What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I look at pictures of me and still think I look kind of chubby. Have to accept body type. I know I like wearing smaller clothes but never the lanky type, I am too short but grateful
  • KpopGrad92
    KpopGrad92 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    That once you lose a good chunk people will think you are done. No I am just under obese into overweight I have my goals and I know where I want to go. I get called skinny now which for me is A) really weird and B) Not my definition of skinny. I am 5'11 and right now bouncing in the low 210's, wear M/L and anywhere from 10-14. I am small frames (seriously you should see how tiny my wrists are). I still have a long way to go. People are already asking when am I going to stop. My goal is low 140s maybe high 130s depending on how I look, it could also be 150. I know what I want my body to look like and that is what I am going for. I just tell people when I am done is when I will stop because everybody has their opinion on what my goal should be and I don't really want to hear it for the most part.

Also how mad you get when people complain that they aren't losing weight or getting toned enough. They ask you for advice and then when you give it they go well I do this. Yeah but you just said it isn't working and I think 35 lbs in just over 3 months can show that I have good system going. My friend has been going since October, she isn't really losing and not really toning too much. She only eats one meal a day, but usually it is high calorie and very processed and she will not drink water. Also she is one that is like I don't want to lift too much weight to get bulky. I just be quiet now, it is too frustrating to talk about it.
  • bsnmomtomany
    bsnmomtomany Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    kgb6days wrote: »
    How cold you get without a thick pad of insulation

True story! I'm cold all the time!

• Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Tammy518 wrote: »
    Sherbog wrote: »
    There will be friends and family who try sabotage your hard work and weight loss. For an example...I am an ice cream addict. People say well just have an ice cream bar....would you tell an alcoholic to just have a shot or little bit? NO...people just don't get it. I lived most of my life thinking a 1/2 gallon was an individual serving.

Amen to this. Amazes me how many have tried, not succeeded :wink: , at sabotaging my entire lifestyle change. At a birthday party I brought along some cauliflower, broccoli and carrots in a bowl to snack on cause I knew everyone was eating some highly fattening not to mention greasy burgers, red hotdogs :neutral: and cake, not to mention nothing but sodas to drink (thank God I was smart enough to bring my water. Never leave home without it) that I exclaimed "does NOT fit into mfp or my life anymore" and was told by some of my best friends that I was doing myself a bigger injustice by inducing all the carbs & natural sugar in the veggies esp since I wasn't even using any buttermilk ranch to offset it with some dairy
    @ WHAAAATTTTT!
    Well I figured I've lost 32 lbs since January 4th whereas none of them have even tried, am sooooooo much happier & full of energy so I think I'm pretty good with the choices I've made and will continue to make. So much for encouraging friends.

LOLOL! Oh wowwwwwww.
  • TennesseeJen
    TennesseeJen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The haters.
  • NicoleLynn0112
    NicoleLynn0112 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    One of my biggest things was learning how to nest my knees for sleeping at night.

Something else that I struggle with is using up the excess energy without irritating others.

Bonus to my friends, since I'm a lightweight I offer to be DD.

So true about the knee thing!!! I'm actually uncomfortable laying with one leg on top of the other because my knee bones dig into each other!
  • yangt41
    yangt41 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    How uncomfortable it starts to get when the only thing people say to you is regarding your weight loss. I loved the compliments at first but now it's the only thing we talk about. And I'm starting to run out of replies! Suggestions?
  • yangt41
    yangt41 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    About 40 lbs lost but I still dread going to the gym... Still waiting for when I start to 'love' exercising!
  • Leoess
    Leoess Posts: 20 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    That losing was easier than maintaining!!!!!!

That often times people wonder "when are you going to be done with all this?" Which the answer is never?? It's a change in habits. For life.

When you sleep better and can function on less sleep because your quality of sleep is better

When your husband can toss you around (which is sexy and a turn on haha)

That people will want advice on how to trim down and see you as a good source of information (kinda scary because never thought I'd be a "go-to" person sometimes)

When you have no problem being nekkid no matter the time of day, lighting or whatever else excuse that use to be used.

All of this...the first one, especially!

Last time I lost weight and tried to maintain, I fell off the wagon and stopped caring, ended up gaining all my lost weight back and more; at least losing weight helps me stay disciplined. Now, granted, I'm only 125lbs right now, but it's actually doing a number on me (5'1" with a dainty frame; apparently my hips and knees are happier at 110lbs). I'd really like not to have to maintain at such a low weight, though; being short and petite doesn't allow for many calories, and I get hungry OFTEN. I hope to gain back some of the lost weight in muscle so I don't have to worry so much about frailty or eating more than I intended.
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Officially_Rosey
    Officially_Rosey Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    yangt41 wrote: »
    About 40 lbs lost but I still dread going to the gym... Still waiting for when I start to 'love' exercising!

I think it helps setting different weekly goals and doing more than just cardio (like adding in strength training). I don't really like cardio but I do at least 30mins just for the sake of having some exercise that MFP will record a calorie loss for. However I really enjoy strength training, it could be because I like getting to use several different machines, I work up more of a sweat than when I do cardio, also that I find it fun to set new goals and activities that are strength training based. I guess it helps that this is the way my PT started with me (strength training focus instead of cardio). It has piqued my interest enough that I do my own research on different resistance/weight/strength training exercises that I'd like to try on days I'm not with my PT. I guess it's about finding your niche in the gym :smiley: Good luck on your journey :smile:
  • Amnayla
    Amnayla Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    katiely95 wrote: »
    After 20+ lbs of weight loss in a little over 2 months...

-Noticing that my shirts aren't half as tight on me as they were before and I actually have room.
    _Looking at my butt in the mirror, and realizing how much more toned it is, with no cellulite.
    -How much work it actually takes to prepare meals
    -How anxious I get to get on that scale every Monday and Friday Morning
    -How I always go to bed sore from working out the day before.
    -How awkward it was to first start picking up weights at the gym next to people who looked like professionals.
    - Gaining more confidence in myself
    - How much I was going to obsess over being healthy, and that I actually enjoy it!
    - Your stomach and love handles seem to be the last things to go. I lost weight around my ribs and my legs first. Now 2 months in, I'm finally starting to see a little bit of results.
    - How hard it is to stay alert and awake without my morning coffee, since I cut all liquid calories. It's also killer to drive past billboards, or even my favorite coffee places, since I used to be so addicted. But, to my own surprise, I haven't stopped once.
    - How much more attracted my significant other seems to be to me. :D
    - How cold you get at night, even with three-four blankets.
    - Being able to watch myself shrink in the mirror each week when I'm at my yoga class, and well as being able to feel more and more of my hipbones in some positions.

There are so many countless more things. I'm just happy I made the decision to start this journey.

How did you lose so fast?
  • monicaale38
    monicaale38 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Amnayla wrote: »
    katiely95 wrote: »
    After 20+ lbs of weight loss in a little over 2 months...

-Noticing that my shirts aren't half as tight on me as they were before and I actually have room.
    _Looking at my butt in the mirror, and realizing how much more toned it is, with no cellulite.
    -How much work it actually takes to prepare meals
    -How anxious I get to get on that scale every Monday and Friday Morning
    -How I always go to bed sore from working out the day before.
    -How awkward it was to first start picking up weights at the gym next to people who looked like professionals.
    - Gaining more confidence in myself
    - How much I was going to obsess over being healthy, and that I actually enjoy it!
    - Your stomach and love handles seem to be the last things to go. I lost weight around my ribs and my legs first. Now 2 months in, I'm finally starting to see a little bit of results.
    - How hard it is to stay alert and awake without my morning coffee, since I cut all liquid calories. It's also killer to drive past billboards, or even my favorite coffee places, since I used to be so addicted. But, to my own surprise, I haven't stopped once.
    - How much more attracted my significant other seems to be to me. :D
    - How cold you get at night, even with three-four blankets.
    - Being able to watch myself shrink in the mirror each week when I'm at my yoga class, and well as being able to feel more and more of my hipbones in some positions.

There are so many countless more things. I'm just happy I made the decision to start this journey.

How did you lose so fast?

You made shred a tear , that's exactly how I feel!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!