You NEED to stop calorie counting and restricting!

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am very happy that there are so many successful people here counting calories. However, the "science" of CICO is not science at all, and is totally unsettled.

http://www.caloriegate.com/calories-in-calories-out/11-experts-demolish-the-calories-in-calories-out-cico-model-of-obesity

Actually it is proven. But people dont want to believe it there are many metabolic ward studies to prove it and that there is no differences between diets, with the exception of the first few days. At that point the body tries to maintain homeostasis.

You really need to find more reliable sources though.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    ErinSot wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Don't get me started on the people like durianrider and freelee who say all kinds of ridiculous nonsense. They are like "smash in the calories! no one gets fat off fruit!" but then they are biking 120k a day on their bikes and burning thousands and thousands of calories each and every day.

If you want someone who can give you some information based on actual science and actual facts NOT nonsense woo woo i suggest the following:

Unnatural Vegan

OMG she and him say SO much that makes no sense! I found the unnatural vegan through my research and she makes so much more logical sense

Freelee is confusing. I watched a video of hers where she advocated eating lots and lots of bananas. Those bananas in large quantities have many calories! I don't get how she stays so slim even with all the biking and working out she does.

Omg I know! And she calls a 1600 calorie diet for women "starvation" mode

It would be interesting to see what her average daily caloric intake is vs. her calorie burn. She isn't telling everything, I imagine.

She's riding her bike for hours on end on a daily basis with her boyfriend.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    I think people will listen to others who get results. Freelee has amazing abs.

And she thinks women's periods are caused by toxins.

She must have missed 6th grade health classes.

I think she's afraid of her body. Periods are caused by toxins, you should drink so much water that you wake up in the night to pee and your pee should always be crystal clear, if you don't eat very specific things in a very specific way your health will suffer... I don't know what else she says but from this it sounds like she doesn't trust her body to keep her alive so she keeps it on a tight leash.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Don't get me started on the people like durianrider and freelee who say all kinds of ridiculous nonsense. They are like "smash in the calories! no one gets fat off fruit!" but then they are biking 120k a day on their bikes and burning thousands and thousands of calories each and every day.

If you want someone who can give you some information based on actual science and actual facts NOT nonsense woo woo i suggest the following:

Unnatural Vegan

OMG she and him say SO much that makes no sense! I found the unnatural vegan through my research and she makes so much more logical sense

Freelee is confusing. I watched a video of hers where she advocated eating lots and lots of bananas. Those bananas in large quantities have many calories! I don't get how she stays so slim even with all the biking and working out she does.

Omg I know! And she calls a 1600 calorie diet for women "starvation" mode

It would be interesting to see what her average daily caloric intake is vs. her calorie burn. She isn't telling everything, I imagine.

She's riding her bike for hours on end on a daily basis with her boyfriend.

I knew it! She is burning off her bananas!
  • DebSozo
    Options
    mrspinky85 wrote: »
    People have the habit of pushing what works for them on others.

As the "only" way
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I am very happy that there are so many successful people here counting calories. However, the "science" of CICO is not science at all, and is totally unsettled.

http://www.caloriegate.com/calories-in-calories-out/11-experts-demolish-the-calories-in-calories-out-cico-model-of-obesity

Ba-dum-tssss!

We get to make our own foil hats?
    lcorral31 wrote: »
    You do what works for you. But yes its not necessary to count calories, if you are eating the right foods and working out on a daily basis, especially if you're weight training.
    What are the "right foods" @lcorral31 ?
    I often see cookies, chocolate, wine and ice cream listed in the 'bad food' list.
    And, guess what?
    I lost 85lbs eating baaaaaaaad food.
    Dude. Counting calories IS a proven science.
    Science.

Also, you shouldn't do weight training every day... your muscles need rest.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Honestly, it is very difficult. We have some touting lots of protein. Others say LCHF. And I've also seen "carb up".
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    WHY DO I KEEP READING THIS EVERYWHERE ONLINE?

Calorie counting on MFP has been a game changer for me and it's so irritating when people keep saying calories don't matter and you can eat as much as you want of "healthy" foods and still lose weight

Thoughts??

I used to be an adamant believer of CICO, and I still believe the math/science behind it is sound. However, now I'm pregnant and I have gestational diabetes, and I have been forced to count my carbs and calories. I have to be extremely careful with my carb intake so that I don't spike my blood sugar, because I want my gestational diabetes to be diet controlled.

There's something that I've notice from eating the way that I have. I've adopted a diet that cuts out the majority of refined sugars, grains, and white starches from my diet--not because I don't like them, but they always consistently make my blood sugar spike. Now I'm eating a diet that consists primarily of full-fat dairy, fresh fruits, fresh veggies, and meat. My dietician put my on a 2,300-calorie diet because I need to gain weight during the last three months of my pregnancy, and I haven't gained any weight yet, so I still have a long way to go in the weight-gain department. And I've noticed that, pretty much every day, no matter how hard I try, I can't meet my calorie requirement on this diet. I was almost able to do it yesterday because I ordered a bunless Baconator at Wendy's, but I couldn't finish it!

