WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Got some of my bloodwork tests back. Thyroid too high, so they are lowering the dosage; Potassium a little high, and Dilantin level low (but, I take other seizure meds, so we aren't worried about it (yet). I've got to go back in 6-8 weeks; will have my 'physical' before them (so I need to make sure the intake nurse knows this). The Radiologist won't be back until Tuesday, so I won't find out the results of the sonogram of my cardioid (sp?) tests until after then.

Patsy - I'm a SW GA girl.

Lenora
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have been keeping up with the squat circuit challenge but didn't make it onto the board yesterday and 200 new posts!

Day 7 Squat Circuit Challenge complete
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Just watched a "stay young" programme on the TV. Usual stuff - eat different coloured vegetables, eat less meat, cut down on stress and dance! Apparently it's the best exercise. :D Lots of lentils to reduce visceral fat.

Have any of you done the "Sit and Rise" test. (See utube) I'm going to give it a go tomorrow. ;)

Love Heather UK

Heather ... Didn't know there was a connection between eating lentils and visceral fat. I've seen the Sit and Rise test ... I'm afraid to try it!

Gaggler ... I'm with Drkatiebugs should not have googled that .... For shame!

Younger son had a rough day. Ended up with an emergency appointment with his neurologist after stabbing pain behind his eye into the back of his head had him violently vomiting. He's ok and within the last hour is finally having some pain relief. One of his worst migraines ever.

If I can stay on course, I am going to meet my calorie goal!! It's 8:00 pm here ... I'm thinking an early night will help in this endeavor!!

Miriam ... I love the books on the quilt too!

Beth
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. American Idol finale tonight. Whooooo hooooo.
    I'm going to stay up until 10 tonight. A rare thing. Living the wild life :smiley:

Be back tomorrow.

Kimses in MA
  • ellenfleischman
    ellenfleischman Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    water, sleep, excercise, spirituality, no sugar, etc. 4 april!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    When I looked up gaggler on Dictionary.com I didn't see anything unusual. Then I went to my urban dictionary and I join you all in blushing.

I am going to have to figure out a way in putting my supper in my food diary. We have had a very favorite BBQ place here in Evansville for many years. They made the best German Potato salad II have ever had. But then they had a bad fire in the pit area and it closed the business for several years. It opened last month and e have been anxious to see how it was. Yeeks, the prices! They didn't have any salads at all. I settles for a baked potato with pulled pork and immediately cut it in half. It was one of those giant baked potatoes. I didn't like several things about the place. I asked what their password to get on their guest access. The waitress said they hadn't been told yet. They have been opened for over a month now. Then I asked for their nutritional data. Well the manager is working on it and it isn't finished yet and they can't say anything about any entree until it is al done. I was thinking about lisa the whole time! So I will put in a whole medium potato and I have no idea yet what I will do about the pulled pork. It looked like 4 ounces on the whole potato and I tried to evenly cut it in half. I asked for the sour cream and bacon to be left off so the only thing I had was jack and cheddar cheese. It was good though. I'm not sure if we will go back since the prices were way high.

Joyce, Indiana
  • nb1959
    nb1959 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    campinggirl- after clicking on the star that turns yellow; you will need to go to the 'gray' star to actually get the drop-down screen to get to the current month; and, on the last day, Barbiecat will post a 'new' link to take you to the next month. Most of the time, you'll see that there has been a bit of overlap; read them; but, make sure you wait to post to the last page of the new month. When you post and open the site; you'll find that it goes to the last time you have posted (and there might be some posts of others in the meantime ... I usually go back and read them. But, if you post in the box, you cannot go back to a previous box, unless you save the one you are on. What a lot of us do is open a page in our word processing program and 'minimize' them until they are side-by-side. It works in Windows; but, not sure it would work if you use a different WP program. But, I am guessing I it must. Then you can 'cut and paste' it to the newest box so others can see it. One of the reasons you might be losing what you type is that you've possibly hit the touchpad if you are using a laptop. I have to 'manually' disable my touchpad to use my mouse Wish I could have it do it every time I open up the program, but, so far haven't found that yet- on my computer using Windows 10.

Lenora

WOW Thank YOU!!
  • nb1959
    Options
    Millerxll wrote: »
    Hello, I am new to the community and love the posts on this thread. I am a bit older than many of you, 73 this June, but don't feel my age too much yet. I live in North Georgia, near Chattanooga, Tennessee and have many hobbies. I weave on a 45" Nilus LeClerc 4 harness floor loom, a Kromski Rigid Heddle loom, a Harrisville 26" 4 harness floor loom, an Inkle loom, spin on a Kromski spinning wheel, and crochet and knit. Most of my activities are very sedentary except for my hands and arms. I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes so need to stay faithful to a healthy diet and lifestyle. I am planting a GrowBox garden this year and hope to have lots of fresh vegetables on my deck. :) Patsy bhnrpagbjx9h.jpg

I love this...Noreen in Quincy
  • nb1959
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    wait Patsy do you TAT too? That was something I TRIED to get my grandmother to teach me, but her shuttlecock couldn't do SLOW and she would just mess up when she thought about it too much! She tatted my wedding veil.
    003_zpsgitchoby.jpg
    Becca
    so wished I looked that young in
    Oregon

So, so, so sweet. Noreen in Quincy
  • nb1959
    Options
    ntr704nqd4jb.jpg
    A friend on Facebook sent me this photo. I wish she had sent the real quilt! I guess I will need to go shopping for some fabrics, make out a pattern. Or maybe just drool over the photo!

I love this, too!!! Noreen in Quincy.
  • nb1959
    Options
    Beth ((Hugs)))

Patsy what a fantastic loom!

BC (((Hugs))) the chapter will be writing about today from The Dance of Anger focuses on a woman who is trying to find balance while helping to take care of her elderly father.

Miriam I don't blame you for wanting that quilt. Me too!

Me 3 Noreen in Quincy (former librarian)
  • nb1959
    Options
    Day 6. I have decided not to weigh myself. After 30 years of doing so, I conclude that doesn't work; just too frustrating, pound by pound by tedious pound. Instead, I am going to celebrate going down a size with you, my awesome new and numerous new buddies! Size 18 now...Size 16, watch out! Here I come! Sleep well ladies. As Scarlett said, "Tomorrow is another day!"
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,568 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 13.15min, 13.4amph, 150mhr, 2.9mi = 128c
    OTHER- PHYSICAL THERAPY @ gym- 37min, 8 stretches, 117mhr, some 2sets of 10 w/5lb weights = 140c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.08min, 13.9amph, 147mhr 1.4mi = 72c
    ride wk 2 hm- 50.49min, 157mhr, 138ahr, 12mph, 10.1mi = 521c
    total cal 861

it was a great ride home, when i was coming up to the house, so was kirby! we got home at the same time. the weather was awesome!!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Chris – you can do this… look at some old pics and remember how far you’ve come…

Clare – wishing you well, this is a very supportive friendly group..

Sylvia – you are doing great!!! Think of typing as PT 

Newbies – welcome!!

Larisa – It seems to be worth a few hours to get to know this man and see after that.

Patsy – Cool! I have always wanted to weave.

Allie – good job on spending time with a friend and letting him figure it out on his own… so proud of you! I already knew he wasn’t too bright as he doesn’t value YOU!

Miriam – I love the quilt!!!

Becca and Pip – of course now I had to look it up too… my question is how does Pip know this?

Heather – Oh dear ! I just watched the youtube sit rise test, and I think I’d get a zero…. I’ll try it later.

Today was tough on food, I logged everything and will be under due to exercise calories but was hungry most of the day… don’t know what was up with that. Made a HUGE dinner, 2 cups of chard, onion, mushrooms, tofu and a bit of rice– sauted, filled a big fry pan and only 250 calories… that will hold me I hope!

Kim from N. California
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I tried to read thru,but had to give it up.

Sylvia......best of luck to you as you get back to your healthier self.
    Someone asked if Great grson lived near us. We are in Ohio,he is in Fl......as is our DD,SIL,Grdaughter & Grson.
    We are just 6 miles from other DD.We all keep the phones,puters,ipads,skype etc busy. Hear from each other a lot.

This wk is windy & wet.Was watching The Masters.......looks like we have had the same weather. Love seeing the beautiful flowers & great golf.

Last wk,we took 3 huge bags of clothes to a new vets pantry.Clothes too big,too small,some never worn,along with shoes & several purses.Felt good to get my closet sorted. Still have a couple of long shelves & a coat closet to sort.Coats -jackets are my favs & have way too many.DH says to keep the coats......cause I will just get more. Probably so!

Got new prescription sun glasses & they are perfect.Very dark,but easy to see thru & read with.The clerk was new to me.DH went yest to order new glasses. Was funny when I asked what he thought of her.....he said "not the brighest tack".....the guy ahead of him gave up & left! So there might be another newbie when he goes back.

Have had some days if eating a bit too low......but tomorrow is pizza & salad. Sounds so good. My supper today was fried cabbage with onion & red pepper strips with a turkey sausage.

For those who like the book shelf quilt,you can find the pattern on most quilting sites. Pat

dk8dsd52lij8.jpeg

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,568 Member
    Options
    godmomkim - pip knows all
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,355 Member
    Options
    Did a Booya Fitness Body Conditioning High Intensity Toning DVD today. It was really more cardio than anything else. Oh well... The plan for tomorrow is to do Bob Harper's Body Rev Cardio Conditioning DVD.

barbie - you shocked me! You SAT and watched TV, did you sit on the bike, maybe?

DJ - It may be mouth watering food that I make, but I take it lots of different places, mainly to get it out of my house so I don't eat it. There's a method to my madness! Plus, I like to try new and healthy recipes. It's so weird that I'm really looking forward to being able to exercise on a treadmill or elliptical. Funny how you miss things! I also miss a spin bike. But oh well......

I bought a pair of PJ's yeaterday at the Salvation Army. Really, the one pair I had the pants were falling down on me. No, I'm sure it's not from losing weight. It's most likely because it was washed so many times that the elastic is stretched. They're a Medium and I should have a small. I'm not crazy about them, but for $3 I'll live. I'll take them to Jess' this weekend and see if they fall down on me. If they do, the worst that can happen is that I redonate them. It isn't very often that you find a full pair of pamajas, it's usually just the tops or just the bottoms.

After ceramics yesterday we took my old bike to give to this lady who'll give it to a theater company. Really, I haven't used it in over 20 years. I got it when my mother was still alive and she's been dead over 50 years. It's just something "different". I didn't want to just donate it to the Salvation Army. Now to get Vince to put Bryan's bike on Craigslist.

Becca - post all you like of your boys. Personally, I love seeing their pics. I love the idea of a talking scale. As long as it's a sexy male voice, I don't care who's it is!

Sioux, you know, I don't think I've ever made a quilt with batting that you tie. The one quilt that I made is just two pieces of flannel, you cut to size and then cut inch strips on all the sides. Then you tie the strips and that holds the two pieces of flannel together

Joyce - if I'm not mistaken, recently Becca posted a pic of her rotary phone. So that pic is probably current. He's still handsome.

Larisa - I got my TRX off Amazon. I got the TRX Basic Trainer kit and door anchor (I wasn't crazy about attaching something to my ceiling). It got pretty high reviews. http://www.amazon.com/TRX-Suspension-Trainer-Basic-Anchor/dp/B002YRB35I?ie=UTF8&keywords=TRX&qid=1460020852&ref_=sr_1_1&s=exercise-and-fitness&sr=1-1#Ask

campinggirl - welcome! what was your mini goal?

Penny - I feel for ya. Can you get to a store nearby often?

Read this in *Shape* magazine today. "You know that guy in California who held a plank for more than five hours? Don't try to emulate him. Unless you're doing it for bragging rights rather than fitness gain, most studies and experts say that you don't need to hold a plank for more than two minutes. In fact, researchers at the American Council on Exercise have reported that going beyond 30 seconds doesn't offer extra benefits. That's because it's more likely that your form will go to crap before you can eke out any more sculpting. Instead, bang out those planks with these ideas to get firmer faster.
    Keep 'Em Super Short As in just do them for 10 seconds at a time. Ironically, that's the sweet spot when it comes to training for endurance compared with doing dynamic exercises like crunches, according to a study in the *Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research *. These quick, repeated holds eventually build a stronger and more powerful core. Do five sets daily or on alternate days.
    Plank in Motion Once you prove to yourself that you can plank a solid 30 seconds to two minutes without a single quiver, get dynamic: Switch up and down from forearms to palms, do a little rotation and alternately bring knees to opposite elbows or start a new challenge and see how many push-ups you can do in that same time span. You'll firm more muscles and it's a helluve lot more fun than holding steady as you chase minutes on a clock. Consider it graduating.

