WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2016

Options

Replies

• lisabridwell
    lisabridwell Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone on your advice on how to use this community! I learned several things that I didn't know!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Pip, you could keep us entertained all day long with your pics of your kids.

Came home at a more decent hour, 9 PM, so more rested and decided to get on my desk top. I had not looked at my email since Thursday night so I had a pile to just delete.

Charlie for the first time this evening put a TV show on and watched it and made comments about it so he is getting back to his usual self. His ostomy is really working well but right now it is only liquid and he is disappointed at that but the man is hardly eating. Eat liquids only, get liquid out.

My daughter is going back home tomorrow at lunch time. Have really enjoyed my time with her but my heavens when my 2 girls are together you would think they are in preschool with all the antics that come out of those 2. Finally I told them that they ARE going out to supper and I was staying there and would enjoy the peace and quiet. And they did and we did. Now when it is just 1 with me, it is just normal talk. But the other walks in and the circus has arrived. So tomorrow it will be just Michelle after Christina leaves and it will be quieter. The day after surgery the first thing Michelle did was to say can I see your stoma. Christina wants nothing to do with it.

Wi-fi was the pits at the hospital so I couldn't keep in touch.

Nite, nite, Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Cheri: Best wishes for a successful job search for your DH and an end to "limbo" for both of you. :flowerforyou:

Becca: Your food photos are great. The berries and oatmeal is gorgeous & so is the quinoa salad. Making the individual portion sized lasagna is brilliant. :star:

Michele: Rhododendrons and Azaleas are in a family that includes evergreen and deciduous varieties. They come in a lovely array of colors. You might put deciduous Azaleas in front of evergreen Rhodies. Azaleas are more likely to stay low to the ground and might be what you are looking for. Rhodies can get very big if they aren't pruned to keep them in check, but there are some varieties that stay smaller than others. This would be a good time of year to go to a nursery that grows both and see how lovely they are. I have two Rhodies, one on either side of my front door. One of them always blooms before the other and I end up having flowers for Mother's Day from one plant and Memorial Day from the other plant most years. They do need attention to stay within their space and some need to be "deadheaded" for a better appearance when the blooms finish & go brown. They both bloom in spring and are simple evergreen broad leafed shrubs the rest of the time. Look below for a photo I found online. :wink:

Pip: I can't imagine being without a dog, either, although we prefer one at a time. Our first Keeshond died suddenly and unexpectedly from a bee sting, and I started looking for a pup right away. I was still working at the time and DH had already retired and was home alone way too much. The new pup was a major blessing for him. We've had our current guy nine years now, and he is in excellent health. I still miss our first Keeshond, Sucia. She was a corker. The current guy is sweet as can be, fabulous with the grandchildren, and able to get along with every dog he meets. She had an Alpha personality and he has an Omega personality. :bigsmile:

I went down and sat in the sailboat for a while this afternoon. I miss it so much! I might go back and hang out again. Our friends have gone to a nearby anchorage to spend the holiday weekend together and I wish we were there, too. DH is not comfortable on the boat anymore and it breaks my heart. :broken_heart: I love horseback riding, which is my consolation prize, but I love the boat in a deep way that combines memories from decades of our married life and fun times. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

bg9eg0lvyre6.jpg
  • Katla49
    Options
    I just sent this to both of my adult children. I hope it n
    makes them smile.

When I'm an old lady, I'll live with each kid,
    And bring so much happiness just as they did.
    I want to pay back all the joy they've provided.
    Returning each deed! Oh, they'll be so excited!
    When I'm an old lady and live with my kids.
    I'll write on the walls with reds, whites and blues,
    And I'll bounce on the furniture wearing my shoes.
    I'll drink from the carton and then leave it out.
    I'll stuff all the toilets and oh, how they'll shout!
    When they're on the phone and just out of reach,
    I'll get into things like sugar and bleach.
    Oh, they'll snap their fingers and then shake their head,
    When they cook dinner and call me to eat,
    I'll not eat my green beans or salad or meat,
    I'll gag on my okra, spill milk on the table,
    And when they get angry I'll run if I'm able!
    I'll sit close to the TV, through channels I'll click,
    I'll cross both eyes just to see if they stick.
    I'll take off my socks and throw one away,
    And play in the mud 'til the end of the day!
    And later in bed, I'll lay back and sigh,
    I'll thank God in prayer and then close my eyes.
    My kids will look down with a smile slowly creeping,
    And say with a groan, "She's so sweet when she's sleeping!"
    -by Joanne Bailey Baxter
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,082 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,650 Member
    Options
    Katla - Love the poem!!!!
  • Igilchrist
    Igilchrist Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm Irene. Struggling with my percentages of carbs fats and proteins. I'm 66 years old. V
    I've been a yoyo dieter for a good 20 years. Hoping for motivation and support from this group.

