WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2016

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,956 Member
    Options
    I tried to check on Sylvia and found that she hasn't even logged onto MFP for 14 days. I sent her a message that she'll see when she logs on again.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,760 Member
    Options
    Joyce ... Charlie's "love language" is different ... But the love is there.

Pip ... Happy Belated Birthday!

Beth near Buffalo
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,069 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Irish Terri You are a poet! Lovely poem!

Joyce Your stories about Charlie and karaoke made me tear up a little. What Beth near Buffalo said.

Barbie Thank you - I have looked at some heavy lifting videos now, thanks to the info you provided, and am thinking about finding a trainer to help me get started. I don't have room for a big weight set at home but could do it in a gym. I want the benefits but don't want to get hurt. (Duh)

Marcella I love cello and am in awe of you picking it up on your own. Takes gumption!

Off to the doctor today for first weigh-in since starting over AGAIN on this journey to become fit & healthy.

<3 to all,

Karen in Virginia

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Michelle in NC – Wearing black or white to a wedding is viewed by most as not proper attire to wear. You don't want to outshine the bride on her special day. Most people won’t wear ‘garish’ colors or prints to wear to a funeral (or even to a wedding), IMHO! I plan on getting in the pool if I can. Granddaughter and her half-sister are going to spend a week together; then they are going up to TN to pick up the youngest sister too; who the middle one has not seen in 2 years since her Daddy got her via DFACS. Her Dad agreed that she could come and spend time with here, provided that she not take her to Albany. “No problem there.”

Barbiecat – That is who I thought Mary from Minnesota was. Hope she’ll be back soon!

Margaret – You can come stick your green thumb into my plants any time you want to. Your yard is beautiful.

Got to do some 'major' cleaning today; as the appraiser is coming to appraise the house on Friday. It's not as bad as it seems; it is the starting it that is difficult. Bed already made, so that is one room that is almost finished. Second bedroom is fairly straight. Now to go tackle it.

Lenora
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Barbie ~ My email (google) always tells me when I have a message waiting. I hope Sylvia is OK. She has been through so much!

Going to the 4 yr old's graduation from Pre-K today. I will be 68 in August and hope to live to see the two loves of my life grow up.

I have been doing really well with my no wine drinking but still have problems getting to sleep. The Dr. prescribed that new sleep aid, Belsomra, and I tried it last night but still couldn't go to sleep for almost 2 hours.

Carol
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Irish, Terri, you are such a talent. We're so glad to have you share with us. Thank you so much for your encouragement. I appreciate it.

Janetr okc
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,956 Member
    Options

Barbie Thank you - I have looked at some heavy lifting videos now, thanks to the info you provided, and am thinking about finding a trainer to help me get started. I don't have room for a big weight set at home but could do it in a gym. I want the benefits but don't want to get hurt. (Duh)

Karen in Virginia
    :) the thing about "heavy lifting" is that it is relative.....I do deadlifts with 60 pounds and Mary does them with well over 100 pounds...the point is to lift the heaviest that you can lift....starting with a trainer is a good idea....I worked with a trainer for over a year in my 30's and learned a lot that is still useful to me now. I can't fit working out at a gym into my schedule or budget but the weight set at home has been perfect for me.

i5d3493un1ji.jpg
    My dumbbells look like this at 20 pounds with the extra 5 pound plates stored on the floor of the coat closet nearby. I can increase each dumbbell to 50 pounds.

<3 Barbie

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: What a wonderful and romantic thing for Charlie to do! :heart:

Gloria: It is so good to hear from you! I hope you'll be online on a regular basis soon. Is this a recent picture? You look wonderful! :flowerforyou:

TerriRichardson: Your poem is wonderful and insightful. Thank you for sharing. :smiley:

Barbie: I've also tried to contact Sylvia with no response. I hope this means she's busy and happy, and not that there has been another medical situation. :star:

I have a dental appointment this morning for a check up and tooth cleaning and currently have less than half an hour to get there. No worries about travel time. It is a short distance from home. I slept last night without being disturbed by Jabba the Hut but I see him sleeping on the end of the dock closest to the river channel this morning. I wonder about playing John Phillips Sousa marches into his ear as payback. I don't think the neighbors would like that. Years ago we had a neighbor with a barking dog. The dog's kennel was just on the property line, about 10 feet from our bedroom window and the dog barked all night. DH set up a speaker on our side of the fence that was aimed at the kennel, and a microphone that picked up the dog's own barking. When she barked, the stereo system barked right back at her. After a few nights, the neighbors kept her inside at night. I don't htink we have the resources to do this to the sea lion, but it would be nice to give him payback. On the other hand, he might be thrilled to have company--his own.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 341 Member
    Options

YEA it is Thursday!
    @jmkmomm – how totally wonderful married for 43 years! Congrats!!

@janetr7476 – hope you are having a good day!

@pipcd34 – sounds like you had a great day… and happy belated bday from me too!

@margaretturk – I really love the picture – ajuga hummmm very beautiful. Thanks for sharing that – I just love it!

