'I'm fat and happy' article. Thoughts?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
http://www.scarymommy.com/im-fat-and-happy/?utm_source=FB

Found this this morning. Ok I never got as thin as her and never ate 1000 calories a day but man does she nail the 'it's hard to be thin' part on the head!

Obviously not arguing with the fact that it's ok to be obese though... she's a mom. She needs to be healthy for them. I don't believe that you can be obese and stay healthy.

Anyway, curious about what people think about it.

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I read that some time ago. I love it. Its a whole world I wish I could belong to.

I looked like that throughout my 30's and 40's, (the thin version of her) without dieting and just doing normal walking and errands, looking after my kids and getting to work by bus. Where she had to suffer, undereat and obsess on caloiries, for me it was genetic and natural.
    IMO if you start restricitng calories and over excersizing when you are young, you pay for it later in life.

I'm glad she is happy and has such a lovely family. Who could be negative about such a person as her?
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Franci, this is a topic that intrests many people these days.
    Good you posted it imo.
    I like it that she talked about her eating disorder and how she found peace with that and it seems, much more in her life.
  • Francl27
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I stopped reading anything from that page after their article about a mom who was "grieving" because her child was born in a hospital instead of at home. (Yes is was as ridiculous as it sounds).

Haha I read that article. Wanted to punch that woman in the face.
  • Clawsal
    Clawsal Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Really, that article is less about weight and more about finding contentment within yourself regardless of how you're physically packaged. Something we should all aspire to.

I've been content with my physical appearance when fat and am still now that I'm less fat. I hope to be content when I get to goal too.

So yeah, this about finding inner peace and not being reliant on external factors. It could easily apply to jobs, partners, money etc. It just so happens her measure is her weight.

If you are content with your physical appearance what drives to try and lose weight?
    (Genuine question, not trying to be snarky)
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I like the message that one can be happy without conforming to society's standards. I also like the message that being thin doesn't equate to being happy or healthy. I wish she would have at least mentioned that her experience of getting and staying thin is not necessarily the typical experience. I wish she would have rethought saying, "You want to really blow people’s minds? Try this at home: Be fat and happy." I know she isn't advocating being fat just to get a reaction out of people, but the phrasing still just doesn't sit very well with me.
  • Francl27
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Clawsal wrote: »
    Really, that article is less about weight and more about finding contentment within yourself regardless of how you're physically packaged. Something we should all aspire to.

I've been content with my physical appearance when fat and am still now that I'm less fat. I hope to be content when I get to goal too.

So yeah, this about finding inner peace and not being reliant on external factors. It could easily apply to jobs, partners, money etc. It just so happens her measure is her weight.

If you are content with your physical appearance what drives to try and lose weight?

Health issues! I couldn't even bend over without losing my breath (and that's why I don't believe that obese people can be healthy. It's a science thing. Too much fat pressing on your organs = NOT healthy). But for me appearance was a big reason too.
  • ALG775
    ALG775 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I was obese. I was very healthy. All my blood work numbers were excellent. I exercised regularly, both intensely and lightly. I ate (mostly) healthy foods. I probably had more risk of developing type 2 diabetes than a similarly exercising bmi peer of 22-24. But maybe I had less risk than a non-exercising peer with a bmi of 22-24

Her experience was that in order to be thin, she only slept 3 or 4 hours a night. You need sleep.to be healthy. Perhaps she is healthier overweight and sleeping well and happy than slim and not sleeping well.

She is untying her weight from her self-esteem. And she is finding a weight that she can happily sustain. This is a good thing. Loving outselves as we are is important.
  • Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Clawsal wrote: »

I'll answer as well. I have high blood sugar but it's not high enough for diabetes so I still have a chance to beat it. I'm also studying for a career where it is also required to carry a lot of heavy stuff, be able to work with machines (some of them require hell a lot of strength to be closed or opened) and climb really high places to fix stuff. It just happens to be a lot easier if I don't have that 120 lbs extra weight on me. A lot of things like that are going to be easier when I'm not overweight anymore. I'm strong the way I am now and far stronger than I look but right now I can't really convince anyone at job interviews unless I lift the interviewer from ground for it :wink: