WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    <3
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,803 Member
    Allie, my DH Kevin is very much like your Tom. After walking the neighborhood since Marc, all of a sudden the paranoid DH says he no longer wants my walking b/c of the statistics he saw on some news somewhere he says it I stop dangerous. I have sidewalks all around and 'tons' of walkers and runners here b/c of the sidewalks! So looking at let go for an elliptical. I hope it doesn't start my back hurting again!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    ((((Heather))))
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather: I think that you've been very brave to work on your memoir and I've been in awe that you've tackled it at all. If you feel you must do it, forge ahead. I wouldn't think less of you if you walked away from it altogether. Would you think less of yourself? That is an important question. It is important work, and has the potential to help others but not worth your peace of mind if the cost is too high for you. (((HUGS))) :flowerforyou:

Paba40: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. Stop by often for encouragement and support. :flowerforyou:

Rita: Mall walking has been very popular in the past. I don't live anywhere near a mall so I've never seriously considered it, and I don't know if it is a realistic option for you. What I know is from reading, and people go into the mall in the mornings after the outside doors are open while the shops are still closed. The mall security guards help to keep everyone safe. I have a gym membership and use it, and also have a recumbent bike set up on a trainer in my garage so I can get in cardio even when the road to the gym is impassable. The gym membership is paid for by my Medicare supplemental insurance. I don't suppose you're quite old enough for that yet. If I am remembering correctly, Barbie had a recumbent stationary bike in her living room where she could knit and watch TV while burning calories. (((HUGS)))

The weather forecast for today looks dry, and I can even see the sun shining in my east windows. I would like to find something fun to do with DH. He's been pretty much housebound for a couple of weeks while I've been off doing this and that. I like that he encourages me to do things, but it makes me sad to see him sitting so much.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,507 Member
    TODAY IS KIRBY'S BDAYYYYY!!! HAPPY BDAY TO KIRBY!!!!!! 61!!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,507 Member
    also, a year ago today i broke my shoulder, i was reminded about that yesterday :0/
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Melanie, it is so sad that all this craziness is happening. I know living in Baton Rouge makes it even harder to take. I do pray that level heads will prevail and things calm down quickly. Good for trying to get back on track. (((Hugs)))

KJ, glad you found a book to give you a good laugh. I think a good belly laugh is so good for the soul not to mention the body. crying-with-laughter.gif

Katla, I’d watch too if my riding teacher were doing some cattle cutting. That would be fun.

Janetr, so glad you are back on track. I knew just the threat of my “boot” should do the trick. Actually I knew you would do it for yourself and we are just your cheering squad. You are awesome. Keep it up!

Heather, I know you aren’t the “huggy” type but come here, my friend! t4614.gif

Becca, I’m sorry your sis doesn’t make plans to get together when you’d like but you need to look at it this way; do you want it done on your schedule or is the goal there, to get to see your sister? I don’t know if she’s just yankin’ your chain or if she has had other things going on. Maybe a different approach would help, I don’t know. Good luck. Either your sister had one big doll or you were a tiny baby.

Allie, you are so right about what we’d like to do to Tom. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Did he start out getting upset because Tracy wanted to borrow the crock pot? Or what got him started? Not that it matters. What a sad, unhappy man.

Joyce, the event at the pet store sounds like such fun. Thanks for the info and the picture of that cute little fella.

Kay, great drawers!!! I do the folding but just line mine up without the dividers. You get really high tech about yours.

Cheri, how nice to donate your items to the place that actually gives it to those in need. Just remember that your DH is under the same or more stress than you are, so cut the sweet guy some slack. ((((Hugs))))

Margaret, beautiful water lilies. Thanks for sharing. Glad you enjoyed the mini concert.

Re, you go girl on those crunches!! Woo hoo.

