edited May 2016
    Options
    @kristinegift @WhatMeRunning @ddmom0811 @PoppetsMaster
    The latest in Rorschach test's?

5j0lkhgxopvn.png

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I love how all these run maps look like weird, archaic alphabets.... :smile:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I'm so boring what a boring map LOL

@MNlittlefinn - you are too kind, not amazing just wanted to be a Mommy :smile:

trnwiw1opo8h.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I'm so boring what a boring map LOL

@MNlittlefinn - you are too kind, not amazing just wanted to be a Mommy :smile:

trnwiw1opo8h.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    jqk8qtehw5-small_zpsyrxlsq4k.png
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - To me, many of your early runs looks like a person sitting down--and the later ones, a person sitting down with a cat on his head...
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 @poppetsmaster & @whatmerunning Good luck guys and anyone else racing this weekend.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for May
    5/1 REST DAY
    5/2 6.2 miles - 6.2 << Taper and cutback week. 5K race Wednesday morning
    5/3 6.2 miles - 12.4
    5/4 4.4 miles - 16.8 << PEO-AVN 5K Fun Run (was only 2.9 miles; plus 1.5 w/u)
    5/4 3.1 miles - 19.9 << got some extra miles squeezed in
    5/5 7.5 miles - 27.4
    5/6 4 miles - 31.4
    5/7 REST DAY << Sick +daughter's birthday party
    5/8 REST DAY
    5/9 9 miles - 40.4 << Madkin Mountain (634 ft elev gain)
    5/9 4 miles - 44.4 << Daily Double
    5/10 8.3 miles - 52.7
    5/10 4 miles 56.7 << Daily Double
    5/11 6.2 miles - 62.9
    5/12 9 miles - 71.9
    5/13 6.4 miles - 78.3

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25

• KWKirkbride
    KWKirkbride Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Another short run today to put me at 6.4 miles for the month. Legs felt just awful after various activities (running, cycling, p90x) but seem to be coming around to the increased workload. Hoping to get out tomorrow after work but the wind is going to be howling so we'll see what happens.

Hope everyone is having a great month!

5/8 - 1.9
    5/9 - 2.1
    5/13 - 2.4
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Hey all. Surgery this morning was uneventful, and except for the fact that the anesthesia felt like someone was breaking my arm (until I was blissfully unconscious!), relatively pain-free. I have some nice pain killers if I need them, but I think I'll be fine without. The doctor thought I should be fine walking (like, distance walking) within a day or two. She thought two weeks for running, but she doesn't know how slow I am...so I might try a little jog after a week. :)

I'm enjoying all the run posters. It's surprising how many running routes look like dogs, lol!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Uff, *somebody* thought it was a good idea to go for a run last night instead of doing strength training. Which meant the YAYOG week 1 day 4 workout had to be done tonight, since I didn't want don't to fall too far behind. Too many side lunges! In 24 hours from now I'll probably be really sore - so I should head out for my long run tomorrow morning as soon as possible, before the DOMS kicks in in earnest.
    On the other hand, if I leave the house too early, I'm going to miss the parcel devivery guy, who should show up at my door at some point tomorrow. It's remotely possible there was a 15% off voucher in the mail a few days ago, so I might just have forgotten my "no more running shoes"-vow and ordered a pair of Saucony Xodus 3 trail shoes. If I'm not home when the delivery van drives up, those poor darlings will have to spend the long weekend (Monday = holiday here) in a dark box at the post office until I can pick them up on Tuesday after work.
    Ah, the hard decisions in the life of a runner...
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    May 03      4.2T     4.2  
    May 04      4.2T     8.4 
    May 06      5.1     13.5 
    May 07      8.2     21.7 
    May 08      5.6     27.3 
    May 09      4.2     31.5 
    May 11      6.5     38.0 
    May 13      5.0     43.0 

exercise.png

Tomorrow I switch from my Saucony Omni's to a brand new pair of Brooks Ghost shoes. I love Saucony shoes but I seem to tear through the heels in a big hurry.

Anybody here a Strava Premium member, and if so, what are the advantages of going premium?
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays Great to hear your surgery went well, and that you can go for long walks already so quickly afterwards. That's good news, I'm happy for you :)

@vandinem Funny that you ask now, I just looked at Strava Premium about half an hour ago, because I know that some people here use it (and Strava always dumps those "Go Premium"-messages in like five different places all over the screen).
    From what I read, the main features are that you can set goals for weekly running or time on segments and such, and you get access to training plans for various differences. Depending on which device you use, people can follow your run live online while you are running. You get a "trophy case" where the badges from all Strava challenges you completed are displayed, and there are some more analysis features, like a "suffer score" to give you points for spending long times in high HR zones (or something like that? not sure about this one...)
    60 CHF/year (or presumbably a similar amount in USD) is more than I'm willing to pay for that. But maybe there are some features that I am missing, I'm sure someone else will be able to say more on this.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    May Running Totals (miles)
    5/1 – 3.11 easy
    5/2 – rest day
    5/3 – extra rest day
    5/4 – 3.51 almost easy
    5/5 – 6.34 easy
    5/6 – planned rest day
    5/7 – 11.02 with pace group
    5/8 – extra rest day
    5/9 – scheduled rest day
    5/10 – extra rest day
    5/11 – no running
    5/12 – no running
    5/13 – PT appointment, no running
    5/14 – no running
    5/15 - no running, DNS for 10K

May total to date – 23.98

Nominal Challenge Goal – 150 miles
    Real Goals: Recover from Boston and Flower City. Build Base. Start training program for Rochester Marathon.

Today's notes – My goals for May are pretty much toast, but I wanted to write this note so I won't be a disappearing act here. Noticed a pattern where I'd run, then couldn't run the next day. Monday I called the PT for an appointment, which was today. I haven't run any distance since the 11 miles that felt good last Saturday and felt awful on Sunday.

Long story short, I have an unstable right hip. The tensor fascia latta needs to be strengthened, as well as a bunch of miscellaneous stabilizing muscles. I have some new exercises and stretches, plus one old familiar one from 2013 PT. I didn't get a time estimate for how long till I can run without messing myself up by compensating for the weak TFL.

This makes sense. As I suspected, something that wasn't even hurting was causing the issues. As I think back to twinges I had in November and December, I think I got the same issue after running Good Life Halfsy on 11/1/2015. Like Boston, Good Life is net downhill; but it doesn't drop as much and it's only a half, so the recovery was easier. And I may have had weakness in the same area after Buffalo 2015, in hindsight. Whatever.

The task now is to follow directions and get better, so I can get back to running regularly. Not running 6 days in a row is no fun, but it beats being in a boot for 3 weeks (done that!), and it beats not running for 3 months in a row (done that, too.)

Lilac Run 10K is Sunday. It would be a miracle if I'm enough better to run it without messing myself up pretty bad, so I'll go do volunteer stuff at 6:30 AM. I hope I'm able to come back in time for the Medved 5K to Cure ALS, and it will really drive me nuts if I have sit out Shoreline. The aggressive training cycle for the Rochester Marathon would have started on May 29; that doesn't seem so likely now. Tentative plan is to build a base for Rochester, enjoy the scenery, and just accept that it will be my slowest marathon to date. If I run it slow enough, maybe I'll be able to run up the Brewer Street hill at mile 24. (I was barely able to run up Brewer Street at mile 11 of the half last year. A lot of people walked.)

I don't want to think about this lasting so long that I can't run Rochester.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hilton, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Background for my question: My doctor (and me, TBH) is unhappy with the fact that my weight has been creeping up the last few visits.

Quick sidenote: in late '06, I'd gotten up to 260#, and had gotten disgusted with myself, so I started changing my eating and doing the treadmill. Ran my first 5K in 03/2008. Since then, I've gotten down to (at the lowest) 193 last year, but now I'm hovering around 195. I'd like to get down to 175 (which puts me on the high end of a "normal" BMI for my height).

I'm trying to be more intentional with eating (and cutting out snacks!), and keeping up with the 35-40 miles per week running. The question is this: for those here who've lost weight while or because of running, or otherwise, did you do a regular "cheat" or no-track day? Did you do it weekly, or less often? How would I best coordinate that with my running: put it on my long-run day, since I know I'll have a bonus of calories burnt, to offset the extra calories I'm likely to eat, or put it on Sunday (which happens to be my rest day) because I tend to only eat 2 meals that day anyway?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 I never have done a no tracking day. But I do go over my calorie budget at least weekly. My key has been to keep a net deficit and then track when I do go over to ensure I keep at a deficit. I've used TDEE more for tracking weight than MFP, just because it's easier to figure out the calories I have stored up, and the TDEE calculator I use has calorie amounts for 10%, 15% and 20% deficits, and I go by weekly average.

I tend to do my over eating day on a non run day, because that's when the hunger always seems to hit me.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 I lost over 80 lbs in the past 12 months.

I didn't ever have any cheat days. I just exercised every day which earned me lots more calories to eat.

I walked a lot as well as running. I earned about 1,000 extra calories every day through exercise, and ate back around 75% of them, as calculated by Apple Health or Fitbit Charge HR.

But the MFP app lets you see your weekly calories, and you can go by those if you find yourself going over one day a week.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    May Goal: Run for....1 bourbon, 1 scootch, 1 beer (with apologies to George Thorogood)

5/1 deep mucking of the chicken coop and environs
    5/2 4.0
    5/3 life day
    5/4 7.54
    5/5 snorkel 3.5hours
    5/6 3.21
    5/7 4.05
    5/8 rest
    5/9 4.05
    5/10 meh
    5/11 4.54
    5/12 3.26
    5/13 6.05

Total 36.70

@5BeautifulDays : glad your surgery went well!

Upcoming races:
    6/26 SHEPower Virtual 1/2 marathon
    11/13 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Sorry you're on the DL :( Take care and you'll be back running sooner than later!

@9voice9 In my opinion, the less you have to lose, the more strict you have to be and running on a deficit is hard. When I lost 70lbs in a year I offset high/cheat days with super low days. I wasn't running yet though. I'd suggest only highly nutritious and filling food. I'm currently trying to get off 15lbs I've gained so I'm with you on trying to figure out how to eat at a deficit and not have my running suffer.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Lots of catching up to do. Just got in 2 miles before lifting yesterday (as it was a rest/recovery day) and did 4.5 tonight on the treadmill while watching the end of the Lightning/Penguins game. Not enjoying the warm weather, but adjusting to treadmill life as it'll be the norm this summer when I'm in Florida. Also heard from my main northern running buddy that he's in a boot for 2 weeks which'll likely result in some alternative running partners. On the plus side, I'm getting much more biking exercise this week (w. 120 miles the last 4 days).

Flying back up north Monday, and snagged an extra ticket for the Penguins/Lightning game that night, so looking forward to cheering on my bolts in enemy territory.

5/1 - 26.2 miles (Pittsburgh Marathon - 3:08:25, ran as bib #666 in full devil costume, got a BQ)
    5/5 - 6 miles
    5/9 - 15 miles
    5/10 - 6 miles
    5/11 - 3 miles
    5/12 - 2 miles
    5/13 - 4.5 miles

Total: 62.5 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 117.5 miles

Next Races:
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - September
    Chicago Marathon - October
    Ironman Florida - November

@mobycarp - Good luck with the recovery. You'd be surprised at the number of race report stories I've read from friends/others that start with "early on in training, I was injuried and had to take X days/weeks off" and end with "I totally crushed my PR". I'm sure you've seen the table in the Jack Daniels books about rest time and impact to training as well, as 1-2 weeks won't do much. Given the shape you were in at Boston, I'm sure with better weather you'd be at least 10-20 minutes under the time, and you'll see some impressive results the next time you race at 100%.