WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Janetr, hope the girls do make it out there. Glad they are going together, safety in numbers. Plus they will have some one to talk to on their way home and help each other that way.

Pip, I have no idea what your weather is but I can not imaging walking or riding a bike anywhere. It's in the high 80's in the mornings here with a heat index of quite a bit more than that. I make Charlie make sure the car is cool before i go out the door. He likes this time of year because I will let him park in the handicap space so I can be closer to the door and AC. Heat zaps my MS.

Joyce, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Woke up at 4.20. Blah!
    It's because I'm getting nervous about this weekend. We are going to DH's aunt's 90th birthday party in Stratford upon Avon tomorrow and staying the night in a chain hotel a bit of a walk from the party. His sister and boyfriend, nephew and family and his niece will also be at the hotel. Almost any kind of social occasion gets me in a tizzy and I hate car travel of any distance, even though I won't be driving. Best clothes annoy me and as for shoes!!! (Can you tell I'm nervous? ) I've been lying awake wondering about what to take to eat on the long journey and how I can avoid eating too much at the tea party. Definitely not my sort of food and 2pm-4pm is the wrong time of day for me to be eating. We have no plans for the evening and I hate that thing where there is a big group of you and no one can decide what to do. Stratford will be heaving with tourists, of course. Waaaarrrrrgggghhhh!
    Of course, it will all go swimmingly and I am worrying about nothing, but my last experience of this kind of gathering with the same people was not comfortable for me and I had to leave the group to their dithering and exit with DH. I like to be in charge of my own arrangements.
    I must just concentrate on the fact that the party is all about Aunty Irene, who is an amazing woman and a real trooper. We are there to honour her. At times like this I always think of Barbie's quote, "I can put up with anything for a short time that I wouldn't want to put up with for a lifetime." We will be coming home straight away on Sunday as DH has cricket. Hooray!

Thank you all for listening to me vent. I feel sooooooo much better now. :bigsmile:

Got to nip out to the shops today to buy some "hold ups" to wear with my dress. My legs aren't good enough, unlike Chris, :flowerforyou: to go barelegged. Going to wear closed in shoes as well so my toenails don't have to be perfect. Can't face scrubbing up my feet. :ohwell: (not really a summer dress person) I'm going to wear my yoga teacher's "hydrangea " dress. Our room probably won't be ready when we get to the hotel, so I will have to change in the restroom, or wear it in the car for 3 hours. Waaaarrrrrgggghhhh!

Love to all. Heather xxxxxxx
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Barbie and heather. "I can put up with anything for a short time that I wouldn't want to put up with for a lifetime". Thanks for the new quote for my pocket today!
    NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    Heather~ sorry you didn't have a good sleep and all will work out.. remember to accept the things you cannot change and the courage to change the things you.. you can do this!!!
    I did get 8 1/2 hrs sleep last night and my fit bit surge said I took an hour and a half nap yesterday...
    Homer looks adorable as usual.. and I have the weekend off.. DB is up in New Hampshire and will be back this afternoon.. and Sunday is their wedding.... which will be a busy day.. and I will be up there for a week taking care of Faith..
    Horrible Horrible news about the tragedy in France... makes me wonder what this world will be for our grandchildren
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    :'(:s:'( Nice, France.

We spent our first New Year together there.

Heather
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

[/quote]

On mine, some have member by their name, some do not. The ones I've noticed that do not are Glo, Janetr, and KetoneKaren.

This is the weirdest thing. I do not see number of posts by anybody's name.

I am reading from my iPad app. That might make a difference.
    [/quote]

Just noticed the post numbers under each name. Might be new & rolling out at a certain pace? This is a screen shot from my Ipad.......Pat

wummud6qymp9.png

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday, Chris! you look very happy, and lovely.

Funny sleep should be on everyone's mind - slept nearly seven hours last night, took a benadryl at 8 p.m., again when I got up at midnight, and slept until nearly 5 this morning--very happy with that much sleep, but am still a little foggy from the benadryl. We finally got cable TV yesterday, enjoyed watching even the commercials after three months (for me) without broadcast TV, just Netflix.

Off to the races, my chickens... y'all have a good day.
    Lisa in West TX
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Chris ~ Happy Birthday Again! You look so happy and that cheesecake is amazing.

Lisa ~ I took a benadryl and melatonin last night after drinking some Chardoney. It still took me a long time to get to sleep.

We got the u-haul truck back around 8 PM. Got Zaxby's grilled chicken salad. If my son, DnL, and her brother had not helped, we would never have gotten the furniture loaded and unloaded. It is sitting in both our garages until we can figure how to get it up the basement stairs and change around other furniture.

My mom spent a lot (and I mean a lot) of money on buying good quality furniture and it would be a pity to send it to a consignment shop or sale it for almost nothing. I got three nice rugs that I am hoping to be able to steam clean.

Carol
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Sleep! so important...here are the OTC options I know about that might help with sleep: Melatonin, Magnesium Citrate, Glycine, Benadryl. I take Magnesium Citrate 400mg plus Glycine 3g at bedtime and it does seem to help. For some reason Melatonin gives me a slight headache the next morning, and Benadryl is drying (plus antihistamines enhance appetitie in many people). [
    Karen in hot and muggy Virginia

Thanks for sharing this Karen. Not familiar with Glycine...my cocktail consists of Sundown Naturals Valerian Root 530mg and Vitacost Natural Tranquility Magnesium Supplement 350mg. I tend to get a good 5-6 hours with this combo. My Fitbit recorded a change of "restless" periods for avg. of 15 to avg. of 6. Melatonin didn't work for me and as you said Benadryl is so drying.

Cheri

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Chris! Lovely pictures of you and your party goers!

Cheri
  • debbierichardson7186
    debbierichardson7186 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good wishes for DH during heart issues. Heart is more enlarged and not pumping as well. Nothing can be done as this is just progression of his heart disease. I feel blessed to still have him around. First heart surgery was in 1985.
    Know that sleep is important to my wellbeing. I really need about 8 hours.
    Following my eating plan but am not getting enough exercise. Have to get DH to let me go to gym on my own.
  • Tessa238
    Tessa238 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm a newbee and need motivating.. good to meet you all and feel free to add me x
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,917 Member
    Options
    :)Heather, I got uncomfortable just reading about the trip you're taking to your aunt's birthday party. It's a trip I would not have wanted to take. We are usually unable to attend events out of town for financial reasons but when we've felt obliged to go, I remember that someone told me that when I go somewhere I should think about what I can add to the event rather than what I can get out of it. I also applaud your decision to wear something that makes you feel comfortable.

:)Chris, Happy BIrthday, you look fabulous

:)Debbie, the best news is that your husband's heart is still pumping....sleep is important for heart health, so the two of you can enjoy getting more sleep together

:) I overslept today, probably because of not sleeping so well the night before so Brandy and I will get a late start on our walk this morning. I am being good and walking her no more than 15 minutes at a time to help her knee heal....Sasha gets a longer walk.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington where we expect temperatures to reach a toasty 68 degrees today.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Good morning ladies! My DSIL is still here today and we have plans to go out to breakfast and to a couple more antique shops. I had to get up early to get my exercise done so I can have a good breakfast and some treats!

Stronglifts Workout B

Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    OHP- 1X5X 45/50/55/60, 5X5X 50
    DL-1X5X 135

Kettlebell Swing

Russian kettle bell swing 19 X 10 X 30

Chris - Happy Birthday! You look fabulous and the cheesecake looks delicious!

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,844 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies!
    So easy to get behind!
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I haven't been here in forever so certainly didn't read back. I'm back trying to low carb hopefully I can stick to it.
    Good luck to all. And all is well with me for you oldtimers.

See you all lighter.
    Linda in cool Northern Ontario.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Friday! I have to tell you that my heart was just crushed yesterday evening upon hearing the news from Nice, France. :( France has always held a special place in my heart; so I am not sure if it was knowing that this "special place" was being attacked once again, or if it is just hearing of another attack, after feeling like the past few weeks have been a deluge of violence against others...I don't know. It just tires a person out. I felt like a deflated balloon last night. Had a glass of wine and went to bed early.
    Got up early this morning and headed outside for my walk and let the sound of the waves and the feel of the wind on my face blow away the heartache. Anyway, feeling better today. NOT watching the news. Until they have a conclusive report on who the offender was or was affiliated with or better yet; a plan on how to prevent these attacks, I just can't listen to the monotonous drone of facts/rumor/eye witness accounts. EXHAUSTING!
    The kids are arriving and it is a beach day; so we will be spending the morning at the beach, they will have pizza for lunch and hopefully nap like champions this afternoon!
    I have a family reunion tomorrow with a superhero theme. That should be fun. I am bringing a veggie tray, so that I KNOW I will have healthy options. AFter the reunion, dh and I will be heading into Grand Rapids for a friend's 50th birthday. Another opportunity to find a healthy option on the menu... LOL Kind of looking forward to the ordinariness of Sunday!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Barbie- You posted while I was writing. I think Heather's idea to dress comfortably is smart. Just wanted to say that I like the advice your friend gave you about " thinking about what you can add/bring to the celebration". I used to DREAD going to events at my in-laws. Very stuffy and uptight group. I bought what I called "party pants" and wore them often. They were bright and a funky paisley design. Once the in-laws realized that I was just trying to get them to relax, they were okay with me. Still far more reserved than my family; but I will break them in or die trying! >:)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Morning, all.

Sadness in Nice.

Here is a happy little story to help lift the spirits. Late yesterday afternoon my 7 y.o. granddaughter called and asked if the dogs were missing her and if she could spend the night. That was an easy question to answer. So we washed one of the dogs and giggled in the dark while she got sleepy. She was up with the chickens this morning asking to go to swim practice (which her mother had excused her from.) So I took her to practice and then she wanted to walk home, so I crept along in the car as she walked home. She is such a goose. t8520.gif

Karen in Virginia