Why is being a stripper bad?

Replies

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Drugs, alcohol, prostitution, organized crime, scum bags, STD's and all the things that go along with those things. Other than that...

I think I have seen elements of that in every job I have had. One can choose to navigate around these typically.
    Rock on if this is your choice.

My brother is a cop....sees it all the time. Hahaha
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Drugs, alcohol, prostitution, organized crime, scum bags, STD's and all the things that go along with those things. Other than that...

I think I have seen elements of that in every job I have had. One can choose to navigate around these typically.
    Rock on if this is your choice.

You'd have to be outright stupid to think most professions have even close to the same level of drugs, alcohol, prostitution, organized crime, scum bags and STD's as "stripping" does.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    Exposing your body for money=*kitten*.

Topless picture of you online to complete strangers = a-ok

Apparently you lost some brain aswell with your hair

'along', the word you are looking for is 'along'.
  • Tonydevolanii
    Tonydevolanii Posts: 658 Member
    hello
    i dont care
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    Exposing your body for money=*kitten*.

Topless picture of you online to complete strangers = a-ok

Apparently you lost some brain aswell with your hair

:trollface:
  • windee52
    windee52 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Is this a serious thread? I'm pretty sure OP is trolling....
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    A lot of people like to see people without any clothes on.

A lot of people like to make money.

This perfectly combines those two things.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    So what I'm hearing, is that being a stripper is not a future career limiting choice. Perhaps just for high public office, then?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Tsartele wrote: »
    I've been wondering why being a stripper is bad because I honestly want to be a stripper. They make really good money and can wear really cute clothes. I see nothing morally wrong with being a stripper unless you have kids... Then you should probably get a better job. What do you think?

Your young enough to be my daughter so let me explain this too you as if I was talking to my daughter. Your young and beautiful but you do not yet have the life experience of someone who is older and who has been around the block a few times. I believe that you are much more valuable than to let yourself be drawn into that world. It is a very dark world filled with many unsavory characters who are looking to only use you and take advantage of you. My of these women, whom I have know personally, have drug habits and end up doing things much worse than stripping .. like prostitution and worse.

Even if it didn't lead to drugs and prostitution why would you want to lower yourself to be someone who is objectified and treated like a piece of meat. Many of these women have lasting emotional and psychological damage from their experiences in strip clubs and bars. They are left feeling empty and broken inside. Some have even been followed after work and raped or even killed. You have to understand the male mind to be able to comprehend what you are opening yourself up to. If a man is paying you to take off your clothes than you are of absolutely no value to him.. you are the lowest form of life around. That means for some that they develop a feeling of possession over you and can demonstrate stalkerish behavior. It can end up being a nightmare that you might not wake up from.

You also should consider your long term future. Stripping is not really a path way to success.. the money will not last forever and what are you going to do when your looks fade ? Everyone ages and nothing stays the same. I would encourage your to goto college and get an education that will help you earn a living for the rest of your life.

You should also think about your future husband or kids and how you might feel if they ever found out that their mom was a stripper. Everything goes on the internet today and once its out there it stays out there.. think about your family today.. your mother and your father.. Have you considered how much you might hurt them if they found out what you are doing ?

Paternalism at its best.
    Didn't we do a mansplaining thread earlier?

"Think of the men!" sheez dude, really?

In a nut shell think of your clientele and how you will be viewed.. think of the danger. If that is wrong I never want to be right !!!

All well and good, but you aren't her father or even have an inkling of what she has or has not as a life experience. All that is just presumption paternalistic BS.

I mean you seem to know many women personally that are strippers, drug addicts and prostitutes. Or so you say. What kind of moral code are you navigating that places you in close personal association but at the same type hypercritical of the self-determination of what and how a young woman positions her body.

Are you truly criticising the profession from the close proximity of experience? That's like a john critiquing the "hooker lifestyle".

Just for the record I have a close personal friend who I grew up with who chose this lifestyle and I visited a few establishments when I was younger. So that is my frame of reference. To be honest I am really shocked that anyone would take issue with someone who was advising her to take the high road. Maybe you would want your daughter, sister or mother to work in one of these places ??? I think not.. but I could be wrong. At 18 years old how much life exp could anyone really have ?? Let alone the maturity to make such decisions. I wish her the best of luck.

