WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,746 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~ didn't get out of work until 6:20 tonight, took the boys for a walk and they ate.. now I am just chillaxin... Tom bless him is still driving. he left at 3 this morning, he has taking a few breaks...
    I got a call from Maryanne and I will be taking Margaret to the Dr tomorrow... so have to be an hr away from here at 1:30 , so I will be up and out early getting stuff done
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    D - in cold damp Maryland~ Six children is a handful, but most are molded already so that's good :-) I have 3 sons, the youngest is 17 too, but he is a Junior, (put him thru kindergarten twice). He is signing up for the Navy come June though, so we are excited about that. Hoping that the nearby Marine recruiting office will let him PT (physical Training) with them, so he can get pumped up for boot camp after he graduates. There is no Navy office nearby so...I am sure the jar-heads will take him and make him run with them over the summer...
    That is cool that your senior does lacrosse'. It's not a sport offered out here in rural Oregon.

We would never hate you or judge you about how you do things, or eat....we are here for support and you can throw all your mental baggage on the white sides of this thread (mentally). For me in my weight loss I need to respect my self more, and not just settle for whatever I grab to eat. To take the time to chop (and not my tip of my finger like last week) and organize my food is a form of respecting myself. To look around my kitchen and hunt and gather takes time too. My needs change, and I need to listen.

Not too much info....we are an open book on here:-)
    Becca
    Oregon
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn, cello is the preferred instrument in my extended family. My mother played it and was good enough to play in the Nashville Symphony when we lived there. I played it from 5 until high school and was forced by circumstances out of my control to quit then. My oldest sister and her husband have both dabbled in it (she is a concert level pianist) and my niece and namesake plays it. I tried playing it again a few years ago at my sister's house, but it was too painful with my bad right shoulder (torn rotator cuff and separated shoulder) and the arthritis in my hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders. I cried, since I had always hoped to be able to get back to it after my kids all left home.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies: Welcome to the newbies, come join us often. Cool cloudy day today. Our neighbor came down with his John Deere and cleared our bank out front. He will be back later to drag our riding arena. When we moved in here there were about 6-7 feet of blackberries and brush on the bank clear up over the roof of the shelter in our front pasture and the riding arena was choked by waist-high weeds. This is the third time now that he has helped us out and things look much better, we can actually see the shelter now from the road!

Allison - I think Margaret's advice for you was excellent.

Penny - I am with you, sleeping in. I cannot imagine getting up at 3:30.

I think I will opt out on Naked Gardening, too many prickly things in my neck of the woods. LOL

Becca - You may have gained a little but you know how to lose it again. Keep truckin' woman!

Take care all, especially those in the path of storms, Sue in WA
  • auroranae
    auroranae Posts: 25 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Becca-
    Thanks for the kind words.
    Xander is very good and has set records for his school this year.there have been several national websites that have posted about him and my daughter Marina's boyfriend- aka baby daddy- who is on the same team with Xander and also about to graduate. Xander is going to a college in NC on academic and athletic scholarships to play lacrosse next year but wants to join the navy after college. My dad was Navy and we live 20 minutes from the Naval Academy so Navy is in our blood- kudos to your son!
    Marina played lacrosse and went to college on scholarships to play too, but found out she was pregnant during her first semester so came home and is in school at the college here. It is a growing sport in the last 15 years for youth which is weird since we live only minutes from Johns Hopkins where college lacrosse started in the late 1800s.would have thought it would have been more popular long ago except that it is expensive to get the equipment needed.
    My oldest is 35 and married with 2 kids and is about to move into her MIL house so she and my SIL can help his mom with the house. My oldest son is 27 next week and he lives about 2 hrs away near the beach. My 31 and 18yo daughter and 20 and 17 yo sons still live at home... Soon Lindsay 31 is hoping to buy her own house. That will make eating better easier as she is a phenomenal baker! She is a chemist and she says that baking is all about chemistry... She must be right because her brownies are to die for!

I work part time nights as a pediatric private nurse with terminally chronically ill children in their homes so I have lots of time in the day to be active and plan meals etc. Not that I always do, sometimes I'd rather watch dvrd TV shows and crochet or knit:) Hubby works from home so the house is always full and someone is always in the kitchen cooking something.We have a pool in our yard so that keeps me away from all the food being made during the summer and very active as I love to run and do yoga in the pool. Hopefully the weather will warm up soon so I can get back to it.

Dawn-in ever cloudy Maryland
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,956 Member
    Options
    smiley-music002.gif I started playing violin in 4th grade and continued through high school where I played in the orchestra. I studied ballet from grade four through grade eight. I wanted to play in a marching band, so I added flute and piccolo in grade eleven and played in the marching band along with orchestra. Then I went to a college that had no marching band. I tried studying piano with the idea that I'd be able to play for my students when I taught elementary school but never got comfortable with it. I learned to play enough guitar chords to accompany my students singing simple songs. It wasn't until I retired at age 58 and found line dancing that I finally found the way I wanted to enjoy music. :)
    194904olsgis3xqe.gif Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Dawn - Which college in NC?

Becca - Quit beating up on yourself!

I received a callback from the orthopedist's office today. Evidently, it is not unusual to have a random flare up and, if it still hurts on Monday, I'm to call back. It is better than now than it was this past Monday, so I hope it finishes going away on its own! I have most of my range of motion back which is a huge relief.

I was approached again at my second job with a firm "request" that I change my hours. I will talk with the pastor at job #1 and then potentially offer a small compromise. I refuse to mess up a job with twice the hours that pays more and offers paid leave for a job I don't even like! Sometimes, even at my advanced age, it still surprises me how dense people can be.

I am getting more and more frustrated with sharing two cars between three people. It has been six months since his accident and the boy child still has not found a replacement vehicle! He is required to have one for work this summer so he HAS to get moving. Both his grandmother and I are being very inconvenienced by his lack of action

I really wanted to go see my parents this weekend but Andrew is working sound, etc. for a two night production at church In theory, he could ride his bike but I am so uneasy about him riding after dark that I will forego the trip. If I don't go this weekend, it will be June and I haven't been up there since Christmas. :disappointed:

I'm going to wind down for sleep now. Hope the storms stay quiet!

:heart: Carol in NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,366 Member
    Options
    Went to the water aerobics class today. I tell you, for the last two weeks I haven't been able to be with others for exercise (I was counting so didn't get to the extremepump class and one week was the Newcomer general meeting then the next week the gal who just became president couldn't make the meeting on the last Wed so she asked if we could move it up a week <remember, I wasn't going to the extremepump class either>). I know that Vince didn't mind not having to go out. But today I'm really looking forward to getting out with people.

The plan for tomorrow is to do a Booya Fitness Upper Body, Arms, Legs and Butt DVD.

Heather - I just heard that only 30% of the London Underground is really underground. I found that interesting.

The only problem I find with prelogging early in the day is that sometimes I forget that I logged something! If I prelog early in the day, I usually have to go back and review my diary before I lose it out just to be sure that I haven't logged something twice (that's been known to happen)

Larisa - invite your friend! We'd absolutely love to have her. she can be the "baby" of the group....lol What kind of resistance training did you do? Used dumbbells or resistance bands? good for you with such a strong lead in your age bracket at the gym. You know, that'll probably also be incentive for younger people. You rock!

Anne - I have this crochet bolero-type thing that I can wear over the top of a dress. If you feel the back is too low, maybe you can get something like that? In the deep water we many times do cardio where we do laps to the shallow end (different ways, on a noodle then using your feet like a skateboard, wide stomp, high knees, cross country skiing, other stuff like that. Then sometimes we do intervals where you do one thing, like say a jumping jack, slowly for a set period of time, maybe 30 seconds, then faster for the next 30, then as fast as you can go for the next 30.). We also use the weights in there while moving our legs in different ways. Check it out

maura - welcome. There are quite a few here (me included) who are on maintenance, too.

