Pregnancy- July 2011

Options

Replies

• AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Julz- I am sorry that the glucose drink was yucky… I didn’t have fruit punch flavor :( I hope your results are great! I am glad you can relax on the weight gain front. Sounds like your LO is just fine!!

Rachael- I will be hoping that she will come and be ready sooner instead of later :) That makes sense about the back pain thing!

Julie- Thanks for sharing :) I am glad that it wasn’t too bad for you and I hope it gets things going!

DrPooh- Welcome, I don’t have a ton of tips for weight loss as my journey before was more of an exercise one! I guess one thing I have learned prior to pregnancy was to make sure I got all of my water in! Because often I was thirsty not hungry. i would drink a full glass of water before snacking to make sure I really wanted to eat. One idea is have you checked out the Fit for Future Families thread? They are all TTC and have awesome advice.
  • Lindseyjones1717
    Lindseyjones1717 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

I found my way back..just got caught up with everyone's posts!

Brittony-congrats on Emma, she is perfect!

Stephanie- twins! So amazing!

Julie- sounds like you are almost there, how exciting!

Well, I haven't been on here in a month or two..broken phone being replaced with broken phone hasn't helped since that's my internet connection! My doctor set a date for my c-section of September 2nd! Counting the days til I get to meet my babygirl! In the meantime, my daughter will be turning 11 next week and then starting middle school August 22nd..eek! I used to be so upset about having kids so far apart..but now I am really embracing it. I'm realizing how lucky I am to have had so much time with my daughter, and to now be able to go through it all over again with another baby girl! Its getting closer and closer and I just cannot wait!

Hope all is well with everyone, and hope we get news of more beautiful babies born soon!
  • AnneElise
    Options
    Lindsey- You are getting closer to your LO :) Glad to see you back.
  • collinsclan
    collinsclan Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Anne Elise – great job on the exercise! I don’t know how you do it with how bad you are feeling. That was my biggest problem when my nausea was the worst, trying to work out. Now I know that I need to eat heavier before a workout!
    I am very glad that you are discussing further options with your midwives. I hope that they have some good information for you and you get some relief!
    I never got the small comments – just “you don’t look pregnant” because I was already overweight. But even without those, I definitely had moments of worry – especially since everything seemed to be going okay.
    I’m sorry you weren’t able to meet with your midwife but very glad that you were reassured by the appointment. I hope that you meeting on Monday gives you even more reassurance and all the information that you need to be comfortable with your decision, whichever way it goes.
    Having your membranes stripped – to imagine what they are doing, imagine a balloon inside a balloon where they connect at the opening. The midwife inserts a finger into the cervix and sweeps in a circle to separate the two balloons. This is uncomfortable to painful depending on the person and how “tight” the connection is when it’s done. If you are close, they can also catch the bag and break it inadvertently so be prepared to go into labor if it is done!

Mel – I wear my plain band continuously. I wore an engagement ring until I tore a prong and lost one of the little diamonds and haven’t had the money to get it replaced.

Lindsey – welcome (back). My oldest is 11 and entering middle school as well. While we’re different in the fact that I have three other children in the middle, we should stay in touch with dealing with preteens and newborns!

Rachel – I’m sorry about the fight with your friend. I don’t have any close friends near me, but I totally get the getting upset over something you’d have let go by beforehand. And running out of gas stinks; I hope that you didn’t have to walk for it.
    On the induction for a “big baby”. I am 5’9” and during my last three pregnancies was 250+ up to 276. My 2nd was 9.6, 3rd was 8.12 and 4th was 9.3. On ultrasound the day before he was born, my 3rd was estimated to be 9.12 – obviously that was an error in measurements and I was measuring ahead the entire time. It’s entirely up to you of course, but I’d put my faith in my body and believe that I could birth the baby I created unless there was something other like diabetes. Oh and did I mention they were all natural labors? Unmedicated and the last two at home?
    And I will definitely pray the baby has turned back to optimal position!

Julz – (I hope you don’t mind this, trying to separate you from the other Julie – LittleSpy) – Good luck with the glucose test. Our first labors sound very similar – my first was posterior and my waters broke very early which is not a great thing for going natural! Very happy to hear the baby is growing well and you don’t have to force yourself to eat.

Ronya – I’m sorry that you are in a fog. I hope that you got a good night’s sleep and it’s resolved itself a bit. Hopefully your hand is feeling better too.

Rachael – waiting on good news from your appt. That is good news. My first was posterior. DO lots of angry cat stretch and don’t lean back when sitting. Lean forward in the “tripod position” and try to keep your back from curving into the C. Lie only on your left side. All of these will encourage the baby to drop around to the other side. Glad to hear that she grew and your pressure was great! Also good news about the midwife backup, it is very nice to have someone that you can be comfortable with at such and important time.

Danielle – migraines stink. I hope that you find something that will help you get some relief. My neurologist told me 4 tylenol, a coke and rest was really my only option.
    The name blocks are very cute!

Julie – I’m expecting to read that you’re in labor having just read about your upcoming appt. and your contractions waking you during the night. Just read your update – be aware that stripping can lead to a little bleeding. And may not make a difference to being in labor though. Getting up to 4 is considered to move into active labor. Housework mania was always my precursor to labor so there may be something to how you are feeling! And there are ways to get your dh involved that he will likely really enjoy – lots of nipple stim and sex will help!

Sexylily – congratulations! And welcome.

Jen Z. – I’m sorry that you’re not feeling well. I hope that your son has a better night tonight thus allowing you to get the much needed rest!

Tari – I am sorry that you are feeling so badly about yourself and your body right now. I don’t have any great advice, I have come to accept stretch marks as a fact of my life. And comparing myself to others never helps me get where I want to be – it tends to drive me towards food and the couch since I’ll never be good enough!

Kerri – welcome to our list. I lost weight with each of my earlier pregnancies - I think because the baby gave my metabolism a boost. Not to mention that I was consciously eating healthier for the baby. No experience with Sweet Success. I hope you get good information, we’re about a week apart.

Melissa – welcome. No advice on the heat, I’m struggling with it too, so just staying inside during the worst of it.

Maureen – I can hear your frustration. She’ll come soon, no matter what.

Brittony – make sure you take the Dulcolax or similar product it will help overall. As far as breastfeeding, the best way to make sure she’s getting enough is to offer the breast often. If she’s making wet diapers and not fussy, she’s getting enough!

Maria – sorry that you are feeling so bad. I hope that you feel better soon!

Lindsay – what a difficult situation. The guilt is automatic but try not to worry. It’s not good for you or the baby.

AFM: I’ve had some really nice days. Tired but that is a good thing because it is the “we’ve been having fun” tired and not the “these kids and the house is driving me insane” tired. My youngest had her 4 yo checkup today and she’s perfectly healthy. The oldest was seen by the podiatrist and released from care. So overall we’re doing really great!
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options
    oh Julie, what did having your membranes stripped feel like?

To be honest, I thought it was quite unpleasant (a bit painful, IMO) but at least didn't take very long (30 seconds? a minute?). It didn't really hurt much more than the regular checks have, it just took several times longer & there was a bit more pressure. I didn't really know what was going on until she told me after. If I had been prepared for it, it probably wouldn't have hurt as much. It just never crossed my mind that would be something they'd do to me today. I was just expecting the discomfort of the check and then all of a sudden there was all of this other stuff happening that was more unpleasant than usual. :laugh: I was just thinking "Ouch.. OMG...wtf is this woman trying to do to me?!" :laugh: Then when she told me she stripped my membranes & to expect spotting I thought "Oooooh, well, yay then!"

Julie I am so excited for you after this appointment! You are getting so close. I hope that my dr lets me know before she plans to strip my membranes! I heard it can be quite uncomfortable.
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    Hi all!

Brit- OMG!!! Those pictures are sooo awesome. I especially love the one where your hubby has his nose on her face... so cute!

Danielle- I LOVE LOVE LOVE those blocks! Please tell me how you made them? Sorry about the migraines :-(

Anne- Too bad your midwife was sick. At least they are not worried about growth anymore. I really do find that they tend to get us worried about things, that always end up being nothing! I bet you can't wait top get some more answers on Monday.

Katrina- Thank you for the reassurance. No diabetes here so that is all good. Glad you have been having a lot of fun days and that the kids are all well.

Julz- that sucks about that you had a hard time with the test. I am glad that you are measuring ahead as well with your baby bump, makes me feel less alone. Glad that the dr is not concerned about the weight gain either. Only 7lbs, I am impressed!

Lindsay- That is a tough situation with the baby not being healthy. After your post I looked up that genetic disorder, and find myself praying for myself since we never did any testing at all other than the ultrasounds. I am sure that in the end they will be happy for you.

Rachael- Kind of a bummer after your appt hey? Try not to be disappointing you have not progressed yet because now you know why! Hopefully doing some of the exercises that Katrina suggested help.

AFM: Had my appt today and BP is confirmed healthy (for now!) thank goodness. Baby, has also switched back to head down position!!! Yay!!! I am hoping this little one stays that way. Fundal measurement was still 41 (no change) and weight still the same.

Discussed with the dr about possible induction, and he told me that generally they will only push for an induction if there are BP problems. Mothers may elect to have inductions after 38 weeks for suspected large babies but never are "required". He said that the "guessing" of a baby's weight is based on so many factors, and that they will never really know until the baby actually comes for sure. He also said that they will let nature take its course, but that the most important thing is that the hospital is well prepared (I am delivering in a rural hospital... 1 floor, in a town of 7000 (serves closer to 30,000 though) only 3 delivery rooms so they have to make sure that if an emergency comes up they can handle it appropriately. So I feel better after today.
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    Oh, and welcome/congratulations to our newcomers! Welcome to our group, you are sure to love it here!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Julz – (I hope you don’t mind this, trying to separate you from the other Julie – LittleSpy) – Good luck with the glucose test. Our first labors sound very similar – my first was posterior and my waters broke very early which is not a great thing for going natural! Very happy to hear the baby is growing well and you don’t have to force yourself to eat.

No worries. Julz has been a nickname since high school (and since I married my high school sweetheart, it's stuck around). Or, if you prefer, it's actually Julia (I get called Julie a lot, too, but prefer Julz or Julia)
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to the work week ladies - it was a tough day today, phew!

So we had a fab weekend with guests, parties, swimming etc. Even got some good sleep !
    We had about 15 people over on Saturday and I cooked and baked up a storm, fun but rather tiring. Everyone was super complimentary though so it was all worthwhile.
    I made a vegan quinoa salad, a vegan apple pie, a shrimp tomato/corn grilled dish - if anyone wants the recipes just PM me.
    Oh and I think I might have had a BH contraction when I was swimming. My lower belly just sort of tensed up for a minute - is that what they feel like????

EXERCISE:
    4 days of walking for 40 mins or more ( 1 day was 2 hrs 15 mins !) and 30 mins of swimming - I did laps alternating freestyle with breaststroke. All freestyle was toooo tiring for me !

Welcome to all the new ladies -
    DrPooh - how much do you need to lose to get into the healthy zone?
    Melissa - yep, most of the US is pretty hot in the summer. You just need to stay west of joshua tree and north of connecticut and it's fine !:happy: I think there was somebody else on here from NZ....not sure if she's still around. Me and you are close together - I'm due on Oct 22nd.
    Kerri - congrats but sorry about the sugar test. losing weight early on does not seem to be so uncommon, maybe your LO is going through a growth spurt !?
    Lily - congrats - that's a very early appointment - I'm assuming this is your first? me too. My first appt was at 8 weeks I think. The took blood and urine tests and did a vaginal ultrasound. Just stay away from all of the preggo nonos, forbidden foods, drinks etc and your doc will answer all your questions next week.

Julie - exciting developments - come on Maisie!!! Question though - your doc just stripped membranes without asking for your OK? Is that normal? Just want to prepare myself for the later stages........ On the housework - this would be the time to get hubby to do EVERYTHING would it not? :bigsmile:

Rachael - Naughty posterior baby !!! :tongue: Some of those stretches and poses must be worth a try right?

Julz - yuk to the drink but hoping you get good results ! I think I'll be downing one of those again soon.....

Lindsay - sorry to hear about that diagnosis for your DHs cousin. Try not to feel guilty :flowerforyou:

Mel - rings - I never really take mine off but they are sometimes a bit loose so I wear them on my middle finger esp. if swimming.

Brittony - Emma is gorgeous !!! Most newborns look like wrinkly old men but she is magically super cute already :heart:

Anne - sorry you didn't get to see your MW today but your attitude sounds much more positive about the whole decision thing. Good for you!

Jen - hope you got some rest and are feeling better! I was quite pooped on Saturday evening too after taking care of everyone else !

Danielle - love the blocks! yuk on the migranes though, I would be so miserable :frown:

Ronya - ouch a Harry Potter injury !! that's the sort of clumsy business I normally get into

Rachel - glad to hear you are not going to be having any sort of unwanted induction...phew! Sorry about the blow up with your friend but good friends always patch it up, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Steph - OMG TWINS!!!! I'm so excited for you :drinker: :drinker:

Maureen - hope the dizziness has abated and happy for you missing the holiday. I know what you mean, a holiday birthday is the pits. Any day now though :happy:

OK I'm hot and tired, off to bed - sorry if I missed anyone, I tried my best.......
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Victoria -- Yes, she did it without mentioning it at all, let alone asking. I started to be a little upset about it after I realized it had been done without my permission but then I realized it was stupid to be upset because 1) I would've agreed to it anyway at this point and 2) I never expressed that I didn't want any natural induction type stuff done. So, yes, that's apparently something you should bring up and make explicitly clear if you're adamant about being informed of everything first (I would think most OBs/MWs would mention it beforehand but obviously not all of them do...).

Oh yeah, and the random abdominal tightening was probably a BH contraction. I would get them whenever I exercised starting around 22-23 weeks. They didn't start coming when I was at rest until the end of 27 weeks for me. And they've been very regular and very frequent for me since 33+6.
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    Victoria - think the stripping the membrane is something that varies midwife to midwife. My midwife hasnt even checked my cervix let alone stripped my membranes. The policy is to be very hands off in terms of things unless it is asked for.

Next apt is Friday and I will actually get a cervix check (I think). I will discuss having my membranes stripped only because she starts running out of time to come naturally on Friday. I had a few random contractions last night, and just hoping I can make it through work today. Hope everyone else has a good day!
  • collinsclan
    collinsclan Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Rachel – so glad that your BP is confirmed ok and that the baby is again head down. What a relief!

Victoria – sounds like your Saturday party was really good. Glad you had fun!

Maureen – are you using BirthCare by any chance? If so, do you have a favorite? I’ve used them for the past two births, but I have to learn all of the new midwives because other than Alice and Marsha, they’re all new since the last time I was there. Have you been using/taking Evening Primrose Oil? It will help! And they will strip your membranes to try to get you in labor before your time starts running out. They will start giving you suggestions to encourage labor too! They won’t even start talking about inducing until your 41 week appt. and that’s only because it has to be scheduled.

Getting the kids up and going for another family bike ride since DH doesn’t have to go in to work until late today but I have a 10:00 meeting so we can’t get to the gym. The heat is killing me, but I’m looking forward to it!
  • AnneElise
    Options
    Katrina- I only manage to get good walking and exercise in lately when I have a friend or family to walk with me. There is NO motivation feeling crappy any other time. Thanks for the membrane stripping info… that is one way they usually try to start an induction (as I read anyways). So glad that your tired is a good tired!! Good for you going on the family bike ride, I love that your family is so active! Such a good thing to teach your kids!

Rachel- So glad abour your BP! That’s great news. It really sounds like the appointment went well and that they are going to work with you for what you wish!

Victoria- Sounds like a fun busy weekend! That’s what my BH felt like at the start too! I would have them while exercising and at bed time randomly form like 20 some weeks on… they have picked up for me about 34 weeks but nothing as regular as Julies (or at least I can’t really tell).

Maureen- Whoo hoo! I hope that tonight is the night for you! Or maybe you will have a due date baby :)

Bah so funny story. Last night I was telling DH all about my appointment and how the MW could feel the babies head down low during the strep B swab and he looks at me with this look and says, was the swab really long.. I was like um no not long at all (not sure what he is thinking at this point), and he says so I don’t think we can “do the deed” anymore that would be just too awful if I poked the baby ahahah.

Also I don’t remember who mentioned this but I think my clearing out has started. I think you guys said yours was around this time too. I have had so many very soft bowls in the last couple of days.
  • jenzimmer
    jenzimmer Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Rach- YAY about your BP that's great! So glad to hear that! I'm hoping my next visit she says the same. It was a little up for me at my last appt and they are going to watch it. I'm trying not to worry cause that will just make it worse! :wink:

I'm feeling better today, not 100% but better. Thanks ladies for all the support.
  • lilibe
    lilibe Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. My DH’s cousin’s baby for sure has Trisomy 18. She is a couple weeks behind me in the pregnancy, so I’m guessing she’s about 14 or 15 weeks now. I guess the doctors have been concerned about this pregnancy for a while now (not sure why). I’m getting my info from my MIL, who’s talking to her sister, so the info is a bit spotty. They have already lost the baby, and DH’s cousin is going to the hospital tomorrow. It’s really sad. This is their second child and they are such a wonderful family. Trisomy 18 is something that can be seen on an ultrasound.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Anne -- Yep, I got the poops at 35+6. :laugh: Then again a few times after that. That first time was the worst. I felt so sick.
    I've been nauseous and not really wanting to eat much since yesterday.
    Funny about your husband. Yesterday the doctor told us to go have sex. :laugh: So last night I got up to go to bed, went to my husband & said in my most sexy voice (which is also probably my least sexy voice :laugh:), "Are you ready to poke your daughter in the head?" Of course the answer was absolutely not. :laugh:

I'm at work. Gah, I'm so uncomfortable. There are times when I'll get a shooting/stabbing pain that almost makes me uncontrollably vocal. It's the same place I've been getting those types of pains for weeks but they're a WHOLE lot more painful now. I can squeak and whimper at home and apparently that actually helps because it makes me a lot more uncomfortable to force myself to stay quiet. I never thought I'd be very vocal during labor because it seems like a waste of energy but I guess you end up doing whatever you need to do to get through.
    I can't believe I've only been here for an hour. I'm just trying to make it to 12.30 or 1 I think but to be honest I'm not sure I'm going to make it even that long. The contractions I can pretty easily handle while working but these shooting pains are killer. My supervisor isn't in the office which blows because I wanted to let her know I only want to work half days from this point on.
  • jenzimmer
    jenzimmer Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Anne -- Yep, I got the poops at 35+6. :laugh: Then again a few times after that. That first time was the worst. I felt so sick.
    I've been nauseous and not really wanting to eat much since yesterday.
    Funny about your husband. Yesterday the doctor told us to go have sex. :laugh: So last night I got up to go to bed, went to my husband & said in my most sexy voice (which is also probably my least sexy voice :laugh:), "Are you ready to poke your daughter in the head?" Of course the answer was absolutely not. :laugh:

I'm at work. Gah, I'm so uncomfortable. There are times when I'll get a shooting/stabbing pain that almost makes me uncontrollably vocal. It's the same place I've been getting those types of pains for weeks but they're a WHOLE lot more painful now. I can squeak and whimper at home and apparently that actually helps because it makes me a lot more uncomfortable to force myself to stay quiet. I never thought I'd be very vocal during labor because it seems like a waste of energy but I guess you end up doing whatever you need to do to get through.
    I can't believe I've only been here for an hour. I'm just trying to make it to 12.30 or 1 I think but to be honest I'm not sure I'm going to make it even that long. The contractions I can pretty easily handle while working but these shooting pains are killer. My supervisor isn't in the office which blows because I wanted to let her know I only want to work half days from this point on.

OMG, that made me laugh so hard! :laugh: When I was expecting DS I couldn't get my husband to touch me with a ten foot pole. He was always concerned about the baby. I was like "THE BABY IS FINE! STOP FLATTERING YOURSELF, YOU'RE NOT THAT BIG!" LOL! No one ever tells you that part of pregnancy though! This time around it doesn't even phase my husband I'm pregnant. I asked him the other day what the deal was. He said, "Well with Kayden you were HUGE, just big every where. This time, it's just all your belly and everything else looks the same." Ok????? Is that a compliment? Men are funny. I know he meant it to flatter me, but really?! :huh:
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Haha, Jen. I'm the reason we haven't really done anything in a long time because it's been super uncomfortable for me. But now that I'm so uncomfortable ALL the time, I figure why not? :tongue: But now that he knows I'm over 3cm dilated & the only thing really between his ding dong and her head would be the amniotic sac, he's not so much turned on. :laugh: I'm just ready for my water to break to get the show on the road.
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    Rach- YAY about your BP that's great! So glad to hear that! I'm hoping my next visit she says the same. It was a little up for me at my last appt and they are going to watch it. I'm trying not to worry cause that will just make it worse! :wink:

I'm feeling better today, not 100% but better. Thanks ladies for all the support.

Thanks Jen!Here is hoping that yours stays ok!
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    Julie – you’re hubby sounds like mine. He’d probably want me admitted to the hospital if the doctor told me that. I think it’s weird that she didn’t ask or tell you beforehand about stripping your membrane.

Rachael – yea for a good appointment! I’m glad she’s growing and everything looks good.

Julz – as long as baby is growing and healthy that’s all the matters. Fingers crossed for good results on the glucose test!

DrPooh – welcome! The best thing I can say while losing weight is to drink lots and lots of water. After you’re pregnant you really don’t need to increase your calories until the second trimester and as long as you’re not high risk you can continue to do the same exercises you did before.

Lindsey – welcome back!

Katrina – I’m glad you kids are healthy and your son has been release from the doctors’ care.

Rachel – yea for good BP and a head down baby!!!!!

Victoria – 15 people? I love to cook and have people over, but don’t think I could handle that right now. I get really tired so fast lately.

Anne – :laugh: at what your hubby said. Mine would probably suggest that we keep it up to bring on labor. :laugh:

Jen – glad you’re feeling better! And I’d take that as a compliment, I’m pretty sure most men don’t think about how something sounds before they say it.

Lindsay – I’m so sorry. I can't imagine what they are going through.

Apparently I look like I’m ready to pop. Last night we went to visit hubbys aunt in the hospital and when we walked up to the information desk to find out room she’s in the woman asks, “Do you need to go to labor and delivery?” :noway: Nope, not for 3 more months. :laugh:

I feel so gross today, my baby apparently thinks we’re back in the first trimester. I’m nauseous and a little dizzy. Come on baby, get it together here!