May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

I've seen a couple comments about butter today. Do people actually eat butter on bagels? Not a combo I would have put together... Also - I just made some butter last night (about 6 pounds, actually)--and about 9 cups of buttermilk as a side effect. Yum! Too bad I eat low carb, so don't have much use for the buttermilk. Mayhap I should sell it...

I prefer pork roll, egg and cheese on my bagels, but will put butter on them when toasted :smiley:

That's sacrilegious. Pork roll egg and cheese only belongs on a hard roll. :wink:

Oh no you need to try it. Of course not on the crap bagels we have here lol
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Any Goal which is more than not moving is a good Goal !
    30k for me this month
    You're right! That's a great goal!
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    DavidBoge wrote: »
    Do you really want us checking in each day?
    Only if you don't want to get kicked out of the club.
    Now, boys. The only kicking we do is to each other's *kitten*. And to the road - we kick that *kitten* too. :smiley:
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @cariTJR – so sorry to hear about your mother. I hope you and your family are doing ok.
    @lporter229 - thanks for the race recap! So glad you were able to enjoy the atmosphere of the race after your friend got sick.
    @instantmartian - well done on toughing out your race in those miserable conditions! I wonder what caused the swelling in your hands? That seems unusual.
    @Ohhim - thanks for the response re: HR. I may need to do a few marathons to get the data I need to use. For my first marathon, then, I may go by pace and feel. I think I will go out conservatively in the first half, then increase during the second half, if I am feeling good. It's a fairly basic strategy, but I think it will get me over the line :)
    @7lenny7 - welcome back to the thread and good luck with your achilles and the marathon!

16 km midweek longish run today. I got out a bit later (i.e. not at 5 am) and found that I ran faster than I do at 5 am. This seems to be a regular thing. Do other people find themselves slow and flat early in the morning?

May 1 – Rest
    May 2 – 9.34 km
    May 3 – 9.38 km
    May 4 – 16.3 km

Total: 35.02 km / 280 km

Races:
    5 June Rocky River Run 21km
    3 July Gold Coast Marathon

exercise.png

• tamishascolyer
    tamishascolyer Posts: 7 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi, I'm a newbie. My goal for May is to run 100kms
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Got my 3.1 miles done after work. This was my third run since 9 days off to heal my "knee" pain. And the third run that just didn't feel right :( I'm not in pain with the knee. But I feel awkward? Like my gait has changed? I used to feel like I was floating. I hope this works itself out. I do feel achey in other ways. Like my shins and calves burning at different points in the run. Maybe Friday I'll put on some music and try to distract myself from the awkward feeling and find my groove again.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Whew, finally caught up with all the posts :smile:

5/04 - 2.6 miles

Got up early this morning to run before work. I was hoping it wouldn't be as humid today, but it seems to be sticking around. Last year in May it wasn't humid, but this year it is. We are getting more rain too. Not terrible humidity yet, but enough to feel it even though it was 60 degrees and dark outside. Felt good, right IT band giving me some trouble, so will be foam rolling that to try and work it out. :blush:
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    No run today and maybe for the rest of this week unless I get up at 2 am = 2 dark as we are in a spring HEATWAVE. 31C ( 90 F ) here today and that's the forecast for pretty much the whole week. Our seasonal norm is around 18C ( 65 F ) so a nasty one for us. My 8 km ( 5 miles ) Brian Harms Mothers Day memorial race on Sunday Morning promises to be fun.

To put this High Temperature danger in perspective we have the City of Fort McMurray in Northern Alberta hit by a wildfire driven by this heat and wind, the fire is spreading through the residential areas with little hope of stopping it. Complete Evacuation for all 60,000 + residents with the fire jumping back and forth across the highway out of town.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    I am in Dallas this week so I am not sure how much I will be able to check in or to run for that matter!
    @CariTJR - I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my mom many many years ago and I still miss her. We were very close and I think she would be very happy and proud of how far I have come with my running,
    @Stoshew71 - gotta love the Oatmeal!
    @7lenny7 - glad to see you back running
    @juliet3455 - wow! I hope everyone is safe!
    On the bagel topic - I am a cream cheese only on my bagel and even then, very little of it!

I ran 5 miles yesterday but haven't posted it yet... Will post all my mileage when I get home this weekend.
  • Anabbee
    Anabbee Posts: 25 Member
    Options

May 1 No run
    May 2 3km run
    May 3 Sick! Cold!
    May 4 Sick! rest!

