C25K Support Group Starting 6/27

Options

Replies

• thatalchemistgirl
    Options
    I just bought an app for this. I'd thought I do some kind cardio one day and lift the other. Tell me its not to late to join!!!
  • midnightsukie
    midnightsukie Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Hi Susannah, a 5K is actually 3.1 miles so your commute from work is perfect! I can't wait to hear back from you when you start jogging all the way home from work and see how far you have come! Good luck and we'll be here cheering you right on.
    [/quote]

Its 3.1K home from work, i think about 2 miles. so I'm deffo cheating a bit. But its a good goal for me.

If when am running i stop, just means i'll take me longer to get home from work lol.

Doing my first run tonight ekk. I havent got the app, so going to run to one song on ipod, walk to another. and hopefully continue that all the way home.

I seem to run slow outside, does anyone else seem to job at the same pace they walk fast ? :)
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    Midnightsukle - I am pretty sure that I jog REALLy slow, lol! But it does feel like I propel along at a faster pace. I have a pathtracking app on my phone, I just need to figure out how to have it go at the same time as c25k, then i can get my speeds as they really are.

Good luck on the walking to work - only good things happen when we get out of our cars and walk :-)

Jayme
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    My co-worker and I registered today for the race! September 10th, in Toronto, and it looks so cool. It is a nighttime race, and they give you headlamps to wear. It is through a park in the city.

We are getting so much support at the office because our boss has actually ran several full marathons, and really enjoys coaching people when they begin. Which means we are his new project ;-)

He came out with us to check where we were at and made a few adjustments for my program. Mainly that due to my very short stature, I am running quite slow compared to how the program is set up (c25k). Also since I have been walking on another program for nearly 6 weeks, he felt that I should try and move up a bit.

Tonight I completed Week 3, Day 1, and it was fine. The other thing he is tellilng me to do is after the c25k app finishes, to complete the walk to a distance of 5k. So even though the program length was 28 minutes, I was actually out for an hour.

Good luck everyone - I honestly cannot believe that only 6 weeks ago I could barely walk for 20 minutes!

Hi Tech, those sound like great tips from your boss. Thanks for sharing them with us. One of the tips from the olympian runner in the article I posted above was to get a mentor and that's exactly what you have in your boss so that's great. I too keep walking after the C25K podcast is finished and I love the extra calories I get to burn when I do that too. :)

Congrats on signing up for your first race, that should be even more motivation. I'm also planning to sign up for one in September too. I can't wait!
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Week 5, day 1 went well. I've been concentrating on my breathing for the last few sessions - on taking deep regular breaths to move the oxygen in and force the carbon dioxide out - and it's beginning to pay off. I'm not getting nearly as winded as I did just a week ago. There's a good article on breathing on the same site as the Olympian runner's article, not that I've been able to use much of the info yet. The section for new runners has been helpful.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Running-and-Breathing-A-Lesson-in-Oxygen-Intake-and-VO2-Max.htm?int=50-4

The other change is that I'm running on the indoor mini track at the gym now, which I avoided earlier because I felt way too exposed up there (it's on a balcony around the perimeter of the weight room). I was afraid everyone would notice when I wimped out before making it all the way around even once. But I'm over that now. It's a little harder on my feet and legs than the treadmill, but it's also a lot closer to the AC vents, and because I keep moving forward, I don't stew in my own self-generated cloud of steam. Soooooo much better.

Muffin, I walked 3.7mph and ran 5.5mph on the treadmill. On the track, not sure, but probably still pretty close to that. Kids fly past me like I'm standing still.

Hi Laura,

I love this part of the article:
    "We've all seen runners huffing and puffing who look like they're about to hyperventilate". That was totally me last year when I started jogging.

I do think I need to work on better breathing and I think as each week goes by, I will get better. Thanks for sharing the article. Great tips!
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    I just bought an app for this. I'd thought I do some kind cardio one day and lift the other. Tell me its not to late to join!!!

Hello alchemistgirl. It's not too late. When are you starting the program?
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Its 3.1K home from work, i think about 2 miles. so I'm deffo cheating a bit. But its a good goal for me.

If when am running i stop, just means i'll take me longer to get home from work lol.

Doing my first run tonight ekk. I havent got the app, so going to run to one song on ipod, walk to another. and hopefully continue that all the way home.

I seem to run slow outside, does anyone else seem to job at the same pace they walk fast ? :)

Hi again Susannah. Since you have an Ipod. You can try the podcasts. I posted I think on page 2 of this post some links to different ones. I used a podcast today for my run and it worked out great.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Today was day 2 of week 1 for me and I decided to get up early and go to the park instead of using the treadmill. It felt great outside. Based on the park's mile markers, I did a little over 2 miles. I walked a little extra after it finished so my total time was 36 minutes and I burned 430 calories (I wear a HRM).

I used the podcasts from this site which really kept me pumped up - http://www.kissmyblackass.org/podcasts/couch-to-5k.

I have no idea what my speeds were outside but I ran as fast as I could without passing out LOL. It probably was about the same speeds I did on day 1 on the treadmill.

My biggest challenge today was having to constantly stick the MP3 earbuds back in my ears because they kept falling out. That was frustrating and slowed me down a couple of times. It was also tough to run with a bottle of water and my car keys in my hand. I'm not sure how I'm going to get around these yet. Any tips?
  • bsd122
    bsd122 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'd like to join! I did day 1 on Sunday and thought I was going to die! I'm so glad there is a community of people doing it on here. I can use all the motivation I can get!
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    I'd like to join! I did day 1 on Sunday and thought I was going to die! I'm so glad there is a community of people doing it on here. I can use all the motivation I can get!

You did it and you're alive!!! Way to go! Trust me, it will get easier. I'm proud of you for taking the first step. :smile:
  • midnightsukie
    midnightsukie Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Hi again Susannah. Since you have an Ipod. You can try the podcasts. I posted I think on page 2 of this post some links to different ones. I used a podcast today for my run and it worked out great.
    [/quote]

Brillaint, found them! When i get home from work i'll put them on my ipod. My friend used them and said they were really helpful :)
  • ksutte
    ksutte Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join too! Looks like something I can do and not too expensive either. I plan on starting this weekend.:happy:
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    I'd like to join too! Looks like something I can do and not too expensive either. I plan on starting this weekend.:happy:

Hi K, yes you can do it and the best part it can be FREE! There are free apps you can download to your smartphone but most people recommend the pro apps that I think are either $1.99 or $2.99. Or if you use an Ipod, you can download a podcast for free. I posted links to different podcasts on page 2 of this post.

Happy running! :smile:
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    After my run yesterday, today i am really really REALLY sore...no running today but don't know how I'm gonna do it tomorrow....
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    After my run yesterday, today i am really really REALLY sore...no running today but don't know how I'm gonna do it tomorrow....

I definitely wouldn't do consecutive days so every other day is perfect. Did you stretch before and after? That really helped me. I did the stretches from this site - http://foothealth.about.com/od/exercisefeet/ss/ShinSplintExerc.htm.
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options

I definitely wouldn't do consecutive days so every other day is perfect. Did you stretch before and after? That really helped me. I did the stretches from this site - http://foothealth.about.com/od/exercisefeet/ss/ShinSplintExerc.htm.

I think I should've skipped yesterday...I'm debating whether or not to go spinning today...I stretched after but only did a very quick stretch right before...it's really just my right side as well...i feel lopsided..
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    How are you guys doing with C25K so far this week? Anyone sore? My calfs are a little sore but I should be as good as new for my day 3 run (tomorrow or Saturday).
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Hey guys,

I created a google spreadsheet so that we can keep track of what week everyone is on and also when you are running your 5K. Let me know if you guys can access it:

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?hl=en_US&key=tBxdK7fEMV3qnt2FZktRCPw&hl=en_US#gid=0

If I missed anyone, please let me know and I will add your name.

I'll update the spreadsheet as you complete each week and as you let me know when your 5K is scheduled.

I hope this adds a little more motivation! Let's do this guys!
  • masanz1
    masanz1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    funny..my wife and I just finished W2D3 on to week 3...going great so far. We were up to 8.5 miles of 4.5 walking though before we started. Walked for nearly a year. That was getting to the point of being too much time which is why we decided to try this. We are not totally following directions as we alternate every other day with the week 1 workout. So M-W-F we do week 1 day 3...Sun-Tues-Thur we will do the week we are on with a good walk Saturday morning.