WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2016

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    Options
    Penny - Gratulerer med dagen!!

Just put a Spinach and Feta cake in the oven. I still love it, even though I've had it sooooooo many times. We have one third each for dinner i.e. two of her portions each and it still comes in low on calories. With a salad. The last sixth each we have for lunch the following day, or I freeze it for future canapés. Any newbies - it's on skinnytaste.com as Easy Crustless Spinach and Feta Pie. It isn't a pie, it's a savoury cake. :D

Lawn man hasn't shown up. Probably because rain is due tonight and all day tomorrow. D H has gone out for a walk.

Feeling a bit blah today. Had so much excitement recently I'm probably in reaction mode. Life can't be all bling, can it. :tongue:

Fell asleep during relaxation at yoga. Oooops. I heard a little snore. :bigsmile:

Love again, Heather UK
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Morning.
    I realized that reading through this group's messages is always such a help. I get:
    1. Encouragement to continue on the struggle to drop the pounds
    2. Motivation to exercise more.... I mean Pip is quite the example setter let alone some of you other ladies
    3. Challenged to love more, some of you have such amazing love for those around you
    4. Exhausted just reading some of your busy lives.... I know the tornado in West Texas is really Lisa tearing up life.
    5. Uplifted by the joy of life so many of you show
    6. Reminded that my life is really pretty darned good and I ought to recognize that more often and complain less

The only negative.... if I don't come by two or three times a day I'm SO far behind in messages it's like I'm drowning in information! Ya'll need to talk less! :wink: (but if you did I wouldn't benefit like I do.

Packing today. Headed to New Mexico for a meeting with the Santa Ana and Zia pueblos and then going up to Colorado to visit family. Pretty sure I won't have much time for getting online although I'll try to log my food (got a good streak going right now, my longest ever, I'd hate to break that. lol). I'll be in the corral working cattle most of my family visit so it will be a physical week. Worst part, I don't have any boots so I'll be squishing about in the muck in old tennis shoes. Good thing manure washes off although if it's spring muck as usual I'll be tossing those shoes rather than subjecting the entire airplane to the smell on the way home. lol Ah the fun things of life eh? (actually I'm really looking forward to it, I've been away from the ranch way too long)

Marcelyn
    Getting more rain in Houston
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. Hanging in there; seems like the days just blur into each other. We have accreditation site visitors here for several days, so we are all running back and forth to and from meetings with them. I got discharged by neurosurgery and have my last PT appointment this week. I’d say I’m 95% right now; just a tad bid of “altered sensation” on the tops of my toes. I managed 50 minutes of exercise and >11,000 steps yesterday.
    J
    oyce: sending you and Charlie prayers. I have taken care of several patients in his situation and once they got adjusted to the ileostomy, it was all good. They were so happy to be rid of the symptoms and the medications it ended up being a small trade off.

Linda: congrats to son! Astrophysics…amazing

Heather: where and when is your cruise? I love cruising! I have made that crustless quiche and love it!

Alison: sending prayers and hugs to you! What a shock.

Karen: sounds like you are doing quite the juggling job with that coworker.

DJ: sounds like you are keeping way to busy lol!

Michele: you pack like I do! A bag for this, a bag for that….

Barbie: thanks for sharing the message from fancy

GRITS: oh no, another seizure? That neurologist is a nitwit. I hate drs like that. I would rather wait for my family practice doc who always runs about 15 minutes late because she spends so much time with her patients; she really believes in holistic care and always asks about families, jobs, etc. in addition to whatever you are there for.

Kim: my go-to do for pork chops is to pan fry them in a pan that you just barely brush with olive oil. After browning on both sides, add water and cooking sherry, cover and cook another 10 minutes or so until done. Then take the lid off, remove chops, and reduce the water to a thick sauce. YUM

CJ: sounds like a fabulous dinner!

Well I’m off to another meet-and-greet. I have a ‘speaking part’ later on. I need to find a way to slow things down….anyone out there successful at that? Take care, meg from Omaha

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

thanks for the compliment marcelynh, all I do is try.

one thing I had not mentioned about Kirby that is only relevant now because of hearing about jmkmomm's hubbby's situation, i thought i'd share. as you may know (or may not) kirby has something called central chord syndrome due to the hit he had with the car. along with the numbing and tingling throughout his body is loss of control of his bladder and mostly poop control, these are side affects of that condition. at first he wasn't able to run, now that he's running again, he's getting better. there have been a few times when he didn't make it to the bathroom in time and i had to clean him up. he was so embarrassed and was crying in the beginning. i reassured him that not to worry about me having to help him, i am his wife and this is part of what i do, and not think twice about it. his poop control is getting better and better. i suggested that he wear adult diapers for the marathon in November because there may not be a bathroom around and he will just need to keep running. this is the ONLY reason i'm running the marathon with him. i just want to watch how he does and help him out if he needs me. he thanked me in the beginning for not putting this on facebook. i looked at him and told him, "u crazy? i would never do that to you, that's awful" the only reason i am mentioning it here is because i'm not going to hear any smart *kitten* comments or jokes.

keep your chin up jmkmomm. we are here 4 u

if the weather is nice, i'll b riding home
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Marcelyn, where in Colorado is the ranch located?

