Ladies - How many pounds for YOU to lose a pants size?

Replies

• couchsnake
    couchsnake Posts: 5 Member
    I have wider hips, so now at 5'8" and 170lbs I wear a size 16,but when I weighed 70lbs more it was mostly a size 20. Kind of odd.
  • CourtneyYoung2015
    CourtneyYoung2015 Posts: 5 Member
    I'm 4"9 and weighed 90lbs before I was pregnant, and 156 by the time I gave birth. i lost almost all of it but then gained all of it back. I was 155lbs(size 13) 2 months ago, now I'm 120lbs and only down to a size 11!! In high school I was 113lbs in a size 5. I don't understand this
  • BigAnnieG
    BigAnnieG Posts: 89 Member
    I'm over 6ft so a big weight loss comes from all over before I can drop the sizes - usually around 25lbs needs to come off before I dare go down! Top and bottom is different too, my lower abdominals, bum, and thighs are the most stubborn so I'll often drop on the top several weeks before going down a size on the trousers.

It's a double edged sword: it takes forEVER to drop a size and to look noticeably slimmer... but then again I can carry an extra half stone like a dirty little secret nobody else knows about!
  • BigAnnieG
    BigAnnieG Posts: 89 Member
    Do you think it matters HOW you're losing the weight, too? I mean, if you're losing by diet only, or also exercising? I noticed the last time I dropped a size I required fewer pounds off than the last time I'd been at that size, because this time I was going to the gym. I guess that also ties in with the fact that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're gaining muscle you might see a less flabby figure on a higher weight. But then I'm not sure how gaining muscle on a deficit really works for people - I'm pretty sure I managed it at first, because of serious working out and a not-too-big deficit, but could be imagining it (also known as Living In Hope!).
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    40lbs to drop from a UK 22 to a 20. How depressing is that?
  • tklow
    tklow Posts: 3 Member
    This is really interesting information -- I see people here are dramatically different sizes despite being the same height and weight as me. For me, it seems about 10 pounds per size. I am 5'4" with a very small bone structure. My lowest weight I was about 100 lbs and wore size zero to four, depending on the manufacturer. I peaked at 176 and a size 14. I'm currently at 163 and a comfortable 12 (10 in a few brands). The amount of muscle I have seems to be a big factor in what size I wear. I lost a lot of muscle by getting a very sedentary job and my size went up in a couple of years without any weight gain. My next goal is to get down to 150 (I like to set goals in stages) so I should be a comfy 10. Can't wait to find out!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    10 pounds to drop one Misses size for me.
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    I'm not sure exactly. I went from a tight size 18 to a loose fitting 16. I am not ready for a 14 yet. I am 5'7" and have lost 44 lbs.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    At 5' 9" it's about 10 lbs before I drop a size.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    I'm 5'1" From 225 to 193 I went down from a 20 to a 16, but I'm back up to 203 and still in the 16s so I probably could have dropped sooner than I did.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    5'9" and its changed since I got into smaller sizes (all US, standard size by measurement not any particular store). These are pants sizes. My shirt size is always +1

170 - size 8 (ok I'm 175 now, but I am close to this and believe it will happen as I'm about 1/2 an inch away)
    180 - size 10
    190 - size 12
    200 - size 14
    220 - size 16
    240 - size 18
    260 - size 20
  • tklow
    tklow Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2016
    Thanks for that info, tomteboda. I always suspected that as sizes get larger the difference between each size is greater. In the very small sizes (less than a 6) there isn't much difference and 5 lbs can easily push you up a size. This might lead to more frustration for people in the larger sizes because it seems you aren't moving ahead as much as you are! I found as I gained weight it took more pounds to go up a size (which has the other bad effect of helping disguise how much your weight is changing).
    Another interesting topic is, how many bra cup sizes did you go up? I've gone up 4 and the expense of buying new bras every time I gain weight is actually a big issue. This is the one item of clothing least forgiving of weight gain, in my case!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    tklow wrote: »
    Thanks for that info, tomteboda. I always suspected that as sizes get larger the difference between each size is greater. In the very small sizes (less than a 6) there isn't much difference and 5 lbs can easily push you up a size. This might lead to more frustration for people in the larger sizes because it seems you aren't moving ahead as much as you are! I found as I gained weight it took more pounds to go up a size (which has the other bad effect of helping disguise how much your weight is changing).
    Another interesting topic is, how many bra cup sizes did you go up? I've gone up 4 and the expense of buying new bras every time I gain weight is actually a big issue. This is the one item of clothing least forgiving of weight gain, in my case!

For what it's worth, I'm currently wearing a 34 D3 (DDD - US, E - UK). At my heaviest I was a 38 J.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    I'm 5'10 and its about 20-25 pounds per pants size. I've never been below a 14 as an adult, even when I weighed 160-ish ( within "normal" BMI).

Shirts are different, though I need at least a L for shoulder width and sleeve length. I lose from above the waist first, and very noticeably.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    5'5 -
    SW: 226lbs - size 18.
    CW: 177lbs - size 16. I would be shocked if I could fit into a 14.

I've lost almost 50lbs but I just don't seem to be getting much smaller. Kinda frustrating.
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    I'm 5'6" and currently weigh about 170. I've lost 45 lbs, so started at 215ish.

At my highest, I was fooling myself into thinking I wore a size 16. It was probably more like an 18.

The pants I'm wearing right now are a 12 and they fit great.

So, 3 sizes in 45 lbs. I guess that's about what everyone else has said - 15 lbs to a size...
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    i was a size 24. 70 lbs later i am a size 18 but not in all brands. apparently it takes me way more than 10 lbs to lose a dress size! dang apple shape. the hips and thighs of my pants are so loose, but i still have superboobs and tires around my midsection. i wish i could have a panniculectomy, if they remove about 6 lbs of pannus i'd probably be a size 14.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    I lost 50 lbs and went from a 16 to probably a size 10 now (depending on brand). I'm 5'10".

I still have to remember not to grab size XL in everything (and hope it fits). :)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    10-15 for me, j buy the exact same brand/style (boring, I know). They are "curvy" style since I have a small waist and large butt:
    220-16
    205-14
    180-12
    170-10
    160-8
    150-6
    Hope to finish up at 135 and size 4. That being said, I'm still in 8 Old Navy jeans and can wear an old pair of 14 shorts. So sizes really are all over the place.