WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of a Cardio Metabolic Interval with Gay Gasper DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do Patrick Godeau's Lean Hot Body DVD

Lisa - I'm guessing that Daisy will now live at the ranch, right? At least you know that she's well taken care of and happy.

expiggy - welcome! Love your name/avitar. What can we call you besides "piggy" Update: I like Lauren best.

katie - love your addiction to weight training. In a sense, I think I'm addicted to various types of exercise. But I guess that's a pretty decent addiction

Alison - of course you'll feel like getting Tom the t-shirt. That's just you

I guess I'm just feeling a little bit blue right now. Not so blue that I'm going to have a pig out (yet) I keep seeing all these pics on facebook from Denise how she's down the shore with Pete's mother. Now, I know that there's the distance thing (his mother lives in the same general area) but I haven't seen her since last September and probably won't until Christmas. And even then it'll probably be only for 3 or so days. She's been down the shore so far at least 4 days.

Carol/Peach - I can't get over how much damage those renters did!

Lenora - glad you found the discrepancy. Now you can sleep easier at night!

Welcome everyone new!

Happy Canada Day to all Canadians

Rori - have a great meeting. Will look forward to a picture or two or three

Went to the post office to mail Bryan's anniversary card. Am sending it to the address I have, don't know if he moved or not. Then went to WalMart for Vince to pick up a prescription, then Big Lots but they didn't have any of Vince's bread, then Bi-Lo for items on sale. Then came home and cut a few more weeds. I was just out there for 2 hours but was I soaked in sweat! I think doing this in 2 hour increments is enough right now. Now in to rest a bit and then have dinner.

Re - I'm the same way, give me less of the thing I'm craving and I'm satisfied. I would rather have no sweetener in my tea rather than an artificial sweetener. Actually, in anything. Give me real honey or give me nothing. One of the problems with the protein powders is that they have artificial sweeteners in them. Well, most of them anyway. I can't remember the name (is it VitaSoy? I don't think so) but I did find one that didn't have any added sweetener in it. I found it when we went to FL, so next time we go I may get some more. I usually preportion out my food, too. When the bag is finished, that's IT. If I had the whole bag in front me, I'd eat the whole bag.

Melanie - when I'm still hungry, I sometimes will have one of those applesauce cups. They are only like 50 calories (they're the unsweetened ones), but that seems to satisfy me.

Becca - So happy for your hubby (and you deserve a splurge after all you've been thru)

Michele in NC
  • melaniemetoyer
    melaniemetoyer Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    thanks excermom- I usually have on hand for when the granddaughters come...Tonight I just ate some watermelon.
    ~Melanie~ Baton Rouge
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Congratulations on getting to go home! As added benefits, you had no traffic headaches. Yay!!!! :flowerforyou:

KarenE: Welcome! :smiley:

DJ: I'm not a beer fan, but DH had a couple of beers in the beer garden. It was a good evening to socialize and talk with people about their dogs. Unfortunately I was up 2 pounds this morning. I'm blaming the elephant ear I shared with DH. It is a good thing I didn't eat the whole thing! :devil:

Re: I'm confident I'll ride and I'm praying DH doesn't back out of the boating. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. XOXOXOXO

Sue: I'm so happy that you're meeting Rori. She's wonderful! :bigsmile:

Becca: Congratulations on having your DH back at home. Yay! I hope this works out very well. (((HUGS)))

Betty: Olivia De Havilland is 100? WOW! I hope she's enjoying herself. :flowerforyou:

I drove into Portland this afternoon to get a part for the dinghy so that we can actually use our boat over the weekend. Traffic was hideous from the moment I got to I-5. Holey Moley! I finally made it to West Marine and got what we needed. I came home by a different route and that went much better. I-5 in Portland on a Friday afternoon is horrible. Nobody should have to be there. :noway: I will avoid it if at all possible in the future. :grumble:

Have a good weekend and Happy Fourth of July! :star::star::star:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Katla - "Unfortunately I was up 2 pounds this morning. I'm blaming the elephant ear I shared with DH. It is a good thing I didn't eat the whole thing!"

