Why are so many excluding milk from their diet?

Options

Replies

• TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    I couldn't care less what anyone else eats, but living creatures are hurt in the farming of plant foods too.

I'm sure you couldn't care less about a lot of things, but since the OP is asking why so many exclude milk and I have what I see as justifiable reasons for excluding it from my own diet, there's my opinion.

To be honest, OP's thread got hijacked by the anti-milk crowd (pus and whatnot). OP was asking about excluding milk for dieting purposes, for which he got good answers that got lost in a sea of "i'm not a baby cow".

Maybe it got hijacked by the anti-anti-milk crowd (hidden agendas and propaganda), but of course some of them don't think anyone dairy-free has a right to comment at all. Which is odd when the thread is titled 'Why are so many excluding milk from their diet?'

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Ajocal18 wrote: »
    lol. Now it's "poison". This stuff never ends.

I do not think dairy is poison in general , I have been told by my primary care physician my body is unable to process dairy and negatively impacts my health so yes to myself and other intolerant people its akin to poison.

Whatever. It's just so ridiculously dramatic. You have lactose intolerance and PCOS. Okay. Sucks for you and I'm sorry for that. Still doesn't make milk or gluten "poison" unless you are just trying to be overly dramatic. It's silly.

Now you're nit-picking. You know what she meant, and so would any other reasonable person who read it. Yet even when she explains herself more clearly in her next post, saying it's 'akin to poison' - couldn't be any clearer - apparently that's just not good enough and you continue to attempt to twist her comment into something more sinister. Sad.

I don't think anyone even called milk poison. I believe the post said "poisoning myself" and clarified that it was because of intolerance.
  • TrickyDisco
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

And it's either eating no meat at all or eating nothing but meat. There is no other position.

Choose wisely. One side has ice cream...

...and steak.

Haha, the meat-only side have only meat-flavoured ice cream to eat, then. No vanilla, strawberry or chocolate for you lot, whereas we get to eat lovely, creamy-tasting, dairy-free frozen desserts. Hope your bowels cope ok with all that meat and no plant fibre too. :smiley:

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I do not think dairy is poison in general , I have been told by my primary care physician my body is unable to process dairy and negatively impacts my health so yes to myself and other intolerant people its akin to poison.

Whatever. It's just so ridiculously dramatic. You have lactose intolerance and PCOS. Okay. Sucks for you and I'm sorry for that. Still doesn't make milk or gluten "poison" unless you are just trying to be overly dramatic. It's silly.

Now you're nit-picking. You know what she meant, and so would any other reasonable person who read it. Yet even when she explains herself more clearly in her next post, saying it's 'akin to poison' - couldn't be any clearer - apparently that's just not good enough and you continue to attempt to twist her comment into something more sinister. Sad.

Yea, the remainder of her post that continued to talk about how it might be poison for everyone and people are walking around feeling like crap but just don't know it didn't insinuate at all that she thinks milk is "poison" for most of the population. Sad.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Yea, the remainder of her post that continued to talk about how it might be poison for everyone and people are walking around feeling like crap but just don't know it didn't insinuate at all that she thinks milk is "poison" for most of the population. Sad.

All of that post clearly said it was just an opinion though. "I think that MIGHT..." "Its possible..." "...who knows"

I understand that it's not an opinion that you share, but it does seem like more drama was created by the reply than originally existed.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

For example: "That being said I feel amazing being dairy/ gluten free and can't believe I spent so many years poisoning myself. I know that all people don't respond the same however there are a large number of people who are intolerant and I think that MIGHT be evidence that its not good for people as a whole. Its possible people who aren't intolerant are just intolerant to a lesser degree than I was and don't notice."

In that it's well-known that there is actually a genetic difference between people with lactose persistence and people who are lactose intolerant, this whole "maybe it's really bad for everyone and they just don't notice" is odd. Or, you know, maybe we have the lactase enzyme. In that my ancestors are all from areas where lactose intolerance is quite uncommon, and I have always felt just as good consuming dairy as not (and I often go through phases where I don't consume much of it, so it's not like I just don't know I feel bad), I think probably the inability to consume dairy is not, in fact, an issue for humans in general.

Last time I had penicillin I ended up in the hospital, but I don't speculate this is some kind of overarching human thing.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

And it's either eating no meat at all or eating nothing but meat. There is no other position.

...and steak.

Haha, the meat-only side have only meat-flavoured ice cream to eat, then. No vanilla, strawberry or chocolate for you lot, whereas we get to eat lovely, creamy-tasting, dairy-free frozen desserts. Hope your bowels cope ok with all that meat and no plant fibre too. :smiley:

Oh, my bowels/health/conscience/body comp are just fine...

...because I take a realistic, comprehensive approach to diet/life and don't subscribe to the MFP binary.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Humans the only adult animal on the planet that drinks milk...that should tell you something...

Wow, that has to be the most ridiculous answer on this thread yet.

"Humans are the only adult animal on the planet that "insert just about anything humans do here". If we didn't do the things humans do, we wouldn't be here, chatting on this fabulous bit of technology. Which is, by the way, yet another thing that only humans do.

Not true

9mczs3mgoryy.jpeg

Yeah, but can it read sheet music? ;)

Well maybe if you hum a few bars.
  • TrickyDisco
    Options

Re-read it more carefully this time?
    LOL, fine maybe it is dramatic but I tend to be that way! I don't think there is anything wrong with dairy I just cant eat it and I know I don't respond well. I think it would be different if I declared it was poison for everyone. Just making an observation or comparison based on my reaction.

If someone can tolerate dairy I say eat all the dairy. No agenda and could definitely not care less about the animal cruelty aspect.

• senecarr
    Options
    It's pretty simple. Milk is what baby cows live off of. They grow huge, both in muscle in fat. So to do the same, drink milk. Most don't want to get huge from fat, so drink skim milk instead, and you'll get just the huge muscle result.
    Simple, isn't it? There, no need for a page 15.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Re-read it more carefully this time?
    LOL, fine maybe it is dramatic but I tend to be that way! I don't think there is anything wrong with dairy I just cant eat it and I know I don't respond well. I think it would be different if I declared it was poison for everyone. Just making an observation or comparison based on my reaction.

If someone can tolerate dairy I say eat all the dairy. No agenda and could definitely not care less about the animal cruelty aspect.

I don't see your point? I never replied to her final point that you quoted?

And yes, I replied that using the term poison was overly dramatic. Not sure what you seem to be insinuating with your passive aggressiveness. Can you please adult?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I couldn't care less what anyone else eats, but living creatures are hurt in the farming of plant foods too.

I'm sure you couldn't care less about a lot of things, but since the OP is asking why so many exclude milk and I have what I see as justifiable reasons for excluding it from my own diet, there's my opinion.

To be honest, OP's thread got hijacked by the anti-milk crowd (pus and whatnot). OP was asking about excluding milk for dieting purposes, for which he got good answers that got lost in a sea of "i'm not a baby cow".

Maybe it got hijacked by the anti-anti-milk crowd (hidden agendas and propaganda), but of course some of them don't think anyone dairy-free has a right to comment at all. Which is odd when the thread is titled 'Why are so many excluding milk from their diet?'

Lolz.

Perhaps I can reintroduce you to the entirety of the OP and not just the title?
    rca27801 wrote: »
    I don't get it. I can understand not liking milk, but to exclude it solely because of dieting purposes? Am I missing something.

Milk is such an easy way to get in your protein. Fairlife milk provides me with 13 grams of protein per cup. If you love milk, I don't see any reason to stop drinking it.

Right there. First post of this thread. He's asking about exclusion for dietary purposes. And then he closes by making an appeal to "those that love milk" to not give up something they like for caloric reasons.

Could you please tell me how your moral and ethical problems with dairy, meat, or the treatment of animals in general have any place in this thread?
  • AmandaOmega
    AmandaOmega Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk because I'm on a strict calorie limit (1200), and it doesn't do anything to fill me up; I also avoid other kinds of empty calories like tea, coffee, orange juice, etc. The only thing I drink is water.. On occasion, I will have it when I eat cereal (I don't eat cereal often, either). Otherwise I get my protein from chicken, eggs, etc.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    I know, I know, I know. You told us this already. Many times.

Ah, resorting to the old 'you keep harping on about this' line now, are we? It's not many times yet, but as and when these subjects arise then, yes, I'll be voicing my opinion along with everyone else's, including the well-repeated ones, because there'll often be someone new interested in reading all our different opinions for the first time. Yours included, don't you agree?

Maybe you should start your own thread instead of continually attempting to hijack this one with your off topic moralizing?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

It's MFP so either one extreme or the other. Either milk is poison or it's nectar of the gods.

...and steak.

If one side is no meat and the other meat-only, neither side have both ice cream (not meat) and steak (meat).
  • senecarr
    Options

It's MFP so either one extreme or the other. Either milk is poison or it's nectar of the gods.

...and steak.

If one side is no meat and the other meat-only, neither side have both ice cream (not meat) and steak (meat).

Ice cream is meat juice frozen.
  • ltssharon
    ltssharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. I can understand not liking milk, but to exclude it solely because of dieting purposes? Am I missing something.

Milk is such an easy way to get in your protein. Fairlife milk provides me with 13 grams of protein per cup. If you love milk, I don't see any reason to stop drinking it.

I totally agree. I freeze a tray of low fat milk cubes. I put them in my cuisinart with 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, half a peeled and then frozen banana and some stevia. Sometimes I add instant coffee. Needs a couple tablespoons of liquid, Use the cuisinart, and you have a QUART of milkshake. TRY AND BEAT THAT ANYBODY -. YUM nutritious. The women in my family die of broken hips - just fall down somewhere, don't get found and die alone in pain. This is my solution. I do this twice a day. I promise you will love it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

...and steak.

::noway::
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    ltssharon wrote: »

I totally agree. I freeze a tray of low fat milk cubes. I put them in my cuisinart with 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, half a peeled and then frozen banana and some stevia. Sometimes I add instant coffee. Needs a couple tablespoons of liquid, Use the cuisinart, and you have a QUART of milkshake. TRY AND BEAT THAT ANYBODY -. YUM nutritious. The women in my family die of broken hips - just fall down somewhere, don't get found and die alone in pain. This is my solution. I do this twice a day. I promise you will love it.

I would not love it. I hate bananas.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

...and steak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46iPFTCZ9LA