1200 calories? Macros?

Options

Replies

• paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    For those who think calories don't matter explain in their own words what a calorie is?
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    calories in and calories out and i eat what i like within those parameters, including carbohydrates, shock horror, and im still losing weight.
    My bug bear is people being down on carbs, junk food yes, carbs no, I love brown bread,pulses, beans, wholegrains, oats, brown rice, brown pasta etc for example baked beans on toast is a good source of vitamins, minerals, fibre, roughage and protein. The way people carry on you would think carbs were poison
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Calories
    Calories don't count. The constitution of the food does! You could eat salad and veg all day everyday and not hit that calorie target. Just eat good food sources. Keep protein high with some good quality fats. If you want to lose body fat, reduce your carbohydrate intake. Track carbs, not calories!

Just a note, @Ashleyfxo. When you get conflicting information from different posters, look and see how many posts they have made. @hassankarimi82 has made 42 posts. @teabea has made 9,085 posts and @SezxyStef has made 12,323 posts. You probably want to listen to the people who have been around awhile (and know what they are talking about).

I have only posted maybe 2x, because I have a job and a life, but I do have something to say on this topic: I have found that it really is math--calories in and calories out. I also do not agree with the low carb craze. I am a vegan body builder (my profile pic is NOT me however) and have had a great year of getting into shape. There are a ton of opinions out there so I experimented with different ways of doing this. I counted macros for a while; I increased and decreased calories on a schedule; I intermittent fasted. I figured out what works for me. You will too. Trust yourself and educate yourself.

I always weigh and measure and log my food (though I am now using cronometer). My food journey is ongoing and I appreciate other's opinions. However, I trust myself and my experience above all others.

Hi there! New vegan here. I been debating if cronometer is different or the same as myfitnesspal. ..could you please share more?
    How you use it, how it differs, pros, cons, etc.
    Thank you.

I log on both (and am a vegan too). Cronometer provides a lot more detail -- it gives you a breakdown of more vitamins and the specific amino acids you're getting (not just protein). But the database is mainly based on the USDA (or other governmental databases), so you have to enter a lot more foods you eat (if you eat things that aren't found in those databases). However, because it is based on databases, the entries are much more accurate (compared to the crowd-sourced entries you find here). You can create custom foods pretty easily (but those foods won't have the detailed vitamin/mineral/amino acid information unless you know it yourself and enter it). Creating custom recipes is incredibly easy, as Cronometer isn't plagued by the matching/inaccuracy issues you find using MFP's Recipe Builder.

MFP is more designed for weight loss/gain and community interaction. Cronometer is a tool to determine what you're eating (although it will also let you see if you're at a deficit, it won't recommend a specific goal for you).

I like using both of them, but most people probably wouldn't want to log their food twice per day. I usually use MFP to pre-log and hit my goal and then use Cronometer the day after to see how I did and make any adjustments in my menu planning for future days.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want if your only goal is weight loss. If its muscle main/maintenance you need to look at macros. BUT just for weight loss, its simple science, you need to eat less than you burn. You can eat 1200 calories worth of cokes and candy bars or 1200 calories worth of chicken, sweet potatoes and greens. It doesn't matter as long as you're eating less than you burn. However, YOU WILL be more hungry by going with the first option, the junk food. Just have to see what works for you. Some days a snickers is not worth spending 250 of my calorie allowance on, and some days its totally worth it!
  • RebeccaNaegle
    Options
    Um, this is what we are all saying... :/

You could say - macro and calorie track and eat junk food and reach your goals, but making good choices wouldn't require you to be strict and calories count. Are you saying a surplus of lettuce should be logged and tracked?! Do you weigh out....peas? Crazy if you ask me.

Example -
    CAKE, track it yes.
    VEGETABLES, don't bother. Fill your boots!
    Understand? It depends on what the foods consist of.
    [/quote]

This method is crazy if you ask me. If you eat it, log it! No matter how healthy it is. Everything in excess can be calorie dense.
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Right, thats it. 10,000 calorie CLEAN food challenge!!
  • RebeccaNaegle
    Options
    paulgads82 wrote: »
    For those who think calories don't matter explain in their own words what a calorie is?

