You NEED to stop calorie counting and restricting!

Options

Replies

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I for one, do not want to see a "beating a dead horse" gif
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    like the person who stated sugar and other things make you fat. if thats the case my hubby should be obese and not at a decent weight,he eats all kinds of "junk" Im talking donuts,cookies,cakes,candy,etc and yet hes always been a decent weight. hes not overweight or obese.he counts nothing either,he hates weighing food out when he cooks dinner sometimes, but he understands that for me its what works. he eats what he wants and for him all he has to do is be more active and he loses weight very easily. for me not so much.for me if I didnt count calories I would be back to where I was over 200lbs and that wont happen ever again if I can help it.
    I should be over 300lbs if sugar and fat make you fat.

Sugar and fat make you fat? Welcome to the 1980s. ;)

I was referring to the Southpark one, not a real one. ;)

cerise, I dont believe that sugar and fat make you fat. someone stated that it does or something to that degree. I shouldnt have lost any weight in that case either. I still like to eat my chocolate or candy and things from time to time. But I make it fit into my calories,still lost weight.and still am losing albeit slowly but still losing.
  • LewisLal
    LewisLal Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have family members who lost every bit of their weight they wanted by using the low carb (under 100g/day) and eat all you want otherwise diets. It just isn't for me. I'd rather eat what I want and stop when I reach my calorie limit. So CICO is what I stick to, and it worked.

Low carb will work, for some - but would you do it life long, and suffer the resultant constipation and ketosis??
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    LewisLal wrote: »
    I have family members who lost every bit of their weight they wanted by using the low carb (under 100g/day) and eat all you want otherwise diets. It just isn't for me. I'd rather eat what I want and stop when I reach my calorie limit. So CICO is what I stick to, and it worked.

Low carb will work, for some - but would you do it life long, and suffer the resultant constipation and ketosis??

low carb if you are getting enough fat and fiber should not cause constipation which is one reason why you up your fat when doing low carb/keto.low carb can means lots of veggies and some fruits(berries mainly which has some fiber) also being in ketosis so far for most have not harmed their health. a lot of people have to go keto which helps with insulin issues,pcos,seizure disorders and other health problems. ketosis is not the same as ketoacidosis.and low carb is not going to cause weight loss unless in a deficit. you can still overeat doing low carb(you would most likely eat more fat and protein). low carb is not a magical weight loss way of eating.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Holy crow I can't still believe people are trying to refute the CICO, what the are ACTUALLY "crying" about is HOW MANY. We calculate using the basic math but i might require 30 less than someone exactly my weight to maintain or that person over there may burn 1000 more because the workout harder than joe. And I personally have tried eating healthier and found that I lose weight FASTER when the amount of calories is "junkier" I'd say that's because there isn't as much in the junk. It doesn't absorb because your body doesn't need it. But it's not enough of a difference to start an official "study" on and start quoting.

You know there are people still debating whether the earth is round or flat.

Oh yeah I saw that the other day and was like whaaatttt, yeah if we haven't passed that we are never going to get to calories, first "they" have to believed we walked on the moon and I've seen that whole debate!

I just want to say maybe the CALORIE OUT can be burned or "pooped" out LOL it's definitely out then!

And the low carb, they are still COUNTING something.... js
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    like the person who stated sugar and other things make you fat. if thats the case my hubby should be obese and not at a decent weight,he eats all kinds of "junk" Im talking donuts,cookies,cakes,candy,etc and yet hes always been a decent weight. hes not overweight or obese.he counts nothing either,he hates weighing food out when he cooks dinner sometimes, but he understands that for me its what works. he eats what he wants and for him all he has to do is be more active and he loses weight very easily. for me not so much.for me if I didnt count calories I would be back to where I was over 200lbs and that wont happen ever again if I can help it.
    I should be over 300lbs if sugar and fat make you fat.

Sugar and fat make you fat? Welcome to the 1980s. ;)

I was referring to the Southpark one, not a real one. ;)

cerise, I dont believe that sugar and fat make you fat. someone stated that it does or something to that degree. I shouldnt have lost any weight in that case either. I still like to eat my chocolate or candy and things from time to time. But I make it fit into my calories,still lost weight.and still am losing albeit slowly but still losing.
    I know, I was just agreeing with ya. :) I think I remember that previous quote about the sugar and fat making people fat and thought it was funny.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Today I hear 'You can eat as much as you like of xyz all day long lo lose weight, but for a faster loss exclude rice & potato'. xyz = most food groups excluding fruit probably, oh and syns. I just want to hit them.
  • debrag12
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have stated somewhere else on this site that my daughter's new registered dietician emphatically stated to not count calories. I assume she tells all her patients. So you can lose weight without counting calories.

My assumption is that unlike most people on this site, who apparently have had good success counting calories, it does not reflect the overall population. I doubt most people could weigh and measure food and count calories for more than a couple of weeks.

All these 'diets' are indirectly getting people restricting their calories (portion sizes) as CICO works.
  • debrag12
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    ErinSot wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Don't get me started on the people like durianrider and freelee who say all kinds of ridiculous nonsense. They are like "smash in the calories! no one gets fat off fruit!" but then they are biking 120k a day on their bikes and burning thousands and thousands of calories each and every day.

If you want someone who can give you some information based on actual science and actual facts NOT nonsense woo woo i suggest the following:

Unnatural Vegan

OMG she and him say SO much that makes no sense! I found the unnatural vegan through my research and she makes so much more logical sense

Freelee is confusing. I watched a video of hers where she advocated eating lots and lots of bananas. Those bananas in large quantities have many calories! I don't get how she stays so slim even with all the biking and working out she does.

I don't get her 'raw till 4' crap. What suddenly happens at 4?
  • eringrace95_
    eringrace95_ Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    debrag12 wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    ErinSot wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Don't get me started on the people like durianrider and freelee who say all kinds of ridiculous nonsense. They are like "smash in the calories! no one gets fat off fruit!" but then they are biking 120k a day on their bikes and burning thousands and thousands of calories each and every day.

If you want someone who can give you some information based on actual science and actual facts NOT nonsense woo woo i suggest the following:

Unnatural Vegan

OMG she and him say SO much that makes no sense! I found the unnatural vegan through my research and she makes so much more logical sense

Freelee is confusing. I watched a video of hers where she advocated eating lots and lots of bananas. Those bananas in large quantities have many calories! I don't get how she stays so slim even with all the biking and working out she does.

I don't get her 'raw till 4' crap. What suddenly happens at 4?

I was confused too so I looked into it and apparently according to her you need to eat raw foods before cooked otherwise you won't digest it well. Total bs hahaha
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    Again, I am very happy that so many people on this site have had success with calorie counting. Having said that, I do not know a single person, or know a person who knows a person, who counts calories. And many of these people have lost weight or have maintained the correct weight. Why? Because for most people, weighing and measuring and counting every morsel of food you eat is a total non-starter.

Your friends can do what they like. We will do what we know works for us. Just because you don't know anyone who counts calories doesn't mean it doesn't work. And who are you to say it's a total non-starter? Stop trying to make what you believe apply to everyone! Your approach is presumptuous and thick-headed.

If you know we here have had success by counting calories, why are you on here trying to say CI CO is wrong? How does that even make sense?

And while I'm at it, the earth is an oblate spheroid. Was there really a thread about it on MFP??

Lol I don't think the earth debate was here but a couple of months ago some rapper said he belonged to the flat earth society and that got them some notoriety for 1/2 a second.
  • debrag12
    edited June 2016
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Here's a guy who ate a huge caloric surplus (high fat, little carb) for a month, and didn't gain weight. How can that be?

Summary: "Here is a difference between overeating and overeating.

When eating bad carbohydrates it’s easy to gain weight quickly. You’ll get plenty of the fat-storing hormone insulin in your blood.

It’s generally hard to gain weight on an LCHF diet. It’s even difficult to eat too much food, as you then usually have to eat more than you want. Even if you force down large amounts of LCHF-food, against your will, the result is usually as it was for Feltham. It’s a constant struggle and weight gain will likely be modest.

Overweight people eating as much as they want on an LCHF diet will typically lose weight."

http://thehealthhelp.co/what-happens-if-you-eat-5800-calories-daily-on-an-lchf-diet/

The claims in this link are just that: claims. Unless this person is working out enough to maintain they are not consuming that much without gaining weight. No one can defy science.

I was eating LCHF and it got me to Obese II. Meats, cheeses, nuts, avocados. Very little refined sugar, and flour and rice products were an extreme rarity.

The "science" this dude spouts is woo. Nutritionally speaking a calorie is not a calorie. But with weight, your body processes a calorie from any source the same way. It is an EXCESS of anything that causes fat storage. There are a lot of articles and such. There is no solid science unless you are talking about a few very specific health issues.

TL;DR version: Subject of the article is not being honest.

Well if you want to believe that eating 1,500 calories of donuts for six months (yes, I know nobody is recommending that) or 1,500 calories of mostly healthy food for six months will result in the same weight loss, be my guest.

Here is one of thousands of articles that says you are absolutely wrong. And he's not selling anything.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/09/fed-up-asks-are-all-calories-equal/

Um...actually if you ate 1500 calories of just donuts a day and it's lower than your weight threshold then, yes, you will lose weight.

But you'll also suffer from extreme malnutrition from not eating the right foods

Calorie in calorie out.

A calorie is a calorie

Sorry, but a calorie is a calorie is a dated notion. Our bodies are not simple bunsen burners.

https://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/

Of course a calorie is a calorie. That's why we call it that. The body needs stuff besides calories, but calories are, you know, calories.

Maybe they think there are US calories & UK calories like there are pints & oz's?
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Holy crow I can't still believe people are trying to refute the CICO, what the are ACTUALLY "crying" about is HOW MANY. We calculate using the basic math but i might require 30 less than someone exactly my weight to maintain or that person over there may burn 1000 more because the workout harder than joe. And I personally have tried eating healthier and found that I lose weight FASTER when the amount of calories is "junkier" I'd say that's because there isn't as much in the junk. It doesn't absorb because your body doesn't need it. But it's not enough of a difference to start an official "study" on and start quoting.

You know there are people still debating whether the earth is round or flat.

and that dinosaurs ever existed?!
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    Again, I am very happy that so many people on this site have had success with calorie counting. Having said that, I do not know a single person, or know a person who knows a person, who counts calories. And many of these people have lost weight or have maintained the correct weight. Why? Because for most people, weighing and measuring and counting every morsel of food you eat is a total non-starter.

Your friends can do what they like. We will do what we know works for us. Just because you don't know anyone who counts calories doesn't mean it doesn't work. And who are you to say it's a total non-starter? Stop trying to make what you believe apply to everyone! Your approach is presumptuous and thick-headed.

If you know we here have had success by counting calories, why are you on here trying to say CI CO is wrong? How does that even make sense?

And while I'm at it, the earth is an oblate spheroid. Was there really a thread about it on MFP??

Lol I don't think the earth debate was here but a couple of months ago some rapper said he belonged to the flat earth society and that got them some notoriety for 1/2 a second.

Thank you! Now I'll be able to sleep well tonight! :smiley: