May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I love the picture of you and your mom at the race.
    @skippygirlsmom Congrats to you and Skip at Steeple Chase. I sent you a PM about a summer running camp.
    @AdrianChr92 That's some wiked hail.
    @9voice9 That's sucky how unorganized the 'glow run' was.
    @louubelle16 I am sorry about your HM experience. That 2:20 is a pretty darn good time despite the hot weather.
    @mls100771 Congrats on your first 10K. Try another but more local and smaller 10K next time.
    Congrats @ROBOTFOOD at your full.
    Congrats @Orphia and a PB, woo-hoo
    Congrats on your first HM @_nikkiwolf_ It seems like the predictor knew better.
    Welcome back @Ch1psNQueso - Glad your collarbone and ribs are better.
    @pearlica Congrats on running your first 10K race.
    @juliet3455 Congrats on your PB
    @5BeautifulDays Good luck on your surgery and will be praying for you, and you will be back. You will miss us.

Welcome to our newcomers in here.

It will get in the 90's and lots of humidity soon enough here. That means if i don't get out by 6 am, I am going to have a rough day running.

As far as race fees, Huntsville area has decent races that are not too expensive. Most of the 5Ks are like $20-30.
    HM's are like $40-60 for early signup. And the Rocket City Marathon is around $75 if you register early.

Congrats @moyer566 on your HM.
  • Stoshew71
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Can this be? I'm only 3 miles behind @Stoshew71 for the month? I know it won't last long, but for now I will bask in the glory of being so close to greatness...LOL...... :DB)

Yeah. I started the month in a cutback week and head cold that ruined my long run on saturday. I couldn't get up at 6am like I wanted to. Then it got too late to run because I had to help host my daughter's birthday party. And by the time it was all over, I was exhausted.

Greatness? Where? *looks around confused*
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Yeah. I started the month in a cutback week and head cold that ruined my long run on saturday. I couldn't get up at 6am like I wanted to. Then it got too late to run because I had to help host my daughter's birthday party. And by the time it was all over, I was exhausted.
    Don't worry, you'll be back at your amazing levels of mileage soon, hope you're over that cold, thet really stink t have. I'm just happy I could run the 5k after running my 8.44 distance PR the day before. This month is a lot of ramping up for me, then a decent amount of cutback/taper in June before my 7/4 HM

• Stoshew71
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Don't worry, you'll be back at your amazing levels of mileage soon, hope you're over that cold, thet really stink t have. I'm just happy I could run the 5k after running my 8.44 distance PR the day before. This month is a lot of ramping up for me, then a decent amount of cutback/taper in June before my 7/4 HM

Yeah. I feel a lot better now. Not only with the cold but physically too. Thank you.

It wasn't too long ago that I celebrated 9 mile distance PR. it seems like a lot now, but soon you will be eating runs like that for breakfast.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Took 2 more rest days as my left quad was still a bit sore yesterday but did some water-station volunteering at a triathlon Saturday morning. Finally resumed my running mid-day today (in Florida) so I kept the pace relatively easy as the heat was starting to get a bit oppressive. I'll stick to later night runs for the rest of the week before I return back north next Monday.

Next race isn't until late September, so I'm debating putting some northern trail race on the calendar for the summer, but may just stick with my training and crush my Ironman 70.3 and Chicago Marathon in September/October. Also, it looks like my college buddy poker night crew is heading out to vegas again this year for the R&R race, so I'll just pencil in the 10K for November as it is a week after my full Ironman, and I'm not sure I should subject my body to that level of stress that soon.

5/1 - 26.2 miles (Pittsburgh Marathon - 3:08:25, ran as bib #666 in full devil costume, got a BQ)
    5/5 - 6 miles
    5/9 - 10 miles

Total: 42 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 138 miles

Next Races:
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - September
    Chicago Marathon - October
    Ironman Florida - November

@ROBOTFOOD - Congrads on surviving, as the mild 900ft of downhill at my last marathon had my quads dead (especially with just 150ft during mile 24). I'd hate to think of what I'd be like after 5000ft of it.

@MLS1582 - a little over 2 years ago (Feb 2014), I ran my first 10K in 1:07:35. I week ago, I BQed with a 3:08 marathon. Just keep running, stick with the challenges and you'll be crushing your competition in no time!

@_nikkiwolf_ - Massive congrads on rocking your first HM. It is amazing how the race atmosphere can bring out the best, and it must have felt awesome.

@louubelle16 - Sorry to hear that the weather didn't cooperate for that race. Glad you had a better first HM race. When it gets that hot, I'm happy to be going about 2-3 minutes/mile slower at similar heart rates, and at big races like that, those sorts of weather problems always seem to lead to medical disasters when racers stop listening to their bodies.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    And another slow 4.2 km for today.

I really need to stop doing point something on my runs. I find that at the end of the week I must run exactly to make a full number.

