WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Barbie- The squat challenge Kristan and I are doing is the one I posted at the end of March. It is a 30 day challenge that builds up to 200 squats/day. I have added weight to the first couple weeks, because I have strong legs and need to make it more challenging. Now as the count is getting to 100 and above, I may drop down on the weight. I usually hold a 10 dumbbell at chest level and squat. You have been doing kettlebell work outs, so this may not be a challenge for you (unless you tailor it to your needs).

:) Thank you for the info...I remember something about the challenge you posted and decided that having squats as part of my weight training was sufficient. I have been experimenting with different ways to add weight and your plan of holding a dumbbell at chest level sounds perfect. :) Do you do all your 100+ squats at one time or in smaller amounts throughout the day?
  • simsisfun
    simsisfun Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good Morning. I hope to stay motivated by trying this piece of myfitness pal. I just completed one whole week of using the food and exercise logs. an "attagirl" helps. I think I will enjoy reading the posts here
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Chris in MA - so glad to see you excited over your first date! If he's one-tenth as awesome as he sounds, I'd be excited, too!

Allie - hope you really enjoy your trip with your dad.

For those who are hurting, know you're in my thoughts. For those who are succeeding, keep it up!

Morning, all... slept like a baby last night. Not sure why, but really appreciate a break from the usual insomnia!

Took the weekend off of formal exercise, but ended up putting 16,500 steps in on Saturday--we worked in the warehouse all day--cleaned out (literally) a truckload of old stuff, excavating some of the old dirt buildup as we went along, and finally laying out what we want the inside to look like. The plan's shown below... The rooms on the left side already exist. The bathroom/kitchen/laundry room and woodshop are what we're working on next. We bought the framing lumber for them last week, and then got the space scrubbed out, lines painted for first approximation this week. Bathroom is first!

The plan, subject to change of course, is that DH will meet me in Odessa on Sunday on my way back from East Texas. and we'll get the tub surround and other bits and pieces. Hopefully, while I'm gone, he'll get the walls for the bathroom framed up and the plumbing and electrical in and ready to go. We've been able to recover a lot of PVC and other items, as well as a lot of distressed lumber that we'll be able to reuse for various things, but not for framing.

My eating is off the chain, but just trying to take it one day at a time... doing well at exercise. Just trying to be lighter at the end of the month than I was at the beginning, and trying not to stress about it--because I eat my stress. Have a grand week, my dears! I will leave early Wednesday morning for my nine-hour drive to Denison, will stay there for four nights in a hotel and see my sister during the days, and planning to take one day to drive four hours south and see our brother. Can't wait!

Lisa in West Texas (today and tomorrow, anyway). :)

2cz1mcstz1bg.jpg

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Beth, as I was sitting in my hot tub doing my workout this morning, I was thinking about you and your son. When you say the treatments don't work, I was wondering what your definition of a treatment working is. Medication does not alleviate ALL of the symptoms. It only lessens them to a manageable level. The person, like me, that has a severe mental illness, must do a lot of other things to manage life with a severe mental illness. Someone who has schizophrenia or mania has to learn how to ignore the voices/ sounds. They don't go away entirely, they just are diminished with medication. Someone who is having paranoid thoughts has to learn to use cognitive therapy (changing your thinking) or learn how to ignore/ manage the voices or even to check with others about if their reaction is out of line or not. At this point I am reminded of the man in northern Iowa who talked back to his voices, aloud, and kept getting picked up by the police and put in the hospital since it scared others. He managed the voices, not by stopping his talking back to them (arguing with them that they were wrong) but by holding a cell phone to his ear when he talked back to them so people thought he was just having an argument on the phone!

People with depression, like me, learn how important daily exercise, eating right, sunlight, cognitive therapy (changing our thinking), not isolating, and other things are to our well being. Medication does not "cure" depression. It just gives one the ability to use other tactics to manage life. That is why a wellness recovery plan is so important. There are things one has to do every single day to stay well. (Avoiding alcohol and street drugs is probably the most important.)

Peer support (people like me helping others, since I have been trained in listening, etc.) can be very helpful. The Depressive Bipolar Support Alliance is a good source of peer support through their support groups and literature.

Sometimes people have to make a major life change to minimize stress, which makes symptoms worse. That is why my oldest sister went from negotiating contracts for the aerospace industry (big bucks) to negotiating contracts for academia WITH the aerospace industry (much less money but also a more relaxed work environment since the focus was on learning, not making money for shareholders). Throughout my career, I intentionally did not seek out supervisory roles, or management roles, since there was more stress in those roles. So I worked in direct care where there was less stress, but also far less money. I changed my standards for housework and other things, giving myself permission to be less than perfectly tidy since that was additional stress I did not need. Others go to minimizing possessions to lessen the stress of housework.

I don't know your son's situation, and if any of this applies. It was just my thoughts as I was working out in my hot tub. The mental health system will NOT tell clients these things. They have to be learned from peers. The system makes more money if you stay sick. If you figure out how to take care of yourself, and get stable on meds, you can do what I do- get a primary care doc to prescribe my meds and avoid the mental health system completely. So they really are not invested in wellness, and even worse, many of the people working in the mental health system do not believe that anyone can actually get better. That belief is passed on to clients through subtle means, so that the clients do not get better. This paragraph sounds paranoid but there is research that substantiates what I say.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,366 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Lisa - It's looking good! :flowerforyou:

The man took over 4 hrs to wash the patio. He had ear protectors. He's done a terrific job and I'm so pleased I took a unilateral decision to get it done and pay for it myself. :bigsmile: He got a very big tip. :D Although he did wash down the windows I will have to go out and polish them up. I have just ordered a cheaper equivalent of Wet and Forget that Michele is always talking about, so we won't have to do it again. DH is also going to get some stuff that you brush into the gaps to seal them. Now I won't have to be ashamed of my patio and mouldy table! :D
    Then we nipped out to town to top up our shopping. I needed earplugs and Valerian tablets. B)

When we got back our Saga cruise info about excursions was waiting on the mat for us. I will have to make some quick decisions on the limited availability ones.
    Penny - Will you definitely be able to meet me in Longyearbyen? I'm not sure if DH will want to go on theorganised Glacier Walk, but it is very expensive. I would love to meet up with you. Now I've just got to get DH to make his mind up which other ones we should go on. :| I want to book early for an inflatable dinghy ride up a fjord. :D

I did my roots and I've put a tiny bit of tanner on my face as I am blanch white. I also booked a hair trim for next week. I reckon that will be perfect timing for one more root touch up and one more trim before the cruise. Getting excited now!

Just been making carrot and swede puree to portion up and put in the freezer. I love it.

Love Heather UK
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Lisa ~ Have fun on your trip. Your plans look great. Are you going to have any closets?

KJ ~ Glad you had a restful week. Your day care kids are lucky to have you.

Joyce ~ Prayers for your sister.

Lenora ~ I think my mom was probably the principal's secretary when you were in MPH. She didn't stay long because my dad opened his restaurant at High Falls and she was needed there.

Heather ~ You will enjoy your clean patio. I am waiting for the pollen to stop here so I can wash down my screened in porch. Everything on it is yellow and looks nasty. I just had it painted at the end of last summer and I think I may have to dab more paint on in places as the guy that did it tried to finish the whole thing after it turned night fall as he was going to another job the next day. The stain he put on the floor didn't cover well and needs to be redone.

Carol
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,726 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    Had a wonderful time with my girlfriends at the lake. Yesterday afternoon the weather was brisk but sunny so I took the opportunity to walk for a couple of miles by the lake while my friends went shopping. It was glorious. We spent the rest of our time eating, drinking and enjoying the surroundings and company. I got to share my "perfect first date" story, which I would be happy to relive with any of you that would be interested.

I have always had a fantasy that a man would show up on our first date with a rose, AND HE DID! I almost fell over when I saw him walk in with a rose and also that he was as handsome as his online pictures. He was dressed impeccably which told me that he cared enough to look his best and give a good impression. Fortunately the restaurant was not too noisy and we were able to hear each other talk. We had originally decided to meet for a drink and appetizers which then evolved into a full dinner because we were just enjoying each other's company so much. He is intelligent, articulate and funny. He commented that I was smaller than my online pictures (which were taken last summer) and he asked if that was intentional. I told him that I'm about 10lbs. lighter, and that it was intentional. I told him that I work to keep my weight in check everyday either by watching what I eat and/or exercise. It was very gratifying to know that all my hard work for the past 580 days has been worth it, not in just the complements I got but in the self confidence I gained. Without that self confidence I would never have had the courage to job hunt or join a dating site.

mikesmom - I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU I CAN'T STAND IT!!

oh yeah, morning peeps.

my quote button isn't working :0/

exermom - lololol,, looks like that fire was started w/gas huh!! dried tree branches did it, I was having so much fun !
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Carol - the area across from the w/d will be hanging closet and dresser, and there's a chest-of-drawers in the bedroom. Neither Corey nor I are terribly interested in clothes, and our entire hanging set of clothes doesn't even take up six feet together.

I'm working on the Big Book o' Death this morning, getting all the information up to date on bills, where vital information can be found, etc. Some people prepare for a trip by packing... I update my emergency info. :blush: A little weird, I know. There is one good thing about the aforementioned clothing situation. A couple pair of jeans, double set of undies, a swimsuit, workout stuff, and t-shirts, and I'm pretty well packed. One suitcase, my gym bag and my computer, and I'll be on the road! Can't wait 'til Wednesday!

Lisa in sunny, beautiful West Texas
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,366 Member
    Options
    Lisa - oh the bliss of living in a warm climate instead of having to pack for at least 3 seasons, if not 4. :laugh:
    My problem is never the clothes, but I have trouble with toiletries and medicaments. Not so much if I'm staying in Britain, but if I'm going abroad. I always pack as if I'm going to the middle of the jungle or desert. :noway: Most places have pharmacies, don't they?

Feeling hungry. We won't be eating until gone 8 pm and we normally eat just gone 6 pm. :'( Carrots here I come!

Heather UK
  • nb1959
    nb1959 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Oh, y'all. I binged again last night on Cascadian Farms Oats and Honey Crunch. 6 ounces, almost half a box. That's two nights in a row. I have a new plan for tonight. After dinner, I am going to our upstairs den and working on a storyboard. John is not going to like this, but I cannot just sit there and watch his 6 foot tall, 150 lb self eat all night. I love him dearly but this is just too much. Now I know how I gained 60 pounds in 10 years. Got it. Well, they say the first step is admitting you have a problem...thank you for reading this. I am grateful for your support.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    nb1959 wrote: »
    Oh, y'all. I binged again last night on Cascadian Farms Oats and Honey Crunch. 6 ounces, almost half a box. That's two nights in a row. I have a new plan for tonight. After dinner, I am going to our upstairs den and working on a storyboard. John is not going to like this, but I cannot just sit there and watch his 6 foot tall, 150 lb self eat all night. I love him dearly but this is just too much. Now I know how I gained 60 pounds in 10 years. Got it. Well, they say the first step is admitting you have a problem...thank you for reading this. I am grateful for your support.

Cereal is my downfall too. Staying out of my kitchen is the only way to deal with that. So mentally I say that the kitchen it closed for me after 7 PM. I try to fix dinner at 5 or 6 PM so I can be done by 7 PM. Sometimes I have dishes to do, and my husband and sons leftovers sitting in their pots talking to me, so I don't put away their leftovers either. Seeing the serving spoon is like telling me to take a bite, so I just don't go there. Last night I made my husband french toast, and I was boiling carrots. It's not easy, but I just play the part of awesome chef and think, "I am so special I have to make food just for me". My 100 g of boiled baby carrots, 2 tsp of light margarine, 2 tsp of brown sugar, and 1/4 cup walnuts was just fine, and yep I scraped the pot to get all the sweet syrup!
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    This morning I aqua-aerobic'ed it in the pool and it felt really good! I am feeling the affects of dancing in the pool though. I did alot of push-ups with my arms on the sides of the pool. The Center was playing great music over the speakers, so I danced in the water, and did pull-ups with my arms under the water.

It was nice to wake up, weigh, and be under the 230 mark. Presently at 228.8. Feel like I am turning a corner, and getting closer to Onederland! I would like to never see 230's again thankyouverymuch.

I never told you guys that my Eldest Navy son called me on Friday evening. We talked for 3.5 hrs.... Actually we were having fun being on the phone, and looking on googlemap at all our old homes. You can click on it, and there is a place where you can slide on the dates (of when the google car came by that area). Some were back to 2007 so one previous residence showed our RV parked in the front! The last time he came by, we saw the google map car, and waved to it. If you wish to see it
    https://www.google.com/maps/@46.163112,-123.9010976,3a,33.1y,153.74h,78.58t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1shY5lUTd6g0sqRwKKMboDsw!2e0!6s//geo0.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=hY5lUTd6g0sqRwKKMboDsw&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=114.24052&pitch=0!7i13312!8i6656

let me see if that worked.
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    Cool, yep. So you can zoom in using the plus sign, and see my Son driving and giving the thumbs up sign, and I am in the salmon pink sweat jacket waving! That is my sons awesome Japanese truck. You can also use the compass thingy and look around it. And yep its a right-hand drive truck.
    Becca
    Oregon
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Well, better late than never I guess! I'm only 30 pages behind! :) I'll try to read a few at a time as I get time, but work is so crazy busy lately that when I get home I don't even want to turn on my laptop to read my email, look at my Facebook messages or do anything online! So, it'll probably take me until May to catch up on the news.

I'm going with my husband tonight to look at a treadmill that we found on craigslist. Looks really nice. I'm a little concerned because my knees still hurt after the knee scopes and I don't think they should anymore. So treadmill may not be my best option. But I really like treadmills so I guess we'll see. I might have to do 20 minutes in the morning and 20 at night for a while or something. When it gets warmer here in Wisconsin, I will be able to ride my bike. Hoping to get it out this weekend. Supposed to get up to 68 on Sunday. JOY & RAPTURE!

Getting stir crazy. Want to plant a garden and get outside a little. I love my job but don't like that i'm salary and end up working so many hours all the time. I wish I were independently wealthy... :wink:

Well, have a great day everyone. I'll try to do some reading and catching up and will try to check in daily from now on. I've just been such a slacker lately with everything except work!

Tracie in WI

April Goals:
    • 30 minutes activity x5/week
    • Weigh less than I do today
    • Continue to stay away from added sugars
    • Be patient and kind to others
    • Be grateful for each and every day and write it in my gratitude journal.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Miriam very well said. I think it a good reminder that with any illness finding the things that work for you besides or in addition to medication is the way to healing. Thank you for being such a strong voice for the mentally ill. :heart: Margaret
  • gluten2012
    gluten2012 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi gals. I'm over 50 for sure....I'm 67.
    And still at it. I lost 50 pounds, put back on 9 since November.
    My April goals are:
  • theresacan1
    theresacan1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi All: Thank you for being so welcoming! A little about me; I am from the Chicagoland area, divorced, have a couple of grown wonderful sons. The oldest one is a writer and the youngest will be graduating from law school next month. I am currently unemployed but looking. I love to photograph, trying to learn to knit, and now that I have the time cook. Healthy cooking is a challenge for me, I want to add butter and wine to everything - for taste :wink: . Oh and please just call me T. It was a nickname I got at a job I loved and it just stuck.

So far I am sticking to my goals. Fingers cross I can add exercise next week. I have a lot of weight to loose, so I will have a lot of time to add to my goals.

T
  • gluten2012
    gluten2012 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Where are my goals I entered?
    Well, most important is to lose 2.5 pounds this month.
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    57wnd06snhvd.jpg

Dear All,
    This is my favorite Moche gold vase. It looks as if it was done by Picasso. I love how an eye is shared on each side of the face. It is located in the museum of the Peruvian National Bank. I have found that the national banks in many countries have wonderful museums and the collections are far more than numismatic artifacts, although there are certainly many of those.