@sherylk3 – welcome ….I too am pretty new to this group, but there are nothing but friendly warm people here…

Well – I am working a 9 hours shift today – no breaks, no lunch… so I will be back later to see how things are going with everyone! I do believe we are getting more rain this afternoon. I don’t mind it keeps the air fresh and the ground green!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Pamela June - what do you do for work that you work 9 hours without a break? Is that even legal? Can you tell tell I'm an old HR person? Lol

Thanks too for the encouragement. I'm trying to just focus on what I have control of, which is only myself.

Janetr okc
  • Katla49
    Options
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) the thing about "heavy lifting" is that it is relative.....I do deadlifts with 60 pounds and Mary does them with well over 100 pounds...the point is to lift the heaviest that you can lift....starting with a trainer is a good idea....I worked with a trainer for over a year in my 30's and learned a lot that is still useful to me now. I can't fit working out at a gym into my schedule or budget but the weight set at home has been perfect for me.

Well said. "Heavy lifting" is a weight you can't lift more than 10 times --or 8, or 6, depending whom you ask...the point of it being that you truly stress the muscle and force it to strengthen and grow. This is no mere "toning". :smiley: And this is a big deal, because one of the main differences between a 20-year-old body and a 50-year-old body is muscle mass.

I've been lifting "heavy" since 1982, with breaks here and there for life events.
    When I first started, I was a rower in college. Since I turned 35 or so, I worked with a trainer for about six months every few years, and found that very helpful. With my injury and surgeries, I took three years off from lifting consistently, and when I went back, I signed up with a trainer whom I still work with once a week (depending on my income flow :wink:). People tell me, with my experience, I don't need a trainer. Umm, my trainer has a trainer. Just sayin. Not all the time, of course, but for "tune ups". :smile:

A little anecdote about lifting, strengthening, and aging:
    When I first approached a pull-down cable machine at 19, I pulled down 70 lbs. Six months later, I was pulling 165 lbs in sets of 10, and from there, I graduated to actual pull-ups, since my weight was 175-180 (at 5'11").
    When I went back to the gym post surgery, at age 50, I walked up to the pull-down machine and pulled...70 lbs.
    I thought, "Cool, okay, I'm still me." Huh. Well. It's been two years, and I can now, finally, pull down 120 lbs in sets of 4... and I weigh 203. I've targeted next summer for being able to do actual pull-ups.

But like the lady says:
    csofled wrote: »
    0ptwfjpyaf95.jpg

Cheers!
    Larisa in Seattle
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA – Thanks for the suggestions. I do make myself log and “start over” immediately. Unfortunately, there’s never anything left to put in the trash.

Beth – I’ve never heard of the meal enders. I will see if I can find some. Thanks!

Katla – Thank you for the reminder to be kind to myself. I really needed to hear that.

Does anyone else ever feel like they’ve momentarily “forgotten” that they’re on this journey by putting something in their mouth before they really realize they’ve done it? I’ve GOT to stop that. It is a total head slap moment that can’t be undone. I guess it’s just going to take me longer to completely ingrain that in my brain.

Y’all are making me feel guilty with all of the talk about colonoscopies. When I had mine at 50 it was clear, but my grandfather died from colon cancer so I’m supposed to be on the five year plan. I’m 56 ½ and haven’t had another one done. *sigh* I resolve to call my doctor and get the appropriate referral and find out how much my insurance will pay.

I’m feeling bone weary again. I really could use a weekend (actually a couple of weeks) away but don’t have the money to do so. Maybe after the boy child leaves for work next week, I will be able to relax more at home and get my solitude. I’m planning to visit my parents the first weekend in June but that won’t be restful. I’ll spend some time with my grandnieces and plan to attend the Annual Livermush Festival while I’m there. The Livermush Festival should be much healthier than the Doughnut event they had last weekend!

I, too am missing Sylvia.

Miriam - I do so hope you're reading even if you're not posting.

Gloria - So glad to see your face! Hope things settle down for you soon.

Happy belated birthday, Pip! You're older than me now--for about six months!

I'm off to get some more work done. It's eleven days past the due date for newsletter information and I just got the last bit of it from the pastor. It's a good think I like him!

:heart: Carol in NC
  • Katla49
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,745 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~ well we go from 50's do darn close to 90 within a week,,, i am just sitting down now after trotting around this morning. went up to dads, brought him the cake, did a couple of things there... he was still sleeping, stopped at Wally world and bought myself a couple more shirts and a pair of capri's ,then went and got my hair cut.. came back the other way to check on dad, and he had already had 2 pieces and was on his 3rd of the cake :wink: the man can put stuff away and not gain an ounce.... got the print out for the flights, and will contact Delta to make sure there are wheelchairs at every stop... then stopped at grocery store to pick up egg noodles for Toms dinner tonight and then mowed the lawn... sitting and having at least 24 oz of water...
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    @janettr - Yea...working 9 hours is not legal... and they are not forcing me...it is just one of those things....no one to cover for me (I have such an important position.....after all WHO else could answer a phone?!!!) .... so I am trying to take that 'extra' step to be an team player - This only happens once in a while - so I figure I can handle it!