..Date.....Distance
    May 01 - rest
    May 02 - 4.1 km
    May 03 - rest
    May 04 - rest
    May 05 - 5 km
    May 06 - rest
    May 07 - 4.1 km
    May 08 - 5.8 km
    May 09 - 4.1 km

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    ??/??: VeterRUN 6.7k
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    thanks, @Stoshew71 @5BeautifulDays @MNLittleFinn @WhatMeRunning and anyone else i missed

Congrats to the many runners who raced this weekend.

race report
    and the hills
    DoorCountyHalfElevation.jpg

• KWKirkbride
    KWKirkbride Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    A simple 2.1 miles today. Woke up to IT Bands that were screaming at me. It's amazing what two miles after two months of not running can do to your body. Not upset at all about the low mileage but I'm looking forward to a few weeks from now when I'm back to building towards double digits.

@kristinegift Great picture! I always see cool things to take pics of but I never can find the patience to stop and take the shot.

@everyone Thanks for the kind words.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Ugh....I just found out I'm going to have to re-route my planned run tomorrow morning.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Did C25k week 6 day 1 today, and realized I really shouldn't be running on consecutive days yet. Legs were not happy. But, I made it through. 3.4 miles today.

exercise.png

it takes time t work up to consecutive days, but now you know, without too much pain, why that is so. Good job running!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Ohhim wrote: »
    @louubelle16 - Sorry to hear that the weather didn't cooperate for that race. Glad you had a better first HM race. When it gets that hot, I'm happy to be going about 2-3 minutes/mile slower at similar heart rates, and at big races like that, those sorts of weather problems always seem to lead to medical disasters when racers stop listening to their bodies.

I agree with that, and I have to be honest, I was one of those who stopped listening to my body. I think it's only pure luck that I had been ill that week and so had decided to take it a bit easier anyway otherwise I would have pushed and mile 12 nearly saw me off anyway. I think in a big race it's even easier to get carried away with the atmosphere and run faster than you know you should, as if it's not hard enough to reign yourself in to a sensible pace anyway when you're pumped on a race day!

@louubelle16 I am sorry about your HM experience. That 2:20 is a pretty darn good time despite the hot weather.

Chip time 2:05, 2:20 was my official time. After all that suffering (and the pain I am still in, seriously, my feet are GROSS and I've lost my first toenail to running), don't take that 15 minutes away from me :lol:

Soooo, as for that toe with no toe-nail... what the hell do I do now? It really, really hurts :cry: I couldn't wear shoes most of the day today, it was absolute agony!

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Sorry not to be reading all the posts I will catch up soon I see you all doing great things. I have family in town so things are nutty.

5/1 - 5 miles
    5/2 - 4 miles
    5/3 - rest day
    5/4 - 6 miles
    5/5 - 5 miles
    5/6 - rest day
    5/7 - 5 miles
    5/8 - trip to Nashville :smiley:
    5/9 - 5 miles

30 of 100 miles

exercise.png

@stoshew71 I saw both your messages, thank you. I'll check it all out.
  • Stoshew71
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Sorry not to be reading all the posts I will catch up soon I see you all doing great things. I have family in town so things are nutty.

5/1 - 5 miles
    5/2 - 4 miles
    5/3 - rest day
    5/4 - 6 miles
    5/5 - 5 miles
    5/6 - rest day
    5/7 - 5 miles
    5/8 - trip to Nashville :smiley:
    5/9 - 5 miles

30 of 100 miles

exercise.png

@stoshew71 I saw both your messages, thank you. I'll check it all out.

Trip to Nashville yesterday? Emmie and I went to the Gallaria Mall in Franklin so that she can get the new American Girl doll. Just turned 12 and she was very animate about that. I guess it's better than a boyfriend.
  • Stoshew71
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ohhim wrote: »

I agree with that, and I have to be honest, I was one of those who stopped listening to my body. I think it's only pure luck that I had been ill that week and so had decided to take it a bit easier anyway otherwise I would have pushed and mile 12 nearly saw me off anyway. I think in a big race it's even easier to get carried away with the atmosphere and run faster than you know you should, as if it's not hard enough to reign yourself in to a sensible pace anyway when you're pumped on a race day!

Chip time 2:05, 2:20 was my official time. After all that suffering (and the pain I am still in, seriously, my feet are GROSS and I've lost my first toenail to running), don't take that 15 minutes away from me :lol:

Soooo, as for that toe with no toe-nail... what the hell do I do now? It really, really hurts :cry: I couldn't wear shoes most of the day today, it was absolute agony!

Ooops. 2:05 chip time, even more impressive than your 2:20 gun time.
    Sandles and toenail paint? or Sandles and a bandaid that says Badd@$$ Runner?
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for May
    5/1 REST DAY
    5/2 6.2 miles - 6.2 << Taper and cutback week. 5K race Wednesday morning
    5/3 6.2 miles - 12.4
    5/4 4.4 miles - 16.8 << PEO-AVN 5K Fun Run (was only 2.9 miles; plus 1.5 w/u)
    5/4 3.1 miles - 19.9 << got some extra miles squeezed in
    5/5 7.5 miles - 27.4
    5/6 4 miles - 31.4
    5/7 REST DAY << Sick +daughter's birthday party
    5/8 REST DAY
    5/9 9 miles - 40.4 << Madkin Mountain (634 ft elev gain)
    5/10 4 miles - 44.4 << Daily Double

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I think I just had a "you know you're addicted to running when..." type of moment.