WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Margaret, I overdosed myself on water when working in the park I weed and care for. Had to lie down under a bush. Got a gatorade and felt better.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,726 Member
    Options
    Morning peeps -
    Today is the furry 5k. This one we walk w/our 3 kids. We have taken turns running it, he'll take a dog and I'll walk the other 2. This time I think he wants to walk it with me.

I killed our Mac computer, Kirby said, he's in the medical profession, he said the Mac lives. He put the fan on it to get the moisture out. Kirby is doing ok, he's not worse that is all I can ask for. Still tingly because of the central cord syndrome. His shoulder movement is ok.

Gotta go , later..
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Dawn Thank you so much for your post. Griffin doesn't have Aspergers but he has some other processing issues that share some similarities with Aspergers. When his mom took a job teaching 6th grade and Spanish at a private school 2 years ago, we were all so thrilled that the kids could go to school at this wonderful place. They contacted my son & daughter-in-law after the kids had been tested, and started with Jillian, how well she had tested and that they were thrilled to offer her a place in their kindergarten class. They knew Griffin had been having some problems at the public school he had been attending, so we were worried they might not take him. After they said Jillian has a place at the school, they sort of just stopped talking, and after an awkward moment or two, my daughter-in-law said, did Griffin do poorly on the entrance tests? trying to make it easier to tell them he wasn't going to get in. Their were 3 school officials there, they all looked at each other, and then the head of school said, "well, actually, we have never had a student score this high on entrance exams before. We think he is going to be a challenge but we would love to have the chance to have this brilliant young man at our school." Fast forward 2 years and he has been expelled. I am sorry, I know I am biased, but it is my humble opinion that the school failed, not Griffin. I spoke with my son, Griffin's dad, the other day, and he said the head of school actually said she thought they had failed him. Now what? I think home schooling, but I just don't know. And Jillian loves her school and has had a great 2 years. It is uncertain as to whether my daughter-in-law will keep teaching there now that Griffin is expelled, and logistically it would be very difficult (and much more expensive) for Jilli to keep going there...the whole thing is a mess and it's painful. I am angry. I really do hope that we can get Griffin through his teenage years alive. He has already talked about not wanting to live at times and it scares me. Two of my nuclear family members ended their own lives and I am not naive about this possibility. Sorry to be so serious here but I am just so unhappy about this. Dawn, your experience with your son does give me hope. The house off the grid is exactly the kind of thing I can see Griffin doing.

On a lighter note, I am waiting for Cheri @csofled, one of our gang here on MFP and this very forum, to contact me. She has been here in Virginia helping her daughter get settled in an apartment near here, and I am going to go and meet them today! I will post a pic of us later.

Miriam Yes. Thank you.

Janet I shall check out the EAS shakes with 30g protein, wonder if that is in response to the Premier Protein shakes which are so wildly popular because of the high protein content? Anyway, thanks, I like how EAS taste.

The Big Fat BBQ Wedding Reception was a big success. Open house 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. I cooked a lot of burgers yesterday in the heat. I was amazed at how many people dropped by to meet our stepson and new wife, and how many friends they have. Quite the social animals! We worked really hard to make it happen and it was all worth it.

Oh! And Griffin's baseball team won again. They play for the championship title tomorrow night. If they win, they have to play the same team again on Tuesday or Wednesday to win the championship title. If they lose, they end in second place.

Karen in Virginia
  • debbierichardson7186
    debbierichardson7186 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for info on water. I was confused about how many ounces in a gallon. I am not drinking too much water. I am trying to eat more protein.

Appreciating the feedback.
    Debbie in TX
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Margaret, it’s probably a good thing to keep yourself busy and keep your mind occupied. I agree that it is amazing just how creative some people are. That’s not me but I sure love seeing all the cool things they come up with.

Katla, that is ashamed about the terrible pedi. They cost way too much for that. The shop owner should have given you a discount with you told her of your experience. We live and learn, don’t we.

Penny, I love the pictures!!! All I can say is, “it looks cold”. Yes you get a gold star for being brave enough to cook for Heather. LOL Aren’t we silly!

Kat, thanks for the intro. I love carbs and want to “graze” much of the time, also. It’s just a curse we have to bear.

Irene, try not to let this overwhelm you. Just do what you can each day and I promise it gets easier. I did find that if I took the time to plan ahead and enter it in my food log, it was the easiest way. I would go change it if something a touch different ended up on my plate.

Re, it sounds like you have realistic goals. One of my long term goals is to end up being a “Sexy Senior Citizen” but health and happiness is at the top of my list. I laugh every time I hear someone mention Alice, Texas. Years ago my DH and I were on vacation in Cosumel (before it became such a hot spot) and met a couple from Dallas. We hung out totether for a couple of days having a good time. Something was said about a town close to them and we knew it wasn’t near Dallas at all. When we questioned them we discovered they were actually from Alice but had such a deep Texas d_ r_ a_ w_ l that we misunderstood them. All four of us had a good laugh over it. I actually grew up in Texas and still had a bit of an accent at that time but this couple really did. We are happy to have you join us on this life journey.

Becca, so sorry to hear about the problems with DH’s procedure. I hope they can get it done without major surgery. Sending good thoughts for both of you. You’re going to get to be a pro at this driving thing.

Kim, I can’t believe your city is sending out violation letters like an HOA would. They must be paying city employees that need something to do. I agree if the limbs were hanging at 4 or 5 feet it would need attending to but they are getting a bit knit picky.

Lee, welcome. Glad you figured out the diary question. I think one of the coolest things is that you can put in a recipe and MFP will calculate the calories for you. It probably does all kinds of neat things that I don’t even know about but then I’ve only been using it for a little over 1 ½ years. Lol

Margaret, your pallet planter turned out great. 5425.gif

Heather, my DH used to call my DD’s friends from an online group, her “imaginary friends”. It’s not like we aren’t’ all real people sitting at these keyboards. And OMG how important all of you have become to me. I kind of think it is jealousy. They seem hurt that we are so invested in other people’s lives and value their opinions and support so much when we haven’t even met them. Luckily, DH doesn’t seem jealous of my Phat Chat friends. All I can say is, I’m so glad I found you. 5617.gif

Louise, welcome. You will find this a great place for support and information. Come often and join right in.

MicheleNC, what timer is it that doesn’t like the heat? And where do you normally have it?

Zipp, we discuss just about any question dealing with health and the body. Actually about the only subjects we tend to stay clear of are religion and politics. So ask away!

CJ, woo hoo on your NSVs. How nice that you and your riding instructor can see the difference in your strength.

Lillian, I hope the kelp works for you and you never end up on Synthroid. I have been on it for years and it has slowly had the dose increased.

Linda, I hope you find a gym that has what you are looking for. How long was your free membership? It doesn’t seem like that was very long ago.

IrishTerri, congrats on completing your fitnessblender program. How long is the cruise you will take in July?

GloriaWA, when you get in that car just come on over and down to South Carolina. We can go to the beach and have a great time.

KarenVA, very interesting story about your DGS and a good point for us to consider what drives a person’s behavior.

Lisa, it sounds like you are making progress at the warehouse. I do agree that you can’t gain weight with the amount of activity you are doing all the time. I’m anxious to hear how the meeting with the sheriff goes. I hope you can get things worked out.

Miriam, I hope you are feeling better soon. We miss you when you aren’t posting.

Dawn, sorry to hear that you haven’t lost anything. I know it can get discouraging. It is good to get checked out by your doctor. 6105.gif

Barbie, I totally agree that being able to do laundry at home is a blessing. It’s been years but I still remember having to haul it all to the laundromat and the money it would cost (which was much less way back then). There are so many similar things that I am grateful for. Thanks for the reminder. washing-clothes-smiley-emoticon.gif

Dawn, thank you for sharing that story. How wonderful that he was diagnosed and had such a great mom to stand up for him.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

How terrible about the shooting in Orlando!! I just can’t believe the things some people do these days. I have to get moving and get some things done around here. It is hot and humid today so need to finish my outside work soon. I hope you all have a happy and healthy day.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »

Larisa - have you ever seen one of those exercise balls? Usually they're around 55cm or 65cm big. Well, this is like half of it. Bosu stand for "Both Sides Up" Here's a link so you can see exactly what it is: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=bosu It's good for core work and also balance. The one I have is this handle in front of mine. My balance isn't that great (that's an understatement!) so many times I need to hold on. But it is good for balance and core work

Oh yes, I know what a bosu is; I've been using one as well. I wanted to know more about the workout :smile:

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,366 Member
    Options
    Happy to report I walked 15 times round the deck. One and a half miles.
    Tonight is formal night and I'm going to wear my new long dress I bought with next Jan's Mexico trip in mind. It's a bit tropical for the Polar regions, but never mind.