Calories are units of energy for your body.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Calories don't count. The constitution of the food does! You could eat salad and veg all day everyday and not hit that calorie target. Just eat good food sources. Keep protein high with some good quality fats. If you want to lose body fat, reduce your carbohydrate intake. Track carbs, not calories!

NO - this is incorrect! Calories are pretty much ALL that count for weight loss. Of course, you want to eat a wide variety of nourishing, nutrient-dense foods. But in the end, your calories in must be fewer than your calories out if you want to lose weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I wash my hand before I prepare my food does that count as clean?
  • RebeccaNaegle
    Options
    paulgads82 wrote: »

But for the record, calories do matter.
  • hassankarimi82
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I wash my hand before I prepare my food does that count as clean?

If you wash the cake too, YES! Oh! and if you cut the cake in half, you halve the calories, but then....you can eat twice as much!!
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    UpEarly wrote: »

NO - this is incorrect! Calories are pretty much ALL that count for weight loss. Of course, you want to eat a wide variety of nourishing, nutrient-dense foods. But in the end, your calories in must be fewer than your calories out if you want to lose weight.

Don't try to teach the unteachable.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Easy. 1 kg of walnuts should take care of nearly 7000 calories of these. I used to eat that on some days. The remaining 3000 aren't that hard to collect if you do olive oil fried eggplants and a few other things.
  • hassankarimi82
    Options

Easy. 1 kg of walnuts should take care of nearly 7000 calories of these. I used to eat that on some days. The remaining 3000 aren't that hard to collect if you do olive oil fried eggplants and a few other things.

A kilogram of walnuts. Very nice!
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

So much bad information here..........

OP - calories count. Always. @SezxyStef is correct.

So if calories count, then why am I not 15 stone like fitness pal says I should be after a year of eating quality food in a surplus. It's sad that people track calories. There is a great difference in the calories on a plate full of vegetables than a plate with cake. Calories do not count. Quality food counts.

Buy a food scale. Weigh everything in grams, and log religiously. And to the bolded...yeah, that's obvious. But if I correctly weigh and log the cake and make it fit in my daily calories, I'm gonna eat some cake.

I'm not questioning your intelligence what so ever, but I'm genuinely curious as to why it has to be grams?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

So if calories count, then why am I not 15 stone like fitness pal says I should be after a year of eating quality food in a surplus. It's sad that people track calories. There is a great difference in the calories on a plate full of vegetables than a plate with cake. Calories do not count. Quality food counts.

Buy a food scale. Weigh everything in grams, and log religiously. And to the bolded...yeah, that's obvious. But if I correctly weigh and log the cake and make it fit in my daily calories, I'm gonna eat some cake.

I'm not questioning your intelligence what so ever, but I'm genuinely curious as to why it has to be grams?

For things like peanut butter, oil, nuts..etc it's much easier to weigh in grams than to deal fractions of an ounce.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

less room for error.

1 oz = 28.3495 grams....and most scales only move after the half way threshold is met...

so if you are eating a 6 oz it really could be 6.5 or 5.5 which in turn means it's not accurate.

In most things it won't matter a whole lot if the calories are low enough but once you get into calorie dense items like cheese, avocado etc it matters.

I prefer grams...mainly because most of my entries have the 100 gram measurement so it's easier to log 0.75 servings or 1.25 depending on how much I eat.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I use grams, because i live in Australia and have no idea what an ounce is :lol:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

less room for error.

1 oz = 28.3495 grams....and most scales only move after the half way threshold is met...

so if you are eating a 6 oz it really could be 6.5 or 5.5 which in turn means it's not accurate.

In most things it won't matter a whole lot if the calories are low enough but once you get into calorie dense items like cheese, avocado etc it matters.

I prefer grams...mainly because most of my entries have the 100 gram measurement so it's easier to log 0.75 servings or 1.25 depending on how much I eat.

Yep. That's why.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options

Too funny. This is like a Borat movie or something...