C25K Support Group Starting 6/27

Options

Replies

• OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I did Week 2 day 1 yesterday, but it took me a long time to get thru week 1 because I was doing it a little too sporatically.

Congrats Zj on finishing your first week! Is it getting any "easier"?
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    i cant open this spreadsheet, am i being silly? i need instructions!! lol

Hmmm...I dunno what's wrong with it. Google says it's open to everyone who has this link:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvHU3frwtA1PdEJ4ZEs3ZkVNVjNxbnQyRlprdFJDUHc&hl=en_US&authkey=COK98t0N

If you copy and paste the link into a new browser window, does that work?
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Hi Guys! I would like to join your group! I actually completed C25K about three weeks ago, but I was running on a treadmill. I have recently started running outside and it is a completely different story. I am having problems running more than 1.5 miles and my calves are sore!! Has anyone else been through this? I'm thinking about bumping back down to week 4 and building up my tolerance to outside running slowly.

Hi Micro,

Added you to the group spreadsheet - https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=tBxdK7fEMV3qnt2FZktRCPw&authkey=COK98t0N&userstoinvite=masanz1@gmail.com#gid=0.

I totally agree that it is different running on the treadmill vs outside. I find outside a lot harder so I am trying to make at least one of my 3 weekly runs outside so that it won't be such a shock when I have to do the 5K. When I did the treadmill day 1, my calves were fine, but day 2 outside still has my calves feeling pretty sore. Really stretching before and after definitely helps. I think it will just take a few weeks to get used to it and not feel so sore. I've been using the stretches on this site - http://foothealth.about.com/od/exercisefeet/ss/ShinSplintExerc.htm.
  • kalcide
    kalcide Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    i cant open this spreadsheet, am i being silly? i need instructions!! lol

Hmmm...I dunno what's wrong with it. Google says it's open to everyone who has this link:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvHU3frwtA1PdEJ4ZEs3ZkVNVjNxbnQyRlprdFJDUHc&hl=en_US&authkey=COK98t0N

If you copy and paste the link into a new browser window, does that work?

ha ha!!!

i am a wally!!! was posting it into google search box!! doh!!! time for bed me thinks!!:laugh: :blushing:
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I did Week 2 day 1 yesterday, but it took me a long time to get thru week 1 because I was doing it a little too sporatically.

Congrats Zj on finishing your first week! Is it getting any "easier"?

It gets a little bit easier. I did W2D1 on the treadmill yesterday instead of outside cause it's we're in a heat warning here and I think that's a good way to start a new week. The treadmill keeps you at a steady pace and there's no hills. Day 2 will be a little more of a challenge when I go back outside.
  • kalcide
    kalcide Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys! I would like to join your group! I actually completed C25K about three weeks ago, but I was running on a treadmill. I have recently started running outside and it is a completely different story. I am having problems running more than 1.5 miles and my calves are sore!! Has anyone else been through this? I'm thinking about bumping back down to week 4 and building up my tolerance to outside running slowly.

Hi Micro,

Added you to the group spreadsheet - https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=tBxdK7fEMV3qnt2FZktRCPw&authkey=COK98t0N&userstoinvite=masanz1@gmail.com#gid=0.

I totally agree that it is different running on the treadmill vs outside. I find outside a lot harder so I am trying to make at least one of my 3 weekly runs outside so that it won't be such a shock when I have to do the 5K. When I did the treadmill day 1, my calves were fine, but day 2 outside still has my calves feeling pretty sore. Really stretching before and after definitely helps. I think it will just take a few weeks to get used to it and not feel so sore. I've been using the stretches on this site - http://foothealth.about.com/od/exercisefeet/ss/ShinSplintExerc.htm.

i went straight to the road. after day1 my thighs were so heavy and i was in agony. the day after they still hurt. i then did day 2 the following day. and no pain..

just think you are working new muscles, so they need to get used to it. keep going, and hopefully it should settle down.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Just read this blog today about C25K. Thought it might be of interest to anyone just starting.
    http://sarahforreal.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/couch-to-5k-leads-to-injury/

Thanks Pa for sharing that. I think anyone starting a new exercise program without the proper knowledge is at risk of injury. You have to be smart, take it slow and listen to your body. First, everyone starting C25K should make sure they talk to their physician and ensure that healthwise they can start. Proper diet is important as well as exercise. Stretching before and after each workout is also extremely important. It's just very important to educate yourself first to avoid potential injuries.

Again, thanks for sharing.
  • alyana1
    alyana1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey thought I'd update! I starting week 4 tomorrow, been adding extra runs onto week 3 on the last one. Ran into something bizarre though. I managed wk3d3 then decided I was going to do it again. I got half way and I suddenly started to feel sick ad getting really bad stomach cramps. I had eaten a few hours before but had only drank 500mls running. Anyway I felt awful and had to walk the mile home!

On the positive side, I found wk3 easier than week 2. Ok the hills burned my calves and was given advice by a marine. If you encounter the burning stretch the muscles for 20seconds rather than 10. He also recommended going 2 days in a row periodically as it builds the muscle strength quicker and they learn to cope better!

