WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    ljdw99 wrote: »
    I'm having a real problem reaching my protein goal each day...potassium & iron can be an issue too. Guess I'm going to have to do a google search...I really don't want to go the protein powder route. Is anyone else having a similar issue?

I was having that problem... I add 3 tbs. crushed hemp hearts to my oatmeal in the morning and that helps.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • SugarDarlin1959
    SugarDarlin1959 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I tried to go back to work this week but being only 3 weeks post op I realized I need more time to recover. So I am home, feeling somewhat depressed because I am so ready to get back to life and to working out. :'( I know I can focus on my nutrition. I just want to get back to being active!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn, I used to spray outside before I built my spray booth. It was fine except for the wind that would swirl around and blow the overspray right back in my face. I built the spray booth with a big fan motor that pulls the overspray to the back and outside through a big vent. It works pretty well. Has a light inside and everything. My old compressor used to sit underneath the spray booth, but the new one is much bigger. I put it in the next room to cut down on the noise, and hubby ran the hose up along the ceiling for me. I like to do handbuilding sometimes. It's a really good way to use up the clay that's a little to hard for me to throw with. I like my throwing clay really soft. Have you ever done foam press plates? Thats a really good activity for kids. You roll a slab, cut out the shape you want, then decorate it with textures and stamps and things like that. You make some kind of a little press form out of wood or bisque. Then you place the slab on top of a thick sheet of foam, like upholstery foam, center the press form on it and press it down into the foam. The sides come up to form a dish. You probably already know about them, but if not, let me know and i can send you pictures. I have a really cute little fish dish that's done that way.

I had planned to take DGD#1 to Joplin to shop for clothes this afternoon after school. Her birthday is on Saturday but she will be at her mom's this weekend. Then last night my son called and said that the ex is picking up the kids today after school, so he wanted to keep her home from school so we could go shopping today instead. I don't feel really good about her missing school to go shopping, but I guess thats what we are going to do. So, I took the others to school, went to the Y, and came home for a few minutes before going back to pick her up. It should be fun, just the two of us.

It stormed last night but this morning there's no evidence of it. The ground was so dry it just sucked it up, I guess. We might get more rain today, but hopefully no snow like they're getting in Colorado. I'm really ready for spring!

Gotta go shop! Have a fantastic day!

Sylvia

• kurzap
    kurzap Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Happy Spring y'all. I am new here. Have been doing MFP for just about 1 yr. now and enjoy logging food & excercise. Goal to loose 20 lbs. lost 10 and have been stuck for months now, up and down. I walk everyday 30-50 min. and do step aerobics 3x a week. I am 62 yrs young. I have arthritis & scolosis issues, but walking is my salvation, builds endorphins and really helps when hurting. My diet is mostly low carb, and no fast food, but I do love my wine in the evening. Ha! Looking for new motivation to get unstuck and loose my other 10 lbs. Best to all!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Air Bags ~ I had to have both air bags replaced on my 2007 Accord. They kept sending me letters until I finally took it in. Evidently, the air bag manufacturer caused thousands of recalls on different car models and it has been reported that some of the replacements were no better.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    I have not gotten any notice on my Honda that there is anything wrong with my car; but, with all the hoopla about issues with air bags, it does concern me. Car companies are slow to let you know about it several months after you hear the news on the news. I love my Accord; 3rd one; first one I bought from my BnL with $$ I got from inheritance; next one a used car with only one previous owner. I found paperwork in the car with his name in car, so I called him and asked about the car. He said that right after buying it, they found out his wife was pregnant; and they would not have the space to put all their baby stuff in it with luggage and 2 other children; but, he would have kept the car other than that ... said it was a good one. Backed into a pole the day before we were leaving to visit DYS in Louisiana; did not know it the damage to it would prevent us from opening or closing trunk, got an estimate to fix it; and, drove out to the Honda place to get oil change and rotate the wheels. I thought, why not take a test drive in the 2015 Honda; liked all the features and decided to trade it. Traded 6-cylindar for 4-cylindar and DH was concerned about the power of it. It has about the same power as my 6-cylindar. When wanting or needing to get on the Interstate or passing a car. That's one thing I asked about and when I did the test drive - it had a lot of pep; and when going around a sharp turn at 45mph - hugged the road. We have a "c" shaped portion of road that is very curvy going home, plus another sharp curve; so, kept the cruise control on 55mph (posted speed) and it hugged the road. That was one thing I did not think that my 6-cylindar did that well; my DOS would take them at 70mph and it always felt like it would leave the road when I was a passenger in the car; DH was about the same way. I absolutely love car and gets great gas mileage - better than 6-cylindar. Salesman said he had had both; and, would never buy another 6-cylindar. I had dealt with him before and he was a good salesman. A few months ago, after a night of clubbing, he and his wife had an argument about who was going to drive 'his' truck home; he got out and started walking; and, she ran over him. Story was that she hit him with the mirror and then ran over him by 'accident' and killed him. Usually, with driving under the influence, that is automatically considered 'manslaughter'; but, have not heard anything about her being charged, But, could have missed it on the news. They had only been married 6 months. I can't imagine how she must feel about all of it. This car will probably be my last one. I intend to drive it until it won't go anymore.