I thought I had posted previously but can't seem to find it or responses. Help please!
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Welcome Irene! go to the top of the page and there will be a grey star, click on it and it will turn yellow and then we will be saved "bookmarked" and you can fine us again!

Kim
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,325 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hello Irene!
    I've never bothered with the micros, macros and all that. I just keep to my calorie allowance. I tend to eat "healthy" anyway, with fewer carbs and not much sugar at all. My downfall is salt, but I find it hard to cut it down.
    Welcome to the group. :flowerforyou:
    I am coming up to the anniversary (FOUR YEARS) since I started eating healthily and learning how to exercise. I have lost 57 pounds. Most importantly, I have kept it off for two and a half years. Maintenance, as you have found out, is much harder than losing it. For me the secret has been the discovery of this site and these incredible, sharing women. They keep me on the straight and narrow. I log every day still. I often do a "Quick Add" because I know all the calorie values off by heart, but I weigh everything, including bread. The other secret has been learning to exercise. I started very slowly. I always hated exercise, apart from swimming, as I hate getting sweaty, don't like the outdoors much and have terrible joints with a lot of aches and pains. My left knee and my right ankle were pretty much shot. These days I get through 600 calories of exercise every morning, mainly on three machines we keep in the spare bedroom. I do yoga one day a week at our local village hall. On top of the machines I do a short yoga/pilates type thing and ten minutes with dumbbells. I am lucky in that I am retired so can spend the time on it.
    This regime has changed my life and kept me slim. It enables me to keep my weight steady at 140 pounds, (5ft5ins)even though I am eating 1800 calories a day, which is very satisfying.
    I would not be able to restrict my eating down to the 1200 that some of these ladies are trying to deal with. More often than not, that results in rebound once you come "off the diet" as I have found many times before. Most people, even with busy jobs, are able to do 200+ calories by walking/cycling more, + 30 mins vigorous exercise etc. That gives you a more generous allowance. I have always eaten back my exercise calories and still lost 57 pounds. The maths work, if you work them. On holiday I make sure I walk a lot.
    I hope that is helpful. Sometimes it is helpful for us "old timers" to recap our history for the newbies. I was virtually crippled by my weight and immobility. I was old before my time. I loathed my body and what I had become.
    Now look at me! :laugh:

Now got to take my exercise partner up a cup of tea. :bigsmile:

Katla - Love the poem! I have copied it. :D Will certainly send it on.

Love Heather UK
  • Gloworm46
    Gloworm46 Posts: 96 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I can't remember who asked if I have internet at hosz1uu6frllsc.jpg
    me now but the answer is no. Just on more often this week as I am at friends or relatives with internet.

So much going on with everyone but am only sending a shout out to Karla for that awesome home. Couldn't you see Carole Burnett doing that as a skit?!

Yesterday I had the most wonderful massage thanks to my DDs who gave it to me for Mother's Day. When I was working I used to go periodically but hadn't had one in 5 yrs :( I had massage mush brain afterward and could not for the life of me remember the name of the street I live on (I had to write it down on the check I was writing at Costco because they still show my old address) and later realized I had put the name of the boys school instead of My street -duh.

The Dog and Cat play was cute but for those of us who are now a little hearing challenged the speakers could have been louder. I'm posting a pic of my little puppy below and heading off to bed. No big plans for tomorrow except for the goal I set for myself to shake the hand of any service member I see tomorrow and tell them how eternally grateful I am for their sacrifice for our country.

Have great Memorial Day everyone!

Gloria in sunny WA
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ✔️
  • Gloworm46
    Gloworm46 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ok so I just noticed the spell check changed Katla to Karla and poem to home. I'm using my Kindle instead of My laptop and it seems to have a mind of his own :#
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    My sis and niece got in late Saturday night, so we were still unloading at 9:30, didn't get back out to the ranch until 10:30 p.m., and they hadn't eaten all day, so we didn't get into bed until after midnight. Got them back on the road about 11 a.m. yesterday, got the bathroom sheetrock mudded and taped, and then back to the ranch, napped out for a bit and feel this morning like I might survive. Hate being foggy tired.

She definitely brought enough stuff for me to hold a sale in June, so will have to start thinking about that soon, since June is, oh, Tuesday. I have to be back in town this morning to take pictures at the Memorial Day ceremony, as long as it doesn't get rained out, then I'll just stay for the rest of the week, and the DH will come back out to the ranch. Sure has been nice to have him around for three days straight.

He's applied for a job at the wind farm a half hour out of town--wouldn't be as much money, but we've been talking a lot about how hard mechanicing is on his body. Crawling in and under engines is tough, and every day there's a new injury. He figures five more years of hard, physical work is all he's got left in him--and he's thinking about spending it in a new industry.

It would be hard to begin with, as he'd have to start at the bottom, but he always ends up working his way up quickly. He's a natural manager, and while he has it in his title here, it's more to avoid paying overtime than because they're letting him manage. Plus as a family-owned corporation, there's nowhere else to go in terms of promotion--he's as high up the chain as he'll get unless he transfers back out to their oilfield facilities. And he's done that bit, that's what he was doing when we met. We'll see what happens. At 47, he needs to switch now, as once there's a 5 in front of his age, I agree with the fact that corporations are much less likely to hire him for any reason, and very specifically not for hard, physical jobs.

Thank you to those of you who check for our people who are MIA, like Sylvia and Mary. It's so reassuring when we hear from them through whatever channel.

Joyce, glad Charlie's doing well. Hugs to those who need them, encouragement to the new ones, a smile for all the rest of you. :)

Got to get moving, get my editorial written for the week, shower before too long so I can change into something resembling professional clothing once I get there. Which, in West Texas, is jeans and boots. Breaks my heart. :wink:

Lisa in West Texas
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Gloworm46 wrote: »
    Ok so I just noticed the spell check changed Katla to Karla and poem to home. I'm using my Kindle instead of My laptop and it seems to have a mind of his own :#

@Gloworm46 Gloria Thank you! (I am not sure Katla actually believed me.) Mine changed her name to Kayla. I caught it in earlier posts but not the last couple. I have now turned off my autocorrect. :s

p.s. I loved the picture of your puppy. Thanks so much for posting it. He is adorable.

Karen in Virginia
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Monday! Blessed Memorial Day! Jumped on really quick before I head downtown for the parade and memorial day service. Grand Haven has the title of "Coast Guard City, USA", so we will have many Coasties and their ships in port. The service at Escanaba park is always somber, and well attended by the locals as many local men were lost when the Escanaba sank. Going to bike down and walk around for from place to place for the various services. I will prob stop at the vets memorial because the boy scouts and girl scouts always perform their tributes/ceremonies there. Beautiful day for it. My backside is a little tender this morning because of the bike ride I took yesterday. (Hear that, Pip? I am getting my bike time in!)
    Had a fire in our fire pit in the back yard and it was just my DYS and myself. I had six marshmallows, because how can I not? A nice evening by the fire, though. The stars were out and my son was laughing as I busied myself trying to find Mars. Good times. OH! And I found two little socks in my fire pit before I started my fire! Darn kids! LOL! Pretty sure I know whose they are though, the skull and crossbones design gives it away!
    Hope you all have a relaxing and thoughtful Memorial Day!
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Katla ~ What a cute poem! Thanks for sharing! :)

Happy Memorial Day to All!

Carol
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Katla49
    Options
    Irene: I see that Kim has already told you how to find us again. This is the last day of the month and Barbie will start a new thread for next month. She will post a link at the bottom of this thread and you can follow it to the new one. You'll need to bookmark the new one, too. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I monitor total calories carefully & pay attention to protein, fat and carbs but I'm not a slave to them. I'm generally at the low end of carbs and the high end of fat & protein. I feel good that way. :bigsmile:

Gloria: Everyone has typos. They sure can be frustrating. I am not a big fan of auto correct. I'm pleased that you're managing to touch bases more often. (((HUGS)))

Lisa: Good luck to your DH. :flowerforyou:

Karen: I believe you about spelling. At first I thought you figured I had a spelling error but I eventually catch on, though I'm sometimes slow. I turned off autocorrect on my computer long ago. Now it underlines what it considers a misspelling in red, but doesn't automatically change it. :devil:

KJLamore: I love the Coast Guard. They have rescued a lot of boaters in our area & we see their helicopters frequently. DS is active duty Army & my dad served in the Navy long ago. All of our service people deserve our thanks, including police and firefighters. :heart:

We have a beautiful morning here & I'm thinking about ways to add fun to the day. I'll talk some ideas over with DH and see what he thinks. Yesterday we had a long walk together along the riverfront. It was great.

Happy Memorial Day!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    happy memorial day one and all.... off for a hike with my hiking group.

Kim