WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• nb1959
    nb1959 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    OK, I didn't binge, but I am over 168. This is really, really hard. I am chewing gum like a maniac!!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr of Bob Harper's Body Rev Cardio Conditioning DVD today. Not sure what I'll do tomorrow at the hotel, I'm guessing maybe incline intervals on the treadmill. It's been AGES since I've done those.

Joyce - hoping and praying that the therapy worked for your sister

lwischer - I agree that smaller portions are a good thing. There are some people on here who can't have just a small bite of a certain trigger food or else they just can't stop having it. I'm one of those fortunate ones that just a little bite is enough to satisfy me. You WILL see the sizes of the foods go down and eventually (believe it or not) you will even find that you don't want the food at times but would rather a piece of fruit or something. Like if someone offered me a piece of pizza or a nice, juice, ripe peach, at this point I'd choose the peach. Last summer I didn't buy any ice cream for myself. I got some grapes and froze them. To me, that was a good, cold snack. But something like that comes in time. You'll get there. For example, this morning I was just craving something chocolate. A serving of Chips Ahoy cookies are 3 cookies. I only had 1 and was completely satisfied.

katla - good for you getting that flooring installed! Bet it looks great. And you were able to use a remnant, how wonderful!

I took that sit-and-rise test. I was actually quite surprised at how well I did. Usually, in a DVD they go so fast that there is no way I can keep up so I don't get all the way up. But since there wasn't a time limit, I only needed one arm to get up and one to help get down. I told you my balance stunk. I did have to watch the video because I wasn't sure if you could go back down and be seated any way or if you needed to be seated cross-legged. So those of you who say they could never do it -- give it a try. I surprised myself, and you just might surprise yourself, too.

Welcome all newcomers!

Well, I'm back. I tried to post to my homepage what was going on. Hope everyone saw it. Yea, I got to do incline intervals on the treadmill Sat, then we had the shower. I had a small piece of cake, only because the lady who made it was there. Truthfully, I would have preferred to have had just fruit. I honestly didn't think the cake itself had much flavor and to me the icing was had too much Crisco in it. Her mother did do a lot of decorating. I had mostly veges and fruit, a small piece of vege quiche and a few small pieces of cheese. Only water to drink.

Today I used the elliptical (yea yea)

The night before we all went out to dinner (the idea was to keep the gal away from her boyfriend while he picked his mother up at the airport and took her out to dinner). I just had a child's portion of salmon, some steamed spinach and half a baked potato (it was so big!!!) Nothing on the potato. Then we went for frozen yogurt. It was to keep her busy, but why did I have any? It wasn't all that great. But they did have fruit for toppings.

The hotel usually has hard boiled eggs but this time they didn't. Note to self: bring hard boiled eggs with me and if they don't have them, I can bring my own. As it was, I brought my own cereal and had some tomatoes that I wanted to finish up. They did have spinach and I usually get 1/2 an English Muffin with salsa on it. To me, that's pretty filling.

Did a fair amount of x-stitch in the car. I certainly can't take the beaded banner with me! This x-stitch is quite involved so I know it'll take me a long time to do it.

Lenora - that beaded banner is meant to be hung. The kit does come with a hanger, but I thought it looked pretty chinsy. I think using 2 decorative picture hangers would look better. Congrats on cleaning out your closet

Remember how I was telling you that I finally talked Vince into landscaping the area in front of the house between the garage and the sidewalk? Well, now that the grass is growing, there are like 2 types of grass. One the regular grass and the other this thick bladed grass. Also, I KNOW I told the guy that in front of the garage I wanted plants that bloomed early in the season. Well, I called him to ask him why the grass was this way. Our neighbor had a lawn put in and this didn't happen, why did it happen to us. His answer? "Well, that's why I wanted to use sod, but you wanted to go the cheaper way. That's seeds that were in the straw". Well, the people across the street used straw and they didn't have this problem.

I asked him when the bushes he put in were going to bloom. They are this boring green stuff. That's NOT what I wanted. So I'm going to have to break it to Vince that I think we're going to have to dig up all those bushes (only 5), put in something that blooms, and probably replant those bushes somewhere that I don't care if they don't bloom. This guy is the son of the lady who does the sewing. So I thought I'd give him a little business. I showed him what else has to be done so he knows that there's the opportunity for added business. But now I'm so very disappointed that I probably won't give he any more business. I think I'll just say to Vince "I made a mistake, I trusted when I told him I wanted something that bloomed, he'd give me something that bloomed. I made a mistake"

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to post from my tablet.

nb - lawnmower golf...LOL What lovely pics

DJ - I wore those PJ's. They didn't fall down as much as the old ones, so I'll probably keep them. I really should have had a "small" size, tho. But at that price, I'll live. I'm giving one banner for Christmas to each of the kids and we'll have one for us

Just made another spinach feta quiche to have in the freezer. I would have made 2, but I don't think we have enough milk and Vince isn't about to go out

Rori - so glad your labs came back great

Sylvia - (((HUGS))))

Selina - I never heard of Strontium and I have osteoporosis. What exactly is it?

