July (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    I can't seem to catch up with the posts...

Date....Miles
    7/01.....5.6
    7/02.....4.8
    7/03.....2.8
    7/04.....Rest
    7/05.....3.4
    7/06.....9.9
    7/07.....2.2
    7/08.....5.0
    7/09.....3.5
    7/10.....Rest
    7/11.....6.4
    7/12...11.3
    7/13.....2.3
    7/14.....6.0
    7/15 ~ 7/18 Enjoying visitors in town
    7/19.....3.5
    7/20.....6.4
    7/21.....3.1
    7/22.....6.0
    7/21 ~ 7/26 Enjoying visitors in town
    7/27.....6.3
    7/28...13.3...102.5

Upcoming Race: 8/21 AFC Half Marathon

exercise.png
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Rest day today, so I managed to catch up with the last few pages.
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    I'm thinking I can slack off at Rochester and still BQ for 2018, just run somewhere around a 3:30.
    @MobyCarp Running a 3:30 marathon is an interesting definition of "slacking off" :p
    On my more optimistic days, I'm hoping I can run 4:30 in my first marathon, but I'll be happy with anything <5:00h...

@Somebody_Loved I went on vacation for two weeks in June, during which I did something like 2 per week, for ~10km weekly distance. Afterwards, I just went back to my pre-vacation standard of ~50km weekly distance without problems. But then, I did a lot of hikes in the mountains during the vacation, so it wasn't really rest for my legs. ;) Just judge how you feel and take it easy; if your knees keep bugging you, better be extra careful.

@orphia Wow, beautiful pics! If you didn't live on the other side of the planet, I'd come and visit you :)

@skippygirlsmom That running form analysis sounds really interesting and useful. What a cool thing to do!

@kristinegift Hah, I can imagine. During university, I spent two years sharing a kitchen and a single shower with nine other people. Moving to my own place and suddenly getting to cook or shower whenever I wanted was bliss!

@shanaber So did your research already lead to a choice of running shoes, and if yes, which? And did your shopping therapy leave you with any non-running purchases?
    And on the fall: Ouch, that sounds nasty; and so shortly before your HM that sucks even more! Fish oil helps with inflammation? I usually go for chamomile tea and cherry juice; but fish oil sounds like it tastes a lot worse, so hopefully it will help more. I'll keep my fingers crossed that all is well by Sunday!

@TattooedDolphinGirl78 The ZR race missions are all great! At what point are you with the story missions? I did all the race missions right after finishing season 1 - which was not the perfect place to fit them in; because it took me a moment to warm up to the idea of running for New Canton. Archie nearly drove me insane with her chatter in the 5k. Fortunately, by the time I did the 20k mission, I had already gotten to like her. But in any case, with those missions you won't be bored, that's for sure.

@mbaker566 Sorry to hear you are sick, hope you get well soon!

@AdrianChr92 More new shoes? Nice!!

@ddmom0811 Wow, you surpassed your goal a lot, and that on top of all the other exercise. Great job!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    7/1- REST
    7/2- REST
    7/3- REST
    7/4- 13.1 RW&B HM 2:15:26
    7/5- REST
    7/6- REST
    7/7- REST
    7/8- REST
    7/9- 5.0
    7/9- 1.0
    7/10- 4.23
    7/11-REST
    7/12- 6.01
    7/13- 4.04
    7/14- 2.01
    7/14- 5.0
    7/15- REST
    7/16-9.06
    7/17- REST
    7/18- 4.03
    7/19- 6.91
    7/20- 7.01
    7/21-8.24
    7/22- REST
    7/23- 14.01
    7/24- REST
    7/25- 4.05
    7/26- 6.82
    7/27- 6.26
    7/28- 7.13
    7/29- REST <--- HA HA didn't happen. 4.02 miles

July Mile goal: 118.08/70

Actual goal: Run the Red White and Boom HM well, recover well, run the Park Point 5 Mile (5 mile PR!) and begin training for September Boundary Waters Bank HM.

Today's notes:Today was SUPPOSED to be a rest day. Well, when I was getting my little man ready for our normal walk, he went to the closet and grabbed my Ghost 8's. I glared at him and our conversation went like this he's 20 months):

Me: *glaring* it's not a run day
    Little Man: *big smile*
    Me: It is NOT a run day
    LM: *bigger smile* HAHAHAHAHA
    Me: Are you serious?
    LM: *even bigger smile and more laughing*
    Me: Ok Ok, I'll go get my gear.

We went 4 miles at 10:06 pace. For an unplanned run, pushing additional weight in the stroller and little man, it was a good run. Tomorrow's long run is going to be more tired than usual though. I've never run the day before a LR in the past....new addition to my running schedule maybe?
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    My run yesterday afternoon awesome. Had I had enough time, I would have done another couple of miles, but even the four was pushing my time limit. It was a few degrees cooler than it had been. The temp dropped from a quick storm that blew through the area about a half hour before I went out, so it was cooler, but super humid. Still, I felt amazing. I guess the temperature is affecting me a lot more than I'd like to believe it is.

07/06 2.50 mi
    07/08 3.00 mi
    07/10 2.00 mi
    07/12 3.00 mi
    07/14 3.00 mi
    07/16 4.00 mi
    07/18 2.50 mi
    07/20 5.00 mi
    07/22 3.00 mi
    07/26 3.00 mi
    07/28 4.00 mi
    TOTAL 35.00 mi

Upcoming 2016 Races:
    08/06 – Foreman Foundation Chocolate Tour 10K
    09/18 – Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon
    09/24 – The Great Pumpkin Run 5K
    10/09 – 5,000 Yards Dash
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    July
    1-4.6mi with incline between 1-13. slow and steady
    2-nope
    3-nope
    4-nope
    5-hip and foot cramps, nope
    6-flare. jog or yoga tonight. not sure which
    7-4.11mi sprint intervals. it felt good.
    8-2 hrs of aerial yoga
    9-beat up from yoga
    10-hungover. heartbeat hurt my head
    11-still kinda hungover. too old to party
    12-slept thru my alarms and my skin is on fire. i might sneak a run in tonight. maybe. depends if clothes feel comfortable
    13-nothing-aerial yoga tonight
    14-lazy and a few nagging foot and groin strain issues
    15-nope
    16-6.65 mi run and 1.5km walk for pokemon
    17-nothing
    18-slept thru my alarms
    19-nothing
    20-teaching 1 hour of aerial yoga and 1 hour of foam rolling this evening
    21-nothing
    22-3-4 hours of aerial yoga/lyra demo
    23-1hour of aerial yoga
    24- 1.5 aerial hammock/lyra
    25- nothing
    26-3.70 mi it was a good run but a slow run. i need to run continuous again. i've been doing intervals and had a hard time running for more than five min without a 1min break after
    27-teaching 1 hour of aerial yoga and 1 hour of foam rolling this evening
    28-slept in. beat up from some moves, and the foam rolling
    29-slept in, sick, 2-3 hours of aerial yoga and lyra tonight

exercise.png

• Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    1/7: 4.5 Miles
    3/7: 8.1 Miles
    5/7: 6.5 Miles
    7/7: 6.3 Miles
    9/7: 9.0 Miles
    11/7: 5.1 Miles
    13/7: 6.3 Miles
    15/7: 5.1 Miles
    17/5: 5.1 Miles
    20/7: 3.7 Miles
    22/7: 6.6 Miles
    25/7: 3.7 Miles
    27/7: 3.7 Miles
    29/7: 3.7 Miles

exercise.png
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    @MNLittleFinn: Thanks. The coffee maker I use several times per week has a timer on it (on days I'm not using that, I'm using my French press). Unfortunately, it takes me at least an hour to wake up in the mornings. I am an absolute mess otherwise. I think what I need to try to do is wake up, put running attire on, and head out the door before my brain completely understands what is going on, but the prospect of running at 5am is just so completely unappealing to me especially since the idea of simply being awake at that hour is saddening. It's all in my head. I'm working on trying to change my outlook. If only I had my father's love for mornings...

@kristinegift: I'm glad you're all settled, and I hope you can find a good place with a better bathroom to person ratio! In college I had a 4:1 ratio for a year, and it was pretty miserable. I've only ever had a 3:1, 2:1, or 1:1 before and since then. I'm not quite sure how I survived that year with four people to one bathroom. I'm not sure how I'd survive with a 6:1 ratio! Also, I have no doubt you'll BQ. You've been crushing it! And thanks for the little recommendation of Oiselle. I'll soon be in the market for some new running gear, so I'll definitely be checking them out!
  • MNLittleFinn
    @instantmartian so I guess my getting up at 0350 for 9 mile runs must seem totally insane
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member

@TattooedDolphinGirl78 The ZR race missions are all great! At what point are you with the story missions? I did all the race missions right after finishing season 1 - which was not the perfect place to fit them in; because it took me a moment to warm up to the idea of running for New Canton. Archie nearly drove me insane with her chatter in the 5k. Fortunately, by the time I did the 20k mission, I had already gotten to like her. But in any case, with those missions you won't be bored, that's for sure.

I'm in Season 2 at the moment, but I've been switching it up a lot lately. I do the intervals, supply runs, airdrops, and now I completed the 2 5K races and just did the Abel 10K this morning. Stats to be posted a little later today. Archie drove me nuts as well and, like you, started to like her... I'm really enjoying the story so far and I signed up for the Fall Virtual Race with a friend.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    7/1- REST
    7/2- REST
    7/3- REST
    7/4- 13.1 RW&B HM 2:15:26
    7/5- REST
    7/6- REST
    7/7- REST
    7/8- REST
    7/9- 5.0
    7/9- 1.0
    7/10- 4.23
    7/11-REST
    7/12- 6.01
    7/13- 4.04
    7/14- 2.01
    7/14- 5.0
    7/15- REST
    7/16-9.06
    7/17- REST
    7/18- 4.03
    7/19- 6.91
    7/20- 7.01
    7/21-8.24
    7/22- REST
    7/23- 14.01
    7/24- REST
    7/25- 4.05
    7/26- 6.82
    7/27- 6.26
    7/28- 7.13
    7/29- REST <--- HA HA didn't happen. 4.02 miles

July Mile goal: 118.08/70

Actual goal: Run the Red White and Boom HM well, recover well, run the Park Point 5 Mile (5 mile PR!) and begin training for September Boundary Waters Bank HM.

Today's notes:Today was SUPPOSED to be a rest day. Well, when I was getting my little man ready for our normal walk, he went to the closet and grabbed my Ghost 8's. I glared at him and our conversation went like this he's 20 months):

Me: *glaring* it's not a run day
    Little Man: *big smile*
    Me: It is NOT a run day
    LM: *bigger smile* HAHAHAHAHA
    Me: Are you serious?
    LM: *even bigger smile and more laughing*
    Me: Ok Ok, I'll go get my gear.

We went 4 miles at 10:06 pace. For an unplanned run, pushing additional weight in the stroller and little man, it was a good run. Tomorrow's long run is going to be more tired than usual though. I've never run the day before a LR in the past....new addition to my running schedule maybe?

This made me laugh... Your little man knows you too well!!!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Ended up just running 10 miles this morning as I couldn't get out of bed in time to get in 20 plus get through all of my daily stuff before my flight back home to Florida tonight. On the plus side, I'll have access to my PC again, but the weather is going to suck. Definitely felt ok for another 5-10 miles by the end of the run (as I'd held off on my long bike ride planned for yesterday afternoon), but I'll just give the 20 a shot in another few days after I have a rest day.

7/2 - 9 miles
    7/4 - 1 mile
    7/5 - 7 miles
    7/6 - 5 miles
    7/7 - 1 mile (lift warmup)
    7/8 - 3 miles
    7/9 - 5 miles
    7/10 - 11.5 miles
    7/12 - 1 mile (lift warmup)
    7/13 - 8 miles
    7/14 - 2 miles
    7/15 - 5 miles
    7/16 - 10 miles
    7/18 - 10 miles
    7/19 - 3.5 miles
    7/20 - 14.5 miles
    7/21 - 8.5 miles
    7/22 - 10 miles
    7/25 - 18 miles
    7/26 - 7 miles
    7/27 - 10 miles
    7/28 - 10 miles
    7/29 - 10 miles

Total: 170 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 10 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
  • _nikkiwolf_
    @MNLittleFinn: Thanks. The coffee maker I use several times per week has a timer on it (on days I'm not using that, I'm using my French press). Unfortunately, it takes me at least an hour to wake up in the mornings. I am an absolute mess otherwise. I think what I need to try to do is wake up, put running attire on, and head out the door before my brain completely understands what is going on, but the prospect of running at 5am is just so completely unappealing to me especially since the idea of simply being awake at that hour is saddening. It's all in my head. I'm working on trying to change my outlook. If only I had my father's love for mornings...
    For me, it's not so much "being awake" that's the issue; but it also takes me 45min or so after stumbling out of bed before I can head out for a run. This is probably TMI, but... after I move around for 30-45 min, I'm ready for bathroom visit #2 - skipping that and heading out of the door right after getting up makes for a lot of discomfort early into the run, and I don't have any public toilets near any of my running routes. So going for a run at 5am would mean getting up at 4:15 :/ Am I the only one who has problem, or is there some clever workaround?
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    My knee is a bit better today. Not sore but still a bit stiff/swollen. I am feeling more optimistic than last night! Thanks everyone for the well wishes and positive thoughts!
    @skippygirlsmom - love the emoji Half Marathon plan!
    @_nikkiwolf_ - I have decided on another pair of Skoras because I have tried too many other brands lately and ended up either not liking and returning them or finding over time that they cause me issues and then I can't return them. So better to stick with what I know works. I actually chatted with one of their customer service guys about the differences in the models and had decided on a different one than what I run in now. The only problem is they are out of my size. They are also out of my size in the ones I currently have in the color I want :( The CS guy did invite me to join a closed group on Facebook for Skora runners. They have discounts and sometimes flash sales for the group and the opportunity to test new models and changes to the older ones. I am very excited about that.

As far as non-running shopping therapy - I bought one shirt on the Nordstrom's sale but that is it.

For the anti-inflammatory fish oil - I take capsules and put them in the freezer so they wouldn't upset my stomach. She had me take extra tumeric and a mega dose of fish oil before I went to bed and then I will take 3 doses again today and tomorrow. It seems to be working about as well as and Aleve or something like that.

I have a question on headphones for the group - does anyone run with wireless headphones or have you tried them and how did they workout? Any experience with Jaybird headphones? They are a bit pricier than I typically spend but there is an Expo discount and a runners discount this weekend...

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    @_nikkiwolf_ -I am right there with you babe!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    3 easy miles today because I am exhausted. 13 minute pace.
    Bowled 4 games yesterday and I have a tournament tonight. I am going to be one pooped puppy for my planned long walk tomorrow.

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    @RespectTheKitty nice job running, easy miles should be most of your miles. Oh, and I saw you totally smashed your goal. Awesome job!
  • _nikkiwolf_

I'm in Season 2 at the moment, but I've been switching it up a lot lately. I do the intervals, supply runs, airdrops, and now I completed the 2 5K races and just did the Abel 10K this morning. Stats to be posted a little later today. Archie drove me nuts as well and, like you, started to like her... I'm really enjoying the story so far and I signed up for the Fall Virtual Race with a friend.
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 I'm halfway through season 3, but I started doing more supply missions, airdrops etc as well recently, to slow down my "mission consumption". I don't ever want to run out of new story missions.
    Awesome that you are doing the virtual race this fall too - that will be the first time I'm running in the same race as someone from this challenge - maybe only virtually, but still cool B)

@lporter229 At least I'm not the only one!

@shanaber I hadn't ever seen Skoras anywere, I guess they aren't very well-known here... Regarding the headphones: I bought some plantronics backbeats about half a year ago. Right after buying them, they didn't feel comfortable during long runs when combined with glasses and a hat on top (like the hat pressed the glasses agains the headphones and that started to hurt after about 90 mins). I think now I've got the right way of putting the little wings inside my ears, I don't even notice them anymore, not even after a 3h run. So by now I really like them, the sound quality is good, the battery lasts longer than I can run, and I haven't managed to destroy them even in the heaviest rain (that's how the two cheaperhead phones before them died...).

-
    I did a bit of shopping myself. It's been so hot, and my long runs are getting longer, so I need to figure out a way to take more water with me. I like my belt with a 500ml bottle at the back, but one bottle just isn't doing the trick anymore. I ordered a hydration backpack for a large water bladder and a vest with two large bottles at the back; I was really excited that the shipment arrived today, because I want to test them on a shorter run on Saturday before going on a long run with one of them on Sunday. Doesn't look like that will happen, though - after trying them on and jogging around a bit inside the apartment, I can already tell that the bottles on the vest sit too far outside for me, I keep brushing them with my arms. That one's going to be sent back for sure.
    The hydration back is super-confortable. Alas, it came without the hydration bladder! Maybe I'll try it anyway, with a regular bottle stuffed in there instead, to see how it feels to run with the weight on my back...

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Got my goal in there. One of these days I'm going to have to figure out those tickers.