Hilarious "Dieting" idea from the past, does anyone remember this? Please share yours too.

Options

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    My mom and I did one when I was on high schoolmate 80ies, the Cookie Diet lol. She paid for these special cookies that were "good" for you and we would eat only cookies three times a day lol, made it maybe a week. (That was only because she paid so much for all the "special" cookies .

Finally a diet plan I could stick to for life :smiley:
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    KiyaK wrote: »
    Vune wrote: »
    There was also "tapeworm pills." An urban legend, of course,

NOT an urban legend. Popular when my grandmother was a kid. You took the green pill to start losing weight & the red pull to stop. There was a display in the window of a shop in town. One of the green pills had hatched & was wiggling across the display.

Apparently this is still a thing.
  • TheKrysiaJean
    TheKrysiaJean Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well, there was the Cambridge diet, the Cabbage Soup diet, Sugar Busters diet, Mayo clinic diet (you know....to prep you for heart surgery), the Master Cleanse (maple syrup, lemon juice and cayanne added to water), the three day diet and my fav- The HCG diet!

Oh man...HCG....my mother, father, and I all did that one. My mother's doctor recommended it to her and we did it in support. We had the drops. Had to guzzle down that concoction. I had 2 hardboiled eggs for lunch. And a salad for dinner. Couldn't go over 500 calories!

I stopped after a week. I suddenly was at work one day going....this...is...silly and I am hungry!
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

NOT an urban legend. Popular when my grandmother was a kid. You took the green pill to start losing weight & the red pull to stop. There was a display in the window of a shop in town. One of the green pills had hatched & was wiggling across the display.

Omgggggg
  • Rushbrook60
    Rushbrook60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of this, but that could be because I'm from the UK rather than the USA. That is absolutely hilarious though. I can see why people where put off food. So funny!!!
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Not too long ago, that Alli product. A friend of mine took it and actually said, "It totally works and is great other than the anal leakage." :s The same friend recommended the master cleanse and again said, "You just have to get up an hour or so early because you'll be on the toilet a while." Hm, maybe she just really likes pooping...
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    Not too long ago, that Alli product. A friend of mine took it and actually said, "It totally works and is great other than the anal leakage." :s The same friend recommended the master cleanse and again said, "You just have to get up an hour or so early because you'll be on the toilet a while." Hm, maybe she just really likes pooping...

Or she really likes recommending you to poo:smiley:
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    Oh, that's hilarious! xD My parents would never let me do that.
    I was highly misinformed about weight loss when I was young. No joke, I believed that weight loss was eating less and exercising for a short period of time, and then once you got thin, you would be able to go back to regular habits and be fine. Ha! I tried this weird soup diet once that I found online where I'd just eating soup for every meal or something. Yeah. I did not make it to the end of the week. I think I lasted less than three days,, and I didn't even follow the guidelines very well.

Sadly, that seems to be what most people think about losing weight.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    My mom snacked on Ayds.

Remember those belts you could wrap around your fat bits and vibrate the fat away?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I just googled and found the plan here.

What has been read cannot be unread...
    I won't be able to recover for quite some time now!
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    These are all awesome, but one I remember my mom tried in the 70's was the buttermilk/banana diet. That's it, just those 2 things, and I think she did it for 3 days before she ate a steak!
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I remember these bars you would eat before your dinner with a glass of water, which was like sawdust or something, meant to expand and fill you up so you wouldn't eat much during your meals lol.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    In high school it was the cold carb diet. Cold baked potatoes, cold plain pasta, cold white rice. I believe the thought behind it was that the carbs would fill you up but you wouldn't eat much cause everything was gross cold.

Actually it's based on the reality of resistant starch and is partially legit, just not the way they presented it.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19562607

BTW, I hadn't heard of cotton balls and Jello, but I do know about shredded Kleenex...
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I remember these bars you would eat before your dinner with a glass of water, which was like sawdust or something, meant to expand and fill you up so you wouldn't eat much during your meals lol.

It's apparently called the full bar (wow they didn't think hard about that name lol) and is still around lol
  • ziesergirl_66
    ziesergirl_66 Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Remember those belts you could wrap around your fat bits and vibrate the fat away?

My grandmother had one in her basement. My siblings, cousins, and I would sneak down and take turns on it (1970-1980's). When she passed I was the one who elected to keep it. I don't use it, but it still works!
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,717 MFP Moderator
    Options
    HCG - wow what a diet. I never did it, because the cost put me off. I had friends that did. All of them lost quite a bit of weight at first and were singing the praises, but after they stopped almost all of them gained back double what was lost. Each has moved on to a new fad now. The latest being the shakeology-type stuff and MLMs like visalus and advocare.
  • sueelaineparker
    sueelaineparker Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Feel sick at the tapeworm thing! But oh this thread is making me laugh so much!!!

Not so much old dieting fads, but a few years ago I was with this guy and he and his family used to have loads of family gatherings. BBQs, meals out. It all involved food. His step mum was really overweight, and at these events would load her plate up high but then was convinced she'd be losing weight (and had no idea how she had got to her size in the first place) by ordering a diet coke! Ha! It really was a mystery to her.
    We were together two years and every time his aunts or uncles used to invite us round I would watch with glee as the food used to be stacked onto the plate only for her to then crack open a diet coke and get going!

Other crazy things I've heard of that a few ladies at work have tried is the grapefruit diet and the 500 calories diet where you only have 500 calories 2 days a week or something.

Makes me cringe!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Bulletproof Coffee. I can't believe there was a time when crazy people were actually buttering their coffee. Oh wait, I might be a little early on this one. I'll come back next year when everyone's hindsight is 20/20 again.

I knew someone who swore by this ... talked about it all the time like it was the solution to weight, health and everything. Any time the discussion drifted to anything about health, fitness, nutrition or anything remotely related, he was in there talking about "bulletproof coffee".

It's been a year now since he's said a word about it. Have to guess that fad is over ... in his world anyway.

• Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school in the 1970's, the school nurse would line up all the girls and weigh us, and announce your weight out loud to make sure you were embarrassed. If you were considered overweight, she gave you a printed diet plan that consisted of 1/2 grapefruit for breakfast, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with a slice of canned peach for lunch, and a piece of chicken for dinner. You were supposed to eat this every day until you got to a "healthy" weight. In reality, the girls would start smoking cigarettes, take illegal amphetamines, or purge to lose weight. Good times. :)
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,717 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Speaking of bulletproof coffee, I learned today a friend of mine is putting almond butter in his coffee. Someone told him it helps you lose weight to substitute any milk or cream with almond butter, even in coffee. Sounds about as bad as regular butter if you ask me!