March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    03/02 4.5 miles Legs took a while to warm up seriously thought of turning back home at mile 1 but persevered with it and turned into a really good run.
    03/04 4.6 miles Kept it comfortable rather than the build up that was suggested legs wanted a slight break
    03/06 8.7 miles Bit hillier than I normally do so was rather happy to find that I could run up the hill on the route.
    03/08 4.5 miles
    03/13 11 miles Longest run so far!
    03/17 4.5 miles Rather comfortable run to set me up before my first race on Sunday, probably my last run until then as I don't want to exacerbate the blister on the arch of my foot.
    03/20 6.3 miles First ever race.
    03/23 4.6 miles
    03/27 6.6 miles Lovely run down by the canal where my parents are moving to slightly faster than planned but felt good for it.
    03/29 5 miles Went off way too fast and really suffered towards the end because of it but I was determined to the the mileage in to reach my monthly total with a run in hand first time since I've joined this group in December!

exercise.png

03/20 Canterbury Riverside 10k 1:16:12
    05/29 Edinburgh Half marathon
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    :D

exercise.png
  • sthoma13
    sthoma13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

exercise.png

I don't think it will be possible to get to the 90 this month but it's been a valiant effort- still plan to knock off a few miles between today and tomorrow!
  • lillymacki55
    lillymacki55 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    03/01 3.23
    03/02 3.19
    03/03 3.17
    03/04 3.27
    03/05 6.83
    03/06 8.15
    03/07 3.17
    03/08 3.43
    03/09 3.59
    03/10 6.25
    03/11 2.70
    03/12 0.00 (16 mile bike ride)
    03/13 7.01
    03/14 3.09
    03/15 3.28
    03/17 3.34
    03/18 5.21
    03/19 4.90
    03/20 7.01
    03/21 2.79
    03/22 3.11
    03/23 3.29
    03/24 3.30
    03/25 3.07
    03/26 8.01 CHALLENGE ACHIEVED!!!!!
    03/27 9.01
    03/28 2.42
    03/29 3.27
    03/30 3.45

TOTAL 117.71
    GOAL 100

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Today was the first mid-week long run of this base building phase, an 8 miler. Due to some wind I took an 8 mile east/west route through a local park that is a good size. It is 8 miles from my house to the dam and back, but is a lot of rolling hills.

I had to get up really early and leave by 4am. And I forgot my hat. But worst of all, as I approached the park I realized I forgot my flashlight!:scream: Being a large park with no lights I wondered if I would be able to see the path. As @_nikkiwolf_ mentioned, the glow in the sky from suburban life allowed me to see just fine.

And no vampires.

Or spider webs.

So it was a great run!

3/1 - 5 miles
    3/2 - 5 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - Rest
    3/5 - 12 miles
    3/6 - 5 miles
    3/7 - 5 miles
    3/8 - 5 miles
    3/9 - 5 miles
    3/10 - 5 miles
    3/11 - Rest
    3/12 - 12 miles
    3/13 - 5 miles
    3/14 - 5 miles
    3/15 - 5 miles
    3/16 - 5 miles
    3/17 - 5 miles
    3/18 - Rest
    3/19 - 12 miles
    3/20 - 5 miles
    3/21 - 4 miles
    3/22 - 4 miles
    3/23 - 4 miles
    3/24 - 4 miles
    3/25 - Rest
    3/26 - 8 miles
    3/27 - 4 miles
    3/28 - 5 miles
    3/29 - 5 miles
    3/30 - 8 miles

152/150 Miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    07KatieP13 wrote: »
    5.1 miles today, it was the hardest run ever. I didn't eat enough yesterday, just found out that along with my anaemia I also have cealiacs disease. Nearly all the food in my house has gluten in it so it was a bit of a struggle to eat. Off shopping now to fill my cupboards with overpriced and tasteless gluten free yuck, can't wait lol.

