Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    That most of the time I think I'm thinner than I am. I'm always grabbing what ends up being 10's at a thrift store. Even when I was sz 20/22+. At some point I wonder if I get into 6's if I'll still go for 10's. I'm into 14's, so I'm getting close!

Me too!!!!!!!

You're always going to be in bigger sizes at thrift stores. I am easily in a size 8-10 in thrift store jeans (I weigh 125) but yesterday a size 6 was too big from JCPenney. Women's sizes have gotten pretty ridiculous with the vanity sizing. When I was in high school I weighed 115-117 and I wore a size 7/8. Someone tell me why the sizes have changed so drastically? Easy- people don't want to buy the larger numbers so the manufacturers have changed the sizing. But if you sew a garment get ready to be surprised- the sewing patterns are based on actual inches and haven't changed at all. Our sewing teacher has girls so upset every year because she will measure them and they have to buy a pattern size 14/16 when they wear size 3/4- she then shows them a skirt she wore in high school which looks very small- it is a size 9. So don't be discouraged by thrift stores- sizes mean nothing. Just go by your weight and measurements.
  • brigg9
    brigg9 Posts: 104 Member
    That I still don't know who I am in my own skin. I have defined muscles and curves that I never pictured as "me" before. Now that I am 1/2 way to my goal and maintaining large amounts of lean mass, 2-3 times stronger than I ever was before, I don't recognize myself any more. It makes it hard to stop looking in the mirror, just to get used to the idea that it's me staring back.

I feel small... yet I have defined muscles and increased strength...but I feel small... it's so confusing!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    I look at pictures of me and still think I look kind of chubby. Have to accept body type. I know I like wearing smaller clothes but never the lanky type, I am too short but grateful
  • KpopGrad92
    KpopGrad92 Posts: 93 Member
    That once you lose a good chunk people will think you are done. No I am just under obese into overweight I have my goals and I know where I want to go. I get called skinny now which for me is A) really weird and B) Not my definition of skinny. I am 5'11 and right now bouncing in the low 210's, wear M/L and anywhere from 10-14. I am small frames (seriously you should see how tiny my wrists are). I still have a long way to go. People are already asking when am I going to stop. My goal is low 140s maybe high 130s depending on how I look, it could also be 150. I know what I want my body to look like and that is what I am going for. I just tell people when I am done is when I will stop because everybody has their opinion on what my goal should be and I don't really want to hear it for the most part.

Also how mad you get when people complain that they aren't losing weight or getting toned enough. They ask you for advice and then when you give it they go well I do this. Yeah but you just said it isn't working and I think 35 lbs in just over 3 months can show that I have good system going. My friend has been going since October, she isn't really losing and not really toning too much. She only eats one meal a day, but usually it is high calorie and very processed and she will not drink water. Also she is one that is like I don't want to lift too much weight to get bulky. I just be quiet now, it is too frustrating to talk about it.
  • bsnmomtomany
    bsnmomtomany Posts: 24 Member
    kgb6days wrote: »
    How cold you get without a thick pad of insulation

True story! I'm cold all the time!

• Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2016
    Tammy518 wrote: »
    Sherbog wrote: »
    There will be friends and family who try sabotage your hard work and weight loss. For an example...I am an ice cream addict. People say well just have an ice cream bar....would you tell an alcoholic to just have a shot or little bit? NO...people just don't get it. I lived most of my life thinking a 1/2 gallon was an individual serving.

Amen to this. Amazes me how many have tried, not succeeded :wink: , at sabotaging my entire lifestyle change. At a birthday party I brought along some cauliflower, broccoli and carrots in a bowl to snack on cause I knew everyone was eating some highly fattening not to mention greasy burgers, red hotdogs :neutral: and cake, not to mention nothing but sodas to drink (thank God I was smart enough to bring my water. Never leave home without it) that I exclaimed "does NOT fit into mfp or my life anymore" and was told by some of my best friends that I was doing myself a bigger injustice by inducing all the carbs & natural sugar in the veggies esp since I wasn't even using any buttermilk ranch to offset it with some dairy
    @ WHAAAATTTTT!
    Well I figured I've lost 32 lbs since January 4th whereas none of them have even tried, am sooooooo much happier & full of energy so I think I'm pretty good with the choices I've made and will continue to make. So much for encouraging friends.

LOLOL! Oh wowwwwwww.
  • TennesseeJen
    TennesseeJen Posts: 22 Member
    The haters.
  • NicoleLynn0112
    NicoleLynn0112 Posts: 26 Member
    One of my biggest things was learning how to nest my knees for sleeping at night.

Something else that I struggle with is using up the excess energy without irritating others.

Bonus to my friends, since I'm a lightweight I offer to be DD.

So true about the knee thing!!! I'm actually uncomfortable laying with one leg on top of the other because my knee bones dig into each other!
  • yangt41
    yangt41 Posts: 33 Member
    How uncomfortable it starts to get when the only thing people say to you is regarding your weight loss. I loved the compliments at first but now it's the only thing we talk about. And I'm starting to run out of replies! Suggestions?
  • yangt41
    yangt41 Posts: 33 Member
    About 40 lbs lost but I still dread going to the gym... Still waiting for when I start to 'love' exercising!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!