Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    So this chiropractor I see on YouTube sometimes sends me emails once in a while also ... Eric Berg ... he is all big into weight loss topics and has written books on the subject. I think he might run a 'fat'clinic somewhere also, and he probably sells suppliments because there's never a 'program' he telecasts that doesn't talk about how important mico-nutrients are and he often holds up bottles of stuff he advices to take. .... So that's him ... and this is what he said in today's video cast about sugar ...

ANY sugar will stop fat loss for up to 72 hours. He specially singled out apples, and of course any sugar. He said, if it has any grams of sugar on the nutrition label, don't eat it when you are trying to lose fat.

And that got me to thinking ... when did I start losing control over the amount of carbs I've been eating, and when did my cravings for sweet start to grow so much over the last couple of weeks ... and guess what ... it was after I replenished my stash of ... yep, apples. It's my custom to eat one a day when I have them in the house, but it's also a custom to stay out of grocery stores until I'm really bare bones in the pantry and the fridge is empty enough to only have jarred condiments to remove for cleaning ... and I had been out of apples for at least 2 weeks before I bought more. ... hmmm, maybe there is something to that.

@KJEFFRIES2 ... my heart goes out to you at the death of your beloved Jim. Prayers of serenity for you.

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    <-- For the couple of you who have been here awhile, my profile pic is of me and an MFPer, Heidi, who goes by corymomma on the site. She used to post here a few years ago. We finally met for the first time at the Shamrock Beer Run last weekend.

Hi Everyone! Looks like the thread has been mighty slow the past few days.

@niki-- that's interesting about the sugar. I know for me, sugar and simple carbs really do trigger cravings and lead to more calories for me. I also tend to keep apples in the house. I like to eat one with peanut butter as an evening snack.

@laurie-- the weather here has turned colder again and the forecast for this weekend is supposed to be a wet mix of rain and sleet. Yuck. I'm hoping that turns around before you arrive next weekend. The 10-day forecast looks like temps in the 40s with a low chance of rain, but that could still change, so I'll keep you posted.

@robin-- those panera cinnamon rolls are to die for! Great job limiting it to only half.

@stiffler-- Welcome to the thread!

AFM-- I've been trudging through this longest week ever, but tomorrow is the last day of work before we are off for Spring Break-- woohoo! I've neglected any true form of exercise since my 5k on Saturday opting to grade instead. At least it's paying off and I've gotten through a lot of what I wanted to accomplish prior to break.

Tomorrow I will finish the last few journals, and then the focus will be on the AP essays. I need to finish those before grades are due on April 11th, but I would also like to complete all. or most, of the Lit Theory papers, so I added those to my list as well.

I haven't been logging much out of sheer laziness. However, I know I haven't been eating badly. I will get back with the program by logging today's food right now.

Grading Goals:
    1. 7/41 AP essays
    2. 38/41 Wuthering Hts journals
    3. x/41 AP Lit Theory papers

Fitness Goals for the month of March:
    I will run 3x/week and at least 1 5k/week
    Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 2 = 1/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 3 = 2/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish twice with no walking breaks: 1/2
    I will run an 8k three times: 1/3

Stretch legs after each run = 6/6

You vs Year Challenge:
    113k done/ 887k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE
    Wed-- rest day
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri-- walk gunner + gym
    Sat-- walk gunner
    Sun-- walk gunner + gym
    Mon-- walk gunner
  • Nikion901
    Friends ... if my experience the past 3 days says anything, it says to drink a lot, a whole lot, of liquid ... to the tune of 1/2 ounce for every pound of weight ... to drive out the water retention I've been suffering with so much the past few weeks. That means, if you weight 200 pounds, you need 100 ounces of water a day. That is 12 1/2 eight-ounce cups.

Now mind you, I don't know for certain that is what is helping the awful swelling in my feet and legs ... but I also know that I do not gain 2 to 7 pounds overnight, and I don't lose 2 pounds a night either! When the weight fluctuation is that great, it's water weight. And the more my legs swelled, the less water I found myself drinking ... down to maybe 6 cups from my usual 9-10. Well, in the challenge I'm a part of that's going on right now, one of the point-giving challenges was to drink that much water a day ... for me, at my swollen weight that came to 16 cups of water. I couldn't do it on Monday, but did drink my 10 cups that day, and my weight dropped 1 pound over night, the next day I was able to get in all the water and my weight dropped another 2.2 pounds. Yesterday I was able to again drink all that water and this mornings weight was another 2 pounds lower. ... Now, I know that it's the water because my calories have been at or above maintenance level on each of those days.

So ,,, I will drink another 15 glasses of today and see where I stand tomorrow ... and today I will be very happy to finally be able to fit shoes on my feet again. Being house bound cause I have to go barefoot sucks! ... Oh yes, I did run to the porcelain convenience about once every half hour to one hour ... but it dropped off as the day wore on.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    edited March 2016
    Katrina- Sorry to hear about your husband. You were lucky to have found that true love, please remember all the good memories.

Karen- Let's hope the weather forecast for Chicago change to at least the 50's for next weekend. The good news is I have running gear for cold weather as well so I will bring both. Enjoy your Spring break and congrats on getting the grading done.

Niki- Water is great for the body and water weight will cause huge gains and loses in a matter of 24 hours. Keep drinking the water. Fruits, do have sugars but they are good sugars and carbs for our body, don't discount them.

This has been a good week for exercise since I am on Spring Break. I hope the rain stays away or comes overnight so I can ride my bike this weekend.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Easter weekend.

Goals for the week
    Sunday- gym easy workout- Done
    Monday- I might swim but mostly walking around DC-walked around DC
    Tuesday- Trainer workout DONE
    Wednesday- bike ride DONE
    Thursday- gym or bike outdoors or run- SWIM DONE
    Friday- climbing and run
    Saturday- bike
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    So sorry to hear about your husband Katrena. That's so difficult. If you are the kind who appreciates prayers, I will be praying for you.
  • mcharle14
    mcharle14 Posts: 1 Member
    New to this community. I need lots of motivation I can't seem to find it on my own. Please help.
  • Nikion901
    One of the posters on a group I belong to "Get our of the 200s" made it with this morning weigh-in ... so happy for them to finally be at 199 .... Will I, too, see that number in 2016?
  • Nikion901
    edited March 2016
    Lauriek70 wrote: »

Niki- Water is great for the body and water weight will cause huge gains and loses in a matter of 24 hours. Keep drinking the water. Fruits, do have sugars but they are good sugars and carbs for our body, don't discount them.

Oh, I don't. I try to get just 2 servings of fruit in a day, however, usually berries for one and an apple for the other. Sometimes it's other fruit though. I was just noticing that when I handn't had any apples for a period of a couple of weeks, and then did again, it now seems like the sugar in them set off the carb loading that happened next ... but it probably was a combination of foods that I bought and hadn't had since they had run out earlier ... like bread. And, since I had stocked up on all the various carbs I like to enjoy during a few weeks time, I always buy some dried fruit to have on hand and keep bananas and berries in the freezer ... so all of a sudden I got carb cravings and they were available in plenty ... and i was lost control.

So I guess the lesson I learned is that I don't have cravings that I cannot control when the foods that can set off cravings are always available and I can have a little every day ... but that when I abstain from them for a period of time, and then have them, I go nuts!~ :3
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Hi all! Had my check in at the doc's office this morning and was totally prepared for a gain as this two week stretch contained St Paddy's day and four days at a convention where food choices were limited, sponsors were buying the drinks and there was a day at Disney World on the schedule. Add in the bum knee that has kept me from pushing the speed and endurance on the treadmill and things looked bleak. So I was surprised to see that I had lost a whopping 1.1 pounds. I REALLY want to get below 230 and hoped I would be there by this time, but I'll take 231 for now. At least it wasn't a gain.

I had a great time at Disney World with my daughter, son in law, and the grands. They have season passes and go several times each year - my granddaughter couldn't begin to grasp the idea that the last time I went to the Magic Kingdom was 43 years ago when I was ten and that was the only park that existed. Totally bummed that I still haven't gotten to ride Space Mountain. The only daredevil in the crew isn't tall enough for it yet. He will be my partner in crime in the years to come! (No, he doesn't have any terrible tongue disease, instead of _saying_ cheese, he wanted to _show me_ his cheese. That's what happens when you are four.)

tqpx7j0mog5p.jpg

• LC_libra
    LC_libra Posts: 12 Member
    mcharle14 wrote: »
    New to this community. I need lots of motivation I can't seem to find it on my own. Please help.

Hey Mcharle,

I have felt that way before too. The last time I started to struggle I was bored with my eating patterns. I made cauliflower fried rice and lettuce wrap fajitas and that really helped. If your feeling depressed try walking. I like family walks but my Fitbit is motivating too and it gives me more calories to work with in myfitnesspal. I also save up calories for my breve cappuccino treat, or something chocolate or what ever your favorite food is. You can do it!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    edited March 2016
    @niki- I also need to drink more water. Thank you for all of your reflections; they are such great reminders!

@laurie- Weather report is still calling for 40s and low 50s for you visit. Right now it says race day will be a high of 38. I know that sounds terribly cold, but that was the temp when I ran the 5k last weekend and it wasn't too bad. At least the forecast looks like it will be dry--fingers crossed that that holds true. Message me about any activities you want to do while here. I may be able to get discounted tickets for museums and such. My sister works for the Art Institute and another friend has a discount card through her employer that's good at most museums. I'm sure she'll let us use it; I would just have to get it from her ahead of time.

@celtik- glad you had fun at Disney. I also haven't been there in decades-- I think I was 10 or 11, so about 35 years. I had zero desire to return until my niece was born. Now I can't wait until she's old enough to take her.

@mcharle- welcome to the thread! As libra said, we have all felt this way and still do at times. This group has been such a wonderful motivator for me. I've said over and over that I would've quit and gained back every pound if not for my friends here. Come back and post often so we can get to know you.

Saturday Success:
    My first success is that I've managed to get a bit of grading done these first 2 days of break. Usually I take a couple of days to just veg out and relax, but since laurie is coming to visit Friday, it has motivated me to get it done at the outset. I have 25 essays left, and though I probably won't get much done tomorrow (Easter dinner with family), I plan to finish most of them on Monday when all I have scheduled is a blood donation.

Tuesday and Wednesday I have plans with friends. Thursday is my backup plan-- if I don't finish them on Monday, I will get them done prior to packing for my weekend in the city with laurie.

Can you guys tell I'm excited about laurie's visit? I've only mentioned it a zillion times in my post. LOL

Grading Goals:
    1. 16/41 AP essays
    2. 11/11 AP analysis activities DONE
    3. x/41 AP Lit Theory papers

Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 2 = 1/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 3 = 2/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 4 = 1/3 runs, 1/2 5k

Stretch legs after each run = 7/7

You vs Year Challenge:
    118k done/ 882k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE
    Wed-- rest day
    Thurs-- walk gunner NOT DONE
    Fri-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Sat-- walk gunner DONE
    Sun-- walk gunner + gym
    Mon-- walk gunner
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited March 2016
    Hi Everyone.

Sorry, I haven't been around. Work is just so busy right now that I don't have much time during the day. Then my evenings have been really busy too studying and prepping for my software certification exam that is just around the corner (54 days :astonished:). Things will calm down in a couple of months. Its been really nice here, so got out after work yesterday for an hour-long bike ride--they've opened up some new trails in the park near my house, so loved riding on them yesterday. I'm still in physical therapy for my Achilles twice a week, no time line when I'll be released--just taking it a day at a time, but making progress.

@Karen ~I know you're excited for Laurie's visit, hope you two have a fab time!

@Niki ~I've always thought of apples as one of the healthier fruits, but I always pair fruit with some kind of protein--its easily metabolized that way. Also, I only ever eat 2-3 servings of fruit a day and eat very little other carbs. It works for me, but everyone has to find what works for them.

Have a great evening and Happy Easter to those who celebrate!
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Karen, it was also in the low 40's when I ran a 5k last weekend and it went well. I will be looking at activities this week. Hope you get the grading done but then again I may bring some with me depending on how my week goes. Is there anything you want from MD that I can bring with me, Have a great Easter and I am looking forward to the trip.

Kelley glad you can get out on your bike. It was a little cold today to ride outside but I did hit the spin bike today. Not the same thing but a good workout.

Toots- how are you? Great to see you checking in and how are the kids?

Sping break has been good for exercise and I have been active. Goal for this week is to taper down so I am ready to run next Sunday.
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Lauriek70 wrote: »
    Toots- how are you? Great to see you checking in and how are the kids?

All good. I just suck at being present on the internet. Lol social media and I aren't the best of friends ;)
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    @laurie-- I don't think I need anything from MD but thanks for the offer. I will definitely bring some of the lit theory papers, but I don't have to have those finished for the 3rd quarter grades.

@kelley-- glad you are enjoying the weather and the cycling.

@toots- Hi!!