What is an elephant ear (other than the obvious which I don't think you ate)? :)

Janetr OKC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :)Katla, your drive into Portland sounds worse than my drive today... Congrats to you

:# I'm at the pharmacy waiting for the last of 7 prescriptions to be filled. It's way past my bedtime but I'm energized by successfully doing something that terrified me

:)Becca good to hear that things are moving in the right direction for your husband

Gotta go home now with my bag of drugs
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Back home, unpacked, and ready to sleep in my own bed. It was a great vacation. We rented a boat and explored the lake, we picked fresh blueberries and blackberries at a local farm, we rode bikes through Dogwood Canyon, and much more. I will try to post pics later.

No time to read or reply to posts but will also try to catch up tomorrow. Have a great weekend everyone!

Linda back in IA
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    OMG - that soup... a spicy bite of heaven, I tell ya. I remember now why I used to eat two or three bowls of the stuff at a sitting... lol.

But, tomorrow is another day, in which I can save up calories to eat another bowl...

Night all!

Re in TX
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    Options
    She's baack!

Retired 6 weeks ago, now my "job" is improving health.
    Starting with line dancing, walking with sil, food logging and returning to mfp.

Hugs,
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the SW Idaho AHMOD who wants to feel good NOW.

Intentions:
    Smile then listen
    Today: Log like Mary MSH, every bite lick or sip whether over, under or sidewise. . . and plan to keep it under!
    July: Line Dance Class twice a week.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Barbie - thanks for starting this thread with all that you and Jake are dealing with. I hope you have a very relaxing drive home. (((Hugs))) to you and Jake!

I really didn't have June goals since I was too sick to think about them at the time. But, I accomplished a lot.
    1. Stronglifts 3-4 times a week.
    2. Kettlebell swing 4-5 times a week.
    3. Week 3 of transitioning to 35 pound Kettlebell done.
    4. Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge 125 + miles for June.
    5. I lost 6.2 pounds.

July goals
    1. Stronglifts 3-4 times a week and increase weight.
    2. Kettlebell swing 4-5 times a week.
    3. Complete the 5 week program of transitioning to 35 pound Kettlebell and then increase reps from 7 to 10.
    4. Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge 125 + miles.
    5. Lose 4 pounds.
    6. Make healthier food and drink choices.

I hope everyone has a fun and safe 4th of July weekend!

<3

Mary from Minnesota

• MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    <3
    details to follow.
    :flowerforyou:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Becca, so glad it worked!!!!! Now the two of you can get back to living. Glad him and son were chatttering away. I think that shows that son was maybe a titch worried about Dad and was rather giddy when he got him home.

Katla, if your elephant ear is anything like we have at our annual Fall Festival, I can't blame you for wanting to at least eat some of it and then gaining some weight. I didn't know anyone else had elephant ears. Last year I was actually able to tell Michelle not to get me one. We usually go one time during the week and I get one right before we leave. But with Charlie and his ulcerative colitis we didn't go so Michelle knows how much I love them and was going to get one for me. But they aren't the same unless you eat them while they are really hot and they don't microwave well at all. So I stuck to my ground and said no.

That ileostomy bag I put on Charlie last night is still on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I put some extra tape around the adhesive this afternoon because the actual barrier seems to be int:open_mouth some of the adhesive loose.

It's going to rain several inches this weekend and we may not get any fireworks. But I guess I shouldn't complain since we still have our home, our town, our lives and not totally flooded.

Joyce, Indiana
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Mornin' all... We've moved all our stuff into the warehouse completely, yay! Two more truckloads got it all taken care of yesterday, and my boss let me off at 10:30 a.m. after our editorial meeting, didn't even ask her for it, had just told her what our situation was. Next week's paper is going to be a bear, with only one day before press day to work, but we'll get it done. We always do.

Just collapsed exhausted into the bed at 7 p.m. last night, up wide awake at 2 a.m. with a stinker of a sinus headache... but to say I seldom sleep 7 hours straight is understating "seldom." Will nap later today, and hopefully get my time straightened out. Need to start going to bed at ten p.m., or won't ever see the hubby who made such an incredible effort so we could live together. He'll start his new job Wednesday, and he's excited. We're both really good at beginnings. Our favorite thing.

On the way they treated him at his old job... since everything will now have to be fixed in town, or have a technician drive out, they'll easily pay as much in the next three months as they paid for his year's salary. Every vehicle breaks in the desert. Period. And an oil change alone requires a 90-mile drive, plus the price of an oil change. When it comes to the big stuff, heavy equipment technicians are charging $100 an hour, and no one knows whether they're doing the work right because they don't have the DH's expertise, so they'll end up paying triple the amount they should, just for the parts... Pardon me while I shrug... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Karma, or justice or whatever you choose to call it, can be quite swift and very sure.

Thanks for the comments on leaving Daisy the dog at the ranch. Bless her, she will do well with the cowboys. She loves people, and four of the men live in the same bunkhouse, including the cook, so she'll get anything she wants and get to go riding in a truck every day, too. I'll miss her--but she deserves better than living in a warehouse in town.

Later this morning, we'll head up to Odessa to look at an RV. Great price, but older. The DH will look at the engine, which on a 1988 could have some serious problems--but it's only got 35,000 miles on it, which is a good thing. I'll be looking at the interior, making sure internal systems work, no water damage from leaks, and that we'll be able to rip out every piece of cloth and carpet in it without too much trouble. I hate living in other people's cooties. We'll see how it goes. If it's too much work, even for the price we're getting, then it's too much work, and we'll pass. But if it's doable, then we'll jump on it, and give ourselves a place to live outside the warehouse and be legal in the city codes, finally. Hate walking around the law. The fact that you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you should.

Off to the races... need to get some cleaning done in the warehouse, get our stuff where we can sort through it and decide what to sell in the next sale, what to keep, and so on. Many of those decisions will depend on whether we get an RV or not, but a lot of them I can make now. Happy 4th of July to my fellow Americans--be safe!

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    KetoneKaren, do you use the shakes as meal replacement, snack, part of a meal?

I'll get some and try them. Thanks for the recommendation.

All three. I use the shakes as a meal replacement when I can't face breakfast or when (like today) I will be too busy at work to stop to eat. I use them immediately after exercise as a protein snack. I use them to be sure I get enough protein when I am eating a meal that doesn't have enough protein. I try to get 90g protein a day, usually end up at about 75-80g. 25-30% of daily calories. I wonder how much protein Mary eats, I can't remember.

Melanie Baton Rouge If you can save 160 calories for evening, a Premier Protein shake might help with that evening hungry thing...worth a try...sometimes I eat 1/2 cup plain whole milk yogurt which does it for me. I don't always want the sweet taste of the shake. I like the idea of the unsweetened applesauce. Good idea.

Barbie Home Sweet Home! You rock! I bet Jake is glad to be out of there...

Linda Home Sweet Home! :) Glad you had a good vacation!

Becca [Large exhale]...What a relief!! I was worried about your hubby.

Barbara SW Idaho Howdy! I am guessing I am a relative newcomer where you are concerned, nice to meet you! If I met you before, please forgive, hard to keep up with everyone who posts here!

Mary Glad you are feeling well now! Really glad! t4623.gif

Glo on the North Shore of MA I downloaded a pack of emojis from my app store that wiped out my posts from the emoji on. However, the animated packs (you can go to the page by double clicking on the emoji just above) do not seem to have the same effect. I have no idea why. Barbie helped me with this.

Re I'm with you. While there are some lower calorie versions I like, for the most part I would rather have a smaller portion of the real thing. However, I must admit, I love "cauliflower mashed potatoes". And I love spiral cut zucchini or beets for a twirly thing when I am avoiding pasta. They aren't really substitutes but they are so good that I don't miss the potatoes and pasta.

@MightyLolo How enticing! can't wait to hear the details... :)

Happy 4th of July to those in the states! t9305.gif

Karen in Virginia
  • Katla49
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Katla - "Unfortunately I was up 2 pounds this morning. I'm blaming the elephant ear I shared with DH. It is a good thing I didn't eat the whole thing!"

What is an elephant ear (other than the obvious which I don't think you ate)? :)

Janetr OKC

An elephant ear is a large, flat blob of fried dough that is dredged is cinnamon and sugar. I would eat almost anything with cinnamon & sugar on it. The fat in this case makes it a rare treat for me. Here are a couple of inks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfUcmgFgYv4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_dough
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    A beautiful weekend ahead for us in NY and I am planning to embrace it. Will do some necessary chores and that includes hitting the gym early so I can feel stronger and centered not guilty and down.
    Have to prepare meals for DD and DH while I am gone for 5 days. Left to their own devices they will hit every fast food place and bakery possible :s

Went on a shopping extravaganza and now I am putting the credit card on ice:smile: Happy holiday weekend to all who celebrate:smile: NYKAREN
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Mornin' all...
    I hate living in other people's cooties.
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas

You put into words exactly how I felt looking for a rental home for us on our visit to Texas. Blech, blech, blech is all I felt on some of the homes we were showed! How people live the way they do and just because it is a rental doesn't give you an excuse! Trust me when I say we kept looking until I could walk in the home and not get the willies or throw up a little in my mouth. And then I went down an extensive check list of must do's with the rental agency.

Good luck with your search!

Cheri
  • AmatullaahA
    AmatullaahA Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Greetings all,

I am very new, I just signed up a few minutes ago. I have some ideas on how to get started, but never actually been successful in doing this. Looking forward to this journey. Just really tired of this state. Would like to regain my life once again.
  • Katla49
    Options
    :star:
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!
    I hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend!

Mary, I'm so impressed with your weight lifting. I'd love to be able to do kettle bell swings with 35 lbs. I thought my days with such heavy weight were over, so I sold my 35 pounder. Perhaps I'll get there again, with you as inspiration!

Re, I garden to create a pretty landscape--flowers, shrubs, trees. Would love to grow vegetables, and I may be able to this fall and next summer. In the past I didn't have time since I was commuting so much for work.

Beth & Betty, The weeds! I can't pull them now, so they run rampant! The silver lining is that I've got some desirable flowers (butterfly weed) self-seeding. The downsides are legion. The baptisia and Bermuda (aka wire grass for non-southerners--that pretty much describes the pulling experience) are the worst. I love baptisia, but since it grows a gigantic, tough tap root, I have to makes sure I get its seedlings out of unwanted places quickly! Last year I took an ax to one well-established plant and still didn't manage to get it out. I swear that root was 8 inches across the top and had parsnip thick side roots that were two feet long!

Melanie, when I have a fierce hunger day I have found that making sure I get lots of water, fiber, and protein the next day is helpful in helping stave off the hunger going forward. On the day of, a water and high fiber snack helps some. I tend to go over on calories on high hunger days, but I remind myself that I'll be on track the following day. So far, so good.

Barb and Becca, I hope you find ways to take care of yourselves, and I'm glad your husbands are home.

Katla, like Janet, I would also like to know what an elephant ear is...

KarenE

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    July Goals - 130 miles (OH MY last July I had 127 miles!!!)
    - 10 over 10,000 steps
    - Golf more
    - Organize, organize organize!!

===============
    Last night we went down to the local Regional Park to visit and watch the fireworks for Canada Day. We haven't gone to the fireworks for a couple of years so it was really nice.

Our grand baby arrived during the night. I think our son was so tired he forgot to say boy or girl....!!!

Must get a move on - he said visiting time is 9 a.m. He said mom and baby were doing good. So they will most likely be out by supper time, or sooner if the hospital needs the bed!!

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan