WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Replies

• MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    morning peeps -
    sometimes, family sucks

Actually, sometimes they do. :confused: I'm so sorry. Ugh.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    I agree with Peach. Larisa, you look great!
  • MightyLolo
    Aww, thanks! :heart: :love: :kissing_heart:
    But my weight starts with a 2. Not good (enough). :wink:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,194 Member
    Larisa - You look really healthy and fit! I think those few pounds will come off in their own sweet time. I lost all my weight on 1800 calories and I'm smaller than you, so it can be done. It was slooooooow towards the end, but I got there. Love the colour of the dress. :D
    Heather
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member

I have time now to reflect on my June resolutions and create my resolutions for July. I have been on this journey for a long time and started like many of you with a goal of losing a certain amount of weight and resolutions to drink 8 glasses of water a day and walk 10,000 steps. I have learned more and changed and come to a place where many healthy behaviours are as natural to me as bathing and brushing my teeth, so I no longer list them.

I started this journey at age 62 after decades of failed attempts to lose weight. I had kept my weight in check and had become resigned to being a size 16 forever. One my first day on MFP, I decided to log my planned meals in the morning and stick to the plan no matter what. I declined an offered bagel from a friend and a taste of something my husband was eating. Those were huge successes for me. After that, I began to read more about healthy eating and made changes in what I ate and before long I had found a way to eat that was satisfying and stayed within my calorie range. At first I ignored the exercise calories, then one morning I walked for two hours and felt so dizzy at the end that I wondered if I'd make it home. That's when it became clear that a more active body needed more fuel. I bought and used a heart rate monitor to get a more accurate account of the calories I burned dancing and walking and made sure to increase my daily calories by a significant portion of that----exercise more=eat more. I am always on the lookout for ways to be active and for ways to keep my eating nutrition dense.

In the first year I lost so much weight that three health care professionals told me to gain weight. I've gained the weight back to what they think is healthy but for a year I lived the number one thing on my bucket list (weigh 110 pounds and wear size 4 jeans).

Now my weight stays between 125 and 128 and I wear size 6 jeans for line dance class and size 8 for hanging around the house and I feel great.

I have been posting on this thread since my first month on MFP and it has been a lifeline for me. In spite of having a great husband and great friends, I need all of you to inspire me and let me know how you meet the challenges of life.

Resolutions for June (with end of month comments)
    *weight training twice a week (just a bit more than once a week)
    *30+ minutes of garden puttering three days a week (yes)
    *daily meditation--gradually increasing time (up to 10 minutes 50 seconds)
    *continue sorting and discarding photos (did this almost daily)

Resolutions for July
    *get Jake and me home safely from the hospital in Seattle
    *be a non-grumpy caregiver to Jake during his recovery
    *increase daily meditation time by 5 seconds a day
    *continue sorting and discarding photos
    *weight training twice a week

My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness

81824br5uyrfrsr.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif

146200.png

• MightyLolo
    Larisa - You look really healthy and fit! I think those few pounds will come off in their own sweet time. I lost all my weight on 1800 calories and I'm smaller than you, so it can be done. It was slooooooow towards the end, but I got there. Love the colour of the dress. :D
    Heather

Thank you! 1800 it is, then. I'll definitely at least give it the two-week shot and see what happens. My trainer really thinks that's it. I'm so, erm, robust. There are healthy women my height, whose entire bodies weigh less than my lean body mass alone. I may just not be feeding it enough. *sigh
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Larissa - you are just a Baby and you look beautiful. Hang in there and just keep doing what you have to do. I do am at a discouraging place and I'm just trying to muddle thru. Thanks for sharing the picture.

Janetr OKC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Joyce – If you have a ‘fur baby’ … you’ll find that you also have to ‘baby-proof’ a house. We have bought some ‘canvas’ toys for Cracker; but, she still chewed off one leg, just to prove she could do it. We can’t give her any stuffed toy … it have to be made of something hard. However, for some reason he hasn’t torn up the 'cow’ which is stuffed. She loves to lay on her back to play with it … she throws it up in the air and then catches it. Our cat, outside, will eat anything and bring what is left over to present us with the evidence that he is doing his job; and, we feed him a little bit every time we come out the door; but, just a little bit (1/4th to ½”) cup each time. We don’t feed him all his food for the day because DOS’s “Luna” comes down and eats it.

Janetr – Good looking family!

As for dementia – it probably ‘runs’ in family; but, not necessarily ‘inherited’’. Bipolar Disorder ‘runs’ in family; but that doesn’t mean that ‘everybody’ in family will sooner or later have it. Some dementia is ‘age related’ and not the beginning of Alzheimer’s. I went to MD with DH when he had his physical and told him that DSs say that ‘they think he is getting it’; but, he told me that what he had was only ‘age related’; said if it was the beginning of ‘Alzheimer’s’ he would start forgetting things that he has done all his life … he’d forget what a paint brush and how to use it, as it progresses … he might forget ‘how to drive or get home’. He hasn’t done that yet; but, DOS works with him … and he always drives home. But, I see him ‘everyday’ like DOS and it is more our DYS who seems to ‘notice’ differences in him.

