Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Options

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about body image issues (my own and society's in general) and I learned about something called the Fat Acceptance Movement. The Healthy at Any Size Movement is related to this as well. I am curious what people's thoughts on this are.

Personally I am of two minds about it. I have never been clinically overweight but I definitely flirted with the normal-overweight bmi boundary at one point. I have had body image issues since I was a teenager and three of my immediate family members have suffered from anorexia. So I know the toll that negative body image can have on a person. Everyone should love themselves regardless of their size. And fat-shaming should not be tolerated. However, I agree with a lot of the points made in this blog post "6 Things I Don't Understand About the Fat Acceptance Movement". At a certain point does it really demonstrate self-love to give up on weight loss? What are your thoughts?

http://thoughtcatalog.com/carolyn-hall/2014/04/6-things-i-dont-understand-about-the-fat-acceptance-movement/

I've only really had one experience, and that was on another forum. I got into a very heated debate with someone who was really into the movement and she was very overweight. She was coming at it from how society treats certain people, and how she's proud to be the weight she was at and she was perfectly fine/healthy. I was coming into the conversation as someone who used to be overweight and was now thin. Right off the bat, that didn't go over to well with her :p As our back and forth proceeded I kept bringing up the health aspect of the whole thing, and she kept insisting that she was healthy and her weight was not a negative in any way. Finally, I suggested we both post our latest blood panel results (I was willing to post my before weight loss ones, as well as my current ones). She kept deflecting and then finally admitted she hadn't been to the doctor in years/hadn't had blood work done.

I then shared my own story, of being overweight and totally happy with my life/weight. I seriously didn't care that I was overweight. And I didn't have any out of the normal health issues/symptoms. If you had asked me the day before I had unplanned/emergency blood work done, I would have sworn up and down that I was overweight and perfectly healthy. What I didn't know is that I had a glucose number in the pre-diabetes range. The CDC estimates that 90% of people who have pre-diabetes don't know they have it. And one of the biggest risk factors is being overweight.

I thought I was healthy. I felt fine. I was actually sick and on my way to having a life altering disease that kills a lot of people. After I told her this the other person left the conversation. The whole encounter was really sad and its left a really bad impression on me about the fat acceptance movement.

You gave her the attention she was craving. Just as I'm making the same mistake here. Some people need help and will never get it. It's tragic, but some people are just wired to slowly kill themselves. I've seen it happen too many times to not recognize it. There was a time when it made me very sad and angry. Now, I guess it depends on whether I know the person and am forced to watch it happen in slow motion. Not everyone can be helped. It's part of this very complicated struggle called life. I just don't have to celebrate it.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    eileen0515 wrote: »
    WakkoW wrote: »
    eileen0515 wrote: »
    I enjoy running. I love putting music on and being out in the fresh air totally in my own world. I have never ran a race and have no desire to do so. Running gets my heart rate up and burns calories. I run in my neighborhood, same distance and same time. Why do I have to beat my time? if I'm a normal weight and I'm running for cardio and stress relief am I suddenly unhealthy or a failure because I'm not getting faster?

No, nothing wrong with it (I said so myself prior). However, you're hardly in a position to be lauded for it.

Who are you to say whether she should be lauded or not. Who made you the decider?

Why should someone be praised for simply doing an activity they enjoy? I enjoy floating down a lazy river in an inner tube with a six pack. I don't expect a trophy for it.
    Running the neighborhood is hardly the same as floating down the river with a six pack.

For myself, it's not all that different. A 3 mile jaunt through the neighborhood is actually relaxing, and enjoyable.

I don't need to get attention every time I do it, though.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I think everyone who finishes a marathon gets accolades and a medal....because it's a pretty amazing accomplishment.

Well I guess unless you do it while being overweight or obese...then you are someone who should be made fun of or told how not good enough you are.

Everyone that can finish a marathon deserves respect, but I wouldn't call "amazing" a PB of 6:14...