Janetr okc
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,068 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ~~waves to all the lovely vintage babes in here~~

Just found this app / site when I decided I really need to start tracking my 'macros', and then I stumbled on this lovely thread just for me!! :smiley:

:star: I still need to read through all your posts, but love the support y'all provide to each other in the few I've perused... :star:

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party for May, but figured I'd plop in and make myself at home here! :heart:

OP asked for May Goals:
    1. Devotions daily
    2. Work out goals:
    • 4 Stand Up Paddleboard (SUP) races (3 down, one to go - though I finished last in my age/gender/board category, I've been 2d twice and third once. Two of the races I had time improvements over last year, and the other race (new this year) I had my best time ever for a 3 mile race!)
    • Cardio 4 times a week (from this week forward, didn't do so well earlier this month).
    • Strength training 1-2 days (full routine using bands).
    • Kettlebell targeted exercises for SUP improvement 2-3 days a week (squat, swing, arm row, dead lift).
    3. Eat healthier and figure out where I need to fix my macros.
    4. Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day.
    5. Get 7-9 hours of sleep a night.
    6. File stack of bills on dining room table.
    7. Finish getting home office organized.
    8. Make a dent in sorting/purging the boxes in my living room.

(((Hugs to all)))
    Since there is already a Linda here, feel free to just call me beachy/b3achy/b3...it's my old gaming nickname and I still answer to it if people call me it...of course, I answer to any number of nicknames, but we won't get into that here... :wink:
    Hailing from sunny FL, though it's raining today...hmmmm :confused:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I just had a call from our niece. She and her daughter will be out tomorrow so that they can see our DD and the DGC before they go back to Illinois. I like it! :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    CJ...How absolutely wonderful that you got to go to a State Dinner And sit next to the Prime Minister!! I am so impressed by the important work you do. Do post a picture if you have one of you in all your fabuliousness!! Good job of getting the dress gently used, you can then splurge on the hair, makeup, etc.

Allison..I just can't believe how all these people are taking advantage of you. To get a dog for a person who is in no position to take care of it because they know you will do it (and without consulting you) is just plain wrong. As far as Tom's behaviour towards you, enough has been said about his abusiveness to you. Please consider saying no to these people and perhaps they won't continue taking advantage of you. If they get their noses out of joint, so be it. You need to stop being treated like a door mat and you are the only one who can stop it. I say this out of love and concern for you, please don't take it the wrong way. I know it's easier said than done but we are all behind you.

Heather...I also want to thank you for introducing me to Duolingo. The first conversation I had with BF, when I found out he was a native French speaker, I told him that I was relearning French thru Duolingo. He told me he was learning German (my native language) thru Duolingo. What are the chances of that?

Everyone have a great day.
    Chris in MA

• Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Marcelyn, where in Colorado is the ranch located?

Janetr okc

I grew up in the southern part of the state. Little town called Del Norte. Located in the San Luis Valley. Our ranch sat at the foot of the San Juan mountains and we had the beautiful Sangre de Cristo's out the front door. It was just 3 miles to a 14,000 peak's base... I grew up hiking, rock climbing and cross-country skiing. I will always miss the mountains.

Marcelyn
    At sea-level Houston
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone! (It probably won't be morning by the time I finish, though.)

Joyce - (((Hugs))) to you and Charlie.

I had a great weekend including a hike with my son on Sunday. It was really good to be outside on such a beautiful day and it was good to be able to do something with Andrew. On Saturday, I cooked dinner for the two of us which was nice, too. I've simply not had the energy or oomph to do much for a while now.

Yesterday, however, was a different story. Everything was good up until about 4:30 p.m. when I got a nasty email from the pastor at the job I don't like. Yet again he has thrown me under the bus instead of standing up to a mean old man with entitlement issues. As a result, I will now be investigated by personnel. I am so tired of being tried, convicted, and sentenced before I'm even asked about the situation. The man who made accusations was simply wrong. He accused me of not doing something that I did do. However, this time, I am standing up for myself and will not back down. And, if they choose to fire me over this, I will seek a wrongful termination suit. (I have attorney friends.) I know that I have some folks in my corner but it is such a crying shame that the co-workers whom I consistently and constantly protect see me as cannon fodder. Due to the stress, I woke up at 3 a.m. in intense pain from reflux to the point of vomiting. I am ready to slay dragons today! I will remain professional but I am livid.

Lisa - If you have any words of advice, please share them.

CJ - I'm so glad things are going better for you.

Michelle - Have you downloaded the MFP app onto your tablet? If so, there is a "more" selection that will take you to a list where you can choose "community" and access the thread that way. I much prefer the app for logging food.

I read all of the posts but I'm so distracted and tired that I can't remember who else to reply to. You know you are all in my heart at all times.

:heart: Carol in dreadfully rainy NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,949 Member
    Options
    CJ...
    Allison..I just can't believe how all these people are taking advantage of you. To get a dog for a person who is in no position to take care of it because they know you will do it (and without consulting you) is just plain wrong. As far as Tom's behaviour towards you, enough has been said about his abusiveness to you. Please consider saying no to these people and perhaps they won't continue taking advantage of you. If they get their noses out of joint, so be it. You need to stop being treated like a door mat and you are the only one who can stop it. I say this out of love and concern for you, please don't take it the wrong way. I know it's easier said than done but we are all behind you.

ditto from me <3 .....no one can take advantage of you without your permission

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Pip - nope, no smart mouthed jokes here. We are all of an age that we have our own share of physicsl restrictions and limitations, and unfortunately not a joking matter.

Janetr okc
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,738 Member
    Options
    Hidee ho- here at work..well this is the scoop .they will be taking momma and puppy with them,Sean will not allow me to have to take care of mom and dog...and Sean is poed at Jean for taking the dog...but they think he was neglected and felt bad for the poor dog...dog is very timid.. I will be home for the weekend .
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Pip, I don't talk about it very often, but before I realized I had celiac disease and could not tolerate ANY gluten, I had gotten to the point that I often did not make it to the bathroom in time with my explosive diarrhea. I had to keep an extra set of clothing and wipes in my car for when that happened. Sometimes I would have to just pull over and use a bush or a ditch. It was awful. So Kirby has my empathy. I am glad that his is getting better. Often in accidents the spinal chord is just bruised and not permanently damaged, so hopefully he continues to improve.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    thanks for sharing miriamwithcats, that must have been awful for you.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi gals,

CJ- amazing opportunity and honor, I’m impressed… I loved your comment about the great thrift store find, but that the rest was so much more $$ - I am with you there is something about puttering in MY garden (different than clients) that is so enriching to my sense of peace. I do think it is interesting that we close in when we feel low, but that reaching out to a safe group is what makes us feel so much better.

Joyce – I read your posts with tears running down my face, I want to call you, be there with you…. But virtual is all I can offer - Charlie loves you and his way of showing you is just not what you need right now… I bet he is scared and thinks by clamming up he’ll look more manly or some such nonsense. Re-read the post from Lisa and others that while some things are different after the surgery there is “regular” life!

Allie – I know you love dogs, but I hate that you are getting treated poorly. Oh hip hip hooray for Sean realizing what they were doing - now you just need to relax at least part of the weekend.

Heather – love the little snore!!!! Giggle

Meg – thanks for that idea on the chops…

Pip- you and Kirby have come through so much! You are amazing.

Carol – About time!!! I am sorry you have to go through this but this pastor and his gang deserve all you can throw at them. You can even talk to your doctor and be out on stress disability while you hang them out to dry. I know that this group has a lot of believing Christians in it… but my personal experience has always been that the more involved Christians are in the running of the business of the church the less Christian their behavior is, and this is one more example.

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Heather, I was in a seminar on meditation, and fell asleep and REALLY snored. (I have sleep apnea!)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I just do not dare tell my DH what the thread is about at the moment! Being a man he thinks it is so weird that we tell each other all this stuff anyway. Personally I think it's wonderful that we can share and give each other support. Beyond price. <3<3<3Miriam - I remember in India when I had Delhi Belly, having to get the taxi driver to keep stopping the car in the middle of the desert, where there was nothing but tiny rocks to try to hide behind. Plus I had to stuff my knickers with pillowcases I stole from the hotel.

Katla - Happy for you!

Meg - (and any other people who don't know - can't be many >:) ) I am going on a cruise for two weeks, calling on the coast of Norway and going up to the archipelago of Svalbard, where Penny lives, high up in the Arctic Circle. If you have a globe it is just about on the top of the world. Penny is going to meet us in Longyearbyen and give us a guided tour. :D I have been learning Norwegian on Duolingo (an app) and will soon have done 100 days. I still can't speak Norwegian, :laugh: but I can say a few phrases.

I'm glad that so many of you have enjoyed Duolingo. My friend from yoga, who has just walked the Camino de Santiago (500miles) put me onto it. She learnt Spanish for her trip.

Lawn man did come after all. :D

I'm hoping to get to see my other yoga friend, who had the cancer op on her leg, tomorrow, after my BP check.

Love Heather UK