Females who eat near 1800 calories

14567810»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I'm back to 1800. 1600ish a couple days per week and above 2000 once per week. That's to maintain. Bites.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Question -- how tall are you? My Microsoft band tells me I only burn about 1700 calories a day and I'm 5 ft 6. Maybe I just have a bad metabolism?
    @girl_inflames
    I'm 5'4.5". Activity level is also a factor. When I'm not very active (less than 3k steps), Fitbit estimates my maintenance to be just under 1600 (not common for me). I'm usually fairly active though. Today for example I'm just over 20k steps.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    My calories before Fitbit adjustments are 1,600 to lose .5lb, and I've had to be a bit more active lately. My sister's at home more because of the summer summer and work usually keeps me busy
  • PteFabulous
    PteFabulous Posts: 16 Member
    Feel free to add me! Even though I haven't been logging recently, I'm starting again today :)
  • meliasaurus
    meliasaurus Posts: 6 Member
    My matainance goal is probably 1800-2000, right now my goal is 1600.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    I eat anywhere from 1650-2100 depending on the day and how active I am. I could never maintain 1200 calories a day.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I've been maintaining my goal for 3+ years but when I was losing I ate 1800 calories to lose 1/2lb a week. We don't have to half starve ourselves to lose :smile: All the best :smile:
  • dandydervish
    dandydervish Posts: 2 Member
    scolaris wrote: »
    Yes!! Hello everybody! Glad to see there are women actually eating & losing. I'm right in your zone. My calorie base is 1650 & with exercise calories I average around 2000. And I lose about a pound a week.
    I do not understand the feminine obsession with 1200 calories around here!! That is a caloric intake for someone exceedingly petite, elderly, or sedentary... Why would any young able bodied woman want to habituated herself to such a low number when she would still lose at a higher number?
    Anyhow, feel free to look at my diary. I eat 3 meals every day & a snack only if time allows (I'm a sub). I've upped my protein since starting MFP, and I just let fats & carbs fight it out from day to day. I moderate sugars too by trying to keep that at 50 grams or below. That's not necessary for everyone, but my body seems to run better that way. I follow the 80/20 rule which means 80% of my food is wholesome and highly nutritious, and the the other 20% is beers, a sweet or the occasional Taco Bell run.
    Looking forward to knowing you ladies better! I want to lose weight sustainably and I always want to stay strong and EAT!

• dandydervish
    dandydervish Posts: 2 Member
    Why does someone short or older have to eat 1200 calories? Was thrilled to see this thread until I realized it apparently doesn't apply to me since I am 5'0" and 61. Funny, since third week in November 2015, I have lost almost 50 pounds, 60+ inches, including 9 from my waist and dropped from a very tight size 14 to a very loose size 4. I am very active. I am a distance runner and also lift heavy. So it's a myth that "old" people and short people have to starve to lose weight. I have done this eating 1500-2000 calories daily. Weight loss and optimal health/fitness is 100% nutrition and 100% exercise/activity.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    My calories are set to 1750, I'm generally in the 1600 to 1800 range depending on the day. Im only one week in on this amount though, after 4 weeks i'll re-eval and see if I can bump up a bit. I lift weights and don't want to starve myself!!!
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    my goal is really around 2200 but I normally eat to about 1900-2000. You are welcome to add me :D
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Isn't this an older thread? Oh well! :smile:

I'm 5'4.5. I'm maintaining on around ~2500/2600 calories. I don't count anymore but when I did, that's where it was! I don't eat much different than when I was counting.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Why does someone short or older have to eat 1200 calories? Was thrilled to see this thread until I realized it apparently doesn't apply to me since I am 5'0" and 61. Funny, since third week in November 2015, I have lost almost 50 pounds, 60+ inches, including 9 from my waist and dropped from a very tight size 14 to a very loose size 4. I am very active. I am a distance runner and also lift heavy. So it's a myth that "old" people and short people have to starve to lose weight. I have done this eating 1500-2000 calories daily. Weight loss and optimal health/fitness is 100% nutrition and 100% exercise/activity.

I don't think it necessarily is always the case for people who are shorter or older, but there are plenty of women who come on this site who are 25 and 5'5 and they put in too aggressive of a weight loss goal (usually 2 lbs/week) and get the 1200 calorie minimum target. The comment that 1200 is meant for someone petite, sedentary, and older is usually meant to dissuade people from selecting the 1200 cal target when it is obviously not appropriate for them.

For what it's worth, it's a pet peeve of mine as well as I am petite (5'2) and over 40, and I lost weight eating 1600-1900 cals and my maintenance is about 2200. I almost always mention that the vast majority of people can lose weight eating more than 1200 cals, and I'm always surprised (though I shouldn't be by now) how many people cling to the 1200 number (or lower) as being necessary.

• pickyreverb
    pickyreverb Posts: 24 Member
    MFP has me set to 1300 cals, but with fitness I usually wind up eating 1500-1800 calories a day. Plus it's hard to keep calories that low on days where I work two jobs and wind up being awake 21 hours.
  • nfrley82
    nfrley82 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi there I am currently on 1700 a day. My hospital states I was to have 2100 a day which gave me a deficit of 500 according to their high tech machines but I was not losing. I tend to eat between 1500 to 1700 a day now and work out 5 days a week
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I think this thread could use a bump...