dramatic. It's silly.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Whatever. It's just so ridiculously dramatic. You have lactose intolerance and PCOS. Okay. Sucks for you and I'm sorry for that. Still doesn't make milk or gluten "poison" unless you are just trying to be overly dramatic. It's silly.

It's MFP so either one extreme or the other. Either milk is poison or it's nectar of the gods.

And it's either eating no meat at all or eating nothing but meat. There is no other position.

Choose wisely. One side has ice cream...

...and steak.
  • Ajocal18
    Options

LOL, fine maybe it is dramatic but I tend to be that way! I don't think there is anything wrong with dairy I just cant eat it and I know I don't respond well. I think it would be different if I declared it was poison for everyone. Just making an observation or comparison based on my reaction.

If someone can tolerate dairy I say eat all the dairy. No agenda and could definitely not care less about the animal cruelty aspect.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    As long as the dairy product comes from cows that are humanely raised go for it! :smiley:
  • TrickyDisco
    Options

Now you're nit-picking. You know what she meant, and so would any other reasonable person who read it. Yet even when she explains herself more clearly in her next post, saying it's 'akin to poison' - couldn't be any clearer - apparently that's just not good enough and you continue to attempt to twist her comment into something more sinister. Sad.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I couldn't care less what anyone else eats, but living creatures are hurt in the farming of plant foods too.

I'm sure you couldn't care less about a lot of things, but since the OP is asking why so many exclude milk and I have what I see as justifiable reasons for excluding it from my own diet, there's my opinion.

To be honest, OP's thread got hijacked by the anti-milk crowd (pus and whatnot). OP was asking about excluding milk for dieting purposes, for which he got good answers that got lost in a sea of "i'm not a baby cow".
  • Ajocal18
    Options

Now you're nit-picking. You know what she meant, and so would any other reasonable person who read it. Yet even when she explains herself more clearly in her next post, saying it's 'akin to poison' - couldn't be any clearer - apparently that's just not good enough and you continue to attempt to twist her comment into something more sinister. Sad.

Thank you! I thought maybe I was being overly sensitive, I guess not smiley: