• x_xKarina
    x_xKarina Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    @bugzinc

Better now. You?
  • bugzinc
    bugzinc Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    @KarinaIsLosingIt working. As always. At some point, science has got to find a way to add more hours to our days. Or I need to move to one of them countries that does the 4 day work week. I need more time back to myself.
  • x_xKarina
    x_xKarina Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    @bugzinc

I so agree to that. Lol
  • bugzinc
    bugzinc Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Is this a new thing? I haven't been formally introduced to the bearded lady fetish. Although, I rather not do a google search on bearded lady fetishes on my work computer. Man, kids these day be into some weird things. #toEachisown?
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    My dad instilled in me and my sister the "equal/equal" mantra. For example, when I last drove down to his place in Kentucky, my truck's alternator died. He paid for a new one, 3 drive belts, and installation at his friend's garage. That day, he sent my sister a check

Interesting philosophy! I asked my parents about that once because my college cost a lot more than my sister's and they basically said "we help reach of you in your need and if there are any feelings of inequality you two can work it out with inheritance when we die." There's no resentment though as my sister and I have both received plenty from them (both emotionally and financially).

When we had children my husband insisted I stay home with them. for a long time I felt he was critical of what I didn't get done at home (I had 3 kids under 3 and bad PPD it was a miracle we were all alive :expressionless: ) so I finally asked him what his priority was. Turns out that the things I had assumed world bother him (toys on floor, vacuuming etc) and worked hard to tidy he didn't even notice. But he got really stressed if there were dishes in the sink and he was low on clean socks. knowing what he most wanted accomplished gave me a goal for the moments when I could get some work done and told me what I could let slide when the day got out of hand. Since we worked that out he almost never nags anymore. (It works for my priorities too. Now he knows that I'm a much happier wife if I get lots of hugs and his undivided attention for a few minutes a day, when he used to think he was serving me by doing extra chores for me instead. Love languages and all that. )
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    @RunRachelleRun I try to not bug her about it too much, because she can be overwhelmed easily if I start ticking off the stuff I'd like her to help with when I'm gone. I'll maybe ask her to get pet food or something, but most of the time I have to do it myself. She's being treated for depression, and I've asked her to consider seeing a therapist or possibly fine-tuning her meds, but it's tough to motivate her to explore outside her comfort zone.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    terakrantz wrote: »
    terakrantz wrote: »
    Married here. 9 whole months. Always looking for sarcastic, witty, bearded friends though. Men or women, of course.

I don't have a beard though
    Some women can grow a beard.

I think I could :(

Original post was half sarcastic half giving the middle finger to pcos :)

I haven't even been diagnosed with pcos lol

Given that I don't come from a long line of bearded ladies, but rather those of smooth chins, I assume this is probably the case.

My thick, dark moustache could be the envy of many young men too.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My dad instilled in me and my sister the "equal/equal" mantra. For example, when I last drove down to his place in Kentucky, my truck's alternator died. He paid for a new one, 3 drive belts, and installation at his friend's garage. That day, he sent my sister a check

Interesting philosophy! I asked my parents about that once because my college cost a lot more than my sister's and they basically said "we help reach of you in your need and if there are any feelings of inequality you two can work it out with inheritance when we die." There's no resentment though as my sister and I have both received plenty from them (both emotionally and financially).

Like I said, I think a lot of it was because the breakup of my parent's marriage was incredibly difficult for us (I was 11, my sister was 9). Over time, I've become a lot closer to my dad, and my sister has become close to my mom. But, my dad still, to this day, feels guilty about the breakup. Now for college, my dad, mom, and I split the cost 3 ways, and when I first moved out, they both would send me the same amount monthly to help me get started. Honestly, I think I'd likely be the same way if I had kids, too...
  • RunRachelleRun
    edited July 2016
    Options
    When we had children my husband insisted I stay home with them. for a long time I felt he was critical of what I didn't get done at home (I had 3 kids under 3 and bad PPD it was a miracle we were all alive :expressionless: ) so I finally asked him what his priority was. Turns out that the things I had assumed world bother him (toys on floor, vacuuming etc) and worked hard to tidy he didn't even notice. But he got really stressed if there were dishes in the sink and he was low on clean socks. knowing what he most wanted accomplished gave me a goal for the moments when I could get some work done and told me what I could let slide when the day got out of hand. Since we worked that out he almost never nags anymore. (It works for my priorities too. Now he knows that I'm a much happier wife if I get lots of hugs and his undivided attention for a few minutes a day, when he used to think he was serving me by doing extra chores for me instead. Love languages and all that. )

That is so great that you were both able to express what you needed. I truly find that when I tell my husband what I need, he will usually find a way to help, and vice versa. He prefers to volunteer than be asked to do things, so it sometimes takes strategic thinking to manipulate him into volunteering.
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    @RunRachelleRun I try to not bug her about it too much, because she can be overwhelmed easily if I start ticking off the stuff I'd like her to help with when I'm gone. I'll maybe ask her to get pet food or something, but most of the time I have to do it myself. She's being treated for depression, and I've asked her to consider seeing a therapist or possibly fine-tuning her meds, but it's tough to motivate her to explore outside her comfort zone.

Oh yeah, that would bug me too. That's not what I meant at all. I was suggesting you could make a list together of household cleaning tasks to do at the same time when you both have a day off. Then let her choose what task she prefers.

For example, my husband and I will basically clean the house on Saturday morning together. He always chooses dusting and vacuuming, so I do what's left: the bathrooms and kitchen. In one hour, I'm done. In two hours, the house is clean. Laundry and stuff gets done regularly. Maybe if you do it together, she will feel more involved. And doing it together, I learned that he hates cleaning bathrooms. We no longer clean together most of the time. Now, I just take care of the bathrooms and kitchen on my schedule. He does the vacuuming and dusting on his own schedule. I thought this evolution might happen for your wife, too, and she'd begin to feel responsible for a certain task that she feels she has selected. Depression makes all tasks quite difficult. My son has severe depression and it presents so many challenges. I'm sorry you both are living with that.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    When I was little, my mom's mother and siblings would all sit around watching Jeopardy,each with a pair of tweezers in their hands, plucking away at the hair on their chinny chin chins... :s I was always scared to grow up and face this weird phenom; luckily, I don't think I got THAT gene, thankfully.
  • Getfitat54
    Getfitat54 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Hi there all!
  • Lonestar5715
    Lonestar5715 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    When I was little, my mom's mother and siblings would all sit around watching Jeopardy,each with a pair of tweezers in their hands, plucking away at the hair on their chinny chin chins... :s I was always scared to grow up and face this weird phenom; luckily, I don't think I got THAT gene, thankfully.

The image your story brings to my mind cracks me up. The things that influence a child's perspective!! Lol
  • Getfitat54
    Getfitat54 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Do you get support from your spouse???
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Getfitat54 wrote: »
    Do you get support from your spouse???

My husband is always reminding me, asking me, encouraging me, helping in ways he can for me to exercise. He knows it's good for my physical health in many ways. For my mental well being. My happiness. My dancing. He is supportive of my dietary needs as well. And it's been challenging because I have a malabsorption disorder and need to be on a very specific and home cooked diet. And I can't easily eat at restaurants. But, hopefully with time I will improve and recover and be able to digest more foods again. I have improved significantly. He is very supportive in general of me. And of my dancing. I am supportive of him as well.
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options

Ha. That's cute. Well, mine is a relatively new phenom - only 5 years or so ago. I asked my family about it, just in case there was a secret hair problem I didn't know about, and everyone acted like they'd never heard of such a thing.

When my son was little (4 or 5), he asked my sister-in-law very sweetly and sincerely whether that was grass growing on her face. She still brings that up when she sees him lol. But she only has a couple long chin hairs; which I think is normal. I have too many to pluck. And the really stupid thing is that my eyebrows are disappearing. I need a hair transplant.
  • nahmm83
    nahmm83 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    How many of you like to watch what your spouse watches on TV or vice versa? Currently watching Roadkill (automotive adventure, project cars, hot rods).....and I thoroughly enjoy it!
  • DarleneReid577
    DarleneReid577 Posts: 4,401 Member
    Options
    projectsix wrote: »
    I'm trying really hard to want to participate in this thread but all you married people write book-sized posts! Do you guys have time to write such lengthily posts just due to the lack of sex from being married?

Yup that's it... we are on MFP because we have no sex life.....REALLY
  • DarleneReid577
    DarleneReid577 Posts: 4,401 Member
    Options
    nahmm83 wrote: »
    How many of you like to watch what your spouse watches on TV or vice versa? Currently watching Roadkill (automotive adventure, project cars, hot rods).....and I thoroughly enjoy it!

My husband likes wild TV and the fishing network so no I don't enjoy watching what he enjoys but we watch comedy channel together.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    nahmm83 wrote: »

Occasionally we watch a show together. Or movies. I don't really watch tv. My husband watches more. I just don't really get into it.