Joyce - every time I hear a commercial for Christopher and Banks, I think of you

Larisa - Jess' friend who does skydiving stopped in to see her this weekend. Then she and her hubby were off to Panama. He has a "squirrel" suit for diving

CJ - so glad you had such a wonderful time in Peru

Becca - when strawberries are in season, I buy lots, cut them up, and then freeze them so I have them all year round

Lenora - can't you take those Lactose tablets?

DJ - why doe you think your friend is obese? I have a friend who thought she was obese, she had WLS. Really, all she needed to do was watch her intake of food. That's what the WLS is doing for her.

Gotta count the collection money at the church tomorrow then have senior bowling then we go to ceramics then I go to mahjongg. Busy busy busy. Mondays are rough. I told Vince we need to go to the store so I can get things to make something for Rummikub Tues night. Didn't think I'd be going or I would have bought things earlier

Michele in NC
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    nb1959 wrote: »
    Annr wrote: »
    strawberries_zpswdvwl7mt.jpg

Can't wait until I can buy strawberries this summer... These were from last summer. MUTANT huh!
    Becca
    makin yer mouth water on a Sunday in
    Oregon[/quote

Last year, my songbirds ate all of mine!! Any secrets? Noreen

Um I bought my strawberries from the store....no songbirds in there...I grew some but they never got big, not enough sun.... Maybe netting on the plants?
    Becca
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    nb1959 wrote: »
    Annr wrote: »
    I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL I CAN HARVEST TOMATOES....(ok I shouted that but I saw this picture from last year, and YES I grew that!)

100_3335_zpsdtu6dwqw.jpg

Becca
    Oregon

Again, like the strawberries, mine look nothing like that. And Quincy, FL is known for tomatoes. Maybe it's me that's the problem!!

My neighbor works at Bio Protein Oregon, which makes plant and shellfish based fertilizer products. I rec'd a bag of dried shrimp fertilizer, and my tomatoes exploded out of my community garden plot...like they were on steroids!
    Becca
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Kristan- Squat challenge is still going well, even with the added weight. I think I am going to do the weights tomorrow, but if that many with the additional 10 pounds is too much I will just continue the squats without the weight.

Tell me about your squat challenge. When you use weights, how do you hold them? How many squats to do you do each day?

:) Barbie

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,536 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,536 Member
    Options
    no workout today
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi all!
    Had a wonderful time with my girlfriends at the lake. Yesterday afternoon the weather was brisk but sunny so I took the opportunity to walk for a couple of miles by the lake while my friends went shopping. It was glorious. We spent the rest of our time eating, drinking and enjoying the surroundings and company. I got to share my "perfect first date" story, which I would be happy to relive with any of you that would be interested.

I have always had a fantasy that a man would show up on our first date with a rose, AND HE DID! I almost fell over when I saw him walk in with a rose and also that he was as handsome as his online pictures. He was dressed impeccably which told me that he cared enough to look his best and give a good impression. Fortunately the restaurant was not too noisy and we were able to hear each other talk. We had originally decided to meet for a drink and appetizers which then evolved into a full dinner because we were just enjoying each other's company so much. He is intelligent, articulate and funny. He commented that I was smaller than my online pictures (which were taken last summer) and he asked if that was intentional. I told him that I'm about 10lbs. lighter, and that it was intentional. I told him that I work to keep my weight in check everyday either by watching what I eat and/or exercise. It was very gratifying to know that all my hard work for the past 580 days has been worth it, not in just the complements I got but in the self confidence I gained. Without that self confidence I would never have had the courage to job hunt or join a dating site.

I'm trying to keep my expectations in check , but I feel like a teenager and can't wait to talk to him again.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michele, I haven't even heard a Christopher and Banks commercial. I really like the clothes although when my girls go to the mall, they don't even want to go in there. The other main plus size shop we have here is Lane Bryants and to me it is for old ladies. Michelle does go there to buy her bras.

Noreen, where do you live that you have alligators in your area? I have seen armodillos in Arkansas but they were dead. They don't move very fast to get across the road.