Lenora
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    kurzap wrote: »
    Happy Spring y'all. I am new here. Have been doing MFP for just about 1 yr. now and enjoy logging food & excercise. Goal to loose 20 lbs. lost 10 and have been stuck for months now, up and down. I walk everyday 30-50 min. and do step aerobics 3x a week. I am 62 yrs young. I have arthritis & scolosis issues, but walking is my salvation, builds endorphins and really helps when hurting. My diet is mostly low carb, and no fast food, but I do love my wine in the evening. Ha! Looking for new motivation to get unstuck and loose my other 10 lbs. Best to all!

I handle 99% of my diet by using portion control. Basically, I eat whatever I want but measure portion sizes and and count the calories. I was NOT good at portion control with wine, so I had to stop. I wish you luck. :flowerforyou:
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Happy Thursday ! Sending good thoughts and warm hugs to all!

My daughter has made good progress with her knee and I am leaving tomorrow for home (and my own bed)! I've had to push her these last days to be independent doing stuff around her apt. The only thing she really still can't manage is the kitty litter box. Fortunately she has a really good friend in the building who will tend to that for her. I've stressed how important it is for her to get up and going and do her PT as instructed. She is moving to Richmond, VA and at this point it is totally up to her to get in gear! We will see.

In the meantime my husband has numerous job interviews coming up...2 in Ohio, 2 in Virginia, 1 in PA and 1 in Florida. Something will come through. Been at this for 16 months!

Haven't been able to read through all posts like I normally do but will try and catch up this weekend.

Have a good one!

Cheri
    Currently in Chicago heading home to Fairlawn, oHIo tomorrow!!!!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,327 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    Just got a minute while DDIL is reading with DGD, DGS is at school and the baby is sleeping. Got to go and pick DGS up soon, but it's spitting with rain, so might let DH go on his own rather than drag DGD out.

DH had a really bad attack of indigestion in the night, so we were hunting for Rennies. He didn't completely get rid of it, but did eventually get back to sleep.The bed is not as large or as comfortable as ours at home, so we never sleep brilliantly here. Luckily I grabbed a nap when DGD had hers. :D

Marcelyn - I have no idea how you survived that week with six! !

DDIL's friend came over, and the midwife arrived for a check up, so we had a full house. DS is in Brighton for a meeting, but will be back for bathtime. Then we have to make a dash for the last train and our train picnic. Calories a bit off today and no exercise , so I will be well over.
    I must say, I'm a bit worried about how we will cope next week, staying 3 nights. :ohwell: Both children will be home full time.

Love to all, Heather UK
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Lenora - I understand, and I never meant to imply that you were racist. In fact, my post didn't mention race at all. I'm just speaking from direct personal experience here. Our household income is now less than half of what it once was. We've hung on by our fingernails and never filed for bankruptcy (didn't have unemployment last time, either) although we did have to sell our home and have been gradually trying to unload anything that had a resale value. Someone who didn't know how bad our financial struggles have been and how hard it is to adjust to this new reality might think we're living pretty high because we've got some trappings from a life that's gone forever now. That's why variations on the theme of "they can afford X but they can't afford Y" hit me in a pretty tender spot. I firmly believe that corporate and government attempts to promote demonization of poor people and withholding of compassion in our society are deliberate smokescreens to mask deep problems in the U.S. economy. We can't know someone else's story.

Joyce - I agree that Shep could be a model. That dog is ridiculously handsome!

Everybody with airbag issues - Our niece has been going through similar aggravations with the airbags in her car. She got the recall notice, but the dealer won't have the parts to fix it until they don't know when. In the meantime, I guess she's just supposed to avoid getting into an accident! This seems to be a very widespread problem in the auto industry.

Lillian - Thanks for the scoop on the crushed hemp. I also struggle to get in enough protein, so I'm always looking for ideas. I just started strength training again, so it's going to be even more important to stay on top of my protein intake.

I pick up the new foster dog tomorrow! Getting kind of excited to have a pointy dog around the house again. We'll have to see what Luna and the cats make of it.

-Yvonne in TX
  • lcottomsvcs
    lcottomsvcs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm having a real problem reaching my protein goal each day...potassium & iron can be an issue too. Guess I'm going to have to do a google search...I really don't want to go the protein powder route. Is anyone else having a similar issue?

I am eating the Quaker Weight Control oatmeal. It has whey powder in it to up the protein content. Keeps me full longer, I eat breakfast at about 0530, then can't eat lunch at school until 12:00. You might try that, just a suggestion.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    10,000 Kettlebell Swing Challenge

GobletSquat- 3X7X 25
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 50X10X25 = 500

Day 24 Challenge Total = 8,870

Swimming

Freestyle- 45 minutes

I know yesterday I said I don't like exercise I love to eat. I want to re-state that and say I love what exercise does for me, it allows me to eat!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • lcottomsvcs
    lcottomsvcs Posts: 25 Member
    Options

I handle 99% of my diet by using portion control. Basically, I eat whatever I want but measure portion sizes and and count the calories. I was NOT good at portion control with wine, so I had to stop. I wish you luck. :flowerforyou:[/quote]

I am doing the same thing. Trying to limit the wine to one glass a night. Good luck!
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options

I have a terrible time getting enough protein within my calorie goals. I do use protein powder and love it. My favorite is Jay Robb, as it is all natural and has high protein quantities. MRM is second, but it has less protein in it. Sprouts brand is MRM, apparently, so it's a cheaper option if that's a factor. I do protein shakes a few times a week and add pp to oatmeal. I also make homemade protein bars, which are delicious - my daughter loves them.

In addition, I eat a lot of hardboiled eggs and omelets. I add eggs to salads, tuna, sandwiches, and anything else I think of, with some always ready in the refrigerator. Chicken, of course, is the go to and I eat it with most meals. Finally, I eat raw almonds, pecans, cashews, and there are many flavors of nut butter that all seem to fall within the same protein/calorie range. I have the nut butters either by the spoonful or with apple.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
    MORNING PEEPS -

Kirby has his followup app. today, and he gets to have his bandage removed. he still ran today, 5k at 9.10min mi, he is coming back and coming back strong!
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,775 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    MORNING PEEPS -

Kirby has his followup app. today, and he gets to have his bandage removed. he still ran today, 5k at 9.10min mi, he is coming back and coming back strong!

That's great news!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Pip- that is great news about Kirby! Both of you have made remarkable strides in your recoveries. You both are amazing!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    This must be the week of car issues. I took my car in for regular servicing and told them about a little glitch that had been happening with the start/stop feature. Turns out they had to replace a part. Had the part in stock but were missing a bolt so they had to order it. In the meantime I have a loaner car. I'm scared to drive it! Seriously it is a BEAUTIFUL car. An Audi A7. A super-charged beast. Totally loaded with every expensive toy and perk possible. Yes, it is one of their regular loaner cars. The window sticker was in the glove box and it listed at $72,900! Yikes! I'm thinking it's safest in my garage. lol (but my husband did insist we go to dinner last night and uh... he drove. lol)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,327 Member
    Options
    o8gbgedikdkt.jpg

A DH pile! :laugh: <3

sqwp4q6ug8ev.jpg

I took this with Bea in my arms. <3<3<3

Heather UK