Moral of the story? I still believe counting calories works when you want to lose weight, but I've had such a hard time eating the right amount of calories on a low-carb diet that I'm beginning to think that it may be a legitimate way for me to lose weight after this baby is born. I'll certainly be trying to back that up with logging, but if I'm losing without feeling the need to go hungry, why bother?
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    So, I'm a little late to this party, but, based on my own limited experience, I think that taking the focus off of calorie counting and restriction early on in a weight loss journey can be beneficial for some. Jumping right in to exercise routines and food scales and calorie counting can be overwhelming for people, especially people who are already busy with jobs and parenting and life in general. We all have our habits and routines and carving out time for something new can be a challenge. For me, my main concern is getting healthy. That just happens to include losing weight. I started by simply switching to a healthier diet with no regard for calorie counting and no specific exercise regime. I simply stopped eating high fat, high carb, sugar-laden processed foods. Instead, I went on what I called a "mostly vegan" diet that consisted primarily of vegetables plus some fruit and little to no animal products. I lost weight - about 25 pounds over the course of 8 to 12 weeks. During that time, I also kicked the soda habit and drink water almost exclusively now. My sporadic exercise developed into an actual daily routine. I started writing down what I ate. I ended up on MFP only because I wanted a simpler way to log my food. However, after joining and logging with MFP for a short time, it was very easy to switch to starting to count calories which I do now.

My point is that if I had tried to start with calorie counting and restriction and an exercise regime then I think it would have been too many changes too quickly and I would have been less likely to stick to it. I would have likely failed by now as I have many times in the past. For me, it was a way to get pointed in the right direction and begin building the healthy habits that are going to help me to succeed in the end. I don't think it is a strategy that would necessarily continue to work long term. I am sure that it would not for me, even given my initial success. Science is science, after all. Some people may find it difficult to eat an abundance of calories from "healthy" sources, but I can eat quite a bit so, at some point, I was destined to be a calorie counter again if I was going to make this work. However, beginning with a simple diet shift does a few things that help put a person on the path to success. It builds good eating habits, nourishes the body, and motivates with a taste of success. So I think it can be a good beginning strategy, especially for people who are very obese and poorly nourished, as I was. It sure as hell isn't going to hurt.
    Yes, yes and YES.
  • eringrace95_
    eringrace95_ Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You do what works for you. But yes its not necessary to count calories, if you are eating the right foods and working out on a daily basis, especially if you're weight training.

I love counting calories, it's been super beneficial to me!
  • eringrace95_
    Options
    Here's a guy who ate a huge caloric surplus (high fat, little carb) for a month, and didn't gain weight. How can that be?

Summary: "Here is a difference between overeating and overeating.

When eating bad carbohydrates it’s easy to gain weight quickly. You’ll get plenty of the fat-storing hormone insulin in your blood.

It’s generally hard to gain weight on an LCHF diet. It’s even difficult to eat too much food, as you then usually have to eat more than you want. Even if you force down large amounts of LCHF-food, against your will, the result is usually as it was for Feltham. It’s a constant struggle and weight gain will likely be modest.

Overweight people eating as much as they want on an LCHF diet will typically lose weight."

http://thehealthhelp.co/what-happens-if-you-eat-5800-calories-daily-on-an-lchf-diet/

The claims in this link are just that: claims. Unless this person is working out enough to maintain they are not consuming that much without gaining weight. No one can defy science.

I was eating LCHF and it got me to Obese II. Meats, cheeses, nuts, avocados. Very little refined sugar, and flour and rice products were an extreme rarity.

The "science" this dude spouts is woo. Nutritionally speaking a calorie is not a calorie. But with weight, your body processes a calorie from any source the same way. It is an EXCESS of anything that causes fat storage. There are a lot of articles and such. There is no solid science unless you are talking about a few very specific health issues.

TL;DR version: Subject of the article is not being honest.

Well if you want to believe that eating 1,500 calories of donuts for six months (yes, I know nobody is recommending that) or 1,500 calories of mostly healthy food for six months will result in the same weight loss, be my guest.

Here is one of thousands of articles that says you are absolutely wrong. And he's not selling anything.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/09/fed-up-asks-are-all-calories-equal/

Um...actually if you ate 1500 calories of just donuts a day and it's lower than your weight threshold then, yes, you will lose weight.

But you'll also suffer from extreme malnutrition from not eating the right foods

Calorie in calorie out.

A calorie is a calorie

Amen! Freelee keeps saying all cals are not created equal and I'm just like
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    WHY DO I KEEP READING THIS EVERYWHERE ONLINE?

Calorie counting on MFP has been a game changer for me and it's so irritating when people keep saying calories don't matter and you can eat as much as you want of "healthy" foods and still lose weight

Thoughts??

I want their definition of "healthy".
  • eringrace95_
    Options

****as long as that gets a person into deficit.

Yes yes this!