55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I know this is the success stories thread (need to update my post here), but I need some help/advice for body changes at this age, and hoped some of you could help me.

First, along with my breasts seriously sagging after about a current 80 pound weight loss, they have absolutely no volume at the top - all tissue appears to be gone except for the bottoms. Right now I'm about a 38C, and need new bras. The ones I bought a few months ago are too big. The problem is that, once I use a crane to lift them up into the cups, the tops of the cups pooch terribly - there's nothing to fill them. I have researched bras for sagging breasts, but this issue never seems to be covered (heh). All the bras with padding are these molded things that don't work at all (I've tried on hundreds, seriously), and any that have the push-up part at the bottom/side are made for much smaller band sizes which don't fit me. The "structured" bras they recommend are the ones I bought, and I tried on smaller cup sizes, but I have the same problem. They no longer make fiber-filled bras which I used to wear which might help a little. I just have no clue what to do to fill up the top of the cup - my bras look truly awful under tee-type tops which I wear a lot.

Second, my face has essentially melted, which I hate, but the part I would like help with is finding a foundation-type makeup which will cover the acne (possibly rosacea too) I still sadly suffer from, but the Clinique I was sold is matte and accentuates all my newly-showing facial wrinkles - makes me look terrible. Because of the acne, I have to be careful not to introduce too much moisure, but do you know of anything that would cover the acne but not pancake my poor skin? :/ I went back to Clinique, and the lady there was useless, still wanted to sell me the same foundation they sold me last time.

As always, I have done a lot of research online, but I guess I'm just not using the right search terms or something, as I can't find answers to these problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    I know this is the success stories thread (need to update my post here), but I need some help/advice for body changes at this age, and hoped some of you could help me.

First, along with my breasts seriously sagging after about a current 80 pound weight loss, they have absolutely no volume at the top - all tissue appears to be gone except for the bottoms. Right now I'm about a 38C, and need new bras. The ones I bought a few months ago are too big. The problem is that, once I use a crane to lift them up into the cups, the tops of the cups pooch terribly - there's nothing to fill them. I have researched bras for sagging breasts, but this issue never seems to be covered (heh). All the bras with padding are these molded things that don't work at all (I've tried on hundreds, seriously), and any that have the push-up part at the bottom/side are made for much smaller band sizes which don't fit me. The "structured" bras they recommend are the ones I bought, and I tried on smaller cup sizes, but I have the same problem. They no longer make fiber-filled bras which I used to wear which might help a little. I just have no clue what to do to fill up the top of the cup - my bras look truly awful under tee-type tops which I wear a lot.

Second, my face has essentially melted, which I hate, but the part I would like help with is finding a foundation-type makeup which will cover the acne (possibly rosacea too) I still sadly suffer from, but the Clinique I was sold is matte and accentuates all my newly-showing facial wrinkles - makes me look terrible. Because of the acne, I have to be careful not to introduce too much moisure, but do you know of anything that would cover the acne but not pancake my poor skin? :/ I went back to Clinique, and the lady there was useless, still wanted to sell me the same foundation they sold me last time.

As always, I have done a lot of research online, but I guess I'm just not using the right search terms or something, as I can't find answers to these problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

I hear you , I'm 65 n worried about the extra skin! Rosa I have, need to see dermatologist for some metro cream, cheap n works. Foundations I don't know, can really make things worse. I would see what a dermatologist suggest,
    Bras , can you do a dart? Make sure no lace, adds to the problem.

Getting older isn't easy, went to a luncheon the othe day , someone at the table asked " anybody having bladder problems "? Answer at the same time " only when I stand" . Gayle Minneapolis
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @Lisa_Ookoo we could be twins! My husband is on me to gain some weight back. I eat 2400 calories just to stop losing.
    @Akgramma cute grandbaby!
    @LaceyBirds darn about your breasts. Mine too. I just wear a formed cup bra and hope it doesn't collapse. Yikes, it happens and sheesh...
  • angsundliebe
    angsundliebe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Im 24 vut my mom is 61 and has been into fitness her whole life, she gained weight due to stress and menopause. She says its a lot harder for her to loose the weight and she had to switch up routines for workouts during the weeks so her body didnt get too used to any one workout. She said calorie counting and heart pounding workouts have been helping her loose it and she does some weights for her arms so they dont sag. Good luck!
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    dsmith1358 wrote: »
    So glad to have found this group. I'm 10 yrs post menopause and have gained considerable weight over the years. To hear of other post menopausal women who've experienced success gives me hope. I have so many other menopause symptoms that it's overwhelming and often feel my weight is out of my control. It is encouraging to hear of women who've had success.

You can do it. I reached control at 63. Join us that way, too. :smiley:
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    marjtrewin wrote: »
    Oops!! Went away for 4 days - came back 2kg heavier. A lesson learnt. We don't have to eat every biscuit and sweet in sight. Get a bit annoyed at myself as at 63 I'd like to think I was sensible and able to say enough. MFP helps to get back on track. At least we understand and can share similar shortcomings. Have lost 15g so far

I just had a week where I ate at maintenance, eating back all exercise calories, and went up 4 lbs over 5 days. I thought, maybe I should stop eating 'em all back. But I didn't, and went down 5 lbs overnight.

So you now know not to eat every biscuit and sweet in sight (use the phone app!!), but may find the weight drops down fairly quickly.
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    mk2loser wrote: »
    Welcome @dsmith1358 ! Lots of great ladies here! @marjtrewin, do you run? Or maybe some other kind of exercise where you are tough on your feet? Sometimes when I run, my feet get a little mad at me. Other times, it happens when I "run" during exercise videos on the stupid concrete floor in my garage. I just take off my shoes and put my (happy) feet up! Seems to help.

What about getting one of those heavy-duty kitchen mats for your concrete floor?
    Something like this
    http://www.costco.com/Novaform-Home-24"-x-60"-Kitchen-Mat.product.100097539.html
    I don't know if this is the brand I got at Costco, but mine is more than an inch thick, and I can run in place on it barefoot.
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »

First, along with my breasts seriously sagging after about a current 80 pound weight loss, they have absolutely no volume at the top - all tissue appears to be gone except for the bottoms. Right now I'm about a 38C, and need new bras. The ones I bought a few months ago are too big. The problem is that, once I use a crane to lift them up into the cups, the tops of the cups pooch terribly - there's nothing to fill them. ... I just have no clue what to do to fill up the top of the cup - my bras look truly awful under tee-type tops which I wear a lot.

I'm no good for makeup questions, but, as another woman with low-hanging flaps, I'd suggest that you try some sports bras. Many of those go for compression rather than cups. So you put it on, then pull the flesh upward until it's more or less where you want it. :) Many of them rise too high for V-necks, but they're fine under T-shirts.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thank you Gayle, mk2loser and Janet for the advice. I really do think it's time I went to a dermatologist and at least find out if this is rosacea too, so thanks for the info, Gayle. I didn't think about sports bras, Janet, that's a great idea, thanks for sharing. Yeah, mk, I've thought about buying some baseballs and sticking them in the formed cups to fill them up, but . . . :D At this point, if I had some money, I would seriously consider some type of breast lift surgery, but alas, I am poor, so have to come up some other plans.

Any other advice is welcome. :)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    LaceyBirds, You can also do chest exercises that develop the muscles near the breasts, it does help some to give a little lift. The sports bras should work also.

