May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    May 3rd and already 259 posts!

I'm going to try to stop by more often this month. I know I can't keep up with everyone, not at this volume of posting, but I'll do what I can.

My marathon training was going great, with two very strong 20 mile runs, then I made the mistake of playing basketball with my son the day after my second 20 miler. The result was a nasty Achilles strain which knocked me out of a 25k trail race and put a serious damper on my marathon training. I stopped running for a week, ran a few times, then stopped again when the progress wasn't going as well as I'd hoped. I only ran 21 miles in 3 weeks span. It finally dawned on me to do something else to keep my cardio up so last week I signed up for lap swimming, though I suck at swimming. I'm getting a good workout though, and hope to continue.

I started running again Friday with 3.8 miles on Friday, 7.9 on Saturday, and a very hilly 4.4 trail run on Sunday. All signs are good, meaning no pain to speak of though I do continue to have some swelling on the Achilles.

My plan for the next 12 days:

05/03 60 Minute Swim + 3 Miles
    05/04 8.0
    05/05 60 Minute Swim + 3 Miles
    05/06
    05/07 8.5
    05/08 8.5
    05/09
    05/10 Swim + 3 Miles
    05/11 6.0
    05/12
    05/13 2.0
    05/14 26.2 <- Marathon!

Hopefully that will be enough miles without being too much. I'm fairly certain I would have been able to finish the marathon in under 4 hours had it not been for this Achilles strain.

9:10 is the pace for 4 hours. My second 20 mile run averaged 9:26 with the last 6 miles averaging 8:45. I had dreams of 3:50 in my head after that.

I'm not sure what to expect now. 4:30? For now I'm thinking I'll take it easy the first half then increase my pace as pain allows and just see what happens. I'll enjoy the course, enjoy the people, and enjoy the experience.

I'm not setting a mileage goal for May since so much will depend on how my marathon goes. If I come out of it with a re-injured Achilles, I'll quit running for a few weeks until I'm fully healed.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Feel like I could run today, but I can still feel that pesky right hip abductor. So I'm taking an extra rest day in the hopes that tomorrow a run will be wonderful, and in fear that if I run today it will be just like Sunday and I'll be as sore tomorrow as I was yesterday.

May miles stand at 3.11 out of a goal of 150. That might have been too high a goal, given how May is starting out.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    5/1: 26.2 miles (26.5 according to Garmin!)
    5/2: Marathon recovery day
    5/3: Recovery day 2

Quads are still pretty sore, but all the other aches are gone. I should be able to walk pretty normally tomorrow. Hoping to get a couple miles in tomorrow to get my legs moving again. In the mean time, I am editing, editing, editing my darn thesis. With the requirement that I get it bound and turned in five days before my defense, that means I have to have my draft done by Sunday and to the printer Monday at the latest instead of at the end of next week. Can you say *ALL OF THE STRESS*?!?! It helps not at all that no one in my department seems to know much about deadlines or requirements, so I'm having to detective this out on my own while also trying to, you know, finish my thesis. I am ripping my hair out.

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    5/15: Princeton 5k << social event, not racing!
    6/11: Pacers Princeton Halfway Half (Princeton, NJ)
    7/4: a fourth of july race somewhere!
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

I've seen a couple comments about butter today. Do people actually eat butter on bagels? Not a combo I would have put together... Also - I just made some butter last night (about 6 pounds, actually)--and about 9 cups of buttermilk as a side effect. Yum! Too bad I eat low carb, so don't have much use for the buttermilk. Mayhap I should sell it...

I prefer pork roll, egg and cheese on my bagels, but will put butter on them when toasted :smiley:

That's sacrilegious. Pork roll egg and cheese only belongs on a hard roll. :wink:
  • SarahJeanine1
    SarahJeanine1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My goal is 40 miles for the month of May. I'm very new to running so I look forward to increasing each month in the future. =)

May 2 I did 2.5 running miles (so I'm at 2.5 total for May so far).
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    All you folks racing are making me jealous, It's a long haul for me to get to any races.

@MNLittleFinn, I'm not saying you'll find anything close to you, but have you checked out this race calendar:
    http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/Default.aspx

it's the most comprehensive race calendar I've found so far, and it has great filters. It only covers the US, however, so it won't help @juliet3455

Upcoming Races (Registered, Planned & Tentative)

05/14/2016 - Lake Wobegon Marathon - Holdingford, MN
    05/25/2016 - Endless Summer Trail Race Series - Lebanon Hills Regional Park 10K
    06/15/2016 - Endless Summer Trail Race Series - French Regional Park 5K

06/25/2016 - Circle of Life Half Marathon - Lake City, MN (Planned)
    07/04/2016 - Red Wing July 4th 10K - Red Wing, MN (Planned)
    07/13/2016 - Endless Summer Trail Race Series - Lebanon Hills Regional Park 7Mi (Tent.)
    07/20/2016 - Torchlight 5K - Minneapolis, MN
    08/10/2016 - Endless Summer Trail Race Series - Hyland Regional Park 7 Mi (Tent.)
    08/31/2016 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series (4 Mi) - Bloomington, MN
    09/10/2016 - Watermelon Days 5K - Kellogg, MN (Tentative)
    09/14/2016 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series (4 Mi) - Bloomington, MN
    09/24/2016 - Surly Loppet HM - Minneapolis, MN (Tentative)
    09/28/2016 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series (5.5k) - Bloomington, MN
    10/12/2016 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series (5.5k) - Bloomington, MN

10/22/2016 - Surf the Murph 25k, 50k, 50Mi - Savage, MN (Tentative)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I've checked it, and I'm already signed up for one. Most of the closest races are still an hour and a half drive. Might sneak another 5k in, but, I'll admit, with my training schedule for my July HM, I'm OK with 1 race this month and 1 race in June. Looking for an August 10k, so I can have a race or 2 every month through September.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @CariTJR - I am sorry for your loss.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Feel like I could run today, but I can still feel that pesky right hip abductor. So I'm taking an extra rest day in the hopes that tomorrow a run will be wonderful, and in fear that if I run today it will be just like Sunday and I'll be as sore tomorrow as I was yesterday.

May miles stand at 3.11 out of a goal of 150. That might have been too high a goal, given how May is starting out.

Same here. I'm on day 10 no running. Podiatrist tomorrow though. Hoping for some worthwhile insight.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Just reset the "slow" and "fast" pace alerts on my Forerunner to 20 seconds faster/slower than my previous fast/slow paces, since those were the ends of my E pace range and I didn't want to get bugged when my Average pace was still going to be OK. Thinking about turning off the pace alerts all together though and just running and checking the Garmin every once in a while for my current/lap/average pace
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    it's the most comprehensive race calendar I've found so far, and it has great filters. It only covers the US, however, so it won't help @juliet3455
    :'(:s:(

No run today and maybe for the rest of this week unless I get up at 2 am = 2 dark as we are in a spring HEATWAVE. 31C ( 90 F ) here today and that's the forecast for pretty much the whole week. Our seasonal norm is around 18C ( 65 F ) so a nasty one for us. My 8 km ( 5 miles ) Brian Harms Mothers Day memorial race on Sunday Morning promises to be fun.
  • Eileen_05
    Eileen_05 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    5/3 = 3.0 miles
    5/2 = 2.5 miles
    5/1 = 3.5 miles
    9 of 75 complete

exercise.png

• tamishascolyer
    tamishascolyer Posts: 7 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi
  • CChen8520
    CChen8520 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

5/1 25 min spinning, no run
    5/2 3.9 miles
    5/3 4.2 miles
    decided to try a 2run/1rest schedule.
    exercise.png
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    May 03      4.2T     4.2  

exercise.png

I just love this group ... posting my first run for the month and there's already 10 pages of comments.

@kristinegift! Fantastic marathon PR ... you freaking killed that thing. @Ohhim ... great job on the Pittsburgh Marathon! I'm from there but don't know the course ... are the hills terrible?
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    5/01: 6 miles, easy
    5/02: 6 miles, easy
    5/03: Off, rest day + strength training
    Total: 12 miles

I was planning to run this morning, but then decided to sleep in this morning and do some strength training before heading in to the lab for the day. I figured I would just run when I got home for the day, but I forgot that my boyfriend and I were planning to head up to the northside to celebrate his sister's birthday. Didn't get back until after dark so it looks like today turned into an impromptu rest day!

exercise.png

Races I'm registered for:
    05/22 - Chicago Spring 13.1
    05/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
    07/21 - Esprit de She 5K
    09/10 - Magnificent Mile Half Marathon
    09/25 - Chicago Lifetime 5K
    10/09 - Chicago Marathon
    10/30 - Hot Chocolate 5K
    11/27 - Space Coast Half Marathon