Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    @flabflipper314 - That's me! Your friggin' ray of sunshine! LOL

Do as much as you can - I know that if i wasn't able to get up and move that this would be an extremely difficult challenge. I am thankful that I have that choice and hope that whatever it is that is holding you down can be fixed!

I read an article years ago about a study someone did about how many calories a person burns just by fidgeting. I recall it because I was laughing about how many calories my mom and I must burn because we are constantly wiggling our toes - even when we are asleep. I know I do this because I wear thin spots in the bed sheets.

Remembering that set me to wondering if doing seated excersizes would help your cause - maybe some upper body stuff with some light weights, stretching and such? I'm a rather good chair dancer if the right music is on... I'm trying to think of things that dont require you to get up on your feet, but would still burn some calories. Do you use a wheelchair at all? Would you consider doing so to get out a little more? I imagine that moving yourself around in the chair would burn some extra calories as well. I'm no expert, just throwing things at the wall to see what might stick!

As for those non-scale victories - I just took my measurements to try to figure out what size clothes to order from a catalog and realized I've lost two inches off my hips since the beginning of March. Now if I could just get the waist to follow suit!
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Niki the article was very informative and I could see parts of me in some of the sections. I tend to be an emotional eater at times. Going forward I will remember to think before I eat and to realize that my emotions are fueling my desire for food. That happened to me yesterday. I went to a friends house for lunch and to meet her fiancé, who was visiting from California. She is moving in June. Please understand that I was not feeling well yesterday, very tired, headache etc. When I arrived at lunch and realized that everyone she invited was a couple many newlyweds. I just wanted to cry since I am still single and it still bugs me, even through I know it shouldn't let it. It also didn't help that this would have been the last lunch/ event at her house. Needless to say, I could not wait to leave and get home. By the time I got home, my head was splitting and I was very tired. I ended up eating a lot of junk food then napping. It was a long night. I was not hungry, just trying to make myself feel better. Needless to say it did not work since I did not feel better. I was just overstuffed. The only positive from last night was I did go out for a walk in the rain.

Weight loss is a journey and as we loss weight our bodies will fight us since they like to stay the same and will resist change. This is one of the reasons that our bodies adapt to a regime and we need to change things up occasionally. I was talking to my trainer recently about going back to doing the things I did when I first started this journey since they worked for me and right now nothing seems to be working. Granted, I am talking about doing the things I did about 5 years ago. She told me that I don't want to go backwards since those tricks will no longer work for me. I need to move forward and to challenge my body more often. So now, we are working on strength training but in combination with movements and I suppose to do 4 hours of cardio on the weekends. It is helping but there are times when the hours just don't work for me. From what I can figure out, we need to change up the routine to keep our bodies guessing.

This should be another busy week for me but hopefully it will be productive.
    Sunday- GYM workout Done
    Monday- trainer
    Tuesday- after school meeting maybe a walk
    Wednesday-day off- exercise in the morning then Blue Angels performance
    Thursday- Day off- exercise or bike ride
    Friday- Climbing
    Saturday- bike ride

I hope everyone has a great week.

• AlyssaAnne03
    AlyssaAnne03 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Scale said I'm down 2.6pounds from last weekend :)
    I need to do measurements
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Lauriek70 wrote: »
    Niki the article was very informative and I could see parts of me in some of the sections. I tend to be an emotional eater at times. ....

Weight loss is a journey and as we loss weight our bodies will fight us since they like to stay the same and will resist change.

Laurie ... back when my son was just a teenager and I was only 40 pounds over my ideal weight he made a kid-type comment about my weight one time (I was always on a diet so the food topic was frequent) ... he said something along the lines of "well, at least if we have a famine I won't have to worry that you will die cause you have extra on your body to live off of". This was around the time he was learning human biology and had just learned that the body is always trying to keep itself safe. I only wish that it was still only 40 pounds that I needed to lose instead of twice that amount.
  • TrueQuest
    TrueQuest Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I've been using MFP since 2014 on and off. I was at 245 in November last year now I'm at 273! So I'm back and want to lose 105lbs. I have an issue with food - compulsive eating. I hope to get some support. Add me as a friend and send me words of encouragement or ur success stories. I really hope I can lose this weight! It's been a stuggle since I was a teen. My highest ever weight was 290 and I'm nearly there again
  • christihubbart
    christihubbart Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It's Monday! I'm checking in, my scale went down today! I've lost 24lbs, want to lose 20 more, or more would be great too!
  • Nikion901
    Options
    A good Monday article from MFP's Hello Healthy blog came into my Facebook account today ... thought some of you might benefit from reading it also ...
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/what-causes-a-weight-loss-plateau/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=Facebook
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy International Day to End Obstetric Fistula!

”If my heart could do my thinking, and my head begin to feel,
    I would look upon the world anew, and know what’s truly real.”
    ~Van Morrison[/ u]

11857432.png

Tom
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Not a great weekend for me. We're expanding the deck, and all of the crap that was out there wound up in the kitchen, making it a pain in the tuchus to cook or clean in there. And about the only think I could be motivated to do was eat, stitch, binge-watch Bojack Horseman, and play Fallout. But today the sun is out and the temperature is nice, so I went for my walk before lunch. I did my usual 4 laps, and still felt like there was some juice in the tank, so I did 2 more - which equals a 5K! And when I added up the numbers on the "100 Days/100 Miles" challenge for work, I'm at 212 miles total. Back in February, I couldn't imagine that I'd be willingly doing that level of exercise for any reason short of Guantanamo-style water torture.
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    @badnoodle - you are sooo funny! Hah! I had a successful day yesterday too, unlike my normal Sunday which is usually practically comatose, I got up in time to go to church, I ate then took a nap, then got up and mowed the yard (riding mower) for more than an hour. Then I made dinner (warmed up the roast my sister made for us on Friday) and had a glass of wine. Took the dog for a walk and got in 1.57 miles (MMF). Got to bed really early (1:30) and slept for 10 hours! Wow, I felt sooo good when I got up today! Food wasn't too great (should have tracked first before having the wine and some other things) but I burned around 500 calories in activity so I feel pretty good about my day. Now, to be more consistent, then maybe I can stop going UP and start going DOWN!
    Tracy
    TX
  • celtikgirl
    Options
    Yay! I got back to the gym today! And I didn't die! I didn't get there at all last week, and any working out I did was in the form of yard work and walking while shopping. In another month or so it will be time to get down to business on training for the half in October. Losing weight since last year has helped my time a little, but even though my comfortable pace is better, it still isn't where I need it to be if I want to keep up with the rest of my team. Time to get the calendar out and start making a plan!
  • flabflipper314
    flabflipper314 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    celtikgirl wrote: »
    @flabflipper314 - That's me! Your friggin' ray of sunshine! LOL

Do you use a wheelchair at all? Would you consider doing so to get out a little more? I imagine that moving yourself around in the chair would burn some extra calories as well. I'm no expert, just throwing things at the wall to see what might stick!

As for those non-scale victories - I just took my measurements to try to figure out what size clothes to order from a catalog and realized I've lost two inches off my hips since the beginning of March. Now if I could just get the waist to follow suit!

Hey, congrats on your measurements!! That's great!

And thanks for the suggestions. The only time I use a wheelchair is when I have to go to a hospital or doctor's office that is a far way from the parking garage. I have a friend who drives me and pushes the wheelchair, then if it looks like it's going to be a pain to get the wheelchair around something or if it's just a bit further to go, then I get out and just use my walker. My biggest problem with going places is that my knees are so bad that the bones have fused together. My knees don't bend at all. It's very difficult to get in to most cars when my knees won't bend. I joke that if they made a video, I would look like some sort of contortionist. lol I can't drive anymore because ther is no room to get my straight legs under the dash and my right leg has to bend at least a bit to be able to control the pedals. Then once I'm in the car, I have to have a lot of pillows under my legs so that I just don't have to hold them up the whole trip.

Well, that's enough about my sob story. lol I just wanted to thank you for the ideas. I have tried to get up and walk to the back bedroom during the day instead of asking my husband to get what I need and I've tried to do some things in the kitchen even if I have to do just a little, sit down for a bit and the get up later and finish.

Thanks, celtik!
  • flabflipper314
    Options
    TrueQuest wrote: »
    Hey everyone. I've been using MFP since 2014 on and off. I was at 245 in November last year now I'm at 273! So I'm back and want to lose 105lbs. I have an issue with food - compulsive eating. I hope to get some support. Add me as a friend and send me words of encouragement or ur success stories. I really hope I can lose this weight! It's been a stuggle since I was a teen. My highest ever weight was 290 and I'm nearly there again

15 years ago was my highest. I was 405. I'm 240 now, but have been as low as 175, but I've been heavy most of my life even as a grade school kid, gaining and losing all my life. Many of us have compulsive eating problems. I think we REALLY need to hang on to each other so we don't feel so alone in this. You did the best thing by coming back. Good for you!
  • flabflipper314
    Options
    Scale said I'm down 2.6pounds from last weekend :)
    I need to do measurements
    Wooohooo! You go girl!
  • flabflipper314
    Options
    I might be back later. Keep up the good work everyone! I'm happy to be here!
  • Nikion901
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't know if anyone else on here follows a guy named James Clear, a motivational couch I get emails from a couple of times a week and a website. This morning had a god one .. it's very applicable to all sorts of things, including weight loss and is titled " The 3 Stages of Failure in Life and Work (and how to fix them). Here are the 3 stages ... see if they ring a bell.

The 3 Stages of Failure

This framework helps clarify things by breaking down challenges into three stages of failure:

Stage 1 is a Failure of Tactics. These are HOW mistakes. They occur when you fail to build robust systems, forget to measure carefully, and get lazy with the details. A Failure of Tactics is a failure to execute on a good plan and a clear vision.
    Stage 2 is a Failure of Strategy. These are WHAT mistakes. They occur when you follow a strategy [/b]that fails to deliver the results you want. You can know why you do the things you do and you can know how to do the work, but still choose the wrong what to make it happen.
    Stage 3 is a Failure of Vision. These are WHY mistakes. They occur when you don’t set a clear direction for yourself, follow a vision that doesn’t fulfill you, or otherwise fail to understand why you do the things you do.
    (read more on JamesClear.com)
    NY Niki
  • jotremba1
    jotremba1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Been using the MFP on and off for a few years. Lost 25# last time I actively used it, and felt great! Only had another 50 to go for my goal weight...
    But I'm up 40# from that last weigh in around a year ago. I'm 10# shy of my fully 9-mo-pregnant weight of my 2nd (and heaviest) pregnancy, and would love any motivation you can throw at me. My kids are 10 and 7 now, and in as many sports as they can handle. Making me the chauffeur and #1 fan in the bleachers. Great for their confidence, not so great for my weight. Any tips that I can fit into our hectic schedules?
    Thanks!
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Good Morning.

Sorry I’ve been MIA for so long, prepping for that software certification exam was time consuming. The test was Friday and I PASSED! :joy: I’m glad that is finally behind me. I’ve missed a ton of posts; I’m not even going to attempt to catch up with them.

@Karen and @Laurie~ I’m sure you two are crazy busy with grading a gearing up for the end of the school year. I know this is the last week of school for my nephews—a lot of excitement at my sister’s house these days as they are all headed to Disney next week. :smiley:

Welcome to all of the newlings that have stopped by, hope you stick around as this is a great place for support and encouragement.

AFM~There isn’t much to report, the last two weeks has been just really crazy and stressful. The test is behind me, so now onto the next phase. Unfortunately not much in the way of activity but I’ve eaten fairly well, so at least my weight has stayed the same. Now that life has returned to normal, I should be able to get back to the gym and back out on my bike (if the weather cooperates—stormy forecast this week :frowning:). Work for the next month will be busy too, the budget is due in June and I have to have my portion done before I go out for my second ankle surgery on June 24th. :confounded:
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Asparagus Day!

”We always think we'd be happier in some faraway place, as if you could catch a plane to a state of mind.” ~Robert Brault

11857432.png

Tom
  • celtikgirl
    Options
    I believe I have made all of those tactical errors, at least once, and usually in large combinations. It's a good thing to keep in mind and learn to recognize.

IT DIDN'T RAIN TODAY! And on that note, I'm leaving this machine to go play outside!