As for your skin, do you eat many tomatoes, eggplants, onion and garlic? They all can cause rosacea type symptoms. I don't have it but a friend does and she has cut back on all of those and her skin is in much better condition these days. Also the saggy skin will firm a tad bit after a few months, anything helps at our age :)

The main thing is to stay at a healthy weight for your height and be as fit and healthy as possible. It is all good.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Mikilou, Welcome to our group and congrats on the weight loss. What else might help is watching your sugar intake (it shows up in the most unlikely of places). Also, it you can do it try adding some weight training to your workouts; it will help add some muscle which will burn calories. Start out light and eventually work yourself up to heavier weights, and form is more important than the weight you lift. There are several books out there (on-line and in most book stores). Good luck. B)
  • marjtrewin
    marjtrewin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Mikilou - share your sentiments. I have lost 3kgs so far, promised myself I will never be this heavy again. My next step is sugar, going to have to go cold turkey. Started April this year
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    marjtrewin, Good luck, and if you mess up forget abt it and get back on the wagon!! B)
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    NewMeee, you might want to try finding a locally-owned gym (rather than a chain). They are usually a little more user-friendly and the owner is usually a trainer or has one on staff. I go to one that is about seven miles from the house, they have yearly memberships and month to month options for those over 50. If you need guidance they are more than willing to assist you @ no extra charge (like some of the chains). Do a Google search for gyms in your area and check them out. Good luck. B)

I second this. I was matched with a trainer at a local fitness studio, and it's been great. I feel very lucky we're such a good personality match. I fill in the other days a week with my (very inexpensive) Planet Fitness membership, and my trainer gives me tips on what I can do there.

Years ago, I was matched with a trainer at a larger gym (chain) and she was fine, but not that invested in me.
    nxd10 wrote: »
    I hit my goal of losing 40 pounds more than 3 years ago and just finished my 1400 day of logging every single meal. I'm back to my slim, healthy college weight. I'm 57 now and feel much better having lost the weight. Sadly, my students (I'm a professor) and others treat me much better - more respect, more attention - than they have for years. And they think I'm much younger. Because I'm 5'10", the weight always sat well on me, so this surprised me.

Sad, indeed, that you are treated much better with your smaller frame. This is one of my many motivations to lose weight. (And it's right in my profile). I want to be taken seriously at work, and I know losing weight have an impact on that.
  • SugarDarlin1959
    SugarDarlin1959 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Joined a gym today. Until it closed last summer I was a member of Snap Fitness and worked out with a PT and really loved it! MY PT was once the state bodybuilding champ. He moved away and I joined Planet Fitness but I hardly ever went because I felt overwhelmed by the size and there were guys who just kinda hung around the weights, just never felt comfortable. Today I joined Focus Fitness, costs the same as Snap, little more than PF but I feel at home there. It is owned by a sweet Christian couple. I signed up for PT once a week starting tomorrow. Hoping this will help get into a good groove of exercising more consistently. My eating is a work in progress. Sometimes I just start over but that's better than giving up.
  • Akgramma
    Akgramma Posts: 66 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @ SugarDarlin1959 - sounds like you have made a great plan and have acted on it! Good for you!! My eating is also a work in progress, but definitely keeping at it is much better than giving up!
  • mk2fit
    Options
    @JanetMMcC, yikes on the cost of the mat! I do have a "yoga" mat, maybe that would work?
  • mk2fit
    Options
    Kudos to all of you who have the determination to actually go to a gym! I think the closest gym to me is probably 15 miles+ and the closest pool is more than 20 miles away. If I had to go to a gym to exercise, I would still weigh 190! All my exercise is free at home. I bought a cheap elliptical at WalMart and a rowing machine on line. Of course, I am at the mercy of the weather for running/walking.
  • SugarDarlin1959
    SugarDarlin1959 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    mk2loser wrote: »
    Kudos to all of you who have the determination to actually go to a gym! I think the closest gym to me is probably 15 miles+ and the closest pool is more than 20 miles away. If I had to go to a gym to exercise, I would still weigh 190! All my exercise is free at home. I bought a cheap elliptical at WalMart and a rowing machine on line. Of course, I am at the mercy of the weather for running/walking.

I would love to go to a pool too but the nearest one is 25 miles away. I am too embarrassed to put on a swimsuit. Bought men's board shorts for kayaking this summer.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!