Half Marathon Club (and training)

Options

Replies

• Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I'm about three weeks into my training for my September race and did 8 miles today! It went great and I felt like I could have kept going at that pace (just about 11 min miles) which means if I can keep that pace on race day I'll finish under 2:30 which is my hope! It's my first, which I know I should just aim for finishing, but it still would be nice to have a good finishing time!

Good weather does really make a difference. Last week it was way too hot, but today was amazing! I went earlier and I think that's going to be key this summer, especially on my long runs. Let's rock these 1/2's!!!!
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    started increasing my miles today - did just over 6 today and it was NOT miserable! Still a nice slow pace, but it's a big jump from walking! Hope everyone is doing well!
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yay i can join this club now! I ran my first half marathon yesterday! What an experience. Running is such a challenging sport and it takes alot to keep going. During the race the crowd really kept me going. And if I appeared to be struggling someone from the sidelines would say something encouraging or just scream and it helped me to push through. I wish I had my own personal cheer squad I could hire for every training run! I was under-prepared, and wasn't as strict as I should have been during training. But I pushed my body to it's LIMIT and finished in 2:42, which is about a 5mph pace. And now I am pumped to do a second half marathon this November (The Seattle Half Marathon Nov 27th). My goal for that one is to be under 2:30, and I know I can do it now!

It is such an emotional high and I feel so proud for having kept going and pushed through when it hurt so bad - miles 8-13 were tough! I have so much respect for all of you that are training and have completed half marathon's (or full!) It is not something everyone is mentally capable of. Props to all of you who are training. Even if you miss certain days, or take a few extra days off, just stick with it and you can do it! Even if you have to walk part or all of it, it is still a huge accomplishment.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I am kind of training for a HM on Oct, but very gradually. I did my second 10k last weekend, and was knackered. I can't at the moment envisage running more than twice that. I just don't see how such a thing is possible! I usually run between 9 and 10km twice a week, and sometimes do a shorter run too (6 or 7km). I just don't have any more time to train as I only get 3 child free mornings a week, and I already spend most of them running.
    I have a ton of energy drinks and gels at home as samples from my husband, but I hate them. I don't at the moment take anything other than water on my runs.
  • bmfrazie
    bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    I finally have found three Half Marathons in the fall. I just need to figure out if I want to just one or two or maybe all three. I think they might be too close to eachother though to do all three :(

It looks like Sept and Oct is where it is at though. Still working slowly toward the 15k in 2 weeks!!
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    I had a good run today! Yeah! 4 miles, but felt good and ready to start pushing again! 2 weeks until back in official training schedule. Did 7 by myself on Saturday, that went well too! I even came back before the "advanced" runners finished their 11 mile run, which is a first, usually they are waiting around...
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I'm loving my training schedule by Runner's World Smartcoach. It's a taper week for me... three easy runs of 4-5 miles... this is something that actually feels easy now!!!! Wow, who knew. Next week it's back to the tough stuff, but I'm not even worried!!!! I'm so glad I finally took up running. Wish I would have done this years ago!!!!
  • lizzyheath09
    lizzyheath09 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Found this thread and have a few questions...

I ran my first half marathon on May 1st (Flying Pig in Cincy) and have injured my left hip flexor. I haven't been for a decent run since. I just started PT without seeing a physician first.

I guess my questions are:

Have any of you had hip flexor injuries??
    If so, how long did it take to heal and what did you do to encourage that process?

I have been biking (road and mountain) and doing 30DS video to keep semi in shape. I have another half scheduled in October and Ragnar Relay in November. I HAVE to start running again soon or I am in trouble...
  • lizzyheath09
    lizzyheath09 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I guess I didn't say what the Physical Therapist said.. :)

He believes it may just be an overuse injury. Possibly some tendonitis since I haven't had any relief yet. Also, we realized today that my left leg is 2cm longer so he made an insert for my right shoe to help put me back in balance.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
  • rickydeuce
    rickydeuce Posts: 80
    Options
    I HAVE to start running again soon or I am in trouble...

Early this year I suffered from shin splints. I switched to water running with my AquaJogger while on the mend. If you have access to a pool, I highly recommend it.
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options

I ran my first half marathon on May 1st (Flying Pig in Cincy) and have injured my left hip flexor. I haven't been for a decent run since. I just started PT without seeing a physician first.

If so, how long did it take to heal and what did you do to encourage that process?

I have been biking (road and mountain) and doing 30DS video to keep semi in shape. I have another half scheduled in October and Ragnar Relay in November. I HAVE to start running again soon or I am in trouble...

I had not had that injury, but one of my running partners swears by the CWX tights for relief. They are expensive, but supposedly she will "never" go back to regular shorts they have worked so well.
  • Amberlin
    Amberlin Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Bump...training for my first half Oct 16...very excited. What are your time goals? I am hoping to drop at least 20 lbs but would love to drop 32lbs. How much weight did you shed while training?
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,387 Member
    Options
    I am so off my training schedule! I went to Nashville for a conference this week. I took my workout clothes with every intention of hitting the fitness room/treadmill. Didn't happen! We went downtown in the evenings and wandered the honkeytonks, so I was too tired/lazy to get up and go in the mornings. Too old for 1:00 or later nights :noway: In the afternoons, our sessions ended at 5:00 and then we met at 6:00 for a group supper to de-brief so I didn't go then. Soooo....haven't run since Saturday.

What do you do when you miss runs like that? Make the week up the next week and go a week behind? Just start where you left off? I'm thinking of doing that. I was supposed to run 3 Monday, 5 yesterday, and two today, and off tomorrow. I might do 5 today and three tomorrow. Then do my long run as scheduled this weekend.

Also, a cool side note, I met an MFP friend on Monday! She lives in Nashville so she drove to our hotel and met me between our last session and dinner meeting.
  • 515TeachNRun
    Options
    I finally have found three Half Marathons in the fall. I just need to figure out if I want to just one or two or maybe all three. I think they might be too close to eachother though to do all three :(

It looks like Sept and Oct is where it is at though. Still working slowly toward the 15k in 2 weeks!!

Are you running the Traverse City 15K. My daughter is on her way to MI with family friends who own a cabin up there. The mother, my good friend, is going to run that!
  • bmfrazie
    Options

Are you running the Traverse City 15K. My daughter is on her way to MI with family friends who own a cabin up there. The mother, my good friend, is going to run that!

YES!! That is so exciting! Is your daughter running any of the races?
  • bmfrazie
    Options

What has your PT said about time wise? When I ran in college I had a hip flexor injury. The AT told me to take of 3 weeks off and then ease back in. However, my coach made me work through it. SO it took much longer to heal. I used a compression sleeve and did specific stretches before every run. I also had deep tissue massages.
  • 515TeachNRun
    Options

YES!! That is so exciting! Is your daughter running any of the races?

I wish she would! My daughter has a really nice stride, but she does not enjoy running! My other daughther (11 years), on the other hand, might some day. She loves to run! And she can smoke a 5k! :tongue:

Have a great run! It sounds like it is beautiful up there!
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I've signed up for my second half marathon as a power walker. Am doing the Great Scottish Run in September. My hope, however, is to do some running and some walking (I've just started running, so it will be mostly walking). My first HM was this month and I completed in 3 hours 10 minutes which I think was pretty good for walking and considering that was the longest distance I've ever walked in one go. I'm following my original training schedule again, but adding in running and jogging and working on increasing my walking speed. Hoping by September to maintain 4.5mph walking speed and then add running. I know it sounds a little slapdash, but it's working for me so far!
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am so off my training schedule! I went to Nashville for a conference this week. I took my workout clothes with every intention of hitting the fitness room/treadmill. Didn't happen! We went downtown in the evenings and wandered the honkeytonks, so I was too tired/lazy to get up and go in the mornings. Too old for 1:00 or later nights :noway: In the afternoons, our sessions ended at 5:00 and then we met at 6:00 for a group supper to de-brief so I didn't go then. Soooo....haven't run since Saturday.

What do you do when you miss runs like that? Make the week up the next week and go a week behind? Just start where you left off? I'm thinking of doing that. I was supposed to run 3 Monday, 5 yesterday, and two today, and off tomorrow. I might do 5 today and three tomorrow. Then do my long run as scheduled this weekend.

Also, a cool side note, I met an MFP friend on Monday! She lives in Nashville so she drove to our hotel and met me between our last session and dinner meeting.

When I did team in training (for a triathlon) the coaches told us that if we missed training due to sickness, just to continue and not make up the days/distance missed. So maybe that would apply here. If it was me, I would ignore the week missed and continue on with the training for the weekday runs. For the long run, I would see how I felt, if I could go the distance for that week, I would. If towards the end I started to get too tired, I would cut back to the distance for the week missed.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of a good marathon in January?