Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are all calories the same??

Replies

• lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Considering the fact that SAD stands for Standard American Diet, and recent research shows that only 3 percent of Americans have healthy lifestyles, I think that most people have poor diets, especially most people who are overweight. You don't see how "a calorie is a calorie" is leading some people to eat a poor diet when people are posting questions about replacing their dinner with beer, because it's the same amount of calories, and people are saying that's OK?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Considering the fact that SAD stands for Standard American Diet, and recent research shows that only 3 percent of Americans have healthy lifestyles, I think that most people have poor diets, especially most people who are overweight. You don't see how "a calorie is a calorie" is leading some people to eat a poor diet when people are posting questions about replacing their dinner with beer, because it's the same amount of calories, and people are saying that's OK?

The SAD diet doesn't disprove a calorie is a calorie. It doesn't even address any metabolic variations in the digestion or use of foods by the body. It is a coined term for what the average American eats and embodies both a highly caloric diet but one that is accompanied by little to NO exercise.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    edited March 2016

Is there an actual definition for the SAD? With quantifiable numbers? I would think if it were "Standard" there would be Standards by which to measure it, but for all that term gets thrown around on these boards I've never seen any clear definition with measurable parameters that one could use to determine if they were eating the SAD.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

No, I think that people who choose to eat a poor diet are making that choice, and not because they don't know they should eat a better diet. Telling the truth -- namely that you don't eat to eat specific foods to lose weight -- is never a bad thing. People should make decisions based on accurate information, not be lied to, and the idea that if we tell people they can lose weight eating more and less nutritious foods that they won't eat nutritious food seems to me to be quite paternalist and insulting. Respect others to make the same good choices that you would.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Is there an actual definition for the SAD? With quantifiable numbers? I would think if it were "Standard" there would be Standards by which to measure it, but for all that term gets thrown around on these boards I've never seen any clear definition with measurable parameters that one could use to determine if they were eating the SAD.

I don't think so. I think it's just based on the deplorable numbers that surveys indicate for stuff like vegetable and fruit consumption, sat fat consumption, added sugar, stuff like that. But of course there are huge variations. I don't really know anyone who eats the stereotypical SAD.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

Where did you get this 3% number?
  • psuLemon
    queenliz99 wrote: »

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10357934/less-than-3-percent-of-americans-live-a-healthy-lifestyle/p1
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    psulemon wrote: »

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10357934/less-than-3-percent-of-americans-live-a-healthy-lifestyle/p1

But she's using the undefined "SAD" and a statistic that refers to multiple facets of what makes up a "healthy lifestyle" to extrapolate information regarding food intake only.

demotivation.us_Logic-Youre-doing-it-wrong_13095256582.jpg
  • psuLemon
    auddii wrote: »

But she's using the undefined "SAD" and a statistic that refers to multiple facets of what makes up a "healthy lifestyle" to extrapolate information regarding food intake only.

demotivation.us_Logic-Youre-doing-it-wrong_13095256582.jpg

I know. Merely was pointed out where that tidbit of information came from. I don't think its accurate since it was based on a survey with 4 basic parameters. Far from being a solid "study". I equate it to the study they did on how addictive foods where, which was based on a survey of college kids.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

Ummm. Nope. Logic and bias fail.

None of that (even if it wasn't full of holes and issues) supports that the idea "a calorie is a calorie" is the prevailing groupthink or impacts those numbers negatively or positively - you're making spacious suppositions.

Please to post which thread people are generally replacing dinner with beer and being supported as a good idea.
  • auddii

None of that (even if it wasn't full of holes and issues) supports that the idea "a calorie is a calorie" is the prevailing groupthink or impacts those numbers negatively or positively - you're making spacious suppositions.

Please to post which thread people are generally replacing dinner with beer and being supported as a good idea.

She can't there's a current thread about replacing dinner with beer, and almost every post in it says to get enough nutrition, focus on lean proteins and veggies throughout the day, and set aside some calories for beer. Including my own advice.

But, that doesn't support her point, so instead she ignores the majority of the answers.
  • queenliz99

She can't there's a current thread about replacing dinner with beer, and almost every post in it says to get enough nutrition, focus on lean proteins and veggies throughout the day, and set aside some calories for beer. Including my own advice.

But, that doesn't support her point, so instead she ignores the majority of the answers.

Raises hand slowly. I replied in the thread and have no regrets :D
  • auddii

09ee08e.jpg

*and taking a cue from @senecarr disclaimer: Liz and I are friends and this should in no way be taken as an insult...
  • psuLemon
    edited March 2016

09ee08e.jpg

*and taking a cue from @senecarr disclaimer: Liz and I are friends and this should in no way be taken as an insult...

<--- slowly moves hand off the ban button ;)>:)

seriously, this is a joke.. and should be taken that way.
  • WinoGelato

09ee08e.jpg

<--- unsuccessfully attempts to flag mod for abuse. Curse you Vanilla Forums! CURSE YOU!!!!

(also a joke).
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

09ee08e.jpg

Reported!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

As a naturally abstemious person who doesn't care for alcohol, I could pretend that lets me understand this question. I mean why else would anyone want to replace dinner with beer? Oh, well, looking past myself, I do know a lot of people like beer, maybe they just want to have beer. Honestly, in this situation, I can only see a calorie is a calorie limiting the diet - without any belief in calories, and that they control weight, the person could just as easily feel free to put no limit on their alcohol intake, at least knowing the calories in the context of wanting to lose or maintain weight puts a cap on the idea.

I have to say, I'm feeling curmudgeonly today. Too much feeling people are taking natural mental shortcuts that come all to easily to humans and not realizing their shortcuts are taking them to the wrong place. And sadly understanding why the shortcuts seem reasonable without knowing how to get people to stop taking them.
  • queenliz99

Based on that article from a news magazine? Let me google and find another article to fit my agenda, I'm sure it is not too dificult. LOL
  • WinoGelato

Based on that article from a news magazine? Let me google and find another article to fit my agenda, I'm sure it is not too dificult. LOL

In that other thread, many people have pointed out the flaws in the design of the study, the people who were surveyed, and the limits with which they measured the results.

It seems the person who posted this is only focused on the headline, and not on actual critical thinking about if the study results actually are relevant and accurate.

The lack of critical thinking beyond a headline or beyond when people initially say "you can eat a diet of Twinkies and lose weight" seems to be a chronic problem lately.
  • queenliz99
    WinoGelato wrote: »

In that other thread, many people have pointed out the flaws in the design of the study, the people who were surveyed, and the limits with which they measured the results.

It seems the person who posted this is only focused on the headline, and not on actual critical thinking about if the study results actually are relevant and accurate.

The lack of critical thinking beyond a headline or beyond when people initially say "you can eat a diet of Twinkies and lose weight" seems to be a chronic problem lately.

Exactly, it's like taking a screwdriver to drive a nail.