Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Earthing/Grounding

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I find it very pleasant to walk barefoot in the woods or on the beach, but it's a mental boost, not some magical free radical reduction or other such nonsense.

And this is likely where any type of health improvement comes from. Never underestimate the power of stress relieve.
    I think that does make sense. But like I mentioned before, if stress is dramatically reduced then that can reduce free radicals in the body, so it could be said that it works indirectly that way.

I think stress management is maybe the most overlooked aspect of health management.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    ouryve wrote: »
    What do I think? I think I would end up with broken glass embedded in my feet and probably a smear or two of dogshit.

I'll not be earthing myself on any British pavements, even if it was a thing.

Pavement is not "earth".

Pavement is on the earth's surface, ain't it?

Yeah, but it doesn't count if your grounding. Because... rules. And... feels. You have to be in direct contact with the earth - no pavement, no floor of the house, no shoe soles, etc. UNLESS of course you'd like to purchase a grounding mat for only $49.99! It will somehow bend the laws of woo to allow you to benefit from grounding without getting dirty :naughty:

Is a grounding mat just some lawn sod? At Home Depo you can get 500 sq. ft. of Zoysia sod which is super plush grass for $398
  • marykate978
    marykate978 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the science behind it, but grounding always lifts my mood and relaxes me. I believe in the energy of the earth healing powers.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    Asphalt comes from the earth, so it counts. QED.

Hey, if walking barefoot on asphalt works for you, go for it. Different strokes and all that jazz.

I said QED. So it's good for everyone.

I grew up walking barefoot so much that I (and my friends) could walk on asphalt when the weather was in the high 90s. I've softened up a bit since then. When I was living on the beach I'd also jog barefoot. I love that feeling. To the people who get shocked by the idea and worry over injuries, you're right to some extent, feet take time to adapt, but it feels wonderful once they do. There's just no real magic to it other than the feeling. I also deadlift barefoot much of the time. Chucks are okay, but not perfect.

Agreed. But you will also end up crusty *kitten* feet so don't plan on strappy slingy sexy high heels anytime soon. Here's a pic of my feets back in the day.
    500x1000px-LL-390731a7_DSCN1746.jpeg

Hawt! But, okay, I'll mark strappy 6" heels off my shopping list. I don't know if my little black dress will work with flats though.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    ouryve wrote: »
    What do I think? I think I would end up with broken glass embedded in my feet and probably a smear or two of dogshit.

I'll not be earthing myself on any British pavements, even if it was a thing.

Pavement is not "earth".

Pavement is on the earth's surface, ain't it?

Yeah, but it doesn't count if your grounding. Because... rules. And... feels. You have to be in direct contact with the earth - no pavement, no floor of the house, no shoe soles, etc. UNLESS of course you'd like to purchase a grounding mat for only $49.99! It will somehow bend the laws of woo to allow you to benefit from grounding without getting dirty :naughty:

Is a grounding mat just some lawn sod? At Home Depo you can get 500 sq. ft. of Zoysia sod which is super plush grass for $398

According to the King of Woo Dr. Mercola, grounding involves electrons from the earth's energy being absorbed through your bare feet and working magic. Things like shoe soles, paving, floors, etc block the energy coming up from the earth. A grounding mat is plugged into an outlet and through the magic of some kind of electric current mumbo jumbo brings the necessary electrons from the earth into the mat so your bare feet can absorb them from the mat. I mean, really, it's just basic common sense! :lol:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me wtf "free radicals" are? Isn't it woo?
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/antiox.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3249911/
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Wow, seriously. No, it's not woo.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    When outside our body's vibration reportedly slows down to the earth's harmonic, which would be a de-stressor. Also, the sun penetrates your cornea to stimulate your brain to be awake, so you sleep better at night. If you continually do so, you could loose weight through the exercise. All of these contribute to feeling good. I also read something about gardeners inhaling bacteria which makes them happier. Even if there are no good bacteria to inhale, being outside playing in the dirt as they like, would make them happier. But watch out for the broken glass and dog poo.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

Hey, if walking barefoot on asphalt works for you, go for it. Different strokes and all that jazz.

I grew up walking barefoot so much that I (and my friends) could walk on asphalt when the weather was in the high 90s. I've softened up a bit since then. When I was living on the beach I'd also jog barefoot. I love that feeling. To the people who get shocked by the idea and worry over injuries, you're right to some extent, feet take time to adapt, but it feels wonderful once they do. There's just no real magic to it other than the feeling. I also deadlift barefoot much of the time. Chucks are okay, but not perfect.

Agreed. But you will also end up crusty *kitten* feet so don't plan on strappy slingy sexy high heels anytime soon. Here's a pic of my feets back in the day.

Hawt! But, okay, I'll mark strappy 6" heels off my shopping list. I don't know if my little black dress will work with flats though.

Trust me. No one will be looking at your feet when you put on your dress.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Thank you. That helps.

Excuse me for asking about something I didn't know about. Excuse me for wanting to learn.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

Thank you. That helps.

Excuse me for asking about something I didn't know about. Excuse me for wanting to learn.

It's a legitimate concept that has been combined with woo, and voila! pseudoscience. I thought it was a reasonable question.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

O.M.G. That is sooo sweet!!!! You really think?
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    Earthing involves getting direct contact with the Earth's surface, such as walking barefoot outside. It supposedly works to improve health by neutralizing free radicals. While several sources note that the science behind this is sketchy, there are anecdotal accounts of people who have tried it and reported that it does indeed work wonders. It also seems that the more, the better. Likewise, the less time spent being grounded, the less of a benefit there is.

What do you think? Do you think it sounds plausible?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3265077/

Yes i believe its true . A person is in direct contact with the planet .
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    When outside our body's vibration reportedly slows down to the earth's harmonic, which would be a de-stressor. Also, the sun penetrates your cornea to stimulate your brain to be awake, so you sleep better at night. If you continually do so, you could loose weight through the exercise. All of these contribute to feeling good. I also read something about gardeners inhaling bacteria which makes them happier. Even if there are no good bacteria to inhale, being outside playing in the dirt as they like, would make them happier. But watch out for the broken glass and dog poo.

I'm with you 100% on the gardening. No glass or dog poo in my garden, but I do wear shoes for gardening because there is composted chicken poo.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

I apologize if I struck a wrong note. It was just a bit of silliness. :p
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

I apologize if I struck a wrong note. It was just a bit of silliness. :p

That moment when your sarcasm gets misinterpretted as taking offense. I've enjoyed this thread. All is good.
  • BellaSOUL11
    BellaSOUL11 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I dont know, but I love walking barefoot.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    omg, please do not do the barefoot running thing. There's a reason we made shoes in the first place. You can get parasites, fractured bones, cuts and bruises as well as screw up your arch.

Walking around barefoot in your backyard sure, go for it. But running or exercising barefoot is just asking for an injury.

1c7579lb1e1e.jpeg

I've been asking for injuries for over 3 years now and all I got was strong feet & legs, the best posture I've ever had, brand new arches on lifelong flat feet, the end of 19 years of constant pain in a bad knee and amazingly fun barefoot running and hiking experiences. Barefoot running is very challenging and rewarding and like everything else in life there is always a risk involved. For me, the benefits outweigh the risks and I don't know if there's anything to the "earthing/grounding" claims but I run barefoot 600+ miles/year because I find it very fun!