On my calorie count.. Still aiming for 1240 and eating my exercise calories. So fingers crossed I manage to lose something this week. My weight didn't shift until mid way through week 3 and only a fee pounds at that. Least it means no drastic loss so skin recovers properly.

Anyway hope your all doing well and happy jogging!
  • masanz1
    masanz1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the congrats...its been a lot of hard work but well worth it. We will do a 5K in late July or August. At least thats the goal.

funny..my wife and I just finished W2D3 on to week 3...going great so far. We were up to 8.5 miles of 4.5 walking though before we started. Walked for nearly a year. That was getting to the point of being too much time which is why we decided to try this. We are not totally following directions as we alternate every other day with the week 1 workout. So M-W-F we do week 1 day 3...Sun-Tues-Thur we will do the week we are on with a good walk Saturday morning.

Hi Masan, that sounds like a great idea and you guys are doing great! I'll add you to the group spreadsheet. Are you going to do a 5K as well? And wow, congratulations on your weight loss! That is an amazing accomplishment.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Hey thought I'd update! I starting week 4 tomorrow, been adding extra runs onto week 3 on the last one. Ran into something bizarre though. I managed wk3d3 then decided I was going to do it again. I got half way and I suddenly started to feel sick ad getting really bad stomach cramps. I had eaten a few hours before but had only drank 500mls running. Anyway I felt awful and had to walk the mile home!
    Oh man I hope it was nothing serious and you are feeling better.
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Whew, finished W2D3! Did it on the treadmill today. I thought it would be easier but I was so spent after an hour of strength training, I barely had anything to give on the treadmill. I also didn't like having to change my speed every 90 seconds...that was annoying...

Think I'm going to do another day of Week 2 some time this weekend...my whole body is sore but I am going to complete this!!

Good luck you guys! Love the spreadsheet!!

I've signed up for my 5k, it's on aug 21st!!
  • mopedgirl007
    mopedgirl007 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I did really well on day 1, however the next day I was playing with my two year old niece and injured my back. My doctor asked me to hold off on continuing C25K and Zumba until it's healed. So the only exercise I can do for the next month or so is walking. I wish everyone luck as they continue on their journey.
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    Tonight I completed W4D1 successfully! The feeling of being able to run 5 minutes at a time was incredible :-)

My 5k race is September 10th, and tonight I really felt as though it is possible.

Good luck on your next run everyone!

Jayme
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    It gets a little bit easier. I did W2D1 on the treadmill yesterday instead of outside cause it's we're in a heat warning here and I think that's a good way to start a new week. The treadmill keeps you at a steady pace and there's no hills. Day 2 will be a little more of a challenge when I go back outside.

Starting the week off on the treadmill seems like a really good plan.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Whew, finished W2D3! Did it on the treadmill today. I thought it would be easier but I was so spent after an hour of strength training, I barely had anything to give on the treadmill. I also didn't like having to change my speed every 90 seconds...that was annoying...

Think I'm going to do another day of Week 2 some time this weekend...my whole body is sore but I am going to complete this!!

Good luck you guys! Love the spreadsheet!!

I've signed up for my 5k, it's on aug 21st!!

Great job Petit on finishing week 2 and signing up for your 5K!! Now you definitely have to complete it. :smile:
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    I did really well on day 1, however the next day I was playing with my two year old niece and injured my back. My doctor asked me to hold off on continuing C25K and Zumba until it's healed. So the only exercise I can do for the next month or so is walking. I wish everyone luck as they continue on their journey.

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that Mo :(. I hope you will feel better soon. Thanks for the support.
  • OneBryteSmile
    Options
    Tonight I completed W4D1 successfully! The feeling of being able to run 5 minutes at a time was incredible :-)

My 5k race is September 10th, and tonight I really felt as though it is possible.

Good luck on your next run everyone!

Jayme

That is awesome to hear Tech! I can't wait until I'm on week 4. :)
    I need to decide which 5K I want to sign up for. This will be my very first time and I have narrowed it down to two that are in September but I'm not sure which one will be best for me.
  • Tonilynn70
    Tonilynn70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am new here. I saw some of you were doing C25k and looked it up and decided to also do it. I have not run since I was 13, maybe and I will be 41 in a week. I also have not purposefully exercised since 2002 (I am quite ashamed!) I have a 3 yr old and would like to be able to keep up with him. Also, I am getting married next year and I found a dress I LOVE, but would never wear at my current weight!!!

I started week 1 on June 29. I could only finish 15 min. I did day 2 today and my calves started burning... I am going to sound ridiculous, but is this normal? :-/

Thanks!!!!
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am new here. I saw some of you were doing C25k and looked it up and decided to also do it. I have not run since I was 13, maybe and I will be 41 in a week. I also have not purposefully exercised since 2002 (I am quite ashamed!) I have a 3 yr old and would like to be able to keep up with him. Also, I am getting married next year and I found a dress I LOVE, but would never wear at my current weight!!!

I started week 1 on June 29. I could only finish 15 min. I did day 2 today and my calves started burning... I am going to sound ridiculous, but is this normal? :-/

Thanks!!!!

Totally normal. I think I did Week 1 (all the days are the same) 5 or 6 times before moving on to week 2. It will get better!
  • Tonilynn70
    Tonilynn70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you, zji8bek!!!!! I am going to keep going.. :smile: