Casey Anthony Trial!!!

Options

Replies

• jalapenos
    jalapenos Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Coming from a lawyer:

The prosecution failed to make their case. Plain and simple. The jury did their job correctly and made a decision based on the facts presented, not their emotions or personal opinions. As someone pointed out, each count has very specific criteria associated with it, and the prosecution did not do a good enough job meeting these criteria. Most of their evidence was circumstantial at best.

Our legal system was designed the way it was for a reason. Innocent until proven guilty, and the burden of proof is on the prosecution to prove her guilty, not on the defense to prove her innocent. The prosecution failed to do so beyond a reasonable doubt.

I agree- beyond a reasonable doubt.
    She should have at least got convicted of the 2nd or 3rd charge. She got away with the biggest lie of all- and she knows it. She didn't get a convicted in the death of her daughter today but I would hate to stand next to her when her judgement day comes. Caylee rolled over in her grave today and I can only pray for Caylee.
    I don't know what is more sad:
    *that she could profit from her daughter's death,
    *that she is capable of having more children or
    *if and when others are on trial for murder they will reference this case to get off on technicalities.
    A very sad day.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Circumstantial evidence everywhere. Also, I really don't understand that severe an amount of empathy to take your vacation time to visit where the body of a dead little girl was found. It's really sad and tragic, but if people are this emotional about some child they never even knew, I don't know what they'd do when they lost someone close to them.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Where is Dexter when we need him
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Very very upset about the verdict!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    What are you guys talking about?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    This was posted on my friend's Facebook page---

She won't last long in the general public. In prison, she could have been kept in solitary so the other inmates wouldn't have killed her. She's now going to need security protection because of all the people outraged by the word "not" coming before guilty. We may not have to wait until God judges her before she gets hers.

Whether or not you agree with the verdict, I just wonder how many butt kickings she will have to endure when she goes out to her parties???
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Here is my take and it may not be popular. But the prosecution did not prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt. Did Casey kill her daughter? Yes she did. Did the prosecution PROVE she did it? No, they dropped the ball. Instead of relying on evidence they just played on emotions. The defense was able to poke so many holes in what evidence the State did have and in the end the jury followed the evidence and not their emotions. I think that Jose Baez and Cheny Mason had great closing arguments the other day where they attacked the lack of hard evidence. That said, she did just get away with murder. But we all meet our maker one day and she will have to answer for her actions.

THIS.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Circumstantial evidence everywhere. Also, I really don't understand that severe an amount of empathy to take your vacation time to visit where the body of a dead little girl was found. It's really sad and tragic, but if people are this emotional about some child they never even knew, I don't know what they'd do when they lost someone close to them.

I was thinking along the same lines.
  • pricetm83
    pricetm83 Posts: 49
    Options
    We know that she used to knock her kid out so she could party.
    We know that she didn't report her missing for a month.
    We know that she showed no emotion over the whole thing.
    We know that she lied to the police.
    We know the trunk of her car smelled like a dead body.

That was enough to get her. These are facts, not emotions.

- We actually don't KNOW this one

- Yes but it does not prove murder

- This is subjective, and also does not prove murder

- Which she was found guilty of

- Yes, but does not link Casey to her death - it is only circumstantial evidence

Look I am with you, she IS guilty, but the evidence just sucked.

http://research.lawyers.com/ask-a-lawyer/Is-Circumstantial-Evidence-Enough-to-ConvictU-5709.html

http://www.southcarolinacriminaldefenseblog.com/2010/03/state_v_frazier_convictions_fo.html

Lets not forget the Scott Peterson trial either. Circumstantial evidence can be used to connect the dots and convict.

These trials were in two completely different states. Every state has their own rules regarding circumstantial evidence and how heavily it can, and should, be weighed during jury deliberations. And just because circumstantial evidence can be used to convict, should this be the rule? How many innocent people have been released after being convicted on circumstantial evidence? I am a lawyer and have studied and actually SEEN cases to this effect.

I am not saying that Casey didn't murder her child, in fact, I think she did. But if the evidence didn't conform to the rules that would have allowed the jury to convict her, then she must be aquitted. Our legal system is flawed, but it could be SO much worse.
  • sparrows7
    sparrows7 Posts: 59
    Options
    I don't why people are blaming the jurors. The prosecutors did not have a great case against her. While she probably did do it, they should have waited until they really did have a smoking gun. Now she can't be tried again.

Me personally I would rather live in a country where a few bad go free than in a country where we can throw people in prison for life with no real evidence.
  • Penguinita
    Penguinita Posts: 159 Member
    Options

Yes, Dark Knight where art thou?!
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options

That was enough to get her. These are facts, not emotions.

- We actually don't KNOW this one

- Yes but it does not prove murder

- This is subjective, and also does not prove murder

- Which she was found guilty of

- Yes, but does not link Casey to her death - it is only circumstantial evidence

Look I am with you, she IS guilty, but the evidence just sucked.

http://research.lawyers.com/ask-a-lawyer/Is-Circumstantial-Evidence-Enough-to-ConvictU-5709.html

http://www.southcarolinacriminaldefenseblog.com/2010/03/state_v_frazier_convictions_fo.html

Lets not forget the Scott Peterson trial either. Circumstantial evidence can be used to connect the dots and convict.

These trials were in two completely different states. Every state has their own rules regarding circumstantial evidence and how heavily it can, and should, be weighed during jury deliberations. And just because circumstantial evidence can be used to convict, should this be the rule? How many innocent people have been released after being convicted on circumstantial evidence? I am a lawyer and have studied and actually SEEN cases to this effect.

I am not saying that Casey didn't murder her child, in fact, I think she did. But if the evidence didn't conform to the rules that would have allowed the jury to convict her, then she must be aquitted. Our legal system is flawed, but it could be SO much worse.

so true! at least we have a system
  • JustBreathSB
    JustBreathSB Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was, and am very upset about the verdict. With all this evidence piled up they can't prove without a doubt that she did it? Even if she didn't kill her, I think she still knows and is hiding something. She's lied way too much throughout this trial. What really sucks, is that even if she comes out in the future and says she did it, she can't be accused again. She'll get hers in the end though, God judges us all. Not to mention she now gets to live in public scrutiny for the rest of her life. Nobody is ever going to forget this. Hope she's got a body guard lined up, I have a feeling people are going to go to town on her *kitten*.
  • sweetheart37
    sweetheart37 Posts: 174
    Options
    i cant believe she got away with it ,sucks big time . but i believe karma is a ***** and she will get hers
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I was, and am very upset about the verdict. With all this evidence piled up they can't prove without a doubt that she did it? Even if she didn't kill her, I think she still knows and is hiding something. She's lied way too much throughout this trial. What really sucks, is that even if she comes out in the future and says she did it, she can't be accused again. She'll get hers in the end though, God judges us all. Not to mention she now gets to live in public scrutiny for the rest of her life. Nobody is ever going to forget this. Hope she's got a body guard lined up, I have a feeling people are going to go to town on her *kitten*.

What evidence?
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    The more I hear about this, the more upset I get.

While I can understand that they didn't have enough evidence according to the system's rules to prove her guilty, I do NOT agree with it. We all know she did it.. And it's SICK that she will be walking free.

What a devastating day. That poor, sweet, baby girl.. Murdered by her own mother, and no justice served. :frown:
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    All you need is one person on the jury to have a little doubt. 1 out of the 12 only has to have a slight doubt. That leads to a not-guilty verdict.

Anyone with two brain cells to rub together knows that she killed her child. But all it takes is a tiny shred of doubt in 1 of the 12 jurors.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options

^^^^^I loved you!!!!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Very sad day in this country.
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    All you need is one person on the jury to have a little doubt. 1 out of the 12 only has to have a slight doubt. That leads to a not-guilty verdict.

Anyone with two brain cells to rub together knows that she killed her child. But all it takes is a tiny shred of doubt in 1 of the 12 jurors.

For a guilty or not guilty verdict ALL 12 MUST AGREE.

I wish the media would focus on real fact reporting and stop playing lawyers.