WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday Morning to All!

Hot, hot, hot here in GA. We need some rain so badly!

Janet ~ Love the picture of your daughter and her family. The GS is a very good looking young man as are all the other family members. Hope his recovery is ongoing. My son went through years of abusing drugs from his early teens to twenties. Thank God he fell in love with a wonderful young woman who made sobriety more important than using addictive drugs. He has become a responsible loving parent and husband.

Linda in IA ~ It is so sad about your in-laws. My mom has dementia also (she's 90) but not to the point where she doesn't know us. Unfortunately, mental health has always been an issue with her and the worst part of visiting is her crying and wanting to go home. It makes visiting difficult when you know you cannot help the situation.

Going to walk the Pom before it gets too hot.

Taking a break from cleaning the rental house. Every time we have ever had a renter move, we have done our best to provide a very clean and fresh place for the next renter. Also, we have always done the renting ourselves as we feel we can better screen who we rent it to. But, evidently we have not been very successful with the last two.

Carol
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thank you everyone. New Grand baby is a boy, Jax Dennis ... Dennis is his great grandpa, always nice to keep a name going in the family. He weighed 9 lbs. 6 oz. and was overdue by 12 days! So his skin is really dry and his nails need to be cut... but he is so CUTE!!

bjtlelemal5w.jpg

July will be a VERY challenging month!!
    - 5 birthdays, 1 wedding, 2 anniversaries
    - family coming to camp in my yard for possibly a week!!
    - last lunch with the girls at work

OH well!!

80% of the things you worry about never happen
    10% happen, but are never as bad as you anticipated,
    10% you have NO control over!!

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Such a cutie, LilyMay!

And that's all I have time for this a.m.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :'(Katla, I'm sorry to hear of your disappointments--no riding and leaving for boating adventure yet...I hope the tranquilizer and thunder coat are helpful to your dog.

:)Mary, you have done a great job staying focused on exercise during this time of treatment..we are all grateful that your recovery has progressed to the point that you can be in touch with us

:)DJ, I loved your graphic of the nurse and the patient....not all Jake's meds have to be stuffed down his throat so it's a really big challenge, but he's doing better this morning than he was yesterday and progress is what we seek...also the grunts and groans seem to have diminished.

:'(Lisa, letting Daisy go live on the ranch had to be as heartbreaking for you as giving a child up for adoption....best for Daisy, but so sad for you

:)Janetr, best wishes to your grandson on his recovery....I hope he finds a program and sticks to it no matter what.

:) I hadn't realized just how stressful the time at the hospital was until I noticed that everything I've done since I got home has made me joyous with relief and gratitude that Jake and the pets and I are home together again in the home and life that we love.

<3 Barbie
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Lilly beautiful babies. Makes me want a tiny one to cuddle. Our youngest turned 2 in April and oldest is 22, thinking we are probably done with grandbabies. :(

Thanks all for your kind words in regard to my oldest grandson.

Carol I did not know that about your son, it gives my renewed hope. Thank you.

Janetr okc
  • Peach1948
    Options
    Lillian ~ What lovely grandchildren! If that is a picture of you when you were a child, I think your granddaughter looks just like you.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Linda in IA, thanks so much for the advice on COBRA - I thought it would backdate, but wasn't completely sure.

Lillian - your grands are lovely!

On the getting a city doggie suggestion, it's a possibility for the future, but definitely not for right now. Much as I miss Daisy, I don't miss worrying about her being alone all day, especially in this heat, where she'd have to be inside. She stayed outside the majority of the time at the ranch, but there were plenty of shady spaces, and we always kept a water trough full for her to wade in and drink as much water as she wanted. We have zero shade at the warehouse, no trees... I think about her often, and hope she's doing OK.

And, we got the RV we were looking for... and got it at a good price. It was a 2016 Puma camper trailer that had been sitting on their lot quite a while, but never purchased, so no cooties! We did look at the large RV, but there were enough cooties in that thing to kill off a small country. Seriously, the work involved and materials just to get it livable would have been more than we spent to buy it. Plus the private seller guy was way iffy, and too lazy to even take some of the stuff out that they had stored in there.

So, we drove up to Lubbock to Camping World, and they not only had one we think we'll enjoy, they helped us arrange the insurance AND will deliver it this coming Thursday right to the warehouse. They needed time to check it out from end to end--plus by their rules they would have had to install a bunch of stuff on the truck that it really doesn't need, since the camper will just be sitting for the next few years (one hopes). We also bought the five-year bumper to bumper warranty on it, which you can get pretty cheaply with a new camper. Pictures below. I feel like we're joining the "tiny house" movement without all the pretension. :wink:

More than anything else, I'm just glad we can stop talking about it! We talk everything slap to death anyway, so now we get to move on to another subject! :smiley:

Did I mention there was already an RV space out behind the warehouse? We just have to do a little cleanup and testing to make sure it all works, and they can put it right in there when they deliver it. Can't wait!

Home sweet home!

q5nczlgbcd3w.jpg

Kitchen, dinette, and at the end, you can see the bathroom--which is one of the bigger ones I've seen in a camper, it stretches the width of the trailer, so it's eight feet wide.

2iv2f4cbtd37.jpg

The kitchen and "living room," which pretty much consists of a couch. :)

a0sovasubznh.jpg

The bedroom, which has a hard wall, it's not open to the camper like so many of the small ones are. It was one of my definite requirements.

6axaph5qwp5x.jpg

The floor plan, so you can see how it all fits together. It's 23 feet long, which would be tight for a family with kids, but will hopefully be just right for us. :)

skfmrfq78e93.jpg

Love y'all,
    hope it's a peaceful Sunday for everyone,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    Lillian - How beautiful are Emma and Jax. Fabulous!
    My DGD was quite discombobulated by the arrival of her baby sister, though she put a brave face on it. We could all see it was a strain for her. This last time we visited I felt she had got over that stage and was much happier in herself again. Her older brother was truly delighted with the new baby, but he was very put out before when the middle one was born. He took it hard.

My garlic came up fine and is now drying out in the garage. DH summoned all his strength and cut the grass. He didn't moan tooooooo much and he's glad it's done. I froze some dill and coriander that I picked, so I haven't done nothing. I also "concassed" two tomatoes for a "sauce vierge". (Google?)
    Most of the time I'm just on Duolingo, revising my Spanish.

Barbie - I'm so glad it's all going well. :flowerforyou:

Janet- Best wishes to all your lovely family and especially your grandson.

I remembered just in time that July 4th is DS and DDIL's anniversary. I've just sent them an ecard as it's too late for a proper one. I think it's their copper. It is also the anniversary of my first wedding. :ohwell:

Love Heather
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Lillian - congratulations on your new grandson! Both your grandchildren are lovely.

Janet okc - I wish your grandson well. Growing up is so tough. And may all your celebrations this month be wonderful and as stress free as possible!

I'm feeling discouraged. I've measured food and logged daily for over five weeks. Now I'm on a plateau, and I know it's normal, but I'm still discouraged. Before I started back on MFP I was one one for two weeks, but then dropped five pounds. And I've only been on this plateau for about five days. I'm getting exercise, eating at or under my net calorie goal, and building muscle, if the slight muscle soreness I have every few days after hard workouts is anything to go on. Plus my leg gets stronger almost daily, and I don't need my cane except for long walks. So this is all okay. But still...

KarenE
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Lillian, beautiful, beautiful grandchildren. Congratulations and thanks so much for sharing.

Barbie and Becca, so glad you are home and your husbands are on the mend.

Mary, you are my constant inspiration. I'm so glad you are back and feeling better. All is right in my world now.

Pip, all I can say is WOW! You have taught me that women of a certain age can be fit and fabulous. I'm so glad I "met" you when I did, about a year ago. I realized that I could get fit at my age. I will be 60 in a couple of weeks and am so proud of my accomplishments.

You are all important part of my life and I know you understand that I can't respond to everyone.

This post will be long because I can't post as often as I used to. Today I feel like I have a lot to share, so please indulge me.

I like how Heather and others periodically remind us of how they got to where they are now. This is especially helpful for the newbies. I know when I first started I didn't know the backstory of many of you. It helps to know that this was not and impossible journey even though we are told that at our age it is too tough.

In September 2014 I was 58 years old and squeezing into size 16 jeans. My personal life was in shambles and I hated how I looked and felt. I decided that I wanted to lose 43 pounds. I began exercising and logging all my food. In December 2015 I had lost 45 pounds and was wearing size 8 jeans. I felt fabulous and gained my self-confidence back I made the decision to close my business and begin dating. In April of this year I found a job which was to begin June 1, my business was closing May 31. Also in April, after months of dating, I met a man who made it to date number two and we have been together ever since. I refer to him affectionately as PB, Potential Boyfriend.

I think the last time I weighed myself was in March. Because I was dating, I was being wined and dined. The big drawback was this was happening about twice a week. I tried to be diligent but the flesh is weak. I kept up with my exercise though I stopped heavy lifting due to a very sore elbow. Fortunately the eating out stopped once I met PB because he would rather eat at home then dining out and he really enjoys cooking with me which is fine with me. Unfortunately, whenever I go to his home he greets me at the door with a kiss and a glass of wine, so my wine consumption has increased. But really, who could resist that type of greeting?

I've been trying so hard to keep up with the exercise but the work hours have been very long. I knew I had gained some weight because some of my clothes were getting a bit too tight, but was too afraid to get on the scale. This week I began logging again and trying to do as much exercise as possible. This morning I decided that I had to face the music and get on the scale. I was very happy to see that I was only 3.6 pounds above my goal weight. I think I did a fairly good job of maintaining before it got too far out of hand. Now I need to lose it.

Yesterday morning I went to a local park that has a fitness trail. I friend of mine has been organizing Saturday morning fitness outings and because of work this is the first Saturday I've been able to participate. I am fortunate that I have friends that are into fitness and we have a great time socializing as well as getting healthy. Trying to get back into doing kettle bell at least 5 times a week. PB says I'm in great shape now, and can't believe I was tighter (less flabby) a couple of months before we met. My goal is to show him a smaller me.

Thank you for listening, I find it helpful to write about how far I've come and where I want to go. It's like an open journal. Many people in my life don't want to hear about the healthy eating, exercise, binges and weight gains and losses. But I know I can't count on you ladies to listen and be supportive.

I've got to get going...3 social engagements this weekend and I've got to get some exercise in while I can.

Happy 4th to all my American friends and Happy Belated Canada Day to my neighbors up north.

Chris in MA
  • debbierichardson7186
    debbierichardson7186 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    June goals: did well with all except the exercise. Need to work on that. Will not know about weight loss until Wednesday. I don't trust my scale so I only weigh at the Dr office.
    July goals:
    Log all food
    Exercise 3+ times/week
    Start body weight training
    Lose 5 lbs
    Collect unused items to sell
    Manage time better
    Daughter is moving to southern China mid August. She's getting rid of everything so I am contributing to her sale.
    Congrats on all successes! Prayers for all who need them.
    DebbieTX
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    Chris - Yes, it's great to get a reminder of where we've all come from and where we are now. On thing is for sure - the struggle never stops. You have done really well to nip the "honeymoon" pounds in the bud before they multiply. Contentment and celebrations are dangerous! I have put a pound or so on since I got back from my cruise, so that will have to go. It was so easy on holiday to eat well, but I pick more when I'm bored and I'm not going to prepare a vast array of lovely salads and extra veg, just for me. My saving grace is my morning exercises - I would be huge if I didn't have those 600 calories to play with.
    I do find it interesting how overweight is the new normal for our age group. On the cruise there were very few women in the healthy range and many whose health was severely compromised by their weight. I have just been reading the WI magazine and nearly every woman in the photos is overweight and standing smiling by a heap of cakes. I feel our society is blind to what this is doing to our health and to the finances of our country's health service. Weight related diseases are bankrupting the system.
    I'm not saying it's easy. Every so often I have to remind myself to get a grip, but, like you Chris, I notice how people's eyes glaze over when I mention exercise or talk about calorie counting. It's as if they are mentally shaking their heads at my craziness. Thank goodness for you ladies!!!!! I have been at goal now for two and a half years, after losing 57 pounds over eighteen months. A pound up sometimes, but generally there.

Tonight is sea bass. Sauce vierge, broccoli and green beans. Yum. No alcohol for the second night running. I pick more when I have a drink, so that's one way of getting a grip. :bigsmile:

Love to all, Heather
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    Morning folks,
    I am lounging at the pool,we were going to take a tour this morning,but I ordered it on line,and found out they don't pick us up at the hotel and they could not accommodate us,so dad is relaxing upstairs on the couch and watching t.v.,water a bit cold in the pool ,so lounging and will go print our boarding passes in a little bit and then take a nap.
    It has been a tiring and fun time ,and the wedding is this afternoon ,so guess it's a rest up morning.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Morning all! Just reading today. <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Mary from MN: I'm happy that you are feeling well and hope the treatment is 100% effective. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: People rent homes for lots of reasons. Sometimes they're in jobs that require frequent moves. That is the case for military folks, among many others. Sometimes they don't have the financial resources to buy. As to slobs, they're just part of the mix. :ohwell:

Janetr: What a lovely picture of your DD and her family. Thanks for sharing. :smiley:

Linda in IA: I watched a documentary about Alzheimer's on PBS recently. I noticed they have several other programs on the subject. My grandmother died with Alzheimer's. My mother thought it was because of sleeping pills she took and there is some evidence now that Mom may have been right. I took a medicine for years to combat acid reflux that has been linked to Alzheimer's. I quit taking it the day I saw the report on the news that linked it to the horrid disease.
    Here is a link to the pbs program: www.pbs.org/video/2365702638/
    :heart:

Barbie: Thanks for your sympathy about the disappointments. The riding lesson is a little disappointment. The boat trip is a little bigger disappointment. I am hoping today will be different and we'll be able to go down river and anchor, but I don't have much confidence in that possiblilty. DH does the best he can. :ohwell:

Lillian: I love the photo of your DGKs. Emma is gorgeous! That picture must have been taken right after the baby came home. :heart:

Lisa: The RV looks like it will be perfect for your situation at the warehouse! I like the layout very much. WTG! Good news that you and DH will be able to live on your property legally! :smiley:

KarenE: You are making great progress. Plateaus are part of the process of healthy weight loss but I know from experience that it is disappointing to do everything right and not see the scale drop. Keep on with the good work and it will drop, sooner or later. (((HUGS)))

Bad night last night. The dog was upset by firecrackers and I couldn't sooth him. Eventually I put him in the garage and went upstairs to bed. We had his Thundercoat on him and gave him doggy tranquilizers. It wasn't enough to control the fear. Poor little guy. DH has asked me to check with the neighbors to see whether he kept them from sleeping. Our plan is to go boating is on hold because DH is having tummy troubles that keep him in close proximity to the bathroom. :sad: :ohwell:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,532 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

mikesmom i wanna see of pic of this man!!! if the greeting with wine is a sweet thought but u got the weight gain/cal. in the back of your mind, talk to him about it. last hubby and this one listen and help me with my quest when i ask him for it. tell him that wine is awesome but you would love the greeting with sparkling water with lime slices and cucumber slices in it instead, very romantic looking in a glass. if he loves you and cares for you, three won't be a problem with the compromise.

i must remember to tell you about kirby's call to his bro (technically 1/2 brother) on wednesday only to find that he was getting married on saturday (yesterday) and didn't invite him. his only brother? kirby needless to say was very hurt but didn't say anything to him and when they talked, kirby said that there was no sense of remorse or didn't apologize. sometimes, family sucks
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Good morning, Ladies, and Happy Sunday.

I apologize for venting after not keeping up for a couple of weeks...but I'm sooo frustrated....

I've gained slightly this week. Technically I've been plateaued for about ten weeks now. I am nailing the diet and the logging and the exercise, and I don't know what to do. A couple weeks ago, I did finally lose a couple pounds, and I thought things were gonna start moving again...but that was it. I don't have a lot of wiggle room in my plan. I can't increase my carbs/decrease my fat, because that's not a weight-loss thing for me; it control seizures and migraines. I can't quite seem to do intermittent fasting, because I want to exercise every day. My trainer wants me to increase my calories to 1800. I mean, I'll try it... If this is just how it goes now, and I'm going to lose one or two pounds a month as long as I keep going, then so be it. I'd rather weigh 190 in a year, than 202. And I'm a "big, sturdy gal", not ever planning to weigh less than 185-ish.
    But I'm starting to lose the mental game, ya know? Frustration is my biggest enemy right now.

(Umm, so I bought this dress yesterday and my girlfriends wanted a pic, so I just shoved my dirty hair into a clip and took this. And I don't wear makeup. So, photos just turn out how they turn out.
    *shrug
    My little bitty head cracks me up though. :lol: )

7knyc6yt7l1a.jpg

Impatienty,

Larisa in Seattle
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Oh, so June goals:

1. Figure this thing out!
    2. Keep logging everything.

3. Keep exercising:
    • M-W-Sat legs/glutes
    • T-Th-Sun back/chest/shoulders
    • Walk to or from work/gym both ways at least twice a week, one way at least four times.
    • Swim class on Sunday
    4. Fortify myself mentally so I don't lose my will.. not quite sure how, yet. See 1.
    5. Try the 1800 calories a day idea, for two weeks.
    6. I'm attending a swim workshop the weekend of the 16~17th.
    7. Join the club with the pool and the aquatics team and the swim coach, down the street from my work.

Blessings and success to you all,
    Larisa
  • Peach1948
    Options
    Larisa ~ You look great!