Total: Run 3km/ 50 km

Races June 5th Christchurch Airport marathon (10k for me)
    November 19 Queenstown marathon (half for me)
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    First run of the month, had to cut it short to 3 miles because of the heat. Going to have to get up ridiculously early tomorrow to fit in a long run while it's cooler. I hate the weather here in the UK, it goes from one extreme to the other pretty quick. Snow in places last week, heat wave this week :/
  • sleepigrl
    sleepigrl Posts: 53 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @cariTJR – so sorry to hear about your mom. I lost my mom two years ago April and I still miss her. My thoughts are with you and yours.

Had to cut yesterday's run short after taking a tumble. I turned my head to look at a barking dog and apparently tripped on a large rock. I've got some pretty good road rash on my knee and elbow and a few aches & pains but it doesn't seem like any permanent damage, thank goodness. Especially since my first 5K of the year is coming up on Saturday!

Oh, and I like butter on my bagels if they are toasted. Then again, I think I'd have just about anything on a bagel :)

So far this month...

May 1 - 4 miles
    May 3 - 2.25 miles (of 3.1 scheduled)

exercise.png

Planned Races
    May 7th - Wildflower 5K trail run
    July 9th - Jingle in July 5K July @ Santa Claus House / North Pole
    Dec 3 & 4 - San Antonio Rock N Roll 10K & 5K
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @07KatieP13 - I didn't realize it would get hot in UK this early in the year. I had trouble this morning myself. It felt so humid, but my app tells me it was only 77 with 85% humidity... I've run in much worse. I guess it's just a matter of getting my body used to it again.

5/1 - 35 mile cycling
    5/2 - 5 miles + Strength training
    5/3 - 3.5 miles
    5/4 - 5 miles - intervals, sort of. It was so hot, I just didn't seem to have energy.

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    5/1-4 miles
    5/2- Rest
    5/3- 5 miles
    5/4- 3.12 miles

Total: 12.25/100.

Notes on today's run. Today's assignment was rest or 30-40 minutes cross training or running. Of course, I chose running. Did a nice, easy 3.12 miles at a bit too fast of a pace: 10:32/mile. The run felt good, and I am really enjoying running with the sunrise, too bad in a few weeks it will be up already during my run time.

Right foot is a little twitchy, with some pain on the top right near the metatarsal for r my big toe connects to the cuniform. Odd thing is it does not hort when I'm running, only during the heal to toe of walking. Will be keeping an eye on it and decide for tomorrow's workout what to do. Tomorrow's assignment is 45m-1h at E, so I might just go real slow, or go for the short end and only do like 4 miles instead of 5, but that's all dependent on how the foot is feeling.
  • Brolivia3D
    Brolivia3D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    5/1 - Resting from the previous day's 5k race (that was totally not a 5k and I'm still annoyed about)
    5/2 - N/A
    5/3 - 2 miles

Total: 2/25

I mean, gotta start out somewhere, right? It felt good, no more sore foot or hip from my last race, so that's pretty neat.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I got close to my April goals so I will try for it again.
    starting the month with a sore knee and a half on Saturday

May

1-0
    2-stretching
    3-stretching-knee is still sore
    4-yoga tonight

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 12-Great Pi Run 5k 32:17

May 7-Door County Half Marathon
    May 28-29-Global 5k Run Virtual
    May 28-Top Gun Run 5k Virtual
    June 11-Rock n Sole 1/4 Marathon?
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half
    July 20-Cream Puff 5k?
    July 30-National Watermelon Day 5k?

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

I've seen a couple comments about butter today. Do people actually eat butter on bagels? Not a combo I would have put together... Also - I just made some butter last night (about 6 pounds, actually)--and about 9 cups of buttermilk as a side effect. Yum! Too bad I eat low carb, so don't have much use for the buttermilk. Mayhap I should sell it...

I prefer pork roll, egg and cheese on my bagels, but will put butter on them when toasted :smiley:

That's sacrilegious. Pork roll egg and cheese only belongs on a hard roll. :wink:

Oh no you need to try it. Of course not on the crap bagels we have here lol

It's not like we have good hard rolls here either. lol Although, Sprouts probabaly has lose rolls that are the closest thing to what I am used to.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for May
    5/1 REST DAY
    5/2 6.2 miles - 6.2 << Taper and cutback week. 5K race Wednesday morning
    5/3 6.2 miles - 12.4
    5/4 4.4 miles - 16.8 << PEO-AVN 5K Fun Run (was only 2.9 miles; plus 1.5 w/u)

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 2 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25

So we had our Fun Run 5k at work this morning. My Garmin measured only 2.9 miles. The official time was 19:10 which got me 2 in AG and 5 OA. I may go out later and get in 4 easy miles.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Brolivia3D Good job setting an attainable goal. You'll make it then keep on improving!
    @moyer566 Hope that knee starts feeling better for you!
    @Stoshew71 Nice morning running! I got a little confused because that was less mileage than I normally see you put on!
    @asmalworld welcome to the group!