I have four daughters.

I don't have an issue with you advising her to not do this. I happen to agree that it is a decision with a bunch of risk that she might or might not be aware of.

Tonality and the "I know better than you" attitude is what I have issue with. The "I went but it isn't ok" attitude.

My two oldest would laugh at you. It most certainly is not something that they would choose for themselves, but they would decide to as adults, fully owning their decisions and not from the shaming viewpoint of future husband material - heck, that attitude would certainly had them choose different careers and self goals - just pick to stay pretty and serviceable for their "future husband's" world view.

It happens that my girls live in cities where burlesque - what the OP calls "classy stripping" - are quite common (and difficult to get into) and, no, not the environments you paint. Paris and Strasbourg have various variety shows of this type, it is reserved mostly for girls that really know how to dance or sing too. If my girls had the skills and wanted to do the, I'd be concerned about their long term careers (but I'm concerned about them always) not about their association with "the male mind", they've got that down.

One of them has some skill in painting and has a class for nudes and has herself posed nude. Not an issue. It is traditionally an environment where, in Paris, it was full of drugs, guys trying to get at the models, etc... Just like modelling. It is likely that your attitude towards stripping is (versus modelling, acting, etc...) that it is seen as "cheap" versus "glamorous" of the other paths.

Your other points? Doesn't even seem like you read her post. She isn't considering this as a career goal.

I obviously know better than you if you would encourage someone to get into a career that has the high probability of being exploited, abusing drugs, rape, unwanted sexual advances and lowering oneself in the social structure for literally no reason. There are other ways to make money that don't involve the risk of self destruction. I would give the exact same advice for someone considering to be a drug mule, or an addict getting involved in the medical field. I am not judgmental of strippers, as if I didn't have God protecting me from myself, knowing me, I'd probably be swinging on a pole right now. I just care about people enough not to encourage them along a path of self destruction.

So you're advising people not to go to universities?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    WraithTDK wrote: »
    I've been wondering why being a stripper is bad

Holy crap, there's a topic I'm not touching on the internet.

"Stripping is bad." - SLUT SHAMING! MISOGYNIST! WOMEN CAN BE SEXUAL TOO!

"I like strippers. Nothing wrong with that." - MISOGYNIST! YOU'RE OBJECTIFYING WOMEN! ALL YOU CARE ABOUT IS THEIR BODIES!

I know a no-win scenario when I see one.

Embrace your misogyny.
  • Ifitfits
    Ifitfits Posts: 46 Member
    The way some of you are answering so seriously :D calm the fak down
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Still on my bucket list to become one. Wahoo!
  • LisaLisaE33
    LisaLisaE33 Posts: 7 Member
    It wouldn't be a choice I'd make for myself but having had friends who were industry, I'll share my concerns and their stories.

Guys don't just want you to strip, often they push for "dates" or become obsessed which has made it very dangerous for them at times. Both were assaulted. Many clubs are fronts for human trafficking rings, not all but quite a few. You're only as successful as the next stripper up, meaning your self esteem is tied into how many tips you can get and when the long legged, big breasted, great rear ended woman comes in and men are willing to wait for her how will you feel? Men will touch whether they are supposed to or not, so you will be pawed and be no more than object like their next fancy car.

The money is great and a rush but strippers have been known to disappear after some high powered individual is caught with them and you will find tons of people on drugs.

There are other ways to make money dancing but the choice is yours I am giving you the truth from experience.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    I honestly think the OP has no clue what she could be getting into. If you want a taste, honestly get a job at Hooters and see how you like being treated like a piece of meat. If you like it and want even more of it, and even more degrading people around you, then maybe stripping is right for you.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I honestly think the OP has no clue what she could be getting into. If you want a taste, honestly get a job at Hooters and see how you like being treated like a piece of meat. If you like it and want even more of it, and even more degrading people around you, then maybe stripping is right for you.

Welp. No judgment here.
    :|
  • golfcartguy69
    golfcartguy69 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2016
    Where you live ill come throw dollars your way
  • Peter_Brady
    Peter_Brady Posts: 3,750 Member
    zWJq0In.png