Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Options

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Wow. Anyone who completes a marathon and beyond is not the definition of giving half effort in my book. I should have yelled REPUGNANT at the people I saw running last week because they were in the back of the pack. What was I thinking.

What you do will never matter to any of those runners or many of the people you are trying to get to accept obesity. If the people pushing this would accept themselves rather than asking for it, they might understand and be better for it.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Wow. Anyone who completes a marathon and beyond is not the definition of giving half effort in my book. I should have yelled REPUGNANT at the people I saw running last week because they were in the back of the pack. What was I thinking.

What you do will never matter

Sorry you feel that way and feel the need to exert your control to tell others they will never matter. But then again, I stopped caring that others think that I do or what I am won't matter a long time ago.

Then why worry about asking others for acceptance?
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    How do I know an obese person or a malnurished person is unhealthy? Is that a real question?

Yes, it is definitely a real question

I base that on the literally millions of studies done on the subject which have reached that conclusion.

I must confess, I judge people who use the word "literally" when they mean "figuratively".

But I do realize that it's wrong of me to do so.

There are literally millions of studies on weight.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    RobD520 wrote: »
    RobD520 wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »
    ubermofish wrote: »
    Obese people cannot be healthy. But people shouldn't be shamed or bullied for it.

Why not? Particularly at the lower levels of obesity (class I obesity) there isn't a very significant impact on health. Being normal weight but sedentary shortens your life expectancy by more than being class I obese but moderately active. An active, nonsmoking class I obese person can easily be well above the population average in terms of health.

What is true is that all other factors being equal, an obese person would be healthier if they reduced their weight. That doesn't mean obese people can't be healthy.

Obesity by definition is unhealthy.

No, it is not "by definition". Learn what "by definition" means before you use it next time.

Yes it is.

You clearly have no idea what "by definition" means, Grow up, read a book or two, and then come back.

I dont know what your problem is a** hole. Obesity is a state of being so overweight that it adversely affects health.

Obesity isn't defined as the weight at which you experience weight-related problems, it's clinically defined as any individual with a BMI above 30. Statistically speaking, most obese individuals are at higher risk for metabolic and cardiovascular health problems, but that's a risk, not a guarantee - not all of those obese individuals actually experience a negative health impact even though they have a higher risk.

And about 30% of the obese aren't even at higher risk compared to the non-obese - the so-called metabolically healthy obese. Those individuals don't have any elevated risk of disease as a result of obesity.

Do you think a BMI of 30 was chosen at random? Or do you think maybe just maybe it's based on the implications to health?