I wish I could post pics, but the internet on the ship either crawls along, or doesn't work at all. Thank you Penny for posting the fun ones of us!

At the moment we are south of Svalbard, on our way, very slowly, to Tromso. Another day at sea tomorrow. We may be passing the spot where Penny has her summer house. She can't wave at us because she won't be there.

Canapés have arrived - time to get glammed up. :D

Love Heather.
  • marcianneb684
    marcianneb684 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am not social media friendly. I think I posted in the wrong place instead of this community. So, I'll see where this lands me. Marcie
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    ✔️
  • KetoneKaren
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @marcianneb684 Marcie Go to the top of this page and just above the hourglass you will see a little star. Click on the star to bookmark this forum. Then next time you want to read or post, you click on Community, then on the star near the gear sign and the little bell sign. Any forums you have bookmarked will then be listed and you can click on the Women Over 50 forum to get here. And Welcome!

Heart Breaking for Victims in Orlando

Karen in Virginia
  • Nana_Angie
    Nana_Angie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I have been journaling my food since Feb but I am completely new to the community. This is the hardest thing (changing my lifestyle) I've ever done. I'm down 50lbs & have 70lbs more to loose. Hoping to find friends, suggestions, advice & encouragement!

Angie
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    @Nana_Angie - Hi, Angie, I have lost 13 of 100lbs. Awesome job you've done! There are women here who have lost lots of weight and kept it off, some who have regained and struggling, and some who are just getting started. It's a good place to get support.

Karen in Virginia
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Lillian – I’m with you if only we could add a few more hours every week or two would help!

Linda – I would like to fitbit with you, I don’t know my id… I’ll figure it out.

Lisa – what fun to have access to a neat mirror to make the warehouse bath a bit more fun. I’m sure just the fact you are willing to met with and have a discussion with the law enforcement officials will help the relationship.

Miriam – take care of that cold – and it is interesting about the fat and that it is being stored in different locations….

Dawn – a check up is a good thing, also do you eat back your exercise calories? As I find I do not fully trust MFP on the calorie burn from certain exercises, so it could be that you are not burning as many calories as you think and are therefore eating more than you should… but maybe not ;) - my choice is to rarely eat back my exercise calories.

What a lovely post about your son and the description of his brain. Thank you for sharing.

Barbie – I LOVE your washer dryer gratitude, I have added it to my list and also added electricity and running water. Started at the basics that we often take for granted seem to make everything more special.

Karen – you and Griffin have a special bond, could you home school him? Just thinking out of the box, then your DIL could still work and Jillian could stay at school…

Debbie – glad that the water thing is ok – but I am also glad we had the discussion so many times one thing on this thread is started by one of us but affects many of us.

Miriam and Karen - Thanks for the water input; I knew there was a too high amount, but did not have the math to back it up. Interesting that it was being discussed here as I went to dinner with a friend and had 3 glasses of water with my meal (it was pretty spicy) and I love water with a meal anyway – and the friend was shocked… she has to work to drink 4-5 ounces of water a day…I told her that was way way to low…

June Goals
    1 fun thing a week, graduation, visiting with Vickie, working in Eden garden,
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Kim I am thinking about how to work out the home schooling which I would love to do or help with...problem is I am still working but I do have some control over my schedule - can work more weekends and evenings - I don't think I can do it by myself but there are other grandparents and aunts & uncles that might be able to help us brainstorm how to allow this boy to become an adult in a supportive environment & get a good education along the way. Thanks!

Karen in Virginia, resting a lot today
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Kat in Illinois – GRITSandSLUTS: Acronyms for Girls Raised In The South and Southern Ladies Under Tremendous Stress. I’m the first; but, not necessarily too much of the 2nd. Also, WINOS: Women In Need Of Support (That pertains to all of us). So we’re just a bunch of older WINOS. Don’t have any substitutes for ‘hot bread’ … I love it, too! I just have to stay away from it.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan – I take Synthroid after part of my thyroid gland was ablated due to Grave’s Disease. The thyroid gland is the ‘thermostat’ of our body; and, when it is not totally working correctly … it does have a lot to do with whether we are able to lose weight and so many other things; like hair, nails, skin, whether we are 'hot' or 'cold' all the time. Mine gets checks about every time I go to the MD; they have adjusted it twice since I have lost weight and the other time because one of my other meds was ‘lowered’. Now will be interested to see ‘if’ they have to readjust it now that my seizure meds were ‘upped’ (depending on what my levels turn out to be).

TerriRichards… - I have the same “Kiss Me, I’m Irish”; but, nobody pinches me – my eyes are mostly ‘green’.

Gloworm46 – Yeah, when people say that … I wonder what KARMA would ‘think’? I used to be the same way until my late 40’s; now I’m 65 … and I am learning a brand new life-style – along with a multitude of medications – that I never knew I’d be on. Now that I have been losing weight, they are getting adjusted.
    I never thought about pre-posting breakfast in the event you don’t have internet service. I’ll have to try that … my breakfast does not change except on weekends.

Karen in Virginia – I know that meeting old HS friends for lunch every 3 months when I travel to go see a MD in Macon, GA (close to where I grew up); I’ve learned so much about all of them. My question is: “Where were YOU in HS?” Growing up has matured them and they don’t put on a mask like we did as teenagers when we were so insecure. I’ve learned to ‘love’ them and understand them better. My oldest sister had a reputation of being ‘aloof’; but, she is really very shy.
    I’ve had 2 friends who had gastric by-pass surgery; one actually had her stomach stapled; the other did the lap band surgery. The one with the stomach stapled has gained all, then some back. I have not seen her since she moved back to the ‘other’ side of town – about 30 miles one way from where I live. The one who did the lap band; also had her arms done after she had lost weight; but, she stayed ‘sick’ all the time; and, they kept going in and changing the size of the band. She never lost much weight. The SnL of my BF had the stomach stapling and it just about ‘killed’ her. She had a myriad of health problems and it only made them worse.

Dawn – Our DYS was considered ADD; but, the real problem was that he was ‘bored’ in class; his 4th grade teacher met with the 6 parents/couples that had children that were on some sort of medication for behavior issues. Three of us were willing to not give our children their morning meds. She was able to ‘slow my son’ down from having to feel like he HAD to be the first to turn in his work … very messy; to doing it slower, with thought, and neatness to earn the right to do something else; whether it was playing with play dough or working on something above the grade level. She showed me a play dough double winged airplane that he had made … in detail! He can take on a job and his attitude has always been … if Plan A does not work, there is always Plan B.

We never put him on medication during the summers because he had to stay outside and play. Thankfully, there were not too many electronic games, etc., to make he ever want to stay inside. Before he started 5th grade, he asked if we could not put him on the Ritalin (because it made him ‘feel’ funny). We agreed; and, we never had any other problems about work, good grades, or anything else he wanted to try. He is fearless. His first kindergarten teacher labeled him; and, I asked that he be held back to repeat kindergarten again (BUT, not with this teacher). I had to fight ‘tooth and nail’ to do that; but his birthday is August 31st and that is the ‘cut off’ day. I’d rather have him be the ‘oldest’ in the class, than the youngest one in the class. It paid off. Now that I think about it, I should have probably kept my DOS back since he had a summer birthday. I did it, in kindergarten before he had made ‘lasting friends’. He and DOS shared friends who were in the class between them. DOS’s gets ‘tired’ of being introduced as DYS’s brother. But, DOS is very quiet. But, as an adult, he has surprised us with the things he has taught himself to do. Fixing the family tractor and mower. He is my ‘art critic’ whenever I paint something … I know that he is brutally honest and that is what I need for him to be.

We also took DOS out of parochial school in 7th grade; when he wanted to go to public school with the neighborhood boys; did it after the 1st 6-week period when at the ½ way mark he was making “A’s” and “B’s” and when the actual report card came out he had “D’s” and “F’s”. I was so pissed that nobody had contacted me about his grade falling (especially since we were ‘paying’ for his education). I took him out the day after report cards came out. Just went up and took him ‘out of school’ saying that I had forgotten to send in a ‘note’ for a MD appointment. Took him to the public school, and after a tour asked the Principal what needed to be done to transfer him. He told me he could ‘start’ right then; so I took him home to change out of his uniform and brought him back to school. They did all the paperwork for the transfer. Then, when the Nun/Principal of the parochial school called my DYS out of class (over the speaker) for all the students to hear. I was REALLY pissed. He did not ‘know’ why he was being called out of class, and ‘thought’ he was ‘in trouble’. I told her that we had not pulled him out of school because it would be easier for him to start a ‘new’ school in the 6th grade instead of a school in the last year of elementary school; BUT – IF she ever felt compelled to call him out of class … she had better call me first so I could go get him myself out of class. She’d better call me ‘if they ever had an issue with him as well’ … or I’d go to the Diocese and report her; I had already reported her to the Head Priest. When she asked DYS why we had taking his brother out of school. He very sheepishly said, ‘that is something between my mother and daddy and my brother … I suggest you call Mama to find out why’; and, he got up and walked out of the office. He did not wait to be ‘excused’.

I think it is important to ‘understand’ what goes on in a school before committing to it. What are the children expected to do and why? Do they have the 'resources' to provide what our children need; especially if they have some sort of disability or if they need AP classes or more. I do not believe in 'home schooling' because I don't think that one parent is qualified to cover all the different kinds of subjects they need, in order to be able to get into college; but, mostly because they don't get the 'socialization' they do when they are in a 'classroom'. My 2 oldest nieces were in a 'church school' where the mothers who taught were actually qualified to be teachers - they had degrees in the subjects that needed to be taught; but, they still had to pass certain tests required by the State in order to be able to get into the college of their choice. Much more advanced than just getting a GED. They’ve taken so many ‘extra-curricular’ classes and activities out of public schools, it is sad! Football is a ‘money-maker’ so it is a sport that they won’t lose, even at the detriment of the students who don’t conform. Some kids just don’t like ‘football’. When my children were young and they wanted to participate in (say) a ‘sport’ … they had to stay in it for however long it lasted. The ‘only’ time we allowed one of them to ‘quit’ was when our DOS wanted to play football in middle school. He was tiny; and facing football players on the other side who were as big as most Seniors. The boy next to him had his arm ripped out of his shoulder socket; he came home ‘in tears’ telling us about it … we allowed him to ‘give notice’ that he would not be back. He was never really very sports oriented, DYS was the catcher on the baseball team through his Junior year; until his coach made it miserable for him by playing ‘favorites’. That also can make kids not to want to participate.

When I was in school we had ‘shop’, ‘home economics’, ‘art’, ‘band’, [cheerleading’, ‘majorettes’], ‘golf’, ‘basketball’, ‘baseball’, ‘drama’, ‘chorus’, and (we participated in ‘district’ and ‘state’ competitions in most things), ‘mechanical drawing’, ‘typing’, ‘short-hand’, ‘French’, and ‘Latin’ (all earned a ½ credit; and you have to have a total of 2 credits for graduation. Stuff in ‘brackets’ were not considered ‘extra-curricular activities’. We were a SMALL HS, too … probably less than 500 students from 8th grade through 12th grade.

When we go ‘out to eat’; I always cut my entrée in ½ and bring it home to eat it the next day or two. It is surprising how much food is put on a plate at a restaurant. I know my eyes are bigger than my stomach and I don’t like to feel ‘stuffed’. It helps with portion control when you have no control about how much is considered a ‘serving’.

Lenora
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Lenora: Thanks for the tip

Lillian: I've heard there isn't enough time in the day after retirement either, although I don't have personal experience :)

Karen in Virginia: Thanks for sharing the pic of you and Cheri - imaginary indeed!

Does anyone have any wisdom regarding fibre intake? I just read an article saying that you should get 35 - 40 g per day for optimal digestion. I have difficulty even getting 20!

Carey-Northern Alberta
  • KetoneKaren
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Carey - a good guideline for women is 20-25g insoluble fiber (roughage) per day and 6-8g soluble fiber per day. I just take Fibercon for insoluble fiber and fiber gummies for soluble fiber, but there are dietary sources if you don't want to take supplements. I think 20g a day is great from food sources!