Joyce - Vince likes his Fox, too. In some ways, I get sick of it. But I don't say anything, that's such a minor thing. Naked gardening -- I don't think so

Alison - I'm so sorry you're hurt. If you don't care for SIL's mother, who will????

KJ - I couldn't sleep today, either. Got up at 4, went back to bed, then 5:30. I've got most of the items I need to make for dinners next week. I especially love the feel of the resistance of the water on my skin. Unfortunately, it also reminds me how much flab I have

penny - I just absolutely love your pics

Alison - could it be that your SIL doesn't realize just how much what she said hurt you? Maybe you need to tell her

Michelle - welcome! The Shenandoah Valley is really pretty. My cousin lives in Broadway. I cleaned some of the pollen off the things on our porch, but I know it'll be right back asap

Have a question for all cooks out there: I have a recipe for these quiches. The recipe calls for tart shells. I don't remember seeing them in the stores here. Would using filo cups also work. The ingredients in the quiche are eggs, cream cheese, milk, pesto, baking mix, salt and pepper

Welcome everyone new! Keep coming back for lots and lots of support

katla - even if the hotel supplies a breakfast. I usually take my own anyway and maybe have some milk or egg white (if they have them) there

Claire - you kow, I talked Vince into donating this file cabinet and said to him "why don't we look for a table to go on the side of the bed?" Well, we didn't find a table but he saw this painting. He couldn't get over the fact that it was only $20.

pip - karen needs a boot...lol

Well, the saga of the pool pump (I hope ) will soon be coming to an end. Vince called the pool store and they said that they were having trouble getting in touch with Hayward (mfgr of pump) and since we're the consumer, maybe we'd have better luck. I think the translation is really "this isn't of significant importance to us". Well, Vince called Hayward, didn't get thru so he sent an email. In it he mentioned how it's been months and now our pool is getting green. whenever someone asks about the pool we just have to tell them that we're waiting for Hayward. In the end, they sent Vince an email saying that they'd overnight a new pump to the pool store. So we shall see when they get it. I told Vince that he should send the store a copy of the email, I think he just called to tell them they were going to get it.

D in MD - I have those days, too. Just don't have the time or desire to eat. Unfortunately, I haven't had many of those days lately

Stay safe everyone in the path of the storms.

Michele in NC
  • Pollance
    Pollance Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies! Tonight I BBQ'd for the first time this spring! Somehow chicken breast just tastes better cooked on the grill.
    Good news! The phlox survived the cold and were happily soaking up the sun this afternoon.

Becca, don't beat yourself up. The best of us have set backs. I must have gained and lost those same 5 pounds at least 6 times last year. You'll get yourself over that hump.

Heather, Bea is soooo adorable! and congrats on the pounds from BT!

Penny, love your wonderful pictures!

Allie, Margaret's advice to you was spot on! Even if the person has been dealing with a lot (aren't we all??), it doesn't give her permission to attack you. An apology is a step in the right direction, but she really needs to learn that type of behavior is not acceptable.

I definitely need to abstain from naked gardening day...my poor neighbors would never get over the trauma of seeing me!

Looking for words of wisdom from the group: I've been thinking about it for a while, and I think I'm going to try online dating since I don't meet single males anywhere, and none of my friends know any either. It would just be nice to have a male someone to go for dinner with, or talk to sometimes. It's been 8 years since my divorce, so I think it's time . Does anyone have any advice regarding which site(s) are better? Also, any advice about writing my profile, greeting line etc? The articles on the internet make it sound so intimidating just to write it! Thanks!

Stay safe everyone
    Nikki from just outside Boston
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,606 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,606 Member
    Options
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/715D5WbkxYL._UX695_.jpg
    Ordered some new monkey feet! Aren't they purdy??
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi and good night
    4737.gif

Kimses in MA (presently in PA)
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I confess I did skim over posts since mine last night. Sorry ladies. I do love all of you and think of you all the time. I am sure that my family gets tired of me talking about all of you.

About the naked gardening day. It was on my Facebook page in the trending section so I am sure lots of college students saw it. I will not be participating!!!!