Becca – I Stella Artois beer a ‘light’ beer or a ‘dark’ beer. About my beer drinking, it has to be ‘cold, cold, cold’. I will drink about ½ a bottle or glass; but, I don’t like ‘dark’ beer. DYS likes ‘dark’ beer and keeps several with him in the big machinery he uses on his job as a Wildlife Biologist. He’s in Louisiana and it is ‘hot, hot, hot’ there.

DH is in Depends … I bought him some extra pads, like menstrual pads … to help with ‘accidents’. He got to where he could not urinate; then, when he did … he could not stop it. I took him to the ER several months ago and by the time the MD got around to coming in the room he had wet everything. They gave him a pair of paper 'scrub to wear home'. MD said that he could put in a ‘bag’ until he got to his regular MD; but, DH refused … he acted like he was passing a ‘huge’ kidney stone. Told him that he had an appointment w/Urologist the next week. I went with him to his Urologist and he said he could put him on a different med; and, looked at me and then said, ‘or I can do a procedure to see if you have a blockage'. I must have made a ‘face’ because he turned back to DH and said, … 'but, I think we need to do the procedure'. He had a ‘urine bag’ for a week; and, he later said that he now knows why his Dad was always in such a bad mood. I’m not sure if he could tolerate a ‘stool bag’ not even sure he could handle ‘any’ bag. Of course, he was asleep when they put it in; afterwards he said it hurt. He said the tube up his penis was a ‘huge’ one and it ‘hurt’ and would be ‘glad when they took it out’. They did find a blockage and sent it to the pathologist to make sure it was not cancerous.

Linda in IA – When my Mother made out her “Living Will” – she let each of us read it; I asked her why she did not want to be ‘fed and hydrated’, as the LW showed. She did not want that; she wanted to be ‘fed and hydrated’. Thankfully, she never got to the point that we had to do that for her. My Daddy was ‘fed and hydrated’ through a tube. A neighbor, who is a MD, but NOT his MD came into the room and ‘asked why we were feeding and hydrating him. My oldest sister pushed him out of the door and told him that we were NOT going to ‘starve him to death’. This is the same MD who told my Mother, when we chose to move him back to Macon, in a medical helicopter that we would ‘kill him if we moved him’. Other than him, there was NOT a ‘single’ MD that we could understand. Mother looked at him and said, her DH ‘died’ the day he has his first stoke … and this does NOT concern YOU.” DS went to Daddy’s MD and told him to make sure this SOB never came back into Daddy’s room (he had been moved back to the small county hospital by that time). They put up a sign that said 'strictly only family'. He never came back. The day he died, Mother was taking a nap and woke up and had to go to the hospital. When she got to his room, the nurses were cleaning him up before they were going to call her; she told them she wanted them to leave the room and give her time to be with him. Said that he had such a ‘peaceful look on his face’.

My DH needs to get his ‘hearing checked’ (or else he has ‘selective hearing’); I had some hearing aids; but, they ended up being ‘sound amplifiers’ … so anything ‘loud in the background’ was not filtered out. My insurance company would pay a certain amount on hearing aids at a ‘particular hearing aid company’ and I don’t think I made them understand much of what I wanted. I think the company was a ‘sham’ and I won’t go back. I know my ‘hearing’ is not the best; especially in a group of people (from 6 and above). DH also has to repeat things to me, and he gets as frustrated with me as I do with him. Sometimes he acts like he doesn’t ‘compute’ what I am saying to him. DOS says he has to repeat things to him. Gets stuck on a subject and won’t let it go. Like making the remarks that our DOGD is getting really heavy. He wanted me to ‘say something to her’. I did it once, and ‘hurt’ her feelings; then I got the wrath of my DDnL#1. She’s pretty heavy herself. All I said was, ‘you know, you are short like your grandmother so any weight you gain like the Freshman Fifteen is going to make you ‘look’ like you have gained more than that. In HS, she was fairly thin; but she was very active; but still thick thighs and she inherited my DOS's barrel chest.

Lillian – Beautiful Baby!

Maybe by this time, next year, I will be able to tell y’all that we have a ‘new’ baby, too. Saying my prayers and crossing myself, right down to my fingers and toes.

Lisa – That a ‘nice’ trailer … a lot bigger than I thought it would be … and a lot newer, too.

Chris in MA – Nurse the glass of wine; and, then refuse refills. My husband use to tell our boys, when you go to a party and someone hands you a beer you don’t want or need, nurse it (until it is no longer cool, then find a spot to pour it out where you can’t be seen, then keep the can or bottle in your hand.