Chris - boy, Gay sure is in good shape for 53! Have fun on your trip

DJ - looks like you need to get your boot out for Chris!

Welcome everyone new!

Patsy - great looking loom

Becca - what a lovely veil and I'm sure it is extra special since your grandmother made it. You were a lovely bride (not bad groom, either)

DJ - whenever I take the extremepump class, I ALWAYS wipe down not only the barbell but also the free weights.

I just realized that it's TOMORROW that we leave to go to Jess'! I'd like to clean the counters, vacuum the floors, I want to clean the stainless steel appliances. Yes, so the robber doesn't see a dirty house....lol. Have to get my food to take with me ready. Then I take another bag of food for the return trip home. Vince always says that he doesn't like to sit in the fast food places where they can see my "contraband". To me, I feel so much better when I have decent food.

Sioux - One of the things I like about crocheting or x-stitching is the fact that I can't sit and eat, because if food gets on the item I'm making, I know who will have to wash it! (and pray the stain comes out)

Had to check out what a gaggler was. Now I wish I hadn't. On the positive side, it made my stomach turn to the point that I don't care to eat anything.

Beth - best wishes for your son. How hard it is for you! Its so hard to see the ones we love in such pain

nb - love your look on things,

Pat - I just love when I have to give away clothes that are too big, I don't really like having to give away things that I've never worn but sometimes it's better to do that than to keep it.

I'm going to try to post a pic of the turtle and worm on the log for out by our pool and another of one of the beaded banners that I'm making. Two down, two more to go

Michele in NC98d1vx47n6ye.jpg
    fvqvr8xpu8hu.jpg
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michelle, I have made a couple of tied quilts. My Mom said that that was one of her happiest times when they all got home from school and their Mom had a quilt laying flat on the living room floor ready for them to start tieing. I"m sure those kids didn't follow a pattern but I do try. I will try to post a picture of my favorite one. I bought a pack of curved needles, they have a big eye to accomodate your thick yarn, go under and up and tie it, then cut and start the next tie. I loved it because you could use less batting and you got your quilt finished quicker.

My sis had a PET scan today and will have the results next Monday. Basically if there are no 'hot spots' on this scan, therapy will work. If it shows some hot spots that means the melanoma has spread out from the lymph nodes and there would be no therapy offered. She is leaning toward no therapy anyway.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Penny: I'm sorry for your personal technology revolt. I hope you can subdue the miscreants. :sad: :devil:

Sylvia: I am so happy you're noticing improvements! :heart:

lwischer2014: Portion control is the little engine that can and does facilitate change. It can change your life and still let you have things you love. Servings of favorite treats will likely be smaller and a little less frequent but life can be good. I recommend measuring food amounts with scales or measuring cups of some kind. Moving more is also a key and it is great when you can find something you love. In my case that would be yoga and horseback riding but there are quite a few dancers and kettle bell enthusiasts here. There is an avid cyclist, too. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I am hoping your internet problems are solved quickly. I miss your posts. :sad:

Patsy from N TN: Welcome to our group. Is that your loom? I am fascinated! :smiley:

Miriam: I love the quilt! :flowerforyou:

Beth: (((HUGS))) for you and your son. I hope tomorrow is a better day.

It has been a good but busy day. We decided we wanted to put vinyl flooring over the pink waterproofing in the storage closet off of the deck. I went to our local flooring store and found the perfect remanent. It has been installed. Yay!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • grammyx23
    grammyx23 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Miriam - quilt is gorgeous.

All you guys are so busy posting. Ive spent the whole evening catching up and missing "Blue Bloods (I'll watch Tom Selleck any time).

Tomorrow is anpther day working on mom's house. Good night to all of my new friends.

Sioux in Tulsa