I like Pandora. I have never tried Spotify. When I told my daughter that I helped my brother set pandora on his phone she said I should have set up Spotify. I have no idea really what it is.

Yes, we have had a lot of bad weather today!I am listening to the 10 PM news and they said that there were numerous tornados in western Kentucky. We had an F1 yesterday here in town but it was on the north side of town and I live on the east side. Our local weather man, well my favorite, told us that the storms that were in Kentucky would be hitting us at 5:15 so I made sure I went to church a little early. It stormed real bad while we were there but we were in the basement.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Annr
    Options
    Joyce, Indiana~Aw Joyce just give me a semi-private garden and you know what would happen!!!! I had a tee-shirt once that read "Garden Naked....It Puts Sun On Your Cheeks!" hahaha! It was kind of embarrassing to wear though....I mean if you want to garden naked, why the shirt then??
    Becca
    nude under my clothes always
    but in cold Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    Nikki from just outside Boston~ I know we are our worst critics....Did have a fantastic dinner though, of pasta, and didn't even smear the last slice of french bread in the leftover sauce like I normally do. Proud little moments of perseverance! Thanks for your wise words though!
    Becca
    typing one handed still...my finger is taking forever to heal!
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    Carol in NC~ But I am such a PRO at beating myself up.....Thanks for putting me straight.
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    Dawn-in ever cloudy Maryland~ My youngest son was thinking of going officer, (so that his older brothers would ALWAYS have to salute him) but it going into the Nuclear Engineering field. He is my scary smart kid, and even though we have told him there is A LOT of testing and constant re-qualifying in that field, he said he is used to taking tests. (Yeah, keep saying that son). I never made girls, (didn't get the manual) so it was just sons for us.

We are retired presently, husband rec'd a liver transplant in 2014, so we are just taking it easy. We aren't rich, but I would rather be poor with him, than at a job and worrying about him, and not appreciating him. So we lead quite the simple life.

Becca
    Oregon
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    CJ: My new jacket is a fairly light shade of turquoise. :flowerforyou:

Sue: I'm opting out of naked gardening, too. :embarassed: I have too many close neighbors. :laugh:

This has been a quiet day and I feel tired. I think I'll take myself to bed and get some rest. I'm not sure what I'm resting from because I haven't done much, but I am at a low energy time and rest is the best way to fix it.

Have a great day.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • Annr
    Options
    Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon~ Funny story....when we used to live in Vacaville (Northern California area) we had a cute older couple. There were no two story homes next to us, so I would do my thing in the back yard. My neighbor Nadine would go out in her back yard, because they had a garden. She would maybe hear my music going and would yell over..."Rebecca are you nude over there?" I would reply as quiet as I could, "Nadine, why yes I am"....(thanks for telling everyone in a megaphone kind of voice...) They were a sweet couple though....and grew GREAT tomatoes!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »

Larisa - invite your friend! We'd absolutely love to have her. she can be the "baby" of the group....lol What kind of resistance training did you do? Used dumbbells or resistance bands? good for you with such a strong lead in your age bracket at the gym. You know, that'll probably also be incentive for younger people. You rock!
    Michele in NC

Thanks! She's planning to join the May thread when I send her the URL. :smile:

I use dumbbells, barbells, cable machines, resistance bands, kettlebells, and lately,TRX.
    Basically if it involves enough effort and sweat, I'll give it a shot. :sweat_smile:

I don't know that I can take much credit for the "rocking"; I'm physically young for my age (which is mostly genetic), and discovered that I really enjoyed lifting heavy things, when I was still a teenager. That said, I'm kind of excited at maybe winning a contest! It *should* be my only chance...I got out of shape having all those surgeries...and once I "finish" getting back into shape, I plan to stay that way. I can't win any transformation challenges if I'm already my after picture :wink: :smile:
    My next shot at something this exciting is when I'm finally a good enough swimmer to compete, and that could be years....Senior Games by the time I'm sixty!! heehee Yes, I'm silly. but it keeps me going :blush:

Larisa in Seattle