Katla – This will be the first 4th of July that we’ll have since we got her. They are terribly close; but, close enough we can hear them; but, not see them. I sure we’ll hear Cracker barking at the sound; but, maybe keeping her in the house will make it so she doesn’t hear them.

Lenora
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    edited July 2016
    Lisa in West Texas - I love your sunny attitude about joining the Tiny House Nation! I am fascinated by folks who downsize so much they can work with so little a footprint for living space. Yes, I am a fan of the show Tiny House Nation.

I seriously downsized from my last house to my current one and shedding all the things that were not going to make the trip took me over a year to accomplish. You are one lean lady!

Charleen in Colorado (Finally got much needed rain but the heat is back again)
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Yeah, I agree, you look beautiful and strong. I love the dress!

Katla, your poor dog! I used to have one that would hide in the closet around the 4th--the quietest place in the house.

KarenE
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Janet ~ Thanks for sharing! You are a lovely lady (overweight and thin), but, I'm so proud of all you have accomplished.
  • janetr7476
    edited July 2016
    Carol/Peach - thank you so much. Its given me a whole new lease on life. I plan to make it the best possible.

Janetr OKC
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Hello Ladies!

I hope everyone is enjoying the fabulous three day weekend.

Well, there is some stellar news on the soup front… lol. I WAY underestimated the number of servings in a pot. I thought there would be 6 of the two cup servings – however, my DH has eaten 9 cups, and I have had 6 cups (eating a bowl right now!) and there are still a good 5 cups left – so that’s ten servings to a pot… *whew* that means the calories weren’t quite as horrid as I thought. Thank goodness for that. Even if I assume that my eyeball on the remaining soup is incorrect – and call it a 9 serving pot, that brings the calories for a serving down under 500 per bowl. A much more acceptable number.

And YAY – my calorie intake for the last two days was overestimated by 230 calories a day… so that’s all to the good. And it really is very good soup… I am glad it isn’t quite as crippling to the calorie budget as I had thought. I am going to have to stop using my giant soup pot, though… my hubby is a good sport, but he will only willingly eat the same thing two days in a row. Day three is asking too much. Me? I will happily eat it every day until it’s gone… so, another couple of days of delicious soup for me.

I have to say, aside from the occasional day of wanting to eat everything within reach, this process has been fairly painless. I really started here at MFP because I wanted to get an idea of what I was eating – just to find out. I hadn’t really intended to start on a new life path when I first signed up. But, darn it – when you SEE that you are able to eat below the calorie budget with just a little restraint… how can you not? And the scale seems to be liking it – so, I am excited. This – this level of eating, this level of exercise – I can maintain. It fits into my existing life without too much trouble – and if I continue to lose as I have so far, about 3-4 pounds per month – it will take me about two years to get down to 150.

It seems like a long time – looking at it from this end – but, thinking back and realizing how quickly time flies, I know it won’t be that long. I would like it to go faster, sure…. But, I know that if I try to do anything too dramatic – anything I feel like I have to “go off of” when I am done, then, I am doomed to fail – so I just have to try and be patient. I just wish I were a bit better at that…

But, I suppose I will have all sorts of interesting and exciting NSV’s to keep me motivated… had one today. I was spooning in bed with the DH. He had his arm flung over me and he had to move his arm because my hip bone was poking it… yes, it’s official, there is a bone in there. Whoot!

I have spent the last hour plus reading and catching up - so I can't reply to each of you - but, I am sending out hugs to everyone!

Re in TX
  • MightyLolo
    Janetr, you look wonderful! <3<3<3
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,748 Member
    Janetr ... Beautiful family photo! And I love your before and after!!

Larissa ... Also a great photo!

Lillian ... Precious photos of your grandchildren!

Beth near Buffalo
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,683 Member
    Afternoon ladies-
    Well today has been a lazy day.. Hanging at the hotel.. We will be leaving for the wedding in about 45 minutes.did take dad out to Panera for lunch and that is basically the only meal we have had to buy.. I have bought about 40.00 worth of food to take over to cousins house. Sort of a chip in thing...but other than that most everything else has been paid for..
    When I get home I will stash the extra cash I have in a jar.. One thing is while I am away Tom doesn't really know what to do with himself socially.. Oh sure there is stuff to do around the house.. But I will suggest maybe he take himself to the movies and go see the new Independence Day movie
  • MightyLolo
    edited July 2016
    Okay I woke up this morning with hilarious bedhead (I'm badly in need of a haircut), so I made this...so this is what my tiny head looks like, with hair. :lol: (I do actually smile, too :wink: ...it's just weird for me, in a selfie).

5rnmwnfbc46u.png
  • janetr7476
    edited July 2016
    Larissa and Beth - thank you <3

Janetr OKC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,194 Member
    Janetr - You have done brilliantly! And I agree, it's a whole new lease of life. Well said.
    <3<3<3

Heather