Do "waist belts" actually help?

Options

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    jodidari wrote: »
    Mine helps , I use it while exercising and it really helps me sweat. More than I saw without it at least but I've heard of wrapping plastic around your waist or jogging in a sweater for that effect Haven't worn it in a while though because it restricted some of my lateral movements. It definitely helped me to be more aware of my posture and now i'm constantly adjusting .
    Never, ever in a billion years will something like this help with weight loss... It's highly dangerous.
    Sweat does not equal weight/fat loss, I'm afraid...

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Mine helps , I use it while exercising and it really helps me sweat. More than I saw without it at least but I've heard of wrapping plastic around your waist or jogging in a sweater for that effect. Haven't worn it in a while though because it restricted some of my lateral movements. It definitely helped me to be more aware of my posture and now i'm constantly adjusting .

It is simply dehydrating one area on the body and that is temporary. There are also health risks: http://livehealthy.chron.com/sweat-bands-work-losing-waist-inches-9558.html
  • actualbettycrocker
    actualbettycrocker Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Mine helps , I use it while exercising and it really helps me sweat. More than I saw without it at least but I've heard of wrapping plastic around your waist or jogging in a sweater for that effect. Haven't worn it in a while though because it restricted some of my lateral movements. It definitely helped me to be more aware of my posture and now i'm constantly adjusting .

It is simply dehydrating one area on the body and that is temporary. There are also health risks: http://livehealthy.chron.com/sweat-bands-work-losing-waist-inches-9558.html

" If you choose not to hydrate in an attempt to maintain the weight lost, your blood chemistry may alter due to reduced blood volume and you may be at increased risk of heat strain. Your body may feel weak -- even during gentle exercise. And in very extreme cases, dehydration can even cause death."

THAT'S. HORRIFYING. WHAT.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options

" If you choose not to hydrate in an attempt to maintain the weight lost, your blood chemistry may alter due to reduced blood volume and you may be at increased risk of heat strain. Your body may feel weak -- even during gentle exercise. And in very extreme cases, dehydration can even cause death."

You also read the part about it being useless, right?
  • actualbettycrocker
    Options

Yeah? I knew it was useless, had no idea it was potentially dangerous.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Yeah? I knew it was useless, had no idea it was potentially dangerous.

Those electrolyte imbalances from dehydration are a *kitten*.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Does anything that Khloe Kardashian advertises on her instagram acount work? No.

Do not buy into stuff endorsed by those hack celebrities. I've heard of people using corset training to tighten their waists but that sounds expensive and painful. If anything, your safest bet is some good ole fashion healthy eating--NOT DIET-- and exercise.
  • 626javier101
    626javier101 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    They work pretty good for mr
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No just no.
  • fitnessjustin01
    fitnessjustin01 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have a belt but I rarely use it. I used it more for when I was working on a new lift for form. It helped me pay attention more to my back. Overall you don't want to rely on it.
  • actualbettycrocker
    edited May 2016
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    *sigh* We're going in circles now. By all means, continue to insist on your right to be offended by words.

As for your reputation, your posts here have been entertaining so I'll be sure to check out what amusing things you have to say in other threads.

??????? People aren't allowed to be offended by words ??????

Have fun! o:)

Children are by all means, but adults are capable of realizing and accepting that we all share seperate and quite different opinions. What separates us from being children is acception others opinions without taking personal offence to them. We gave you direct no beating around the bush answers, at no point did anyone condescend you, make comments towards your intelligence, or straight up attack you. You simple heard an answer you weren't hoping to hear and were overcome with frustration as the realization that you'll have to actually work for your goals set in.

Wow please point out where I was frustrated that I would have to work for my goals? Can you please point out where any of that actually happened and isn't just something you came up with off the top of your head? Can you point out where I defended the waist trainer? Please go right ahead and tell me where any of that happened.

To try an invalidate the work someone has put toward their lifestyle change (two and a half incredible months so far) because you think that's what you got from their argument (without reason) is upfront an *kitten* move.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Wuhbye wrote: »
    I have a belt but I rarely use it. I used it more for when I was working on a new lift for form. It helped me pay attention more to my back. Overall you don't want to rely on it.

Nah man she wasn't talking about a lifting belt for squatting or deadlifting. But a waist slimmer belt meant to reduce water weight and compress the lower abdomen creating the appearance of becoming slimmer.

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Then why the aggressive responses towards everyone who replied saying that the belt doesn't work? Also we've been asking you to clarify which statement is condescending and to explain why you feel it is, yet you've continued to refuse. I'm literally just here for the show hun.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    do you guys type kitten or does it automatically appear if you type certain words?
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    p.s are you guys not fed up of the back and forth yet?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Doesn't work. Wearing thick clothing while working out will make one sweat. Wearing tight clothing for a long period of time doesn't make anyone skinnier. We see that out in the world daily.
    So good thing it only cost you $6.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    do you guys type kitten or does it automatically appear if you type certain words?

I was wondering the same thing. It's kind of irritating. I assume it's a system replacement but the first couple of times I read it I thought it was the poster trying to be cutesy.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    This is still going on?