44lnne7xuihm.jpg

This is a Quipu - the ancient bookkeeping system developed by the indigenous peoples. The conquistadors destroyed them so few exist. As fabric, they are quite fragile.

Speaking of Conquistadores- this is Pizaro's grave in the cathedral in Lima. The guides in the museum refer to his assignation as martyrdom although he was killed by the son of a Spanish rival. There are mosaics on the wall that celebrate his subjugation of the native Peruvians.

ef1eff3nknmc.jpg

This is what happened to some of the gold plundered by the Spanish - one of the chapels in the cathedral in Lima.

prnmbnd66v1t.jpg

This is probably one of the most famous pieces in Peru- contained in the Larco museum. It is a Chimu chief buried in Chan Chan.
    esnrwz2kjopq.jpg

We were lucky enough to be able to go into the storerooms where all the ceramics are stored, any one of which could have been the centerpiece of a museum display.

My very favorite part of indigenous culture were the cities and temples and tombs and the incredible Moche and Chimu ceramics. I will go through those pictures and post the best.

CJ
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Beth, as I was sitting in my hot tub doing my workout this morning, I was thinking about you and your son. When you say the treatments don't work, I was wondering what your definition of a treatment working is. Medication does not alleviate ALL of the symptoms. It only lessens them to a manageable level. The person, like me, that has a severe mental illness, must do a lot of other things to manage life with a severe mental illness. Someone who has schizophrenia or mania has to learn how to ignore the voices/ sounds. They don't go away entirely, they just are diminished with medication. Someone who is having paranoid thoughts has to learn to use cognitive therapy (changing your thinking) or learn how to ignore/ manage the voices or even to check with others about if their reaction is out of line or not. At this point I am reminded of the man in northern Iowa who talked back to his voices, aloud, and kept getting picked up by the police and put in the hospital since it scared others. He managed the voices, not by stopping his talking back to them (arguing with them that they were wrong) but by holding a cell phone to his ear when he talked back to them so people thought he was just having an argument on the phone!

People with depression, like me, learn how important daily exercise, eating right, sunlight, cognitive therapy (changing our thinking), not isolating, and other things are to our well being. Medication does not "cure" depression. It just gives one the ability to use other tactics to manage life. That is why a wellness recovery plan is so important. There are things one has to do every single day to stay well. (Avoiding alcohol and street drugs is probably the most important.)

Peer support (people like me helping others, since I have been trained in listening, etc.) can be very helpful. The Depressive Bipolar Support Alliance is a good source of peer support through their support groups and literature.

Sometimes people have to make a major life change to minimize stress, which makes symptoms worse. That is why my oldest sister went from negotiating contracts for the aerospace industry (big bucks) to negotiating contracts for academia WITH the aerospace industry (much less money but also a more relaxed work environment since the focus was on learning, not making money for shareholders). Throughout my career, I intentionally did not seek out supervisory roles, or management roles, since there was more stress in those roles. So I worked in direct care where there was less stress, but also far less money. I changed my standards for housework and other things, giving myself permission to be less than perfectly tidy since that was additional stress I did not need. Others go to minimizing possessions to lessen the stress of housework.

I don't know your son's situation, and if any of this applies. It was just my thoughts as I was working out in my hot tub. The mental health system will NOT tell clients these things. They have to be learned from peers. The system makes more money if you stay sick. If you figure out how to take care of yourself, and get stable on meds, you can do what I do- get a primary care doc to prescribe my meds and avoid the mental health system completely. So they really are not invested in wellness, and even worse, many of the people working in the mental health system do not believe that anyone can actually get better. That belief is passed on to clients through subtle means, so that the clients do not get better. This paragraph sounds paranoid but there is research that substantiates what I say.

Miriam ... You have given me much to think about. Thank you. As for your last paragraph ... I have heard more than once from mental health practitioners that we will probably never see our son well .. He of course has heard this also.

Beth