Glo, sorry you aren’t’ having a good weekend. That list that you offered for the “why” had me laughing. When I was in Real Estate I actually enjoyed most of my CE classes. They were social events to visit brokers from all the other offices. I do agree it’s terrible when our DH’s work outside too much. You need to talk to him about that. About the things you ate; Don’t make me get my boot out for you! And as far as a solution, I think you had the best idea, “Or I'm just feeling sorry for myself & need to get a grip!!!” But then what do I know? Just know that we are here for you and hopefully this too shall pass. (((Hugs)))

Kay, no you didn’t mention prepping for a colonoscopy. I was wondering why the strange diet! LOL

JK, glad you had a great Anniversary celebration. Congrats to you newlyweds. wedding-kiss-smiley-emoticon.gif (that makes me feel old because my 48th is coming up next month)

Pip, tell that “hunk” of a DH that I said, happy-birthday-smiley-emoticon.gif

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Thank goodness the men’s finals is today. I do plan to ride my cross trainer some while watching the tennis match so it won’t be a total waste of time. I do hope you are all having a good day and with only peach and happiness for all.
    rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    edited July 2016
    Okay, today I have bad cold, and my period. So I guess that's the abrupt weight gain, more or less explained. Heh.
    Happy Sunday, Ladies! :flowerforyou:

Silly period. I been tryna quit, I swear.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,940 Member
    Just had a three course meal for lunch: lemon jello, lemon jello, and lemon jello. Now for a banana Popsicle For dessert. So excited. Not!!

DJ, I actually had the dividers pre-Kon Mari folding. They are just cheap plastic things from BB&B. I like them, though. They help with the flimsy stuff like underwear, socks, pantyhose, tank tops, and workout shirts. I gave up on them for bras. Even my new smaller size bras are just too big. And pants, tee shirts, and pjs stand up fine by themselves.

Pip, I can't believe it's been a year since you broke your shoulder. Happy bd to Kirby.

LoLo, that is one thing I don't miss. Thanks for the reminder.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Larisa, love the cloud stockings!

Heather, my dear, your strength never ceases to amaze me. My autobiography was the toughest thing I've ever written, and the only way I got through it was writing it as if I were someone else. Reliving some of those early days was killing me, and it was the easiest way to deal. Thinking of you.

Lost four pounds of water weight, getting all the grass cut around the warehouse, and getting the camper/trailer's yard cleaned up of all the rocks and easy to mow. The DH just got out the shower, back over to the camper to get some lunch cooked (him) and eaten (both) and then off to the store for stuff for the week.

Love y'all,
    Lisa
  • Rororosie
    Rororosie Posts: 113 Member
    hi ladies - well started to read down and I'm going to have to stop. I have my opinions about everything and I debate them on my FB. I came here for support with weight loss so I'm going to have to be careful coming here if we are going to be engaged in debating the hot topics of the day.

I just can't do it and it means I can't read through. I will keep trying but if this is going to be a political opinion group, I might not stay, no offense you are all amazing ladies on all the "sides" of gun control, and the recent violence and all your opinions, whether I agree with them or not seem well stated and well thought out.

I started making notes and I thought I'd say a few things and then it was just overwhelming because I am such a debater and too tempting and takes me off the course of why I'm here to get support and to give support.

I know we all have feelings about the issues and we might need support with our feelings but a lot of these posts are simply opinion pieces ... in my mind begging to be analyzed and refuted, LOL.

I get to do that enough elsewhere.

i made notes so far but now I just. can't.

I mean thank you.... I am going to have to miss some reading today. It's almost time to go upstairs to my studio and sing and write. Sunday is music day for me as I have my writing time in the a.m. and then go to lesson in the afternoon.

I had a massage yesterday and it took me out of commission for what I had planned for the weekend so I'm super behind on my goals.

the replies I can do so far Joyce I am a project manager now, previously a tech writer for about ten years and a business analyst/project manager for about 10 years, now just doing the Project manager thing, I really like it. I read somewhere when I was young that most people nowadays can have 3-4 careers in a lifetime and so I liked that idea and looks like I have done it. I also as a child wanted to be a technical writer, I wanted to be a singer-songwriter, a writer in general, and a producer. And a teacher. To some extent I have had it all. So I am happy about that but there's a lot more I want to do so I need to live and be hardy until after 100 years old, lol.

Heather I wish I could see the art in the Hague too! Something for my bucket list.

Storms in West Texas and Indiana Lisa and Joyce - sending good wishes to those to survive them and thanks Allie for the reminder on the Serenity prayer.

Welcome to Loomis and JulieKathleen and thanks to Lacy May (my hand writing is bad I hope i got that right - for the beautiful picture of you holding Jax <3

And thanks Kim for the note about charging for your services. Good point. That will be better than quitting with Rosa, lol. She'll never be willing to pay me a cent so she will just stop asking me but I need to stop volunteering... :wink:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    edited July 2016
    Hi all. Spirits on the rise. I've read through the rest of the typing I've done so far so I'm ready to go tomorrow with writing about Sunday School. That isn't in scribble, so I will type it on the laptop direct.

Katla - It isn't so much the subject matter that is getting in my way as just the same problem I've always had, that of showing up at the page. For some inexplicable reason it's the most important thing in the world to me and the last thing I choose to do. I know I'm not alone in this as many writers feel the same way.
    One thing holding me up this time is the pile of scribbled pages, which are not in order. At least, the section I am writing at the moment isn't, though the narrative picks up later. I am tidying up loose ends in this section and I don't want it to be bitty and boring.

Thought I would share my Turkey Burgers with you. I used 400 gms (14 oz) minced turkey leg, about 6 - 8 oz well squeezed out defrosted leaf spinach, some finely chopped scallions and garlic, a bit of fresh or powdered chilli (optional), chopped fresh mint, chopped parsley, Worcestershire sauce (could use a few drops of some other brown bbq sauce) and seasoning to taste. Mix it all up and make 4 - 6 flat burgers. Shallow fry in little oil in a non stick pan. I had my half, around 250 cals, with green beans and chilli sauce. DH likes his with mango chutney. A yoghurt sauce is also good. A salad would be great.
    The Worcestershire sauce is important , as is the fresh mint. We love them. Sometimes I make 16 oz and keep two cooked burgers back for next day's lunch for the two of us, with some bread.

My DDIL seems to be coping with the move. Like Cheri, she has been doing a little every day in preparation. They are having professional packers, so it's not too bad. Just a huge disruption with two kids and a baby.

Love Heather xxxxx
  • Rororosie
    Rororosie Posts: 113 Member
    My basic post for me...

Saturday a.m. I weighed in. Somewhat disappointed that it was a loss of -.4 pounds even though I totally know I would tell someone else that was great. I also totally know that it's not all calories in/calories out -- so although I never went above calories - I do go below some days. I know that's not good but it's hard on this food plan as I don't get the snacks with it and so the calories are below when I just eat the meals but I only snack when i'm hungry not regimented.

So that said, I did only go to the gym 3 times so far and only 2 times within the week. I also had insomnia which I know makes it harder to lose as does stress. So overall it was probably a good result.

Steps I intend to take: calling the meal provider to ensure that my estimated calorie count per meal is correct (they said 350 a meal for me) so I will just check. In general just continuing with all my goals - getting a little better with exercise, drinking water, mediation, you know, everything.

Rosa situation - so Friday I stayed home that night and buckled down and finished up her website the best I could without her input. Since she changed her URL the previous theme we had agreed on had been lost, and I couldn't remember it so I just made something that put her content up and made it as nice as I could. But it's like picking someone else's dress even if you know them well, you might want their comments on it. LOL. So I texted her and messaged her and emailed her to let her know the content was up. I didn't have a copy of her professional picture so I just used the logo we had done as a draft. And I didn't say anything emotional either way like I'm sorry or I lov eyou or I am mad at you -- it was just a note that the work was done. She and my sister are supposed to meet on it today so I hope they let me know, but I am intending to quit.

Then Saturday I had a GROUPON for a massage so I went. I have always found myself MUCH more likely to lose weight and stay on course when I am having regular massages so I had gotten a bunch of groupons but this is the first one I used and the first massage in like 2 1/2 years. It was a good deep tissue massage the kind I like and find healing. However, it knocked me out for a day. I can home and I had drank a Kale cleanse Friday night and had accidentally gotten a 32 oz in stead of 16 oz and I had drank it all... well all that came out my back end without a lot of notice. Then I felt weak and rested all afternoon and went to bed at 8 p.m. and woke up at 8 a.m. so I must've needed that sleep. And she noticed a terrible mole on my back which I didn't know I had and now I'm sort of scared by it.

Anyway I also twisted my lower back in my sleep and had some back pain, luckily getting up and moving around has alleviated it.

So today - up to the studio between 11:15 - 11:45 in order to get enough time singing and writing and it's already 11:10 but I still have some things on my chore list so it might be 11:45 before I get up there. Then I leave for lesson by 1:45 p.m. Lesson usually lasts until 4:30 or 5. I think I am one of his favorite students so if no one is coming in after me he often throws me a little extra time. The "lesson" is about writing songs and he also produces what I am writing - like he writes bass lines, drums and accompaniment - a full set of produced tracks. So we have like 6-7 done ready for me to sing and are finishing up 2-3 more.

I didn't sing a lot this week and I'm not sure why but that sure is counterproductive to building back up my voice. I have lost my top notes and need to sing daily, do weights on my diaphram 3-4 times a week and etc to build up my power and range so I can sing these songs. And practice my technique. I don't know why exactly I have a hard time getting into the studio at night after work... I need to write about that and start doing things that help me sing more....

I dont have a lot of ideas. This month I should be rid of the two websites - Rosa's and my 12 step fellowships -- and then more time will open up for me to be creative but work takes a lot out of me too... I think my work is so mentally intense that I need a segue between work and singing... but the segue of watching TV is not working for me... I sink down into the couch and then just go to bed, no studio work in between.

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited July 2016
    DJ (Janet #1) Thank you. Don't know where I'd be without the support of all the ladies here. But your boot IS pretty scary. :)

Janetr okc
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,781 Member
    Happy Sunday, I am working the 6-4:30 shift. Going to be another hot one, so glad to be inside. Yesterday the family reunion went well and I was home early. Did go to church last evening and really needed that.

Joyce--Glad you got a good nights sleep. That does make a big difference. Sending hugs for you and DH. My friend, Lee, had all kinds of leaking and blow out problems with her bag and then she got a bad rash around the part that comes in tough with the skin. I was really concerned as she was not handing things well at all. But now almost 5 months later things are better. Not sure if they talked to you and Charlie about this, but they taught my friend to do like an enma ( I know that is not spelled right.) every other day, she really had problems doing it at first, but now she says that she doesn't have to worry about leaks or break outs.

Kim--Congrates on the new job!!

Larisa--You look fantastic in the red dress.

Heather--Sending hugs and prayers. I know just how you feel been there lately and working on pulling myself up and remembering the good things in life and all my many Blessings.

Margaret--Your afternoon with nature sounds so relaxing.

Michele--You do so much, I would have had to sit down a lot more often doing what you do in a day.

Kim NC--Thanks!

Glo--Hugs

Happy Birthday Kirby, hope you and pip are having a grand day!!

DH found a picture of my sister and I taken 4 years ago this month at our family reunion. It was when I weighed over 370 pounds. I made a copy so I can remind myself how far I have come and do not want to go back there. One day at a time.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • emlynley
    emlynley Posts: 7 Member
    I'm starting back on MFP after about a year off. I was a full-time writer (mainly fiction) and decided to go back to school full-time to get a paralegal certificate. The school is 50 miles from home, and I live in the SF Bay Area, so I was spending 2-3 hrs a day in traffic. Needless to say, with full-time school, all the commuting and then working part-time at the DA's office the past 6 months, I didn't have much time for cooking or finding healthy food. I ate most of my meals in the car or snacks that wouldn't go bad if they weren't in the fridge. I gave in to my sweet tooth and ate far too much candy and pastries.

So, I put on about 25 pounds this past year. The only good part is that walking around campus helped me get in some exercise and I have a fitbit goal set for 3k a day, but try to get 5k.

I really need to get back on a healthy eating track. My part-time job ended and I'm looking for a new full-time legal job, so I have some time to devote to myself.

Last year I did a juice cleanse. I was just going to do 3 days and ended up doing 7. I felt great the whole time and I'm considering doing another one this year. The only problem is that I don't have a lot of fridge space and I hate the idea of shopping every day for produce. I was going to try using commercially available juices but they are either really expensive or have too much fruit in the juice and high carbs.

I'm going to set a few easy goals for myself this month.

Workout at the gym or walk 30mins 15/31 days.
    Log food 15/31 days
    No candy/pastries/etc. 15/31 days
    Increase fitbit goal to 4k/day

I'm looking forward to learning some new techniques from all of you who post and having a place to get advice and support when I need it.

EM
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Larisa -love the pic. You don't look any older than my daughter (42) :) Thanks for sharing.

Janetr okc