Females who eat near 1800 calories

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    This is a very interesting thread...when I started using myfitnesspal, the recommended calories from the app said 1200. I have been very committed to doing exercise - typically T25 and walking so average an hour a day...Seriously watching my diet - less than 50 carbs per day, no wheat, corn, added sugar, and haven't lost an inch or pound. Your posts about how many calories is freaking me out! I am SO scared to eat more because my mind says eat more, gain more and I know how hard it has been for me to even lose at all. I am hopeful that by increasing my intake, I will have the success you have written about.
    I am currently 35 years old, 190 lbs.
    please friend me - I have no idea how this works ; )

If you haven't lost weight doing 1200, you're not going to lose by upping your calories.
    Are you weighing, measuring and honestly logging everything you eat and drink?

Yes I have been measuring food and many days I am under my 1200 calorie mark. Before i started this journey I didn't watch what I ate and little exercise. Since I have made dramatic changes to both I would have expected to see loss. That is why I am a little intrigued at this thread and how people are saying they eat more to lose. Why are you saying I shouldn't have to? Thanks!

The saying "eat more to lose" should really be rephrased as, "eat more calories within a reasonable deficit and continue to lose weight, but potentially at a slower pace". It doesn't mean that you will lose more by eating more, the reason it is recommended is because for many people, the 1200 calorie number, or other aggressive deficits, are too difficult to adhere to and often people slip up and undo their deficits when they do, or completely give up. Many who are not losing are not diligent about weighing, measuring, and logging everything and so the first suggestion is to make sure you are being accurate with your logging.

You said you are measuring, are you weighing your solids with a food scale?
    Measure with cups and oz. yes

i guarantee you are eating more than you think you are. Get a food scale.

also (you may have said and missed it)- are you eating back exercise calories? how many? how are they being calculated?
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I
    And fyi- i lost my first 25lbs eating 1870, sometimes over. I lost roughly 2-3lbs a week in the beginning.
    The reason i can eat at that higher goal is because i weigh so much more than you. With exercise, i was having some 2000cal days and consistently losing. I do try to go to the gym 3x a week, but dont always make it if im called into work. But im set to active, as i wanted a little wiggle room and my job is very physical.

Just wanted to say- it IS possible to lose weight at that many calories! Some even higher. Even without exercise. Its all dependent on your stats- height, weight, age, activity level....

I want to be like you! What are your stats? Getting so frustrated watching what I eat and exercise only to see no results. You are inspiring and making me feel hopeful. Thank you

Thank you! I started at 242, 5'5". I also started exercising about a week before mfp. Honestly, i just stuck to the numbers mfp gave me for calories, not worrying as much about macros as long as i was getting enough of all three, and the weight fell off. I lowered my calorie goal to 1744 after i lost 25lbs and im still losing. I use a fitbit and while my job is very active (i can reach 15-16000steps at work), on my three days off, i sometimes only have 4,000steps!
    If you stay consistent and log honestly everyday, you will lose. I measured with cups the first couple weeks, then got a food scale from walmart which has helped tremendously. And i am very honest in logging every single thing that goes in my mouth. Don't forget things like oils, butters, marinades, drinks. I even log my gum! And i notice when i drink alot of water, i lose more those weeks.
    How long have you been on mfp? Have you logged everything? If you have, maybe just give it sometime. There are benefits to eating healthier and working out besides weight loss. Measure yourself too. Sometimes when im not losing lbs, the measuring tape motivates me as i see changes.
    No matter what- dont quit! It will catch up. Some weeks i lose nothing, then lose 3lbs in a day. Weight loss is funny that way. And i dont know what your stats are, but if you dont have alot to lose, it will take longer! Good luck!
    Id also like to add that my mom was motivated by me and my brother trying to lose weight. She signed up and has lost 10lbs in three weeks! Amazing and im so proud!
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming everyone here who eats around 1800 calories exercises a fair bit too??

Uh yeah, a little bit. 4-5 days running (1 speed or hill repeat, 1 medium, 2 easy-ish runs, 1 long run) plus 2 days weight lifting for 35-45 minute. I logged 26 miles last week but didn't do my second easy run. My medium run is 6-7 miles. Long run is 12-14.

I felt like crap eating less, and I'm still not sure 1800 is enough for my activity levels.
  • Hippychick5983
    Hippychick5983 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I get a bunch of walking in daily just getting to work and home. Once it gets nicer I will walk more when I do get home at night. I am going to try and start swimming if I can find a gym that is not crazy money. I also starting doing Kickboxing once a week.
  • ngagne
    ngagne Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    1600+ every day. Don't eat back calories, and also don't log my workouts unless I remember after the day has ended (I don't want it to mess with my numbers).
    Also wouldn't mind seeing other people's food combo's for ideas.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    1500-1800 per day here! I started weighing my food just a few weeks ago and I have no clue how people can eat only 1100-1200 a day and not feel hungry. I get borderline hungry eating what I do now. Request sent! I'd
    Love some diary ideas for variance
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I do around 1900-2000 on lifting days and 1600-1700 on non-lifting days so I average somewhere around 1800. Feel free to add me, I like having friends with similar goals :#
  • smr09012
    smr09012 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've set myself at sedentary (which isn't wholly true) which gives me a base of 1545. Then I eat back some of the exercise calories that fitbit adds in. Typically I'm somewhere between 1400-1900 per day. Anyone can feel free to friend me :-)
  • nikkishai
    nikkishai Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Great topic! I'm eating 1852 (80% of my TDEE) as I'm currently weight training. I JUST started eating this much after about 6 weeks of no scale movement and little inches lost. I'm already seeing results so I'm a believer in eating to fuel this body of mine to burn fat and build lean muscle.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Yeah I don't think there'd be many females out there who could maintain or lose on 1800 calories without exercise.

I eat 1800+ exercise calories and am losing approx 1.5# per week.

I am curious..what is your height weight and age? I appreciate your help!

I'm 5'5", 31 years old and 206#. But even in 2013 when I was 180# (I had a baby in August and gained back a lot of weight I had lost previously), I was losing at 1800 calories PLUS exercise calories.
  • thebobogrind
    thebobogrind Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Add me! I am following the TDEE- 25% and I don't eat exercise calories back. I find it easier to follow this then to try to calculate how many exercise calories I should eat back day to day since cardio machines and MFP seem to overestimate calories burned.

Add me!!
  • MicheleOnciano
    MicheleOnciano Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My goal is around 1600. I also do Personal Trainer Food to help with portion control. The food is great. If anyone is interest I believe I can send info that will save you $50 dollars. Their promo is $99 dollars for 28 lunches and 28 dinners. I was skeptical at first but like I said it's good and food is between 4-5 oz and so are veggies.
  • SamiHearken
    SamiHearken Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm trying for 1800 but can be at 2000
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Hello everybody! Glad to see there are women actually eating & losing. I'm right in your zone. My calorie base is 1650 & with exercise calories I average around 2000. And I lose about a pound a week.
    I do not understand the feminine obsession with 1200 calories around here!! That is a caloric intake for someone exceedingly petite, elderly, or sedentary... Why would any young able bodied woman want to habituated herself to such a low number when she would still lose at a higher number?
    Anyhow, feel free to look at my diary. I eat 3 meals every day & a snack only if time allows (I'm a sub). I've upped my protein since starting MFP, and I just let fats & carbs fight it out from day to day. I moderate sugars too by trying to keep that at 50 grams or below. That's not necessary for everyone, but my body seems to run better that way. I follow the 80/20 rule which means 80% of my food is wholesome and highly nutritious, and the the other 20% is beers, a sweet or the occasional Taco Bell run.
    Looking forward to knowing you ladies better! I want to lose weight sustainably and I always want to stay strong and EAT!
  • scolaris
    Options
    Bay Area 49er here...
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Yes!! Hello everybody! Glad to see there are women actually eating & losing. I'm right in your zone. My calorie base is 1650 & with exercise calories I average around 2000. And I lose about a pound a week.
    I do not understand the feminine obsession with 1200 calories around here!! That is a caloric intake for someone exceedingly petite, elderly, or sedentary... Why would any young able bodied woman want to habituated herself to such a low number when she would still lose at a higher number?

Unfortunately it's because most people feel the need to lose 2 pounds per week regardless of their starting weight and they are uninformed about healthy weight loss habits. They are afraid to eat because it's what got them to the point of weight loss to begin with. They want to go all out and it usually causes a crash and burn.

I'm 5'3.5" and I started out at 139, aiming for two pounds per week because I didn't know any better. I did the 1200 calorie thing and didn't eat all my exercise calories back for a while and lost a good amount of weight (139 to 126 in 1.5 months or so) but after a few weeks of high energy, I just didn't want to get out of bed one day. After reading so much on the boards, I reassessed my weight loss and changed my goal to half a pound per week. I bought a Fitbit Charge HR about a month into the process, so I became more comfortable with the accuracy of my exercise calories and what to eat back. I'm 117 pounds now and I eat anywhere from 1600 to 2200 calories a day and I still lose weight. It took a little bit to learn that I can do that, though.
  • scolaris
    Options
    Well you should be the poster girl for this issue because there are multitudes of 150Lb+ ladies slogging through the 1200 calorie wasteland convinced that's their only hope of losing weight. I'm sure most of them just give up...
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    You're exactly right; they give up because they burn out and binge or because they have inaccurate logging and are eating more than they think. Weight loss can happen without a food scale and definitely can without a heart rate monitor, but I feel like the two of those tools really put things into perspective for me. I used to be very self-deprecating, so I figured I was sedentary and it turns out I'm a lot more active than I assumed. The first week I upped my calorie count, I was like "No way, I'm going to gain weight. Could this be?" I weighed in the next week and lost more than the projected half pound and it was like the skies opened up and angels brought an entire buffet just for me. I can eat all of this and still lose weight as long as I move my butt? Sure as hell can. Fitbit starts me off with 980 calories to eat per day at a 250 deficit due to the fact that I am pretty small, but people would be surprised how easy it is to earn calories on top of that.
  • scolaris
    Options
    Yes!
  • scolaris
    Options
    I also underestimated my activity. I get about 7500 steps a day just being a mom & a sub in special ed. I aim for 100k steps a week so the second 7500 steps I average means some fast walks, plus a hill climb, or a hike. It varies. I never feel stressed out by these commitments either. The angst level on these boards gets to me sometimes... This does not have to be a miserable process!