CJ, I forget the reason of your trip. It sure sounds exciting. Looking forward to pictures although some of them might have been illegal.

I go with my sister and BIL tomorrow for her oncologist. She is to get the report of this PET scan which will them whether immunology will even be offered. I'm not sure she will say yes even if it offered. I can't imagine my life here without her. It was her my Mom and I that lived here in Evansville. All of our other siblings lived across the country. We always had a tradition that for our birthdays we would go to this one place that served the most delicious coconut meringue pie. The rest of their menu was real good also. When Mom died we decided that we didn't need to go there since I didn't eat the pie. But I told Norma that e really needed to go back there again. She eagerly agreed. It ill help us feel closer to Mom there. And yes, I am being bad in eating that pie but right now I emotionally need it. I have a Sunday school class member that has a daughter with cancer. She was feeling fine one day and that night she woke up with severe rectal bleeding. She went to the ER where they found cancer of liver, spine, colon and brain. She is not doing well at all right now and it really hits home that my sister may not have long if she doesn't take this immunotherapy. We will know more tomorrow what the life expectancy is with stage 3 malignant melanoma.

Life is precious dear friends, take advantage of each and every moment.

Joyce, Indiana
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Chris - I am so happy for you! Take it slow, and savor every moment!

Kim in N. Ca
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Joyce, so funny you think Lane Bryant is for old ladies. I think the clothes in there seem to be for younger women. I love Christopher and Banks, too, but right now I seem to be having more luck at Chico's.

Beth, I'm so sorry about the episode with your son. Hugs to you.

Allie, hugs to you, too. I'm sorry you are so unhappy.

Sylvia, I miss you. Hope you are recovering.

I love the loom and the tomatoes, the dogs and the walking poster. Thanks to all who shared.

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    I go with my sister and BIL tomorrow for her oncologist. She is to get the report of this PET scan which will them whether immunology will even be offered. I'm not sure she will say yes even if it offered. I can't imagine my life here without her. It was her my Mom and I that lived here in Evansville. All of our other siblings lived across the country. We always had a tradition that for our birthdays we would go to this one place that served the most delicious coconut meringue pie. The rest of their menu was real good also. When Mom died we decided that we didn't need to go there since I didn't eat the pie. But I told Norma that e really needed to go back there again. She eagerly agreed. It ill help us feel closer to Mom there. And yes, I am being bad in eating that pie but right now I emotionally need it. I have a Sunday school class member that has a daughter with cancer. She was feeling fine one day and that night she woke up with severe rectal bleeding. She went to the ER where they found cancer of liver, spine, colon and brain. She is not doing well at all right now and it really hits home that my sister may not have long if she doesn't take this immunotherapy. We will know more tomorrow what the life expectancy is with stage 3 malignant melanoma.

Life is precious dear friends, take advantage of each and every moment.

Joyce, Indiana

Prayers for you & your sister.❤️
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,200 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Joyce - I did hear on a radio programme that the immunology therapy has good results. Of course, I am not an expert. Sending you and your sister loads of love and hugs. <3
    I have felt quite helpless with my cancer friend in London who doesn't seem to want me to visit her. We do email and speak on the phone.

The patio washing man is here. Oh my word! He estimated 2 hrs work. He has been here 2 hrs and is only half way through. It's taking out all the weeds as well, which is great. He's all dressed up in waterproof gear. So glad I decided to employ someone and not try to do it ourselves. The paving was black with dirt and mould. Now it's yellow! He also trimmed round the grass edging. Terrible racket though with the petrol engine.

I want to do my roots today so I look good for our evening out tonight. Also have a quick chase round the living room in case they come back for a coffee. It always feels funny when I don't have to cook an evening meal. I usually prep it after lunch.

Kim - The internet is more stable, but horribly slow. No videos, tv or even large photos. Still crackling away on the phone line. Let's hope they can sort it out on Wednesday.

Love to all, Heather UK
  • grammyx23
    grammyx23 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Lenora - We aren't wearing masks & gloves for this house but we did for the other house. Yes, mom has 2 houses, both full of stuff. The first one had visible evidence of being infested with mice so we didn't enter the house without mask & gloves. My brother died 7 years ago because he inhaled dried mouse urine. Took just 6 months. It destroys the alviolii in the lungs. He acquired a fishing boat that had been stored in a barn for awhile. He was planning to replace the floor covering on the boat. While removing the old covering of course his face was in close proximity to the dust he was disturbing. Unfortunately he didn't realize the danger he was putting himself in & did not wear a mask. That was in the fall & he was gone before the end of the following April. And yes he did seek medical care but nothing could be done to stop the progression.

Sioux in Tulsa
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Monday! Back to the work a day life for me! I love the rest and relaxation with time off, but I need routine in my life. Gained a pound. But that's not bad. It will come back off now that my days are back to normal. Must have been the "beer a day" diet I was on! :D
    Joyce- So sorry to hear about your sister's continued journey with this and your friend's daughter also. Cancer is just the shittiest disease. Like many, I have lost too many loved ones to this disease. Love, hugs, prayers and all good vibes I can send your way <3
    Heather- LOL! I can picture your help in his full waterproof gear! It is nice to see things getting ready for warmer weather though. Just think how much you will enjoy the time on your freshly scrubbed patio! I meant to mention in my last comment to you that I loved the pic of the kids with the blue tongues! I really think the kids pick the blue lollies just so they have tongues that color. I remember my sister and I used to get those white malted milk balls at Easter, we would give them a lick, then paint our lips...voila! Frosted lips!
    Barbie- The squat challenge Kristan and I are doing is the one I posted at the end of March. It is a 30 day challenge that builds up to 200 squats/day. I have added weight to the first couple weeks, because I have strong legs and need to make it more challenging. Now as the count is getting to 100 and above, I may drop down on the weight. I usually hold a 10 dumbbell at chest level and squat. You have been doing kettlebell work outs, so this may not be a challenge for you (unless you tailor it to your needs).
    MIkesmom (is it Chris?)- Your first date sounds wonderful! Doesn't it feel good to make that connection with some one? Sounds like your trip with your girlfriends was relaxing and just what you needed!
    Becca and Noreen- I had a bunch of wild strawberries growing in my back yard; I transplanted them to containers last year after we picked the berries. They grew well in my sandy soil, so I wasn't sure if they'd take to potting soil and Miracle Grow. Wild berries are usually smaller, anyway; but they bore fruit again after transplanting and they were bigger in the potting soil than in the sandy soil. Zucchini also grows well in my yard.
    Anne- Glad you are feeling better and getting back into the gym. Hopefully as you work out, it will give you more energy and your immune system the boost it needs! Love and hugs going out to you!
    Well, time is flying. First child has arrived and eaten her breakfast. Next one arrives shortly and my day has started! Love you ladies, you are in my thoughts many times throughout the day! <3
  • calefor
    calefor Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    :) woke up at 2am & couldn't sleep so catching up on 200+ posts! I'm going to be tired at work today but just can't get back to sleep. Hope you all have a great day!
    Connie in Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,694 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    well I didn't sleep well at all and didnt end up at the gym..
    I finally broke down and told Tom about dad getting airline tickets for Nashville...so I did make reservations and got car rental.. I am such a penny pincher, the fee's and taxes that Tennessee charges are outrageous... 17 1/4 % so spent more than I wanted to, but I have a feeling we will have a great time, will be a nice father daughter trip
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,048 Member
    Options
    Alison have a wonderful time on your trip. You deserve it.

Sioux I am so sorry about your brother. A reminder how important it is to protect yourself before starting a project.

Reflections on Dance with Anger:
    In the next example from Dances with Anger she discusses trying to find the right balance being separate from someone and togetherness. Either extreme "don't involve me it is not my problem " and "I know what is best for you is ineffective in building a healthy relationship." When I over function though I am not giving my son a chance to solve his own problems. Sometimes I have to learn not to help. She emphasizes that stepping back does not mean withdrawing emotional support. Despite the difficulties my son is having he does know I love him and I believe in him.

The author brings out an interesting paradox in trying to rush in to solve my son's problems I under function trying to solve my own problems. I mentioned that before that my son's problems was taking such a big space in my life. Now that I consciously have decided to step back; it is allowing me to start working on my own issues with anger. It is an example of that adage you need to give yourself oxygen first before you can help others when the plane is going down.

I agree with the author in rather than give advise unless asked (even then being careful how it is given because sometimes others just need to vent which is part of their process) is to start to share the times I struggled and what helped me in those times. Sharing family stories or how they struggled, and what they did. I remember the story of my dad and how he came from a background of poverty and a difficult father. When he was a young man he made a conscious decision he would work his way out of it. He did make the decision that all anger was bad and was not to be expressed. This did not work for him. I understand now why he thought this way, but for me it confused me when I would feel angry. I am angry what do I do with it. This is probably the biggest reason I am finding reflecting on the lessons this author is sharing so beneficial to me. Anger is not the problem. It becomes a problem when expressed inappropriately.

:heart: Margaret

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    B)