I'm gluten sensitive. I would pass on all the gluten free processed foods. I only get the pasta. Luckily I can still do a sprouted bread and good sourdough. No wheat beer :( You'll feel so much better off of it. Good luck!
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Orphia I think you would enjoy the official events. There's so much excitement, your mind is processing everything you forget how hard running can be. And it's so great seeing so many people out of all ages and shapes. It helps me break that stereotype of what runners look like. It helps me see the runner in me.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1-nothing yet
    2-yoga
    3-sicker yet. sick sick sick
    4-still sick
    so since i had no running to blog about i made a blog with some running memes.
    Happy Friday
    5-nothing
    6-nothing
    7-3.77, it felt nice. lots of people out so dog couldn't come with. i have to keep working on socialization
    8-nothing yet
    9-yoga
    10-new medicine-nauseous
    11-yoga
    12-Great Pi Race 5k. great time with some horrible hills. I would have had an amazing time without them and as it was i still beat my last 5k by 2:37min. Stepdaughter to be got second in her age group. i was 20 out of 36.
    13-rest day
    14-4.87mi happy bunny
    15-no run (yet) knee and kidneys are sore.
    16-no run-kidney's still hurt
    17-carpool-no run. grumble.
    18-carpool and slush fell from the sky this morning. so I vinyasa/power aerial yoga-ed
    19-car shopping
    20-family stuff
    21-6.13mi not easy not too hard. well the first 15 min were awful but then it settled in.
    22-wedding stuff to do, hip hurts-yoga tonight
    23-more yoga
    24-4.78 mi
    25-cleaning day
    26-13.12 mi
    27-flaring/easter food
    28-flaring
    29-flare and cold. i miss my mileage
    30-yoga tonight-still flaring. I hope to run tomorrow. a rather suck it up buttercup sorta thing

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 12-Great Pi Run 5k 32:17
    May 7-Door County Half Marathon
    ?Jun 11-Rock n Sole 5 or 8k? honeymoon might interfere
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

And finally, it it just me who is wondering if @Stoshew71 and @skippygirlsmom are married?

@orphia ha ha @stoshew71 is married to a wonderful lady name who I'm happy to call my friend. We all meet here on MFP and realized we lived only miles from each other. We see each other races, hockey games and around town.

@ddmom0811 my brain knows that being afraid of a little spider is nuts so I really didn't want her to be that way. There are very few creepy crawly things she's afraid of. Unlike me if she sees a spider in her room and can't get she'll sleep in that room, oh no not me I'll sleep on the couch until I think the coast is clear.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - I think 5k's are great race distances. They are super challenging but just short enough to not leave you too beat up. Go for it! Looking forward to hearing about your first AG win!

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Still haven't had a chance to catch up on the last week of posts. Sorry for not being too supportive. Life is crazy at the moment.

3/3 - 3.25 miles on indoor track
    3/5 - 4 windy miles.
    3/6 - 6.5 flat, windy, hot (72°) miles...sweaty.
    3/9 - 3.46 miles
    3/10 - 4.45 miles on treadmill (Trek class)
    3/11 - 4 miles on indoor track + weights
    3/12 - 7.5 hilly miles
    3/13 - 4 miles on indoor track + weights
    3/14 - Rest day...seriously sore from squats and dead lifts on Sunday
    3/15 - 4 miles on treadmill + weights (early a.m. thunderstorm kept me inside)
    3/16 - 4.02 windy miles...took a good 2 miles to get into a groove.
    3/17 - 5 miles on treadmill (Trek class)
    3/18 - 4.13 miles. Sooo excited that I am on track for my goal this month!
    3/19 - Unplanned rest day...life got in the way.
    3/20 - 8 wind, flat miles
    3/21 - Planned rest day
    3/22 - Beautiful 4.7 miles. It was about 50° F with a very light breeze at 5:00 a.m.!
    3/23 - Wet 4.3 miles...almost biffed it when I slipped on a downhill. Thankfully saved myself without tweaking anything...thank God for small favors!
    3/24 - 5 miles on treadmill (Trek class)...lots of "speedwork" today. Sore calves.
    3/25 - 4 miles. Nice afternoon run.
    3/26 - Rest day
    3/27 - 9.01 miles...took a while to get warmed up and then was extremely sore in the hamstrings and calves.
    3/28 - Rest day...woke up with a lot of soreness.
    3/29 - 4.33 miles
    3/30 - 3.5 miles on treadmill + weights.

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Looks like I missed a lot of conversation overnight. Rest day today and I'm fine with that. Drizzling rain today andI had to walk from the car dealership to work in it, so not feeling bad about not running in it. Speaking of goals and weekly mileage and such, I'm thinking, after I settle into my current routine of 4 miles 3 days a week, I'm going to make my Thursday run a long run, before adding another run day.....probably won't start that until May though, give myself time to get used to running 17-19 miles a week first.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @Elise4270 - I think 5k's are great race distances. They are super challenging but just short enough to not leave you too beat up. Go for it! Looking forward to hearing about your first AG win!

Thanks! I get super competitive with myself. A goal like this might be that extra push I need to get my diet in line.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    I'm not training for a race, have never ran a race, and don't intend to ever run a race. So it's a little hard for me to figure out what I'm doing and why. I honestly just started running because it was the next thing after walking so much to lose weight and doing other indoor aerobics. I still just run as part of a well-rounded active lifestyle. I had originally thought that I'd probably max out at 6 miles/1 hour long runs this spring but since I've slowed down and quit killing myself with running so fast, I can now kinda think of 5 miles as not a big deal, which leaves me wondering how far to take the long run? Do I even NEED a long run if I'm not training for anything? I kinda think I want to run 10 miles but not for any reason. I just like being challenged. Just rambling here.....

When I was a newbie runner, I ran myself into injury with a long run of less than 10 miles and total weekly volume of less than 25 miles. I increased mileage too quickly, and I ran everything at what I now perceive to be my lactate threshold. That's a very natural pace to run, and I might have got away with it if I never ran more than 5 miles at a time or more than 4 days a week. But Mr. Testosterone was always urging me to do more, go faster. The people who program running apps listen to Mr. Testosterone, and set all the goals for faster, harder, and longer.

My number one goal is to avoid injury and keep running at least 3 days a week.

This and this.

I did exactly what @MobyCarp describes other than the "Mr. Testosterone" thing...my urging was always just from my drive to always outdo myself. :smile:

I wasn't really following a training plan when I first started running. I looked up a bunch of them, used them as a guide, figured I could figure it out myself, and I just started running. I don't even know what I was doing, but I was running about 5-6 days per week, with my "long runs" at about 8 miles when I managed to injure myself and had to skip my first half marathon.

Last year, I managed to injure myself, again, which I don't believe had to do with improper training. I honestly have no idea what I did last Spring to injure myself, but we'll see if recreate the injury in two weeks, as my running schedule will be exactly what it was over the week I injured my hip last year 15K on Saturday, followed by a 3-mile run mid-week, followed by an incredibly hilly 5K the following Saturday. My hip felt a little tight after the 15K, but it went away by the next day. I felt fine during my 3-mile mid-week run, and I felt fine during the 5K. I sat down on a wall after walking around at the finish and standing in lines for both beer and ice cream for a good half hour total, and when I stood up, I couldn't walk without massively severe pain in my left hip. I seriously limped around for the rest of the evening (and a few weeks after) before I went to get myself checked out. I figured I just needed a rest, but when the pain was the same after a few weeks, I

Based on my injuries, I have learned that I cannot run two days in a row...at least not right now. My PT suggested I run every other day at the most to allow myself and my injury-prone hips to rest. I have followed his advice for the past five months or so, and I ran my first half marathon (the third I trained for) in February. I went into it with absolutely no expectations, and if I would have stopped some 16 times for photos of things and myself along the course (it was a Disney run), I would have far exceeded any time goal I had in mind for my first half.

@greenolivetree: When I started running about six years ago, I had no intention on being competitive. In fact, I still have no intention on being competitive. I ran because I was getting fat. I never ate a ton to begin with, which was confirmed when I started logging my food with the LoseIt app a year or two before I started running. Besides, I liked food too much to cut back, and kickboxing twice per week wasn't cutting it as far as my overall health was concerned. Running just seemed like a natural thing for me to do to be more active, so I started running. Then I got this crazy idea to sign up for a half marathon, simply as a way to keep myself motivated because I quickly started to get bored. The half wasn't for a good 10 months after I started running, so I knew it was definitely an attainable goal (which wasn't attainable due to injury). Then I signed up for a 10K that summer, and then a 5K for that Spring before. The rest is history. I still do races, but races for me are motivation to keep myself active and running during the week. I don't want to go and completely embarrass myself, and I don't want to go (or not go) and feel like I wasted an entry fee. Races are also my way of staying competitive with myself - I have official times and distances I can compare to see how I'm progressing.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Thanks! I get super competitive with myself. A goal like this might be that extra push I need to get my diet in line.
    That sounds like a great idea. Competition with one's self is a great motivator. Go for that AG win, I'll be looking forward to that race report!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I was hem hawing on running the OKC memorial run the 24 the of April. My husband text me this morning saying his company is paying for 31 slots if I was interested. Pretty sweet if I can run it free!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I was hem hawing on running the OKC memorial run the 24 the of April. My husband text me this morning saying his company is paying for 31 slots if I was interested. Pretty sweet if I can run it free!

Definitely go for it. Free race is a good race.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning The knitting comment made me laugh.

I really just run because I love being active. I still enjoy a walk. Strength train 3 times a week. And add in other odd workouts here and there. I love accomplishing new distance or new speed in running just like I love finding out I can lift a heavier weight strength training. People say I'm addicted to exercise and okay, yeah, so I am. So I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing :-D

I totally get this. I have friends who will ask me why I've started running now. They don't understand how yoga, lifting, teaching classes, and general gym stuff isn't enough. I always say I can't give up the high of a new accomplishment; whether that is a new pose in yoga, lifting a heavier weight, or helping a student to reach a new level. It also could be a little bit of an addiction.... :smiley:

Or a bit of a calling!

Hahaha or maybe that. My husband is always confused by my new desire. I spent over a year of my life and more money than I want to think about getting my yoga teacher certification, then the start of this year I decided I wanted to get my personal training certification. He just kept asking why as I looked for an affordable program to go through, hoping to have it done around July. I'm a social worker for people with developmental disabilities in my non fitness life so it's not like I have a bunch of extra time to pursue my fitness life, but I like it so I make time :blush:

I say it is absolutely possible to mix your two passions together, if you ever wanted to try such a thing. Check out Eruption Athletics! The two guys who started this company, Chris and Joe, are friends of mine...well, they are good friends with my boyfriend since high school (they all rowed together, though Joe and Chris were a year behind Dave), and since Dave and I will be together five years on Saturday, they have been assimilated as my friends, whether they like it or not. :smile:

That being said, they live in Pittsburgh, and I live in middle-of-nowhere Northeast PA, so I don't get to see them very frequently (a handful of times per year), but I do help them with Special Olympics when they come east for events, an I have been out to Pittsburgh and assisted with some of their classes. I can definitely tell you what they are doing is nothing short of amazing.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Damn this thread is moving fast. Month almost over

Did some cruise repetitions today (3x1000 with full recovery between them) just so I get some speed work done this week. I'm seriously upset that strava doesn't look at my laps for PR's cause I did a new 1k pr but strava only looks at splits so it doesn't count my km PR. Strava seriously why you do this. I need acknowledgement, Garmin connect got it but no one looks at it there

.....Date.....Distance...Pace (min/km).........................Random thought of the day
    March 01 - rest
    March 02 - 5 km............(4:42).........Stop bouncing like Bambi you idiot you gonna kill your knees
    March 03 - 7 km............(6:00)............................Bend at the ankles not the waist.
    March 04 - 3.5 km.........(7.46)....................A metronome app helps with your cadence
    March 05 - rest
    March 06 - 15 km..........(6:00)............Need to taper long run next week but don't want to
    March 07 - 5 km............(7:08).........................,.............Treadmills suck
    March 08 - rest(4k walk)
    March 09 - 3 km............(6:00).................................Treadmills really suck
    March 10 - dead
    March 11 - dead
    March 12 - dead
    March 13 - dead
    March 14 - 4 km.............(4:20).......................Turns out I'm quite good at biomechanics
    March 15 - rest
    March 16 - 4.4 km..........(6:50).................I can't do this any slower watch leave me alone
    March 17 - 3.4 km..........(5:50)......................Tap Tap Tap Tap Tap Tap Tap Tap Tap
    March 18 - 3.4 km..........(5:00)........................................Gotta go fast
    March 19 - rest (xt)
    March 20 - 6.5 km..........(5:40)........................................Praise the sun
    March 21 - 5.3 km+ONE (1) hour of stationary bike..............Music
    March 22 - 5.6 km
    March 23 - 3.6 km....................................................I ate 5 bananas today
    March 24 - 6 km............(7:00)......................................Now that's easy
    March 25 - 2 km............(6:30)..................................Gotta rest a little too
    March 26 - rest
    March 27 - 10+4 km......(5:53).................It takes me around 4 km of jogging to warm properly
    March 28 - 4.5 km..........(7:30)..................Shorts that ride up are the bane of my existence
    March 29 - rest (xt elliptical)
    March 30 - 4.6 km..........(4:30).......................That feel when fast day and you go fast :love:

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run (registered)
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest (registered)
    15/05: Bucharest Half Marathon
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I need acknowledgement, Garmin connect got it but no one looks at it there
    LOL, add me on Garmin, and I will shower praise upon you!