Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

If it's all CICO - why can't you outrun a bad diet?

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    No one that didn't want to be confused by Christine's comment was confused by it... :*

No one claimed to be confused by it.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    parfia wrote: »
    This is purely for debate purposes - if weight loss is purely calories in and calories out, why can't you 'outrun a bad diet' - surely if you run enough to burn off the calories of a bad dietary intake, you can for all intents and purposes outrun a bad diet?

If a person is in a caloric deficit surely they will lose irrespective of what their food intake is.

begin.....
    Because most people don't have 4-6 hours a day to devote to running and our bodies aren't meant to handle that much punishment. Toenail clipper manufacturers would go out of business and nail polish companies would see a 50% decrease in sales almost overnight. Don't even start me on the chafing... Also even if everyone did have the time, maaaybe 0.005% of the population would have the willpower to even attempt 30+ miles daily.

30 miles daily? So I can eat a total of 4500 to 5000+ calories per day? Really???
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Ok what if you eat at maintenance everyday, but burn off 500 calories through exercise to lose 1lb a week. Would this be classed as outrunning a "bad" diet?
    It wouldn't be a bad diet if you were at maintenance.

Huh?

How is it only okay at maintenance?

It would actually be a terrible diet at maintenance....because it would be 500 daily calories too little.

How would it be 500 calories too little if you were maintaining? If we are talking about "outrunning a bad diet", wouldn't you have to start with a bad diet? I would say a diet at maintenance is at least neutral, if not desired.

ETA: To be clear, I am of the camp that understands the saying to be an expression of an idea vs an actual factual statement.

Because maintenance minus 500 calories = 1 pound lost per week. Thus, if the goal is maintenance, the goal is not met because weight is lost and not maintained.

The diet is the starting point.
    if you eat at maintenance everyday, but burn off 500 calories through exercise to lose 1lb a week. Would this be classed as outrunning a "bad" diet?
    My answer is that it would not be outrunning a bad diet because the diet wasn't bad to begin with.

If her question was:
    if you eat at 1000 calories above maintenance everyday, but burn off 1500 calories through exercise to lose 1lb a week. Would this be classed as outrunning a "bad" diet?
    my answer would be "Yes, probably".

ETA: There's some ambiguity as to what constitutes a bad diet, hence the "probably".

My question was centred around calories, not nutrients.

• Christine_72
    Options
    Oh boy I just read page 8... I don't want to maintain my weight, I still want to lose roughly 1lb a week. So I chose my maintenance calories (at sedentary), and will endevour to burn 500 calories per day through exercise to achieve that weight loss.

Yeah I did word it incorrectly (as usual :confused: )
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Oh boy I just read page 8... I don't want to maintain my weight, I still want to lose roughly 1lb a week. So I chose my maintenance calories (at sedentary), and will endevour to burn 500 calories per day through exercise to achieve that weight loss.

it was pretty clear what you meant, but this is MFP, you should know it :smile:
  • Christine_72
    Options

Haha ok. I know exactly what I'm talking about, but never know if everyone else does :tongue:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Yep
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    parfia wrote: »
    This is purely for debate purposes - if weight loss is purely calories in and calories out, why can't you 'outrun a bad diet' - surely if you run enough to burn off the calories of a bad dietary intake, you can for all intents and purposes outrun a bad diet?

If a person is in a caloric deficit surely they will lose irrespective of what their food intake is.

begin.....
    Because most people don't have 4-6 hours a day to devote to running and our bodies aren't meant to handle that much punishment. Toenail clipper manufacturers would go out of business and nail polish companies would see a 50% decrease in sales almost overnight. Don't even start me on the chafing... Also even if everyone did have the time, maaaybe 0.005% of the population would have the willpower to even attempt 30+ miles daily.

30 miles daily? So I can eat a total of 4500 to 5000+ calories per day? Really???

Jason Romero currently logs about 45 miles a day average.
    Oh, yeah, he does that while being legally blind.

http://www.denverpost.com/running/ci_29662436/blind-faith

His strava:
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/13823509
    His website:
    http://www.visionrunusa.com

He's clearly burning a lot of calories. A LOT. (eating about 200 Cals per hr while running plus meals)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Your comment actually made sense.

It was a subsequent reply to it that didn't that caused the problem.
  • auddii
    Options

^This.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Yup
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options

Ok, we'll go back there then:
    Ok what if you eat at maintenance everyday, but burn off 500 calories through exercise to lose 1lb a week. Would this be classed as outrunning a "bad" diet?

Huh?

It would actually be a terrible diet at maintenance....because it would be 500 daily calories too little.

If it is 500 too little then, it is no longer at maintenance.

My answer was not saying it is "only okay at maintenance", it was saying:

To Christine:
    You're saying that you are eating at maintenance which wouldn't be considered a bad diet.

the term "at maintenance" is not a goal.
  • moe0303
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Huh?

How would it be 500 calories too little if you were maintaining? If we are talking about "outrunning a bad diet", wouldn't you have to start with a bad diet? I would say a diet at maintenance is at least neutral, if not desired.

ETA: To be clear, I am of the camp that understands the saying to be an expression of an idea vs an actual factual statement.

Because maintenance minus 500 calories = 1 pound lost per week. Thus, if the goal is maintenance, the goal is not met because weight is lost and not maintained.

The diet is the starting point.
    if you eat at maintenance everyday, but burn off 500 calories through exercise to lose 1lb a week. Would this be classed as outrunning a "bad" diet?
    My answer is that it would not be outrunning a bad diet because the diet wasn't bad to begin with.

If her question was:
    if you eat at 1000 calories above maintenance everyday, but burn off 1500 calories through exercise to lose 1lb a week. Would this be classed as outrunning a "bad" diet?
    my answer would be "Yes, probably".

ETA: There's some ambiguity as to what constitutes a bad diet, hence the "probably".

My question was centred around calories, not nutrients.

My reply was centered around calories, not nutrients.
  • moe0303
    Options

Huh?

Also, the question was "Would this be classed as outrunning a "bad" diet?". Why would you assume my answer was addressing whether or not it is ok?
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    *drops wine glass and finds another cocktail party*
  • auddii
    Options

Huh?

Also, the question was "Would this be classed as outrunning a "bad" diet?". Why would you assume my answer was addressing whether or not it is ok?

Because what she meant was "I eat at maintenance level not including exercise, then I exercise enough to burn 500 calories each day. Does that count as outrunning a bad diet?"

She is actually eating at a deficit, but from her perspective, the deficit comes from increasing activity, not from eating less food.

The answer is yes, that is how you outrun a "bad" diet. But the diet isn't bad, so there's that.
  • moe0303
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Huh?

Because what she meant was "I eat at maintenance level not including exercise, then I exercise enough to burn 500 calories each day. Does that count as outrunning a bad diet?"

She is actually eating at a deficit, but from her perspective, the deficit comes from increasing activity, not from eating less food.

The answer is yes, that is how you outrun a "bad" diet. But the diet isn't bad, so there's that.
    that's my point. If the diet isn't bad, she's not outrunning a bad diet.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm getting dizzy this thread has gone in so many circles...
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    ^Seriously. I didn't even bother trying to keep up with the 500 calorie and maintenance thing.