AFM-- Well, we are having some plumbing woes at our lovely home. :( A few years ago our primary drain pipe sprung a leak, and we had a handyman come replace the majority of the old metal pipe with PVC. Now the portion we didn't replace became clogged and has also started leaking. My DH spent most of today down in the crawl space, but he's struggling to get the old piece of pipe free to replace it. Not sure if he's ready to throw in the towel and call a plumber. At least our toilet works and we have running water; we just can't pour anything down the drains of the tub or bath and kitchen sinks. The saving grace is that the slop sink in the laundry room is on a different drain, so we can at least use that to wash our hands and brush our teeth. However, I had to go to the gym this morning so I could shower before going to Easter dinner at my sister's. Silver lining = I ran a couple miles on the treadmill there before showering.

Grading Goals:
    1. 16/41 AP essays
    2. x/41 AP Lit Theory papers

Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 2 = 1/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 3 = 2/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 4 = 2/3 runs, 1/2 5k

Stretch legs after each run = 8/8

You vs Year Challenge:
    121k done/ 879k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE
    Wed-- rest day
    Thurs-- walk gunner NOT DONE
    Fri-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Sat-- walk gunner DONE
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    I made it all the way through yesterday without jelly beans or cadbury eggs or coconut pound cake shaped like a lamb and I didn't die. I've never had a candy free Easter in my life and I wasn't sure it was possible. Turns out that it is, and it was still the celebration of hope and family that it has been every year.

Now, back to work - gym tonight, packing lunches this week, planning better dinners and getting back to the plan!
  • LC_libra
    LC_libra Posts: 12 Member
    @RobinsEgg thank you for the woot on my weight loss! Encouragement is so nice. The birthday party that I threw for my friend turned out great. She cried happy tears when she opened my gift. I had painted a wedding photo of her and her husband. The cake I made was also good, yep, I ate a small slice! I'll try and post a photo. I hope the EMG results you got back help them treat the problem. ix0150m4vmip.jpeg

@SHALLON1979 congrat's on your loss! Your workout logs are inspiring!

@celtikgirl great job resisting the Easter treats! I know they're tempting!

@skinnyjeanzbound I hope the plumbing is up and running soon! What a headache!

I wish you all a Happy Easter! My Easter was really nice despite a stomach bug. I think the worst of it was yesterday. Today peppermint tea and ginger ale seem to be helping. I had a larger loss but that's probably mostly water and food not staying in me.
  • Nikion901
    Monday check-in ... my day is all upside down cause I've had a couple of insomnia nights that have my rythms all messed up. I'll blame it on being an age related thing cause there isn't anything else i can think of to pin the blame on. This morning I crawled into bed at 6:30 AM and wasn't exactly certain if it was Sunday, Saturday, Monday?

i had a quiet Sunday at my home. Sis and her DH are in the sunny south for the winter. Son and his family are several states away. None of the nieces or nephews that are in this area are at the hosting stage of life yet. But I did enjoy lovely weather and got outside for a while. Then the wind started to blow and we are having another blast of wintry weather now. Still, once this one blows past I think we will be in for steady warming days.

My weight is bad ... still fighting edema; one day it's better and then there's a step backwards ... i;m doing the cha-cha with my lymphatic system! :)

Result is, I don't even want to thing about what the scale is saying because it lies every day recently.
    Challenges wise ... i think we were doing something vegetable based and ankle strengthing ... I kind of dropped out of that, but do have my vegetables every day.

Ohh ... i just read back what i wrote and I sound so bored and boring! ... More when I'm a more chipper person!
  • Gene81972
    Gene81972 Posts: 30 Member
    Hello. First check in. I've been dieting now for 3 weeks today. Started at 279 and down to 265 as of this morning. Altogether my long term goal is to lose 104 pounds and down to 175.

I'm 43 and pretty much in the worst shape of my life. I've been active in sports most of my life and also spent 8 years in the Army so I know what it takes to get into shape it's simply a matter of putting it into practice.

I've lost substantial amounts of weight in the past to slowly let it come back on. Most recently 3 years ago getting down to about 210 from the same start point. 35 pounds away from my goal.

Anyway looking forward to interacting with folks and keeping each other motivated.
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Monday check-in:
    I've reached a 50 day streak, every day under calorie limit. Today was close, though because my partner cooked dinner from the wrong recipe and didn't weigh anything!

Saturday, it was so nice here, I worked like a hoss getting my raised beds and turned and prepped for the growing season, mowed, weed-whacked, fertilized, and repotted all my container plants. Maybe this year, I'll have my own figs! My Misfit claims I walked 3.9 miles...and I never left my own 4000 Sq ft yard.