WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Katla, happy birthday. The superman plank is where you lie on your stomach and extend your arms out straight in front and legs straight out back while arching your back. So you look like superman flying.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,145 Member
    Options
    Katla- Happy Birthday! I hope you have a fun day Celebrating!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,145 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts Workout B

Squat-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    OHP- 1 X5X 45/50/55/60, 5X5X 55
    DL- 1X5X 140

Kettlebell Swing

Russian kettle bell swing-19 X 10 X 30

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge

5 miles

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Sorry Janet! Didn't mean to throw you off! I guess I wasn't totally awake myself. Happy WEDNESDAY!

I did have kind of a NSV yesterday. I have been swimming and can never seem to swim many laps in a row without being out of breath and tired. I usually swim alone, I mean, the life guard and other swimmers are there, but I don't swim with a buddy. When I arrived at the pool yesterday, one of my former daycare parents was there getting ready to do some laps. She swims for an HOUR! She offered to watch a couple of laps and see if she could find the problem. She watched as I huffed and puffed through six laps. She then told me that if I want to swim for 30 minutes non stop or an hour non stop, I need to slow down. So...I slowed down my strokes and made it the entire 30 minutes with out stopping! Whew!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    KJ - lol okay, I'll let you slide. I don't know what day is half the time :) Great job on the swimming.

Janetr OKC
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    KJ That's a real NSV! Pacing during cardio is a learned skill, especially in the water.

Katla t3313.gif You are on the cusp, aren't you? Are you part Leo? 87k7z46o5eo2.gif

Cheri I am in awe. I so much want to reduce my clutter and stored stuff to a pup tent so I can move to a retirement community in a few years but it seems overwhelming. I am more than a bit envious of the alacrity *Barbie taught me that word* with which you are handling this move (and Ros's).

Here is a Superman plank: upcdme6od131.jpg

Karen in Virginia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,071 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Alison gorgeous.

Vicki sorry about your mom.

Katla Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou:
  • baLancedLif3
    baLancedLif3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Michele- you can start out using a dumbbell but as you get to heavier weights you will want to get a kettle bell because of the grip you don't want to accidentally swing a dumbbell through your TV!

Heather - did you have a chance to look at the workout program? It is for five weeks. I only do the four-weeks and I modified it because I do weightlifting. I would suggest doing The swing, goblet squat, and the press. You can do the swing and the goblet squat every day and add the press every other day. Start out with a 10 pound weight or less and only do The number of sets and reps that they advise. Also if you can get the swing timer app on your phone or computer. I do 30 seconds work, it really only takes 10 to 20 seconds for the swing but it doesn't really matter that I set it for 30 seconds, 30 seconds rest. Then however many sets of exercises for that day. You will love it because I always take my kettle bell with when we travel. At 35 pounds now it is a little heavy for a carry on but, my DH doesn't complain!

Karen VA- The short amount of time and the results from the kettle bell are amazing! The key is to increase the weight or reps every five weeks. I started out with 10 pounds and I am up to 35 pounds since last November. The nice thing about it is that you can stop at any point that you feel is working for you. I no longer have any belly fat. When I sit my stomach is pure muscle.

KJLaMore - get the dust rag out! You won't regret it! As you get to a heavier weight you will want to get the Kettlebell because of the handle grip!

Barbie - that is so funny! What Jake doesn't know won't hurt him!

I'm going to mow my lawn this morning before the sun comes out and it gets too hot. We're supposed to have 90° weather here for the next 3 to 4 days. I will have to do my exercises when I get back in. This is my walk for the day, Shep, runs along with me and gets his walking in as well!

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota

Good Morning all!

Just checking out your thread. :)

@fanncy0626 I am really interested in the kettlebell work out! It sounds doable, fun and rewarding. Any advice you can post will be appreciated. Thank you. :)

Look back a couple of days on this thread and you will see videos and the five-week workout program that I do. Also get the swing timer app. If you need further information let me know! And welcome to our group!

<3

Mary from Minnesota

@fanncy0626 I will most certainly take a look! Thank you this looks like a great group! Hope you all have room for one more?

• miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Allie - What alovely DGD!

Miriam - Excellent NSV. You showed them young whippersnappers!

Heather - My honeymoon was spent in Brighton and Bath. I adored the Royal Pavilion when I was there many years before with my parents so I wanted DH to experience it as well. Too bad we got married in Aug. so he didn't get to see the Christmas lights in Brighton. I have not seen the Royal Pavilion since they had to restore it after a fire. Hmmm... I wonder if DH would like to do an anniversary trip back to England.

There was this lovely restaurant in Bath that specialized in small plates. They encouraged the diner to order three or four appetizers instead of a full entre. When my dad passed away we (DH, Mom, Mom's brother and I) went on a trip to England and Wales in memory of Dad. This was 6 years after our honeymoon and the same restaurant was still there (not frequently the case in the US where restaurants come and go with great speed) in Bath. My Mom and Uncle enjoyed it so much we ate there 2 out of the 3 days we were in Bath.
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    #
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    @Marcelynh I forgot to ask you why you were snorting earlier LOL!
  • baLancedLif3
    Options
    Hey all a little bit about me, I am a married mother of two, being a few years from 60. Working towards getting healthier, fitter and stronger by then. Pass experience has shown me .. the "back to the basics " of exercise and cleaning up my food choices is the only way to go. Nothing special, about me.. really. I would love to have the support of you ladies! My photo isn't me .. I have chosen it because in the past I had done weekly Yoga classes and loved it!

BL
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,618 Member
    Options
    happy bdayyyyy katla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    @baLancedLif3 Hi! and Welcome!
  • baLancedLif3
    Options
    @baLancedLif3 Hi! and Welcome!

Thank you, @KetoneKaren!
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I had dinner last night with a group of Red Hat ladies. Not my chapter but we went and visited another local chapter. At one point we went around the table and each person shared one of their favorite summertime activities when we were children. Many women reminisced about playing sports, swimming, roller skating, bike riding, etc. We all talked about if we would survive doing these activities now in our advanced years. I was amused to discover that I would like to try roller skating and bike riding now when that was not something I did as a child.

My favorite summertime activity that I shared with the group was to sit on a blanket under a tree and read to my stuffed animals. I could read for hours. Reading is still a favorite activity.

I'm coming into a joy of moving and exercising late in life.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday, Katla!

Paper's out.

Brain's not dead, but is certainly in oxygen deprivation.

TTYL, love y'all!
    Lisa in West Texas
  • mousemom18
    mousemom18 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I live in Toronto and I'll be 53 in October. That profile picture is me about a year ago and I still weigh about the same. Trying to lose the last 15 pounds. Nice to meet you all!
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,807 Member
    Options
    Good Wednesday. Going to be another HOT one. Count down till Fall. I am working 7-3:30 today so glad to be inside. Last evening talking with my sister I guess now mom has some CHF and gained 2 pounds in the two days she has been in the hospital. Also sounds like they are not going to have any kind of service for my Uncle. I think that is so sad. But not my choice so just have to let it go.

Allison--Love the picture of your DGD.

Barbie--we have a daughter like that, expects us to make our plans around their visit. They have learned we love to see them, but we do it our way. Hope that Jake is feeling better everyday.

Joyce--You and Charlie have sure been thru a lot and I pray things are getting better. I had my gallblader out about 20 years ago after fighting it for several years. Sure have felt better since.

Miriam--Congrates on the NSV.

Michele--What a nice gift from Jess. They can make us cry for lots of reasons and this was one of the better ones.

Heather--Hope you have a great time with the DGBabies. I love spending time with ours every chance I can
    Katla--Happy Birthday. Hope you have a day as special as you are!!!

Meg--Great to see you posting. My mom is in Alliance Hospital and at this time we are planning on going up there on Sunday unless things change.

KJL--Sounds a good NSV to me.

Well caught up for now and time to finish up and get ready to go home. I have the pictures taken from our trip and going to make each of the DGC that went with us a little reminder. So want to finish them up this evening as DH is working the late shift and will be home around 9. Smile and know that each day we are better then the day before.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Cheri I am in awe. I so much want to reduce my clutter and stored stuff to a pup tent so I can move to a retirement community in a few years but it seems overwhelming. I am more than a bit envious of the alacrity *Barbie taught me that word* with which you are handling this move (and Ros's).
    Karen in Virginia

Had to look that word up:

"a·lac·ri·ty"
    noun
    brisk and cheerful readiness

Honestly I have always been like this to the point of being used because of it. However, I do find that things in my life move along a lot easier for me with this attitude. I accept the compliment. :) In a previous career life I would have been a professional organizer!

So the "clean up the back yard stuff" turned into a re-do of the "already packed garage" somehow. Poor hubs just stands there sometimes moving in circles. Overwhelming to him at times. I stepped in and we got all things packed and ready for the truck in one area, all things (a very small pile) going in the mini van in another and we are leaving the garden plants as they are until the day before as to not disturb them too much. We were dripping from the heat (more calories burned?!). Still have to go down to the basement and grab the paints and other hazardous goods going to the hazardous station tomorrow. Needed to put my feet up for a bit.

So as many of you know we moved our daughter in June from Chicago to Midlothian, VA. She has settled in so very well and is the happiest I have seen her in her young adult life. She has started dating again so I know she is in a good place. She has met a really nice Jewish fellow and they are both invested in taking things slowly. So very pleased for her.

Our son, who also lives in Chicago, moved to a new apt. that same week we were in Chicago getting Ros ready for her move. He is closer to Deloitte in The Loop and now walks to work. And being directly across the street from a Jewell flagship store he has been able to eat out much less. Upon hearing the news that we would be moving to Texas he inquired at work as to the availability of his transferring to the Deloitte Houston office to be closer to us! Turns out HE CAN AND IS! They have a position for him in International Tax which is what he wants. He has made a great name for himself in the 2 short years working for Deloitte that there will be no problems with a transfer. So sometime in early fall he will be heading down to Houston. I may have to put on my "alacrity" hat to handle another move and relocation! I will do it happily.

I here the hubs rooting around in the storage closet downstairs. I best go assist....

Laters,

Cheri